PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Druid all the way vs. Landforged Walker

Torvon
2011-05-15, 03:12 PM
Heya guys. My warforged druid reached level 7 and I am not sure where to take him from there.

So far the lovely guy has augment summoning (with prerequesite spell focus: conj.), natural spell, sudden extend spell, ironwood body (we play with Pathfinder feat progression, so he'll also get a new feat at level 7).

He's responsible for healing & buffing & utility in the group, and to offtank with his summons.

STR12 DEX12 CON16 WIS18 INT14 CHA8 (yep, WIS18 is bad for that level, but I have a periapt of wisdom +1 currently, the +1 bonus from level4, and started with 18-2 due to warforged. that makes 18 now.)

I rarely memorize damage spells, since our psion rocks pretty hard, as does the other psionic class (shaper?) who summons astral construts a lot.

My druid's wildshape sucks pretty hard currently, leopard or cheetah or black bear ... not really useful. And I won't get Wild Shape LARGE until level 8, hm.

So, my question:
Continue druid all the way or go for the PrC Landforged Walker (Secrets of Xendrik). Fluff-wise, I really like the class, I'm just not sure whether it's very very bad mechanics-wise.

First of all, taking it means I will have to take the feat "natural bond" to ensure that my animal companion doesn't suck too hard. Then, I will not get any decent wild shape until level 11 (I don't continue the druid wild shape progression, and Landforged Walker only allows Plant Shape at the 5th level of the PrC). Also, I miss out on one caster level, since 5 levels of PrC only offer 4 caster levels.

What I get for it is defenses (+2AC), damage resistances, +4 will against a couple of effects, some pretty lousy extra healing, and of course the awesome Plant Wild Shape.

Basically, most of what the PrC offers is DEFENSE, but I don't intend to tank (until I get the awesome plant shape), instead stand back, cast, fight with my animal companion, buff, heal, and wild shape for utility or emergency purposes (again, forms I can take just suck really hard).

I'd love to hear your ideas regarding the PrC.

Thanks guys
Torvon

Urpriest
2011-05-15, 03:45 PM
Your periapt is +2, not +1, so that should increase your Wisdom some. +1 stat items do not exist and are specifically not supposed to be homebrewed.

tyckspoon
2011-05-15, 03:58 PM
Mechanically, it's much better applied as a Cleric prestige class. Druids give up too much for the lackluster benefits of the class- dropping Wildshape and Animal Companion progression in exchange for only 4/5 spellcasting and some pretty trivial defenses? Yeah, no thanks. The only decent reason for the class is getting Plant Wildshape 2 levels sooner than a straight Druid (note that as you are already level 7, if you just stick with Druid you'll get Plant type at level 12 either way) and much faster access to Huge forms. The down side is that it's only Plant types with Landforged Walker, which basically means you'll be turning into a Treant all the time.. I don't recall any other notably great Plant forms.

If you really wanted to do it, I would take one more level of straight Druid (or a PrC that advances Wildshaping) to get Large forms, so your animal choices stop sucking too bad, and then go into Landforged.. but more, I'd just skip Landforged.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-15, 04:06 PM
Leopard gets full attack on a charge, so animal growth yourself and then charge :P

One option would be to take the form of a bird/bat and cast summoning spells and entangle from the sky. This strategy remains reasonably viable into the game, though you want Tiny for end game. I would suggest against Landforged unless you are going to take an accelerated wildshape prc afterwords.

*.*.*.*
2011-05-15, 04:09 PM
Planar Shepard and never look back. If You want healing, tie yourself to the positive energy plane and spend the rest of you're spells on BFC or just rocking house.

Mad Gene Vane
2011-05-15, 04:14 PM
Unless you plan on using wild shape a lot, the PrC offers more benefits. It's a 5 level PrC, if you took at level 8, you would take the PrC levels till level 12 and you can then do some different things with your character build.

Looking at the Pathfinder progression of Druid powers from level 8 to 12, you gain an increase in your wild shape ability 3 times at the even number levels and an immunity to poison at level 9.

