PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Brilliant Homebrew Compendium

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-15, 05:09 PM
I needed a place to dump all of my amazing 4e homebrew; so I started this thread. Here you will find the best of my carefully-balanced, intuitively designed creations crafted with the new D&D Essentials philosophy.

I am taking requests, and can whip up anything you can imagine. :smallamused:

Why not start off with a monster?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8474/ddmonster2.png

Drawing by my friend Cody

DRUGRETH
Deformed horrors with beguiling illusionary magic, these seductive bullies enjoy tormenting weaker creatures.

Drugreths are strange mutated fey creatures descended from eladrin and succubi. They have the unsettling ability to make themselves appear to be their victim's loved ones, although they actually resemble twisted, vaguely humanoid horrors with a one of their arms massive and swollen and a mouth full of wicked fangs.

Ruthless and Wicked: Drugreths are brutal and antagonistic. These fiends take great joy in torturing and mauling their disoriented victims before savagely beating them to death.

Tricky and Seductive: Drugreths are always surrounded by minions that they have tricked, bullied, bribed, seduced, or deceived into helping them. They are masters of guile and espionage, taking great joy in playing psychological games with "lesser" beings who they make their minions before eventually killing them.

Disturbing Sense of Humor: Part of what makes these vile menaces scary is their morbid and sadistic sense of humor. They love nothing more than gleefully mutilating and humiliating their prey in disturbingly inventive ways.

Short Tempered: Although drugreths have fun abusing their "friends", they are quick to lose their temper if resisted. If they run across an indignant adventurer, they are not above ripping out their throat without much thought.

Drugreth Tormentor Level 13 Elite Controller
Medium fey humanoid XP 1,600
HP 218; Bloodied 109
AC 24; Fortitude 24; Reflex 23; Will 24
Speed 6
Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerability 10 radiant
Saving Throws +2 (+5 against illusions); Action Points 1
Initiative +10
Perception +14
Truesight 5
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Terror (charm) • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura take a -2 penalty to will defence.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Brutal Pounding • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 9 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of the drugreth tormentor's next turn.
M Jagged Jaws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature granting combat advantage to the drugreth); +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12 + 10 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Dastardly Escape • At-Will
Effect: The drugreth tormentor shifts 4 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
C Cunning Illusion (charm) • At-Will
Attack: Close burst 10 (1 creature within the burst); +15 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dominated (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Wounded Fury • At-Will
Trigger: The drugreth tormentor becomes bloodied.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): For the rest of the encounter, the drugreth tormentor gains a +10 bonus to damage with all attacks but cannot use Cunning Illusion.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Bluff +15, Stealth +12
Str 19 (+10) Dex 13 (+7) Wis 16 (+9)
Con 16 (+9) Int 16 (+9) Cha 19 (+10)
Alignment evil
Languages Common, Elven

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-15, 05:35 PM
Next I'm going to post some unpleasant disease tracks. The first is inspired by vorpintitis from the awesome How to Train Your Dragon children's books.

Burning Rage - Level 3 Disease
Those infected by this disease fly into a mindless, irrational fury at the slightest provocation. They also suffer from hot flashes and foaming mouths.
Stage 0: The target recovers from the disease.
Stage 1: The target loses a healing surge, and cannot willingly flee from a fight.
Stage 2: The target loses a healing surge, cannot willingly flee from a fight, and takes a -5 penalty to all diplomacy checks.
Stage 3: The target loses all healing surges, cannot regain hit points, cannot willingly flee from a fight, and takes a -5 penalty to diplomacy checks.
Check: At the end of each extended rest, the target makes an Endurance check..
9 or lower: The stage of the disease increases by one.
10 -13: No Change
14 or higher: The stage of the disease decreases by one.

Mutant Death Plague - Level 30 Disease
All victims of this disease can really do is curl up in a fetal position and wait to die.
Stage 0: The target recovers from the disease.
Stage 1: The target loses all healing surges, and can not regain hit points.
Stage 2: The target loses all healing surges, can not regain hit points, and is weakened.
Stage 3: The target dies horribly and cannot be resurrected by any means.
Check: At the end of each extended rest, the target makes an Endurance check.
30 or lower: The stage of the disease increases by one.
31 -33: No Change
34 or higher: The stage of the disease decreases by one.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-15, 06:49 PM
The krenshar hasn't been getting enough love, so I decided to expand on it. I provided enough fluff that you can use this monster entry without possessing the MM2.

KRENSHAR
Little children hear their parents tell stories of ghastly monsters with rotten, skinless flesh and eyes glowing with sickly green light . , .

Krenshars are dreaded feline predators that have the unnerving ability to peal back the skin on their faces revealing diseased flesh, jagged fangs, and bulging eyes. They use this tactic to shock their enemies so they can dispatch them with minimal effort.

Widely Feared: Everyone knows what a krenshar is, and everyone knows to stay away from them. These awful beasts are a thing of dark legend and fokelore, giving children nightmares and entertaining peasants at taverns.

Efficient Pack Hunters: Although they only posses animal intellect, krenshars have a wicked predatory cunning. They utilize complex tactics enhanced by their frightening face-peeling.

Vile Pets: Krenshars are kept as guard beasts by hobgoblins, bugbears, orcs, and sometimes even ogres. Keeping them is no easy task, and many a foolhardy goblin has been eaten by their unusual pet.

Krenshar Daggerfang Level 3 Soldier
Medium natural beast XP 150
HP 34; Bloodied 17
AC 18; Fortitude 15; Reflex 14; Will 13
Speed 8
Initiative +5
Perception +5
Low-Light Vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Blood-Stained Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 6 damage.
M Wicked Jaws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +6 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + 5 damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Predatory Advance • Encounter
Effect: The daggerfang shifts 3 sqares in the direction of an enemy.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
C Unnerving Skull (fear, gaze) • At-Will
Action: Minor 1/round.
Attack: Close burst 5 (targets one creature); +7 vs. Will
Hit: The target takes a -3 penalty to all defences (save ends). This effect does not stack.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Intimidate +4
Str 23 (+7) Dex 15 (+3) Wis 9 (+0)
Con 8 (+0) Int 1 (–4) Cha 12 (+2)
Alignment unaligned

Krenshar Mauler Level 2 Elite Brute
Medium natural beast XP 250
HP 75; Bloodied 38
AC 14; Fortitude 15; Reflex 14; Will 13
Speed 8
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Initiative +3
Perception +5
Low-Light Vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Claw Swipe • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +6 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 3 damage, and the target must make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
M Brutal Maul • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 prone target); +5 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 4 damage.
Miss: Half Damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
M Nightmarish Rage • At-Will
Trigger: The mauler is hit by a melee attack.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Melee 1 (the creature who hit the mauler); +5 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 3 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Attack: Close burst 5 (targets one creature); +3 vs. Will
Hit: The target takes a -2 penalty to all defences until the end of the mauler's next turn. This effect does not stack.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Intimidate +4
Str 17 (+4) Dex 15 (+3) Wis 9 (+0)
Con 14 (+3) Int 1 (–4) Cha 12 (+2)
Alignment unaligned

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-15, 08:05 PM
61 views and not a single comment? I'm deeply offended! :smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-16, 01:51 PM
I finished the evil gnomes. Still no comments?

vasharanpaladin
2011-05-16, 03:11 PM
Crapgnomes need to be written out, not added to. They should never have existed. :smallmad:

LOTRfan
2011-05-16, 03:16 PM
I like the gnomes. :smallfrown:

Any chance of you making Spinosaurus? Perhaps a fey variant, as well?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-16, 03:39 PM
Crapgnomes need to be written out, not added to. They should never have existed. :smallmad:
There's noting wrong with silly adversaries.

