PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Knight: a Spell-less Paladin (very work-in-progress)

Ziegander
2011-05-15, 04:46 PM
The Holy Knight (WORK IN PROGRESS)
There is still much, much to do.

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/6/6a/QuestingKnight.jpg/399px-QuestingKnight.jpg

Hit Die: 1d12
Alignment: Must be Lawful Good

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Mount, Smite, Steely Resolve 5, Knight's Challenge

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Lay on Hands, Divine Grace

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Bulwark of Defense

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Armor Mastery, Steely Resolve 10

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Blessed Mount

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Shield Ally

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Hand of Justice

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Test of Mettle, Steely Resolve 15

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Holy Armaments

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Shining Charger

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Judgment

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Unassailable Ward, Steely Resolve 20

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Hand of Fate

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Glorious Cavalier, Ironsight

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Impetuous Endurance, Steely Resolve 25

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Beyond Life or Death

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Celestial Crusader, Steely Resolve 30
[/table]

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier): Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (History, Local, Nature, Religion), Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, and Swim.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Holy Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (including tower shields).

Mount (Ex): A Holy Knight begins play with a mount suited to his size. If he is medium this is a Heavy Warhorse equipped with leather barding. If he is small this is a Riding Dog equipped with studded leather barding. The Holy Knight also gains Mounted Combat as a bonus feat even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Smite (Su): A number of times per day equal to his class level + his Charisma modifier, when a Holy Knight witnesses a creature commit an evil act his next attack against the creature, if made within the next minute, receives a morale bonus to the attack roll equal to his charisma modifier and deals 1d6 extra damage per class level resulting directly from divine power. Smite may apply to multiple attacks made in the same round so long as all of the attacks are made within the same round as the Holy Knight's first attack against the target since having witnessed the targeted creature commit an evil act.

Steely Resolve (Ex): As Crusader (delayed damage pool 5 at 1st level, 10 at 4th, 15 at 8th, 20 at 12th, 25 at 16th, 30 at 20th).

Knight's Challenge (Ex): As a swift action, a Holy Knight may designate a single foe within his line of sight, challenging his foe to single combat. As long as the Holy Knight maintains the challenge (a free action), he receives a morale bonus to attack rolls and AC against that foe equal to +1 per 5 points in his delayed damage pool. That foe is not required to meet the Holy Knight in combat, although while the challenge is maintained, it is considered an evil act any time the designated foe attacks one of the Holy Knight's allies or includes them within the area or as a target of a harmful spell or effect.

Lay on Hands (Su): Starting at 2nd level, as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, by spending a daily use of Smite, a Holy Knight may lay hands on a creature producing the effects of the delay poison and remove fear spells as well as restoring 1 hit point per class level. For every 4 hit points restored this way 1 point of temporary ability damage is also removed.

If at least 5 hit points are restored this way the fatigued and/or paralyzed conditions are also removed. If at least 7 hit points are restored this way the Holy Knight's touch produces the effects of the neutralize poison and remove curse spells. If at least 9 hit points are restored this way the Paladin's touch produces the effects of the break enchantment and remove disease spells but also removes the blinded, deafened, and/or exhausted conditions. If at least 11 hit points are restored this way all negative levels as well as any and all of the following conditions: blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned.

A Holy Knight may use this ability on himself as a swift action and without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Divine Grace (Su): Starting at 2nd level a Holy Knight adds his charisma modifier to his saving throws.

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a Holy Knight threatens an area as if his reach were extended by 5ft. Additionally, foes treat all squares within the Holy Knight's threatened area as difficult terrain and. Finally, allies within the Holy Knight's threatened area gain the full benefits of the Holy Knight's shield, if he carries one. Allies not carrying a shield receive the Holy Knight's shield bonus to their AC as well as any other special benefits the Holy Knight may get from his shield because of feats, special abilities, or unique traits of the shield itself whenever the Holy Knight would himself benefit from them (such as the Tower Shield's ability to grant Cover).

Armor Mastery (Ex): A 4th level Holy Knight's movements are fully unrestricted when wearing armor of any kind. He ignores the maximum dexterity bonus, the armor check penalty, and the speed reduction of armors he wears and may run in any type of armor.

Blessed Mount (Su): At 5th level [...] (to be completed).

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 6th level, whenever an enemy hits an ally adjacent to the Holy Knight the enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from the Holy Knight. If the Holy Knight uses a Shield Bash as his attack of opportunity his attack is resolved before the provoking enemy's, and if the bash hits the enemy's attack simply fails. Further, instead of taking his attack of opportunity the Holy Knight may instead take half the damage dealt from the provoking enemy's attack. If he does this it still counts against his attacks of opportunity for the round.

Hand of Justice (Su): Beginning at 7th level, by spending a daily use of Smite and a swift action, a Holy Knight may empty his delayed damage pool to imbue all attacks he makes until the start of his next turn with divine retribution. He loses hit points equal to the damage in his delayed damage pool, but until the start of his next turn attacks he makes against the target(s) of his Knight's Challenge deal that much extra damage.