Warforged are already immune to poison, so the level 9 power doesn't benefit you.

If you wait till level 9 to take the PrC, thus gaining the level 8 wild shape abilities, you give up the level 13 power of a "Thousand Faces", which lets you use alter self at will.

The ability to grow healing herbs on your body, which is described as healing damage equal to class level x wisdom mod is pretty good. There's no mention of warforged taking any reduction in HP's healed, unlike with other divine magic. At class level 10 (lvl 3 PrC) you can heal 40 points of damage, with your +4 Wis. mod., with this ability.

I am of the opinion there's never enough healing in any party.

If I was playing a druid, I'd look at becoming an Arcane Heirophant. You have to take 3 levels of wizard, because you need to be able to cast 2nd level arcane spells, but its a 10 level PrC that allows you to gain spells in divine and arcane spells.

The class levels stack with druid levels for determining Wild Shape abilities.

Arcane heirophant link: http://rpg.divnull.com/wiki/index.php/Arcane_Hierophant_%28Pathfinder%29

Races of Wild. by WoC, combines a Wizard's familiar level progression with a druid's animal companion's level progression, creating a really awesome companion.

The Pathfinder Arcane Heirophant link doesn't seem to reference that ability.

Maybe your DM will let you mix and match the PrC to get the best abilities out of it.

Anyway, to conclude take the Landwalker PrC. The only ability, other than Wild Shape you gain as a druid is immunity to poison, which you already have as a warforged.

If you want to try and pick up 3 wizard levels and have your Wild Shape ability continue to progress (except for those 3 wizard levels), think about the Arcane Heirophant PrC. You'll have tons of spells at your disposal.

tyckspoon
2011-05-15, 04:21 PM
The ability to grow healing herbs on your body, which is described as healing damage equal to class level x wisdom mod is pretty good. There's no mention of warforged taking any reduction in HP's healed, unlike with other divine magic. At class level 10 (lvl 3 PrC) you can heal 40 points of damage, with your +4 Wis. mod., with this ability.

Unfortunately 'Class level' refers only to the levels of the particular class the ability comes from, which means each of your herbs would heal 12 points of damage. Roughly the same as a maximum heal from a CL 5 Cure Light Wounds potion..which is pretty sad for a level 8-10 ability. If they want you to use your entire character level in a calculation, they'll actually write "character level" (compare to Plant Wildshape ability at level five of the Landforged Walker, which says "Use your total character level to determine duration and maximum Hit Dice.." which is pretty cool, because you could go into Commoner after the PrC and still improve that ability.)

Mad Gene Vane
2011-05-15, 04:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I always get that confused between class and character levels.

Torvon
2011-05-16, 05:36 PM
You guys are amazing, thank you very much.

I did decide to go for one more level of druid.

(1) What do you think about the feat "Rapid Spell"? It sounds perfect for summoning (which I'm doing a lot), or do I miss something?

(2) Enhance Wild Shape: any decent plant forms worth taking with 7HD? Also, which (ex) abilities are worth to take? Does anyone have a reasonable list of "exploits" for this spell? I can't find anything on google.

Thanks
Torvon

faceroll
2011-05-16, 05:46 PM
Leopard gets full attack on a charge, so animal growth yourself and then charge :P

One option would be to take the form of a bird/bat and cast summoning spells and entangle from the sky. This strategy remains reasonably viable into the game, though you want Tiny for end game. I would suggest against Landforged unless you are going to take an accelerated wildshape prc afterwords.

I've found leopard from extremely underwhelming. Low strength, small class damage, miss a lot. Not cool. Especially vs. anything with DR.

Torvon
2011-05-16, 05:57 PM
I've found leopard from extremely underwhelming. Low strength, small class damage, miss a lot. Not cool. Especially vs. anything with DR.

My animal companion is leopard. At level 6, including warbeast template and equipment and buffs, the damage is still ridiculous.