Any chance of you making Spinosaurus? Perhaps a fey variant, as well?
I don't know what you're talking about, but if you send me a link I'll do it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-16, 04:03 PM
I just changed improved the format on the drugreth and will do so with the rest of the monsters. The new format I created - while less like the actual D&D books - is better for discussion forums in my opinion.

I also got rid of the gnomes, realizing that they weren't fit to be on this thread.

LOTRfan
2011-05-16, 04:16 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, but if you send me a link I'll do it.

Spinosaurus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosaurus)? Its the largest known carnivore to ever walk the earth. Do you think you could stat it up for 4e?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-16, 04:22 PM
Spinosaurus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosaurus)? Its the largest known carnivore to ever walk the earth. Do you think you could stat it up for 4e?

It will be up sometime today or tomorrow. I'm off sick so I have plenty of time to do stuff like that.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-16, 05:39 PM
This is a creature I posted on these forums about a year ago, but since then I have revised and refined it. The concept is from some obscure 3.x adventure, but I have expanded and changed it so much it really isn't the same monster.

:smile:

TREN
Born in the horrific laboratories of the yuan-ti, tren are twisted reptilian beasties built to maim and kill.

Many adventurers tell dark tales of the tren. Reptilian underdark-dwelling creatures of madness and fury, driven insane at the hands of the yuan-ti. The tren were originally a cross between lizardfolk and troglodytes but they were warped and perverted by torturous experiments.

Feral and Insane: The tren retain almost no sense of patience or reason possessed by their ancestors. This is their greatest weakness, because they have no comprehension of tactics or planning.

Hard to Control: Many ambitious races have tried to enslave the tren but few have emerged successful. This is partly due to their incredible physical power and mobility, and partly due to their instinct to maim and disembowel all those around them. Multiple drow cities have fallen to hordes of escaped tren slaves.

Don't Know When to Stop: Part of what makes the tren damn scary is that they never give up or flee, a single tren with fight any number of opponents with reckless fury. This doesn't mean they try to find ways to throw their lives away, but once they choose a foe to bring down, they don't stop.

Tren Thrasher Level 11 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid XP 600
HP 110; Bloodied 55
AC 22; Fortitude 21; Reflex 21; Will 20
Speed 8, climb 5, swim 5
Initiative +12
Perception +6
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Tren Stench • Aura 1
Foes in the aura take a -5 penalty to healing surge value. This effect stacks.
Smell of Blood
The tren thrasher gains a +3 bonus to attack rolls against bloodied targets.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Slashing Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 11 damage and the target must make a saving throw or grant combat advantage until the start of the thrasher's next turn.
M Leaping Bite • Recharge 4 5 6
Hit: 2d8 + 11 damage and the target falls prone.
Effect: The tren thrasher flies 2 squares before making the attack.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
m Reactive Slash • At-Will useable only while bloodied.
Trigger: When hit by a melee attack.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): melee 1 (the triggering creature); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 11 damage.
Effect: The tren thrasher can shift 1 square before or after the attack.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 21 (+10) Dex 21 (+10) Wis 12 (+6)
Con 18 (+9) Int 5 (+2) Cha 12 (+6)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Understands deep speech.

Tren Berserker Level 13 Brute
Medium natural humanoid XP 800
HP 140; Bloodied 70
AC 24; Fortitude 25; Reflex 24; Will 23
Speed 8, climb 5, swim 5
Initiative +9
Perception +7
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Tren Stench • Aura 1
Foes in the aura take a -5 penalty to healing surge value. This effect stacks.
Smell of Blood
The tren berserker gains a +3 bonus to attack rolls against bloodied targets.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Greatsword • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +17 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 15 damage, and if the target is bloodied they also fall prone.
M Crippling Strike • Recharge 5 6
Hit: 5d8 + 13 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Athletics +17, Endurance +18, Intimidate +12
Str 22 (+12) Dex 16 (+9) Wis 13 (+7)
Con 25 (+13) Int 7 (+4) Cha 13 (+7)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Deep Speech

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-19, 11:41 AM
Sorry about the late-ness. I'm sick again so I have time to ad more stuff. I'm just about to start working on the dinosaur thing.

Also, what kind of spinosaurus variants do you want?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-19, 01:16 PM
I don't really have anything to say about this one, besides that it took a very short time to make due to its lack of fluff. Fluff is the most time-consuming part of homebrewing.

SPINEFANG BEHEMOTH
These mighty carnivores rampage through the dense jungles of the mortal world and the feywild in feral packs, falling upon defenseless villages like a screaming tide of carnage and destruction.

Spinefang behemoths (also known as spinosauri) are giant carnivorous reptiles that hunt both on land and in the water.

Mindless Combatants: Spinefang behemoths put themselves in the middle of their foes to take full advantage of their heal-weakening auras, at which point they mindlessly rip them to shreds and throw them around like ragdolls

Spinefang Behemoth Level 21 Brute
Huge natural beast (reptile) XP 3,200
HP 220; Bloodied 110
AC 34; Fortitude 33; Reflex 28; Will 29
Speed 6, swim 6
Initiative +13
Perception +14
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
Tough Hide
When the spinefang behemoth takes damage from an attack that targets AC, that damage is reduced by 10.
Threatening Reach
The spinefang behemoth can make oppertunity attacks against all creatures within its reach.
Sturdy
The spinefang behemoth cannot be forced to move, knocked prone, or slowed.
O Aura of Flesh-Wrenching Terror • Aura 3
Enemes in the aura take a -5 penalty to healig surge value. This effect stacks.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Bite and Toss • At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (1 creature); +25 vs. AC
Hit: 3d8 + 9 damage, the spinefang behemoth slides the target 3 squares, and the target falls prone.
C Tail Sweep • Recharge 6
Attack: Close burst 2 (all creatures within the burst); +21 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d12 + 10 damage, and the target falls prone.
M Awful Feast • At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (1 prone creature); +23 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12 + 11 damage, and the spinefang behemoth gains temprorary hit points equal to half the damage dealt.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Furious Rend • At-Will
Trigger: The spinefang behemoth is bloodied by an attack.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): Melee 2 (the triggering creature); +25 vs. AC
Hit: 5d10 + 10 damage.
Miss: Half damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Athletics +24, Endurance +24
Str 28 (+19) Dex 17 (+13) Wis 18 (+14)
Con 29 (+19) Int 3 (+6) Cha 8 (+9)
Alignment unaligned

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-19, 01:18 PM
I have the spinosaurus crunch up now. I don't have time to do any more at the moment, but I'll format it and ad fluff later.

What do you think?

LOTRfan
2011-05-19, 04:12 PM
Yikes! It definitely looks intimidating. :smalleek:

Honestly, I never really got the hang of 4e homebrew, but you seem to be very good at it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-19, 08:02 PM
I formatted it up for better readability and will ad fluff (and perhaps a variant) tonight or tomorrow.

