PDA

View Full Version : So, has Kazumi had that baby yet?

Thattaman
2011-05-15, 02:01 PM
Last time we saw our favourite two Azurite randomers, Kazumi was well underway into her pregnancy. All the threads about how much time has passed since the collpase of Azure City has made me think: Daigo and Kazumi must be parents now, right? I look forwward to seeing their child next time they and the Order meet.

NerfTW
2011-05-15, 02:13 PM
If not now then very soon, in the next week or so. She was already two months pregnant 3.5 months into the voyage. Azure city was overthrown 11 months ago when Redcloak made his speach, one week after the teleport. So at 10.5 months into the voyage. That leaves 7 months from when Roy started scrying to his resurrection. So 9 months, give or take at that point. Since it's been over a week to get to the continent and find the fake gate, that's almost 9.5 exactly.

Given 9.5 months for a pregnancy on average, the baby should be being born during this story line, if not already.

edit- fixed my brain fart that had the pregnancy occurring before the teleport. :P

t209
2011-05-15, 08:31 PM
She might have dated daigo for 2 months and then got pregnant for the calculation.
It been 1 year (and a week) since Azure city fell.
so, 9 months for pregnancy (average).
so 12-9=4 months and subtract 2 months for pregnancy or dating.

Yendor
2011-05-15, 09:48 PM
It was 16 weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) after the battle when Roy saw the wedding (when Kazumi was "already eight weeks' pregnant (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)"), so she became pregnant about 8 weeks after the battle. When we last saw Redcloak (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html), it was six weeks until the one-year anniversary, so 46 weeks after the battle. It's been a few days since then, so it's maybe a week before Kazumi is due.

NerfTW
2011-05-15, 09:56 PM
She might have dated daigo for 2 months and then got pregnant for the calculation.

One does not normally say "eight weeks pregnant" when they are referring to dating.

It been 1 year (and a week) since Azure city fell

No, as I said, Redcloak said "in six weeks" was the anniversary. Meaning 11 months. If it had been a year, Belkar would be dead by now.

12-9=4 months and subtract 2 months for pregnancy or dating.

Twelve minus 9 is 3, not four.

Here's my calculations:

498: Roy has been dead for 103 days, or 3.5 months.
501: (after about three days travel down the mountain)Kazumi is eight weeks (2 months) pregnant.

So the conception was 1.5 months after the fall of Azure city.
The birth will therefore be 9.5 months after that, 11 months after the fall.

702: The teleport occurred one week earlier than this strip. The one year anniversary is six weeks away.
Therefore, the teleport occurred 7 weeks (1.5 months, 10.5 months after the attack) before one year anniversary.
This strip occurred before they entered the Empire of Blood, and it's only been a few days since then. (Since otherwise Belkar's prophecy would have triggered by now.)
That means the child is either born or about to be born in the next few days.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-15, 10:05 PM
The bub could be "fashionably late". I was.

NerfTW
2011-05-15, 10:09 PM
Unless for some reason he wants to work "the baby is late" into the story, I see no reason to stray from the 40 week average for human gestation, and no reason to assume it will. Besides showing the Azurites as something more than just paladins and soldiers, it's also serving as a handy quick idea of how long it's been in the story. Extending it by a few weeks serves no purpose.

eggynack
2011-05-15, 10:14 PM
Daigo and Kazumi are side characters (albeit awesome and loveable side characters). The next time we see them the baby will likely have already been alive for a few months.

t209
2011-05-16, 07:12 PM
Daigo and Kazumi are side characters (albeit awesome and loveable side characters). The next time we see them the baby will likely have already been alive for a few months.

or Katos having problem raising to kid since he kicks and punches a lot like a kung fu master.(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html)

MoonCat
2011-05-16, 07:31 PM
or Katos having problem raising to kid since he kicks and punches a lot like a kung fu master.(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html)

Kazumi would never have trouble managing her baby. Diago might get knocked out by it though.

veti
2011-05-16, 09:47 PM
Unless for some reason he wants to work "the baby is late" into the story, I see no reason to stray from the 40 week average for human gestation, and no reason to assume it will.

Except that babies are nearly always either early or late. Fewer than 5% of them are born on their theoretical due date. Anything up to two weeks either way is considered entirely normal.

G-Man Graves
2011-05-16, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't count on finding out any time soon/. Whether or not the young individual shows up on time is a superfluous detail to something that is so non-critical that it wouldn't justify a cut away. Perhaps there will be a two panel congratulations when they rejoin the azurites on the way to the final gate.

MoonCat
2011-05-16, 09:56 PM
Just as importantly, girl or boy?

NerfTW
2011-05-17, 02:30 PM
Except that babies are nearly always either early or late.