Test of Mettle (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a Holy Knight may use his Knight's Challenge feature to designate any number of foes within his line of sight up to his charisma modifier.

Holy Armaments (Su): Starting at 9th level, any weapon wielded by a Holy Knight is treated as a magic weapon and as if it were enchanted with the Holy weapon property. This does not grant the weapon any enhancement bonus to attack or damage rolls.

Shining Charger (Su): ...

Judgment (Su): Starting at 11th level, at the end of every turn in which a target of your Knight's Challenge ability doesn't attack or include you within the area or as a target of a harmful spell or effect, that creature is dealt 6d6 damage resulting from raw divine power.

Unassailable Ward (Ex): Beginning at 12th level, When you are dealt damage from an attack and all of the damage from the attack is added to your delayed damage pool rather than dealt directly to your hit points, if that attack carried any additional effects such as poison, paralysis, or stun any such effects are also delayed until you would actually be dealt that damage. If that damage is removed from your delayed damage pool before the end of your next turn (perhaps from healing), or if Damage Reduction would reduce the damage you would take to 0, you ignore the additional effects entirely.

Hand of Fate (Su): Beginning at 13th level, whenever you use your Hand of Justice ability, if you are delaying additional effects through your Unassailable Ward ability, until your next turn if you hit a creature targeted by your Knight's Challenge ability (phew!) that creature makes a single Fort save (DC 10+1/2 your Holy Knight level+Charisma modifier). If this save fails the creature succumbs to all additional effects that you had delayed before you activated Hand of Justice.

Glorious Cavalier (Su): ...

Ironsight (Ex): Beginning at 15th level, a Holy Knight may use his Knight's Challenge feature to designate any number of foes within his line of sight at no limit.

Impetuous Endurance (Ex): As Knight.

Beyond Life and Death (Su): ...

Celestial Crusader (Su): ...

Holy Thunder (Su): As a full round action, you deal 10d8 damage to all creatures you've targeted with Knight's Challenge. Half the damage is electricity, the other half is sonic. You may also roll a single melee attack. If you do, compare the result to the AC of all creatures you've targeted with Knight's Challenge suffers all the normal damage and effects as if you hit them with a melee attack as well as being knocked prone.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-05-15, 08:06 PM
My two cents aren't worth much, but I like it, I've always thought that the Paladin would be fun to play, but I've never been great with spells. And to give it the abilities of the Knight are great. The Cha stacking is also pretty nice as well.

Ziegander
2011-05-19, 03:55 PM
Working on this little by little.

My tentative plans now are to alternate with supernatural Paladin-like features on the odd levels and extraordinary Knight-like features on the even levels. The Holy Knight is skilled in mounted combat, as well as in shield usage and armor training. As he gains levels he will gain advantages with his mount, his shield, and his armor that no other class has. More than that, he is a Holy Knight, blessed with divine power and dedicated to dispelling evil and punishing evil-doers.

Hopefully I'll be able to fit some kind of Furious Counterstrike sort of mechanic in there.

wayfare
2011-05-19, 10:39 PM
Might I suggest an ability that allows you to transfer delayed damage to an opponent? Perhaps riding on Lay on Hands -- you can spend a use of lay on hands to transfer delayed damage from yourself to an opponent.

Also, how about a delayed status ability?

Ziegander
2011-05-19, 10:53 PM
Might I suggest an ability that allows you to transfer delayed damage to an opponent? Perhaps riding on Lay on Hands -- you can spend a use of lay on hands to transfer delayed damage from yourself to an opponent.

Also, how about a delayed status ability?

I think these are both good ideas, and I think I have just the mechanics to make it work.

Lord_Gareth
2011-05-19, 11:46 PM
As someone that loves dungeons and also hates mounts, I'm gonna request an ACF for those of us who don't want having a pink unicorn to be a major part of our class features.

EDIT: These dead levels are a bad, bad habit of yours, Ziegander.

Ziegander
2011-05-19, 11:53 PM
As someone that loves dungeons and also hates mounts, I'm gonna request an ACF for those of us who don't want having a pink unicorn to be a major part of our class features.

No worries, ACFs to replace the mount are already planned. I'm making the Mount features the "standard" class feature because they most typify the archetype.

Roderick_BR
2011-05-20, 07:04 AM
A pala-kni-sader, eh? I'll watch this topic.
I like the idea of giving him super natural abilities to keep some of the "mysthic" aspect without needing spellcasting (hopefully not like the "spell less" paladin from complete warrior that just gives you spell-like abilities...)

To help focus on what to do, you need to find a sort of "niche" for it. What kind of class is it? Defensive (knight like)? Offensive? Total Tank? healer/booster/self booster (like the barbarian with rage)?

On the mount, you could have it already start as a sort of "combat style". Like, at first level you choose if you'll have a mount, or <insert something else>, or maybe other options. It's better to plan ahead all the options than make ACFs later, as they feel like people are just filling in holes.
Some suggestions:
Mounted: Special mount.
Attacker: A rage-like ability, like Pathfinder's smite evil.
Defender: More knight-like abilities to block enemies and protect allies.