Also, I'm planning on doing something other than a monster for my next project? How does a race or class sound?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-19, 11:05 PM
I added fluff to the spinosaurus. What do you think?

Talyn
2011-05-20, 09:30 AM
According to the Wikipedia article, Spinosauri were at least partially aquatic - maybe they should have a swim speed.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-20, 10:37 AM
According to the Wikipedia article, Spinosauri were at least partially aquatic - maybe they should have a swim speed.

Allright. I'll ad that now.

dsmiles
2011-05-20, 10:43 AM
Some of this stuff is pretty good, Twilight Muse. I don't see anything I could particularly use for my campaign setting (Iron Kingdoms meets Call of Cthulhu), but it's good stuff.

Now if you statted up some stuff from the Cthulhu Mythos or the PP Monsternomicons, I'd be eternally grateful, but you seem pretty busy.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-20, 10:50 AM
Some of this stuff is pretty good, Twilight Muse. I don't see anything I could particularly use for my campaign setting (Iron Kingdoms meets Call of Cthulhu), but it's good stuff.

Now if you statted up some stuff from the Cthulhu Mythos or the PP Monsternomicons, I'd be eternally grateful, but you seem pretty busy.
I was planning on making a class next, but if you want me to make some Lovecraftian monsters instead I wouldn't mind at all.

Do you want anything in particular?

dsmiles
2011-05-20, 11:35 AM
Do you want anything in particular?
Do you remember the Dragon Magazine article a few years ago about Cerebrosis, and the Far Realm, and some of the monstrosities and magic items? I forget the issue number, but it was yellow with the illithid eating the guy's head? It had the Amoebic Crawler, Kaortic Hulk, Nightseed, and some little tick-like thingy that eats faces. If you could start with those, it would be great. I have a class designed around cerebrosis, and need to have some summons for it. Anything in that vein would be great. (I'm pretty good with doing stuff from scratch, but converting from 3.5e to 4e is lost on me. :smallredface:)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-20, 11:44 AM
Do you remember the Dragon Magazine article a few years ago about Cerebrosis, and the Far Realm, and some of the monstrosities and magic items? I forget the issue number, but it was yellow with the illithid eating the guy's head? It had the Amoebic Crawler, Kaortic Hulk, Nightseed, and some little tick-like thingy that eats faces. If you could start with those, it would be great. I have a class designed around cerebrosis, and need to have some summons for it. Anything in that vein would be great. (I'm pretty good with doing stuff from scratch, but converting from 3.5e to 4e is lost on me. :smallredface:)

I've never seen that Dragon magazine, but I would be happy to convert it if you could link me to its contents.

dsmiles
2011-05-20, 11:53 AM
I've never seen that Dragon magazine, but I would be happy to convert it if you could link me to its contents.

Okay. I'll see if I can find it online somewhere. :smalleek:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-21, 08:49 PM
I changed the format again, this time to resemble the Monster Vault (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/244650000). I like the way it looks and feels, so I think I'll keep it like this.

LOTRfan
2011-05-21, 08:51 PM
Wow, I like how the Spinosaurus came out. You even got the tactics correct, as it is currently believed that Spinosaurs through their food around to rip it apart, since they couldn't chew well. Good job. :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-21, 09:08 PM
You even got the tactics correct, as it is currently believed that Spinosaurs through their food around to rip it apart, since they couldn't chew well. Good job. :smallsmile:

I didn't do that on propose, but I'm glad it worked out. :smallredface:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-21, 09:37 PM
This is a monster converted from an old Dragon magazine. Due to its Lovecraftian theme, I made it tougher than normal.

AMOEBIC CRAWLER
Tortured ooze-monsters spawned in the far realm, amoebic crawlers exist only to spread madness and pain.

Amoebic crawlers are spawned in places where the Far Realm touches the world. They live their pain-filled, pathetic little lives searching for victims to torment and wrecking their surroundings.

Twisted and Insane: These creatures - being completely insane and only semi-sentient - cannot be reasoned with, trained, or made to work with other creatures. This doesn't stop ambitious creatures such as xivorts and bullywugs, who put them in convenient places and use them as unwitting guard beasts.

Always Hungry: Amoebic crawlers have an unholy hunger that can never be slaked. They are constantly searching for food (their favorite being rotting flesh), which some creatures use to their advantage; using rancid meat to lure them into useful positions.

Pathetic Amoebic Crawler Level 5 Minion Brute
Medium aberrant beast XP 50
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 18; Fortitude 20; Reflex 16; Will 16
Speed 6, swim 4
Initiative +1
Perception +2
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Acidic Slam (acid) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +8 vs. AC
Hit: 8 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Slither • At-Will
Effect: The amoebic crawler shifts 1 square.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Just Won't Die • At-Will
Trigger: The amoebic crawler is ruduced to 0 hit points.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): Roll a d20. If the result is 16 or higher, the amoebic crawler is instead reduced to 1 hit point.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 18 (+6) Dex 9 (+1) Wis 10 (+2)
Con 15 (+4) Int 5 (–1) Cha 8 (+1)
Alignment chaotic evil

Oozing Amoebic Crawler Level 4 Controller
Large aberrant beast XP 175
HP 42; Bloodied 21
AC 17; Fortitude 17; Reflex 15; Will 16
Speed 6, swim -2
Initiative +1
Perception +2
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Sticky Ooze • Aura 1
Enemies treat the aura as difficult terrain.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 7 acid damage, and the oozing ameobic crawler slides the target 2 squares.
C Slime Spray (acid) • Recharge 5 6
Attack: Close blast 1 (all enemies within blast); +8 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + 7 acid damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Just Won't Die • At-Will
Trigger: The ameobic crawler is reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): Roll a d20. If the result is 16 or higher, the amoebic crawler is instead reduced to 1 hit point.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 18 (+6) Dex 9 (+1) Wis 10 (+2)
Con 9 (+1) Int 5 (–1) Cha 8 (+1)
Alignment chaotic evil

Ravenous Amoebic Crawler Level 6 Brute
Large aberrant beast XP 250
HP 73; Bloodied 37
AC 18; Fortitude 19; Reflex 18; Will 18
Speed 6, swim -2
Initiative +3
Perception +3
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Burning Acid (acid) • Aura 1
Enemies that start their turn within the aura must make a saving throw to avoid taking 5 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 11 acid damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Hungry Advance • At-Will
Effect: The ameobic crawler shifts 3 squares towards an enemy.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Just Won't Die • At-Will
Trigger: The ameobic crawler is reduced to 0 hit points.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 19 (+7) Dex 10 (+3) Wis 11 (+3)
Con 16 (+6) Int 6 (+1) Cha 9 (+2)
Alignment chaotic evil

dsmiles
2011-05-21, 10:34 PM
Now that is one mean microbe! :smallbiggrin:

That looks awesome. Really. Awesome.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-21, 10:37 PM
Now that is one mean microbe! :smallbiggrin:

That looks awesome. Really. Awesome.

Will it see use? If so, I would be honored.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-21, 11:48 PM
This is a Lovecraftain paragon path for the Mage class from Heroes of the Fallen Lands. It focuses mainly on de-buffing.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLpUPSbkWqpNql00UZgUxBpy-5VJaJD1uxhZcBAbMB49rCoGzH

WARP CHANNELER
Prerequisite: Mage class.