Yeah, that's why it's called an average. :smallconfused:

The baby could also be miscarried, should I have mentioned that?

The point is 9.5 months is the average, and therefore usually used in fiction outside of requiring it to be early or late for the plot. Sure, it could be a whole month late, but that's pointless extra plot. We don't need to list the infinite number of ways it could be off, including time warps and universe destroying monsters being unleashed.

Bedinsis
2011-05-17, 04:31 PM

:eek: No you shouldn't.

G-Man Graves
2011-05-17, 05:05 PM
Yeah, that's why it's called an average. :smallconfused:

Last I checked, this comic's art was too good for it to be Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

veti
2011-05-17, 05:24 PM
The point is 9.5 months is the average, and therefore usually used in fiction outside of requiring it to be early or late for the plot. Sure, it could be a whole month late, but that's pointless extra plot. We don't need to list the infinite number of ways it could be off, including time warps and universe destroying monsters being unleashed.

Oh, I beg your pardon. I thought you were saying "the baby should be born 40 weeks after conception". (It's 38 weeks, incidentally - the 40-week calculation is counted from the mother's last menstrual period, not from the date of conception, simply because trying to work out the latter could involve some excessively personal questions.)

Still, there's no reason why the baby being either early or late should be a plot point. It's an extremely normal event, no more remarkable than, say, Belkar getting sunburn.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-05-18, 06:01 AM
And if the birth happens off-screen, I’d hardly call its timing a plot point. I don’t think any of the Order are sufficiently attached to the Katos to care heavily enough about being present for the kid’s birth.

Even if it was on-screen, being a little late or early with respect to the projected due date doesn’t make it a plot point either. Just a throwaway line at most is all that is necessary, and then the birth—the real plot point—happening when the baby and story are good and ready.

JSSheridan
2011-05-18, 01:20 PM

10 gp says it's a girl.

10 more gp says it's Miko reincarnated. :smalltongue:

Dvandemon
2011-05-18, 01:41 PM

Since the baby is technically a part of her, does it get XP?

ArcaneSaint
2011-05-18, 02:53 PM
Since the baby is technically a part of her, does it get XP?

So what do we have? A strong suspicion that the baby has martial-arts related skills, a possibility that the baby may have already acquired some XP and already there is speculation about the uncertainty of his/her gender (as there is regarding V's gender).

If we are to assume that, yes, the baby has received XP as it's technically still part of K's body, but with a soul of his own, so it'd be like a Soul Splice (and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html) it's explained that the whole "no XP during slice" has to do with some"effective level"-thingamajig, and a baby's level can't be that high) So it's probably also received some levels either when her parents leveled and/or when K killed all those assassins.

The baby's also a "strong kicker", so it's very likely that s/he has spend her levels/XPs on martial-arts types of classes. S/he also originates from a culture known for it's paladin's and ninja's (the latter being more known by the noble families).

Uncertainty of gender, well, the only way to be unsure is if you can't actually get a visual confirmation of the gender. Like V, who is always drawn is such a way that both genders could fit the picture. As it's highly unlikely for this (side)-character to be an androgynous elf wizard, there will have to be another reason for the uncertainty. Like being so good at Hiding it's impossible to see him/her long (or clear) enough to confirm gender.

This can only lead to one conclusion, namely that the baby, when born, will already be a high-level Ninja of undetermined gender since no one has been able to take a good look at him/her("It's a.. damn, failed my Spot check").

Also, it's late and I'm tired.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-18, 04:53 PM
I'm guessing that if Belkar dies in this book, then during the denouement we'll see the baby being born (off-panel) or cut to him/her already being born, to do the cheesy "as one life ends, another begins" theme.

mizzim
2011-05-18, 05:08 PM
10 more gp says it's Miko reincarnated. :smalltongue:

That... would be epic.

t209
2011-05-18, 06:20 PM
That... would be epic.

Hope the baby won't be orphaned, be a monk and turned into a pea brained paladin who wanted to kill characters who will not accept the baby's view.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-18, 06:52 PM
Hope the baby won't be orphaned, be a monk and turned into a pea brained paladin who wanted to kill characters who will not accept the baby's view.
<Obligatory post that says the baby already has been orphaned because the baby is in fact a time travelling Miko because adding time travel to a silly joke theory instantly makes it oh-so-wacky!>

t209
2011-05-18, 11:16 PM
<Obligatory post that says the baby already has been orphaned because the baby is in fact a time travelling Miko because adding time travel to a silly joke theory instantly makes it oh-so-wacky!>

This isn't time travel, it's about the baby probability of having same attitude and probably having same background as Miko!

