PDA

View Full Version : CL independent Blasting spells.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 11:24 AM
Do they exist? Preferably in the spell level 1-4 range.

This is mostly so I can wand them, and then use the wand to fuel a Spellstoring weapon; problem being that most blasty spell need high CL which makes wands really expensive.

I

mint
2011-05-15, 11:33 AM
Not so much.

Spells like scorching ray where you get another ray at a certain level, maybe?
But probably not.

Ernir
2011-05-15, 11:39 AM
I don't think you're going to get blasty, good, targeted, and CL-Independent all at once. Especially since rays don't work.

Why does it have to be blasty?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 11:40 AM
4d6 is not much; but can work well as an opener move I guess and a second level wand is not that expensive (2250 GP for a CL 3 wand)...hmm guess it is as good as it gets.

Edit: It doesn't have to be blasty per se; but a good candidate for spell storing. And I just noticed rays won't work ¬¬...

gallagher
2011-05-15, 11:59 AM
4d6 is not much; but can work well as an opener move I guess and a second level wand is not that expensive (2250 GP for a CL 3 wand)...hmm guess it is as good as it gets.

Edit: It doesn't have to be blasty per se; but a good candidate for spell storing. And I just noticed rays won't work ¬¬...

well since it is spell storing, get a net. its a touch attack and it is very silly looking when you picture it in your head.

and my favorite spell for it would be dispell magic, but if you are going blasty, any AoE would work in this sitch

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 12:14 PM
well since it is spell storing, get a net. its a touch attack and it is very silly looking when you picture it in your head.

and my favorite spell for it would be dispell magic, but if you are going blasty, any AoE would work in this sitch

Net wouldn't work, as this would be my main weapons a +1 shadow hand Magebane spellstoring morphing shuriken and a +1 shadow hand illusion bane morphing mage bane shuriken.

Edit: Which BTW is rougly 3000 GP :smallcool:

Retech
2011-05-15, 12:39 PM
But don't they break after one use?

Aspenor
2011-05-15, 12:42 PM
But don't they break after one use?

No, because he is morphing them into something more useful.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 12:47 PM
No, because he is morphing them into something more useful.

Daggers or if I can wing it Dragonspits :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-05-15, 12:52 PM
So... what you're really after is something that'll cause significant issues for your opponent, but doesn't have much in the way of save negates or level-dependent benefits?

Hmm...

Ray of Exhaustion still Fatigues the target on a successful save, and is Instant. Makes a useful Debuff against anyone without SR or Mettle.

NNescio
2011-05-15, 01:40 PM
Ice Knife (SpC), deals 2d8 cold damage + 2 Dex damage to a single target on a hit, and explodes into a 10-ft radius burst if it misses (similar to a thrown splash weapon), dealing 1d8 cold damage to creatures in its area.

Attack roll is CL dependent, damage is not.

Icelance (SpC), deals 6d6 damage (half cold, half piercing), and target must make a fort save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. Spell effects are completely independent of CL.

Both spells are also instantaneous Conjuration spells, so they punch through SR like it's nobody's business.

Zaq
2011-05-15, 01:42 PM
If you have SA, Wracking Touch (SpC and I think CArc, but don't quote me on the second one) is an excellent Spell Storing candidate. Without SA, of course, it's lackluster at best, but meh.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 02:09 PM
Ice Knife (SpC), deals 2d8 cold damage + 2 Dex damage to a single target on a hit, and explodes into a 10-ft radius burst if it misses (similar to a thrown splash weapon), dealing 1d8 cold damage to creatures in its area.

Attack roll is CL dependent, damage is not.

Icelance (SpC), deals 6d6 damage (half cold, half piercing), and target must make a fort save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. Spell effects are completely independent of CL.

Both spells are also instantaneous Conjuration spells, so they punch through SR like it's nobody's business.

Ice Knife works extremely well thanks.

Godskook
2011-05-15, 02:10 PM
How are you getting a melee/thrown enchantment(morphing) on something that is:

"...treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions".

?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 02:17 PM
They are still throwing weapons, so they qualify for morphing.

NNescio
2011-05-15, 02:21 PM
Ice Knife works extremely well thanks.

You're welcome.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-15, 02:38 PM
You're welcome.

Besides the mental image is awesome, you strike someone and then a ice knife forms in the wound deepening it :smallamused:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-15, 02:57 PM
Power Word: Pain (Sor/Wiz 1) in Races of the Dragon deals 1d6 per round, with a duration based on the target's HP at the time it's cast. There's no saving throw, and if you add Fell Drain for +2 it also deals a negative level every round for a 3rd level spell cost.

Creeping Cold (Druid 2) lasts three rounds, and deals 1d6 then 2d6 then 3d6 on each of those rounds, Fort half. If you Extend it for a 3rd level spell, it would last six rounds, and on the next three it would be another 4d6, then 5d6, then 6d6, for a total of 21d6 damage over six rounds regardless of caster level.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-15, 04:23 PM
Sudden metamagic + Call Lightning for a standard action lightning weapon you can use each turn.

Cog
2011-05-15, 04:36 PM
They are still throwing weapons, so they qualify for morphing.
They are used as throwing weapons, but you have no choice but to consider them as ammunition for the purposes of crafting. Ammunition is a separate category from thrown; it's either or.

Runestar
2011-05-16, 04:11 AM
Ice storm doesn't scale with caster lv, but its damage stinks anyways.