Warp channelers are mages who draw their power from the maddening blackness of the Far Realm. Their path is painful and fraught with danger and madness, so it is followed only by the over-ambitious or the insane.

Warp Reality (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, you can teleport 1d4 squares.

Spreading Madness (11th Level): Enemies within 3 squares of you take a -2 penalty to will defense.

Spreading Horror (11th level): Whenever you drop a non-minion enemy to 0 hit points, all enemies that saw them die take a -1 penalty to defenses for the rest of the encounter. This effect stacks and has the charm keyword.

Crimson Tendrils (11th level): You gain the Crimson Tendrils power.

Cut and Paste (12th level): You gain the Cut and Paste power.

Stunning Horror (16th level): When you bloody an enemy or score a critical hit, the target is dazed (save ends).

Mind-Wrenching Wrath (20th level): You gain the Mind-Wrenching Wrath power.

Crimson Tendrils
Blood-red tentacles erupt out of the ground, constrict you poor adversaries, and wriggle into unpleasant places.
Encounter
Arcane, Necrotic, Implament
Standard Action
Burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies within burst
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence Modifier necrotic damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Cut and Paste
You tear apart reality and stitch it back together so two creatures can swap positions.
Encounter
Arcane, Implament
Standard Action
Effect: Two creatures you can see instantly swap positions. You do not need the consent of either creature to preform this action.

Mind-Wrenching Wrath
You send some unlucky soul to the Far Realm for a fraction of a second, mentally scarring them and causing them to go into shock.
Daily
Arcane, Psychic, Implament
Standard Action
Range 20
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 6d6 + Intelligence Modifier psychic damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends).

dsmiles
2011-05-22, 06:22 AM
Will it see use? If so, I would be honored.Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. mwahahahamwahahahaMWAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!
I'm sorry, did I get any of that evil on you?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-22, 11:16 AM
Should I convert another monster from that Dragon magazine next, or do something else?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-22, 12:24 PM
I made this monster from scratch. I'm not sure if they go down a little too fast. Do you think so?

MONSTROUS MUMMY
Not all mummies are humanoid. Sometimes particularly demented mages and clerics will also create these vile undead horrors from animals and monsters.

Monstrous mummies are mummies created from non-humanoid creatures.

Mad and Miserable: Monsterous mummies - driven insane by the agony of the transforming ritual - despise their own wretched existence. They lash out at any living creatures and despise those who remind them of what they once were.

Many Shapes and Sizes: Monstrous mummies come in many different forms; from the horrifically mobile plaguewing (made from a sphinx), to the bone-crushing rotfist (made from a dire ape).

Twisted Beyond Recognition: These undead fiends have been warped and deformed beyond recognition by the depraved rituals used to create them and the thousands of years they spent fruitlessly clawing at their prison-tombs. They resemble demonic four-legged brutes covered in weeping gashes and dripping with foul-smelling black tar; with only a few clues remaining as to what they once were.

Monstrous Mummy Plaguewing Level 11 Skirmisher
Large natural animate (undead) XP 600
HP 90; Bloodied 45
AC 26; Fortitude 21; Reflex 22; Will 20
Speed 6, overland flight 8
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic
Initiative +15
Perception +11
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
Flammable Corpus
Whenever the mummy takes fire damage, it also takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Rotting Claws (necrotic) • At-Will
Hit: 1d10 + 12 necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the end of the plaguewing's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Clumsy Flutter • At-Will
Effect: The plaguewing shifts 2d4 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 17 (+8) Dex 21 (+10) Wis 13 (+6)
Con 13 (+6) Int 4 (+2) Cha 6 (+3)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Common

Monstrous Mummy Rotfist Level 12 Brute
Large natural animate (undead) XP 700
HP 120; Bloodied 60
AC 25; Fortitude 23; Reflex 22; Will 21
Speed 6
Immune disease, poison; Resist necrotic
Initiative +12
Perception +13
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
Flammable Corpus
Whenever the mummy takes fire damage, it also takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Rotting Smash (necrotic) • At-Will
Hit: 2d8 + 15 necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the end of the rotfist's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
C Sickly Burst (necrotic) • Encounter (recharges when first bloodied)
Attack: Close burst 1 (all foes within burst); +14 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d10 + 9 necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 18 (+10) Dex 16 (+9) Wis 14 (+8)
Con 20 (+11) Int 5 (+3) Cha 7 (+4)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Common

Monstrous Mummy Filthfang Level 14 Soldier
Large natural animate (undead) XP 1,000
HP 110; Bloodied 55
AC 27; Fortitude 24; Reflex 23; Will 22
Speed 6
Immune disease, poison; Resist necrotic
Initiative +15
Perception +14
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
Flammable Corpus
O Grasping Claws • Aura 1
Foes within the aura cannot shift.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Vile Claws (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +22 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 15 necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the end of the filthfang's next turn.
M Nasty Fangs (acid, necrotic) • Recharge 5 6
Attack: +22 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 17 necrotic damage, and ongoing 10 acid damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 25 (+14) Dex 17 (+10) Wis 15 (+9)
Con 15 (+9) Int 6 (+5) Cha 8 (+6)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Common

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-26, 06:09 PM
Sorry Iv'e been gone so long. I've had lots of school work.

I'll finish the monstrous mummy tomorrow, and then do something else Lovecraftian.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 01:05 PM
I finished the monstrous mummy. Now I'm going to expand on the beholder.

Actually, no. We already have enough of those. I'll do something else.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 01:22 PM
That mummy's on FIRE! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I really like it. I may have to steal all the monsters in this thread. After your beholder, do you think you could take a swag at the face-tick thingy from that Dragon Magazine? I'd appreciate that.

EDIT: If I sent you a class, with no Paragon Paths ('cause I haven't written them yet :smallredface:) would you be able to 'clean it up?' It's a standard 4e class (not Essentials-based), and needs some balancing.

Your homebrew is great, and I think I'd like you to be the second set of eyes on my homebrew. You'll get the appropriate credit in my Campaign Setting Guide, just like a few other Playgrounders whose homebrew I'm using.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 01:52 PM
That mummy's on FIRE! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I really like it. I may have to steal all the monsters in this thread. After your beholder, do you think you could take a swag at the face-tick thingy from that Dragon Magazine? I'd appreciate that.

EDIT: If I sent you a class, with no Paragon Paths ('cause I haven't written them yet :smallredface:) would you be able to 'clean it up?' It's a standard 4e class (not Essentials-based), and needs some balancing.

Your homebrew is great, and I think I'd like you to be the second set of eyes on my homebrew. You'll get the appropriate credit in my Campaign Setting Guide, just like a few other Playgrounders whose homebrew I'm using.