KoboldRevenge
2011-05-19, 12:41 AM
If the baby already has XP what do you think it's spending it on? "Weapon Focus": Baby Rattle"? :smallbiggrin:

Hironomus
2011-05-20, 01:38 PM
Is anyone else worried about the possible effects an epic teleportation spell could have on the baby?!? :smalleek:

I know I am.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-05-24, 02:54 PM
I'm guessing that if Belkar dies in this book, then during the denouement we'll see the baby being born (off-panel) or cut to him/her already being born, to do the cheesy "as one life ends, another begins" theme.

I have the answer... it is an awesome answer to this all. The answer is the baby is not a baby, but twins, a boy and a girl... as Belkar dies, Miko's soul will try to attack his, they will be struggling and fighting and end up entering the twins, who will be born fighting and be the reincarnations of Miko and Belkar. As they will be named by their parents, the boy will no longer be Belkar, but as their bodies have gained XP, the babies will be close to Leveling. The question is will the reincarnated Miko take Charisma as her dump stat again and will the reincarnated Belkar take wisdom as his dump stat again... maybe he has learned his lesson and will choose strength as his dump stat.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-24, 03:04 PM
I have the answer... it is an awesome answer to this all. The answer is the baby is not a baby, but twins, a boy and a girl... as Belkar dies, Miko's soul will try to attack his, they will be struggling and fighting and end up entering the twins, who will be born fighting and be the reincarnations of Miko and Belkar. As they will be named by their parents, the boy will no longer be Belkar, but as their bodies have gained XP, the babies will be close to Leveling. The question is will the reincarnated Miko take Charisma as her dump stat again and will the reincarnated Belkar take wisdom as his dump stat again... maybe he has learned his lesson and will choose strength as his dump stat.

http://www.gifninja.com/animatedgifs/8966/ryan-doubts-that.gif

Morph Bark
2011-05-24, 03:09 PM
The bub could be "fashionably late". I was.

Unborn babies know about fashion? :smalltongue:

King of Nowhere
2011-05-24, 03:19 PM
Last time we saw the katos, was around one week ago in comic time (more than one year in real life...). Two, tops.
Since the calculations shown are rigth, and kaazumi should be more or less at the rigth moment, there is a non-negligible chance the baby is born, but the greater chance is that he's not.

Ancalagon
2011-06-23, 03:20 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Asthanius
2011-06-23, 04:26 PM
Listen. Kazumi is EXTREMELY genre savvy. I mean, that's how she got her freakin' name! She said her name because she knew she'd die otherwise. I think that she'd be genre savvy enough to not let the baby be born until it's either:
A) A plot device
or
B) Necessary

Tanngrisnir
2011-06-23, 04:39 PM
Listen. Kazumi is EXTREMELY genre savvy. I mean, that's how she got her freakin' name! She said her name because she knew she'd die otherwise. I think that she'd be genre savvy enough to not let the baby be born until it's either:
A) A plot device
or
B) Necessary

Just to clear this up, she didn't say her name because she was about to die, she said her name because she was showing that she was not an unnamed NPC, as one of the Order had implied.

Diago was then wounded and it was he telling Kazumi his name as a final act that saved him. He didn't do it as an attempt to save himself, though he is now keeping his last name secret for just such an occasion.

Shown here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html)

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-06-23, 06:08 PM
Just to clear this up, she didn't say her name because she was about to die, she said her name because she was showing that she was not an unnamed NPC, as one of the Order had implied.

Diago was then wounded and it was he telling Kazumi his name as a final act that saved him. He didn't do it as an attempt to save himself, though he is now keeping his last name secret for just such an occasion.

Shown here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html)
Though the fact that they realize they should keep Daigo’s name available for an emergency does indicate a certain amount of savvy. Just not enough to realize how useful the name thing is when it originally mattered. They’re simply learning, that’s all. :smallsmile:

Zorgophlats
2011-06-24, 01:28 AM

I'm just surprised we haven't had a Doctor Who reference yet. This could be the one. :)

curtis
2011-06-25, 02:14 PM
I'm just surprised we haven't had a Doctor Who reference yet. This could be the one. :)

I'm a time-traveling reincarnation of Belkar Bitterleaf born to Kazumi and Diego Kato as one of a set of twins, the other one being Miko reincarnated. Time-traveling reincarnations of Belkar Bitterleaf born to Kazumi and Diego Kato as one of a set of twins, the other one being Miko reincarnated are cool.

This can only lead to one conclusion, namely that the baby, when born, will already be a high-level Ninja of undetermined gender since no one has been able to take a good look at him/her("It's a.. damn, failed my Spot check").

10gp says that last line is used in the comic at some point.