PDA

View Full Version : Lava Kraken: Worse than an acid shark

MarkusWolfe
2011-05-15, 10:41 AM
A long while back, I was fighting some devils on a bridge over a lava pit when one of them spoke in the Dark Tongue. When asked why it was doing this, the DM suggested that he was calling some other creature. I immediately the conceived the notion of a lava kraken: a kraken that lived in a volcano instead of an ocean and was immune to fire damage. Fortunately, this was not what the DM had prepared for us. Unfortunately, I blurted out this idea and another one of the players (who usually DMs) said he liked the idea enough to use it someday. Meep.

The immunity to fire damage isn't what's going to make this a challenging fight. It's that instead of dragging you to a watery grave, this kraken is going to dunk you into 20d6 of fire damage per round. Given that a normal kraken is CR 12 with a grapple modifier of +44, can anyone approximate the CR of this beastie?

Welknair
2011-05-15, 11:08 AM
Magma Kraken, my friend. Magma kraken.

Well if you're traveling around in the Hells or other places where lava pits are a common occurrence, I'd certainly expect you to have a Protection from Energy or Energy Resistance set up. I'd bump it up a CR or a two.

Siosilvar
2011-05-15, 12:51 PM
Just remember that
An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma.

Solaris
2011-05-15, 04:39 PM
Magma Kraken, my friend. Magma kraken.

Well if you're traveling around in the Hells or other places where lava pits are a common occurrence, I'd certainly expect you to have a Protection from Energy or Energy Resistance set up. I'd bump it up a CR or a two.

If he's dipping you in it, it's lava. Magma is the stuff that's still underground.

Welknair
2011-05-15, 05:06 PM
If he's dipping you in it, it's lava. Magma is the stuff that's still underground.

It was a reference...

The Tygre
2011-05-16, 02:44 AM
It was a reference...

Indeed it 'tis. (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Spells:Magma_Kraken) And don't you mean MAGMA KRAKEN! instead of 'magma kraken'?

Welknair
2011-05-16, 08:59 AM
Indeed it 'tis. (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Spells:Magma_Kraken) And don't you mean MAGMA KRAKEN! instead of 'magma kraken'?

That's the one. Though admittedly, my players have argued that the second it emerges, it would indeed be a Lava Kraken. The spell only allows you to control the Magma Kraken you summon, not a Lava Kraken. So you'd lose control and it would eat you. Unless you were fighting inside the earth. Which isn't entirely impossible in Exalted...

But yeah.