As my latest post says, I'm not going to do the beholder after all. Next I will do the face tick, and I would be happy to work on your class.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 02:07 PM
Here's the link to the entire campaign setting (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzPw7X6JvNR-NjYxY2M0NzAtNzA1Mi00NTI4LWI5MmYtNjRlMzM2YmEzZjA2&hl=en_US&authkey=CKOCpeIK). Feel free to re-balance anything in there (except the Gunslinger, the Gun Mage, and Tinker - they've already been playtested and balanced against the standard 4e classes). There will be periodic updates to it, and I'll let you know when they happen. The summoning powers on the Cerebrant are just placeholders until all those particular monsters are created and balanced.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 02:10 PM
Here's the link to the entire campaign setting (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BzPw7X6JvNR-NjYxY2M0NzAtNzA1Mi00NTI4LWI5MmYtNjRlMzM2YmEzZjA2&hl=en_US&authkey=CKOCpeIK). Feel free to re-balance anything in there (except the Gunslinger, the Gun Mage, and Tinker - they've already been playtested and balanced against the standard 4e classes). There will be periodic updates to it, and I'll let you know when they happen. The summoning powers on the Cerebrant are just placeholders until all those particular monsters are created and balanced.

They may have been balanced against the standard 4e classes, but the standard 4e classes aren't that balanced. The cleric was quite overpowered until very recently.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 02:12 PM
They may have been balanced against the standard 4e classes, but the standard 4e classes aren't that balanced. The cleric was quite overpowered until very recently. Yeah, I've seen the horrible nerfs they threw at the cleric. :smallannoyed: The way I run 4e games, the cleric didn't really need the nerfs. There's a lot of death in Dark Horror-type games.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 02:42 PM
Holy crap, Batman! :smalltongue:

You work fast! I like it. I never thought about giving them a choice on Wisdom or Charisma. I like the revised race better than the original. Thanks!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 02:49 PM
Holy crap, Batman! :smalltongue:

You work fast! I like it. I never thought about giving them a choice on Wisdom or Charisma. I like the revised race better than the original. Thanks!

I have some more time before I have to work on other things, so you can expect to see more stuff in the near future.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 03:37 PM
Also, where's Hexblade from? I must not have that book. (If it's Essentials, I'd understand not having it, since I don't own any of those.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 04:13 PM
Also, where's Hexblade from?
It's from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (an Essentials book). It's a melee-focused variant of the Warlock.

Also, sorry I'm taking so long. I was unexpectedly delayed.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 04:21 PM
CRANIAL ENCYSTER
These mutated predators resemble horrifically bloated ticks with screaming faces carved into their slimy shells.

Cranial encysters are deformed horrors from the Far Realm that use their ghastly appearance to frighten their foes. They endlessly crawl through caves and ruins, searching for creatures to torture and devour.

Face Eaters: These strange menaces dine on the features of humanoid faces. To survive, they need eyes, tongues, teeth, lips, and eardrums. They will pull their prey down and latch on to their face, slowly devouring the tasty bits.

Cranial Encyster Level 5 Minion Lurker
Tiny aberrant magical beast XP 50
AC 20; Fortitude 18; Reflex 18; Will 17
Speed 6, climb 6
Initiative +8
Perception +3
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Unsettling Screams • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura must make a saving throw at the start of their turn. If they fail, they grant combat advantage until the start of their next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Tentacles • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 creature); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 10 damage, and the target must make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
M Attatch • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 prone creature); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 5 damage, and the cranial encyster is attached to the target. While attatched, it inhabits the same space as the target, movies with it, and only unatatches when killed. The target also takes ongoing 5 damage while attatched to a cranial encyster. No more than one cranial encyster can by attache to a creature at a time.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 12 (+3) Dex 15 (+4) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 15 (+4) Int 5 (–1) Cha 9 (+1)
Alignment chaotic evil

Overgrown Cranial Encyster Level 8 Soldier
Large aberrant magical beast XP 350
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 23; Fortitude 20; Reflex 18; Will 19
Speed 6
Initiative +6
Perception +6
Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Unsettling Screams • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura must make a saving throw at the start of their turn. If they fail, they grant combat advantage until the start of their next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Tentacles • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 creature); +15 vs. AC
Hit: 2d12 + 6 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
M Leg Jab • At-Will
Effect: 7 damage, and the target is marked until the cranial encyster is slain or until it uses leg jab again.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Pain Drinker
Trigger: The cranial encyster starts its turn.
Effect: It regains 2 hit points for every bloodied enemy within the aura.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 20 (+9) Dex 11 (+4) Wis 14 (+6)
Con 17 (+7) Int 7 (+2) Cha 11 (+4)
Alignment chaotic evil

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 05:06 PM
I gotta ask. Large aberrant magical beast? They're supposed to be Tiny, I think. Like a facehugger. (Not to sound critical, I like them, but they just seem too big.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 05:17 PM
I gotta ask. Large aberrant magical beast? They're supposed to be Tiny, I think. Like a facehugger. (Not to sound critical, I like them, but they just seem too big.)

They are? I should have read it more carefully.

Do you want me to fix it?

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 05:20 PM
They are? I should have read it more carefully.

Do you want me to fix it?
Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaase? :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 05:22 PM
Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaase? :smallbiggrin:

Of curse. Just give me a few minutes.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 05:42 PM
Very much better. :smallwink:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 06:43 PM
Very much better. :smallwink:

I'm glad. I think I'll rebuild one of your races next.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 07:45 PM
You're a machine.

EDIT: And this thread is aptly titled. This is pretty brilliant stuff.

dsmiles
2011-05-27, 10:57 PM
Great stuff. I hope I get this campaign setting published. If I do, I'll cut you in.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-28, 11:44 AM
Do you want any changes to the wolf dudes?

dsmiles
2011-05-28, 11:49 AM
No, no. If I see something that doesn't fit with the fluff, I'll let you know. You're doing an awesome job so far! :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-28, 12:25 PM
@dsmiles

Since most of the stuff I'm doing for you only fits your campaign setting, I think we need a separate thread for it. Since it's your thing, you should start the thread.

dsmiles
2011-05-28, 03:20 PM
Good idea. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200953)

RebelRogue
2011-05-28, 03:47 PM
Great work, TM! Just a few comments/nitpicks:

Stubborn: You have a +1 bonus to saving throws against being dazed, stunned, slowed, dominated, immobilized, or weakened. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level, and +3 at 21st level.

Aren't scaling save bonuses kind of a no-no in 4e design? It's probably not so much a problem, as the save bonus is so much smaller than the usual, racial +5, just a thought.

Pack Tactics
In the face of a great challenge, you rally your allies to bring down your foes using simple but effective pack tactics.
Encounter
Minor Action
Special: You must be bloodied to use this power.
Effect: You and one ally within 10 squares can shift as a minor action for the rest of the encounter.
Might need a clearer wording. It's a little unclear if you choose the ally for good or is it's a new one each turn, and also, some might read it as both shifting each time one of them takes a minor action to do so. As I said: very minor stuff; some quality homebrew here. Keep it up :smallcool:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-28, 11:08 PM
Wow. Almost 1,200 views. This is really coming along.

This is going to slow down a but since I'm doing more stuff for dsmiles, but I'm still going to do at least one entry a week.

I plan to expand on an existing monster as my next thing, but I don't know which one. Any ideas?

dsmiles
2011-05-28, 11:16 PM
I don't know what's in the Essentials books, but I always liked Deepspawn.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-28, 11:30 PM
I don't know what's in the Essentials books, but I always liked Deepspawn.

Deepspawn? Never head of them. Could you link me?

dsmiles
2011-05-28, 11:36 PM
Deepspawn? Never head of them. Could you link me?My google-fu is failing me. I know it's in Monsters of Faerun for 3.5e, but I don't know if it was updated for 4e, let alone for Essentials.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-28, 11:38 PM
My google-fu is failing me. I know it's in Monsters of Faerun for 3.5e, but I don't know if it was updated for 4e, let alone for Essentials.

I don't have any 3.5 books anymore, and I don't have any forgotten realms material for 4e. Could you link me to a description or something? If you can, I would be happy to do it.

dsmiles
2011-05-28, 11:50 PM
Sorry, this (http://www.vanhiel.com/daniel/creatures.php?monstername=Deepspawn) is the best I can do. I can't find anything more recent.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-29, 12:01 AM
Sorry, this (http://www.vanhiel.com/daniel/creatures.php?monstername=Deepspawn) is the best I can do. I can't find anything more recent.

That's just fine. I'm a little rusty on AD&D, but I think I can interpret it.

Expect to see my adaptation tomorrow or the day after. I'm going to bed now. It's pushing 11:00 here in the frozen north and I plan to get up early.

Lemonus
2011-05-30, 07:46 PM
This is really good! I don't know when I'll be able to use it, but I will use it when I can!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-30, 11:02 PM
Sorry. The deepspawn is a little delayed. I spent the whole day today doing school work and making a logo for someone.

I might be able to have it up tomorrow.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-04, 12:17 PM
Sorry this monster took so long. I'll have another up on Monday, since it's customary for me to make one with Cody after we play D&D.

DEEPSPAWN
These Underdark-dwelling abominations create perverted replicas of nearby creatures which they use to do their bidding.

Deepspawn resemble rubbery, eye-covered floating blobs that spew acidic slime and twisted versions of Underdark monsters which carry out their dark will. They make large areas dangerous by populating them with their twisted thralls.

Alien and Evil: Deepspawn are creatures of the Far Realm who feel no pain, empathy, or remorse. Their biology is truly alien in nature and completely baffling to decent creatures. No one knows how they reproduce, fly, create thralls, or even survive.

Lovers of Treasure: Deepspawn also have an innate fondness for all things shiny. Because of this, they are often bribed to use their thralls to guard the perimeters of drow and illithid cities.

Devourers of Flesh: They also have an innate fondness for the flesh and blood of wholesome beings. They don't actually need to eat to survive, but treasure squirming morsels as much as they treasure gold.

Users of Magic: Deepspawn are not only armed with their soulless spawn and burning acid, but also with the use of arcane magic. They love few thing more than tormenting their foes with lightning and fire.

Perverted Thralls: To create a twisted deepspawn thrall, take a normal monster or minion close to the deepspawn's level, change their Intelligence to 3, and give them the following trait:

Corrupting Touch
Whenever the thrall scores a critical hit, the target loses a healing surge.

Deepspawn Level 11 Elite Artillery (Leader)
Large aberrant magical beast XP 1,200
HP 130; Bloodied 65
AC 21; Fortitude 24; Reflex 25; Will 24
Speed 1, fly 6 (hover)
Initiative +10
Perception +7
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Command Thralls • Aura 5
Thralls of the deepspawn within the aura score critical hits on attack rolls of 19-20.
Regeneration
When the deepspawn starts its turn, it regains 10 hit points. If the deepspawn takes radiant damage, this power does not function (save ends).
Arcane Shield
The deepspawn has a +2 bonus to all defences against ranged attacks.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Acidic Bite (acid) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one ceature); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 9 acid damge, and the deepspawn slides the target 2 squares.
C Burning Lightning Blast (fire, lightning) • Encounter (recharges when first bloodied)
Attack: Close blast 3 (enemies within blast); +16 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d10 + 8 fire and acid damge.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Magical Escape • At-Will (useable only while bloodied)
Effect: The deepspawn teleports 5 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
R Acid Spray (acid) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 15 (one creature); +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + 7 acid damage, and the target grants combat advantage on until the end of the deepspawn's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 15 (+7) Dex 21 (+10) Wis 15 (+7)
Con 15 (+7) Int 15 (+7) Cha 15 (+7)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Deep Speech

dsmiles
2011-06-04, 01:37 PM
This is awesome.

Slime for the Slime God! Tentacles for the Tentacle Throne!

:smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-04, 05:24 PM
A barbarian-ish paragon path for the Slayer. In honor of the upcoming Conan movie. :biggrin:

FROTHING BERSERKER
Prerequisite: Slayer class, CON 17.

Frothing Berserkers are crazed warriors who have given in to their brutal primal instincts. They are unstoppable forces on the battlefield, screaming like maniacs has they tear through foes like a child mindlessly rips paper.

Berserker Rage (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, you gain a +4 bonus to damage rolls for the rest of the encounter.

Primal Screams (11th Level): You gain a +5 bonus to intimidate checks. In addition, while you are bloodied, enemies within 5 squares take a -2 penalty to will defense.

Blood Lust (11th level): Whenever you drop a non-minion enemy to 0 hit points, you can use an action point to spend a healing surge.

Furious Crush (11th level): You gain the Furious Crush power.

Strength of a Warrior (12th level): You gain the Strength of a Warrior power.

Thrill of the Fight (16th level): Whenever you score a critical hit, you regain hit points equal to half your strength score.

Berserker Frenzy (20th level): You gain the Berserker Frenzy power.

Furious Crush
You pound your enemy to death with one brutal assault after another, and then mutilate their broken corpse with yet more blows.
Encounter
Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee Attack
Target: One adjacent enemy
Attack: Strength vs Fortitude, 5 attacks
Hit: Strength modifier damage. If you are bloodied, you may increase the damage from each attack by your Constitution modifier.

Strength of a Warrior
You grit your bloody teeth and shrug off your crippling wounds.
Encounter
Martial
Minor Action
Effect: You regain hit points equal to half your Constitution score, and can make a saving throw.

Berserker Frenzy
You push yourself beyond your normal limits, dangerously straining your body but increasing your fighting prowess.
Daily
Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee
Target: One adjacent creature
Attack: Strength vs AC
Hit: 4 [W] damage.
Effect: You take damage equal to your healing surge value, but gain a +2 bonus to saving throws and a +5 bonus to damage rolls for the rest of the encounter.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-04, 05:58 PM
I have some spare time. Any ideas?

IcemanJRC
2011-06-05, 06:38 PM
Would you be willing to whip up a base class? I read through the thread and I like your work. I'm in a bit of a tough spot at the moment, I don't have my books but am beggining a game soon and need a charater. So I'm scrounging the internet and homebrew threads, figured I'd ask you. Your work is very good and I saw you were talking about some class or race work earlier. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-06, 08:55 AM
Would you be willing to whip up a base class? I read through the thread and I like your work. I'm in a bit of a tough spot at the moment, I don't have my books but am beggining a game soon and need a charater. So I'm scrounging the internet and homebrew threads, figured I'd ask you. Your work is very good and I saw you were talking about some class or race work earlier. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Would you mind if the base class was Essentials-style?

I could do it O4e-style, but it would take longer and probably be less awesome.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-06, 02:09 PM
Essentials is preferd actually. Also, I found some resources so I don't need the class ASAP anymore, feel free to take your time and make it as awesome as you'd like. No sense of urgency anymore. I look forward to what you come up with.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-07, 11:44 PM
The base class is on its way. Expect the first bit of it tomorrow. It will be an arcane leader that focuses on buffing auras.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-08, 12:37 AM
Snazy. I look forward to it. :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 09:15 AM
Cody and i decided to make a class instead of a monster. He is working on some illustrations. This is what we have so far:

FLAGBEARER

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Leader.
Power Source: Arcane.
Key Abilities: Charisma, Strength

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail; heavy shields, light shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged.
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12+ Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 7+ Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: Arcana. From the class skills list below, choose 2 more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Religion (Int).

Class features: Healing Word, Flagbearer Auras.

Flagbearers conjure glowing banners of arcane energy which float above them during battle, magically inspiring their allies and daunting their foes. They are skilled with weapons, but can also scatter their enemies with numbing frost, scorching flames, and searing acid.

they train amongst the eladrin mages of the spiral tower, toiling for endless hours learning the arts of magic, swordplay, and tactics. When the brilliant banner of a flagbearer lights up the sky, evildoers would be wise to tremble.

HEALING WORD
you gain the following power:

Healing Word
You utter a soothing word that mends wounds of the body and spirit.
Encounter (Special)
Healing
Minor Action
Close burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
Target: You or one ally in the burst
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points.
Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points.
Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points.
Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points.
Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points.
Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points.
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

FLAGBEARER AURAS
You may choose two of the following powers.

Banner of Battle Fury
You conjure a blazing red banner that fills your allies with strength and determination.
At-Will
Arcane, Banner
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: Until you cast another power with the banner keyword or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies within 3 squares gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls.
Level 11: 4 squares, and +4 damage.
Level 21: 5 squares, and +6 damage.

Banner of Grim Focus
You conjure a cold blue banner that that heightens your allies senses and sharpens their reflexes.
At-Will
Arcane, Banner
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: Until you cast another power with the banner keyword or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies within 3 squares gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
Level 11: 4 squares, and +2 to attacks.
Level 21: 5 squares, and +3 to attacks.

Banner of Uncanny Haste
You conjure a crackling green banner that that grants your allies magical mobility.
At-Will
Arcane, Banner
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: Until you cast another power with the banner keyword or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies within 3 squares can shift 1 square as a minor action.
Level 11: allies within 4 squares, and can shift 2 squares as a minor action.
Level 21: allies within 5 squares, and can shift 3 squares as a minor action.

Banner of Impenetrable Defenses
You conjure a shimmering orange banner that that heightens your allies ability to dodge and parry.
At-Will
Arcane, Banner
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: Until you cast another power with the banner keyword or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies within 3 squares gain a +1 bonus to all defenses.
Level 11: 4 squares, and +2 to defenses.
Level 21: 5 squares, and +3 to defenses.

Banner of Heroic Morale
You conjure a glowing white banner that that fills your allies with courage and vitality.
At-Will
Arcane, Banner
Minor Action
Personal
Effect: Until you cast another power with the banner keyword or until the end of the encounter, you and your allies within 3 squares regain 2 hit points whenever you start of your turn.
Level 11: 4 squares, and 4 hit points.
Level 21: 5 squares, and 6 hit points.

Level 2:
LEVEL 2 FLAGBEARER DAILY POWER
You gain one of the following powers:

Words of Courage
Your banner shines with new light as you chant a spell that boosts your the morale of you and your allies.
Daily
Arcane
Minor Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst gain a +3 bonus to haling surge value for the rest of the encounter.

Healing Glow
Your banner glows with soft yellow light that closes your allies wounds.
Daily
Arcane
Minor Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst regain hit points equal to your charisma modifier.

Tactical Maneuver
Your allies march into battle under the flaring red light of your banner.
Daily
Arcane
Minor Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst can shift up to 3 squares.

Sturdy Defenses
Your banner flashes blue as your allies armor hardens.
Daily
Arcane
Minor Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst gain a +1 bonus to all defenses for the rest of the encounter.

Level 3:
LEVEL 3 FLAGBEARER ENCOUNTER POWER

Inspiring Strike
Your banner shines with invigorating light as you hack and slash a foe into submission.
Encounter
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Target: One enemy.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1 [W] + Strength Modifier damage.
Effect: You and each ally within 3 squares can make a saving throw.

Tactical Strike
Your banner flashes blue as you command your allies while mutilating your foes.
Encounter
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Effect: You and each ally within 3 squares can shift 2 squares.

Rallying Strike
Your banner floats higher and glows with golden light as you vanquish a vile monster.
Encounter
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Effect: All allies with 3 squares gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to damage rolls during their next turn.

Level 4:
LEVEL 4 FLAGBEARER DAILY POWER

Arcane Cleansing
You utter magical words of encouragement that cure your allies of ailing effects..
Daily
Arcane
Standard Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst can make a saving throw. In addition, you or an ally of your choice is cured of all diseases they are suffering.

Strength to Fight
You grant your allies the strength to continue fighting, even if their wounds are deep and their vitality has left them.
Daily
Arcane
Standard Action
close Burst 5
Effect: You and all allies within the burst regains hit points equal to half your charisma score, plus an amount equal to the number of healing surges they are below maximum.

Level 5:
LEVEL 4 FLAGBEARER DAILY POWER

Staggering Slash
You pour the strength of your arm and the power of your banner to drive your foe back and put them off balance.
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Hit: 2 [W] + Strength Modifier damage.
Effect: You push the target 1 square and they grant combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Rallying Assault
You punch your adversary in the mouth and inspire your allies to do likewise.
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Hit: The target takes damage equal to your strength score.
Miss: The target takes damage equal to your strength modifier.
Effect: Each ally within 3 squares gains a +3 bonus to damage rolls against that enemy for the rest of the encounter.

Heal and Hurt
You cut a deep wound in an enemy and close a wound suffered by an ally.
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Effect: An ally of your choice within 3 squares can regain hit points as if they had spent a healing surge.

Level 5:
LEVEL 5 FLAGBEARER DAILY POWER

Inspiring Ferocity
Your brutal assault on a foe fills your allies with vigor and rabid blood lust.
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Effect: You and each ally within 3 squares deals extra damage equal to your charisma score on a critical hit for the rest of the encounter.

Merciful Murder
Your flag glows a grim red as you put a wounded foe out of their misery, and channel their life energy into your allies.
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Special: If the target is bloodied, your attack deals 10 extra damage.
Effect: Each ally within 3 squares regains hit points equal to one quarter the damage dealt. Half the damage dealt if the attack reduced the target to 0 hit points.

Onward to Victory
When your allies march under your flag, no foe can stand in your way..
Daily
Standard Action
Arcane
Melee Weapon
Effect: Each ally within 3 squares can choose to either regain 5 hit points, shift 2 squares, or gain a +5 bonus to the damage roll on their next attack.

Level 6:
LEVEL 6 FLAGBEARER DAILY POWER

Healing Touch
You channel power from your banner into healing a wounded ally.
Daily
Divine, Healing
Standard Action Melee touch
Target: You or one creature
Effect: The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge, can make a saving throw with a +2 bonus, and is cured of any disease.

Distant Aid
You help a far-off fried out of a stick situation.
Daily
Divine, Healing
Standard Action
Target: You or one creature within 20 squares
Effect: The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge, and can either shift 2 squares or make a saving throw.

Inspire Rage
Screw healing. You give your ally the strength to inflict the need for healing on others.
Daily
Divine, Healing
Standard Action
Target: You or one creature within 10 squares
Effect: The target can shift up to 3 squares and then make two basic attacks.

dsmiles
2011-06-08, 09:21 AM
Looks good so far. I look forward to seeing it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 09:49 AM
I just added some class features. i plan to do at least two more flagbearer auras.

dsmiles
2011-06-08, 10:05 AM
So, explain something about these Essentials classes, if you would:

Do they function side-by-side with standard 4e classes, like WotC said they're supposed to? Or did WotC screw up again, and Essentials classes can only be played with other Essentials classes?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 10:10 AM
So, explain something about these Essentials classes, if you would:

Do they function side-by-side with standard 4e classes, like WotC said they're supposed to? Or did WotC screw up again, and Essentials classes can only be played with other Essentials classes?

Essentials classes are made to function alongside standard 4e classes, and do a good job of it.

there are no balance or compatibility issues.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-08, 01:14 PM
I like it, but it seems awfully similar to the Bard, was this intentional? I love the flavor though. I look forward to seeing powers and maybe some feats as well. So they are casters that go into melee? Sorta like the Hexblade, but a leader?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 06:07 PM
So they are casters that go into melee? Sorta like the Hexblade, but a leader?

Yes. i will give them more buffing auras, some weapon powers, and a few de-buffing bursts that also deal damage.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-08, 07:39 PM
Cool, I await your results.:smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 10:00 PM
Any ideas for more interesting at-will flagbearer auras?

IcemanJRC
2011-06-08, 10:11 PM
Perhaps one that increases Melee Reach and/or Range. Perhaps one that grants Regeneration. Or a banner that creates difficult terrain for the enemy. Maybe you should look at making some auras that are more interactive with the enemy. I'm not sure, maybe you'd prefer to keep the banners merely allies. Those are my suggestions.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 10:23 PM
Perhaps one that increases Melee Reach and/or Range. Perhaps one that grants Regeneration. Or a banner that creates difficult terrain for the enemy. Maybe you should look at making some auras that are more interactive with the enemy. I'm not sure, maybe you'd prefer to keep the banners merely allies. Those are my suggestions.

I would like to have benners only effect allies, since the Flagbearer has the leader roll.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-08, 10:29 PM
Okay, well the Reach/Range and Regeneration still seem viable. Perhaps one that grants you allies combat advantage or concealment as well?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-08, 11:01 PM
I decided to take a break from the Flagbearer and work on a monster. I will return to the Flaagbearer once I'm finished.

This monster is converted from D&D 3.5.

DRAEGLOTH
Draegloths are twisted four-armed horrors spawned from drow and demons. They have a cunning predatory intelligence and are always suppressing a feral blood-lust.

Drow priestesses will sometimes mate with glabrezu demons as a vile ritual preformed in the name of the dark goddess Lolth. Their children, draegloths, are hulking abominations with two massive clawed arms and two smaller ones protruding from their chests.

Sadistic Fiends: Draegloths delight in torture, carnage, and slaughter. Given the chance, they will play horrid cat-and-mouse games with their victims; mauling them into submission and then feasting on their still-conscious bodies.

Shapers of Shadow: They also have an innate affinity to darkness. Draegloths can meld into shadows, shape them, or use them as unholy weapons.

Champions of the Drow: Drow priestesses favor draegloths as bodygaurds, and they can often be found amongst the ranks of drow solders. They are hard to keep in check due to their irrational blood-lust, so it is not unkown for them to get carried away and slaughter the puny morsels on both sides of the fight. This is approved of by the drow matriarchy, as it weeds out the weaker male warriors.

Draegloth Fleshripper Level 14 Elite Brute
Large elemental magical beast (demon) XP 2,000
HP 250; Bloodied 125
AC 26; Fortitude 27; Reflex 25; Will 23
Speed 8, climb 2 (spider climb)
Initiative +8
Perception +13
Darkvision, Tremorsense 10
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Decaying Darkness (necrotic) • Aura 1
While the draegloth is bloodied, foes that start their turn within the aura take 10 necrotic damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Claw • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +17 vs. AC
Hit: 3d10 + 10 damage, or 4d10 + 15 against dazed creatures.
M Slashing Claws • At-Will
Effect: The draegloth uses claw against two different targets.
R Tethering Web (poison) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +15 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + 10 poison damage, and the target is tethered (save ends). While the target is tethered, it is dazed, and the draegloth can pull the target to a square adjacent to it during the draegloth’s turn as a minor action.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Religion +15, Stealth +13
Str 22 (+13) Dex 13 (+8) Wis 12 (+8)
Con 26 (+15) Int 17 (+10) Cha 14 (+9)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Abyssal, Elven

Draegloth Shadowshaper Level 16 Elite Controller
Large elemental magical beast (demon) XP 2,800
HP 240; Bloodied 120
AC 29; Fortitude 28; Reflex 27; Will 26
Initiative +10
Perception +14
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Vexing Darkness • Aura 2
Foes within the aura take a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
Combat Advantage
When the draegloth hits a creature it has combat advantage against, the attack does an extra 10 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Claw • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +22 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 5 damage, and the draegloth slides the target 1 square.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
C Shadow Burst (necrotic) • Encounter (recharges when first bloodied)
Attack: Close burst 3 (all enemies within burst); +22 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d10 + 10 necrotc damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends).
Skills Religion +17, Stealth +15
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 23 (+14) Dex 14 (+10) Wis 13 (+9)
Con 21 (+13) Int 18 (+12) Cha 15 (+10)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Abyssal, Elven

Draegloth Gorger Level 16 Elite Solder
Large elemental magical beast (demon) XP 2,800
HP 260; Bloodied 120
AC 29; Fortitude 28; Reflex 27; Will 26
Initiative +15
Perception +15
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Fang and Claw • Aura 1
When a foe starts their turn within the aura, they take 10 damage.
O Imposing Presence • Aura 3
Foes within the aura are marked.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Claw • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +24 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 10 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of the draegloth's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
M Gorge • At-Will
Attack: melee 1 (one creature the draegloth has combat advantage against); +24 vs AC
Hit: 3d10 + 10 damage, and the draegloth regains 10 hit points.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 23 (+14) Dex 14 (+10) Wis 13 (+9)
Con 21 (+13) Int 18 (+12) Cha 15 (+10)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Abyssal, Elven

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-09, 09:31 AM
I finished the fluff for the draegloth, and will now work on the flagbearer more before doing the crunch.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-09, 06:54 PM
I added even more to the flagbearer. Please tell me what you think.

dsmiles
2011-06-09, 07:02 PM
Very nice, on both the Flagbearer and the Draegloth.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-09, 07:10 PM
I added another draegloth, and I have a third coming soon.

Actually, I don't. I just realized I don't have time.

dsmiles
2011-06-09, 07:23 PM
Very nice. Unfortunately, it probably won't see much use in my current campaign (being the aforementioned Steampunk/Lovecraftian Horror campaign). I'm not sure there will be very much demonic activity, but if there is, you can rest assured that I will use the Draeglolth.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-09, 11:34 PM
I just added another draegloth and a couple more of 2nd level flagbearer powers.

The next monster will be Lovecraftian so dsmiles can use it.

Lemonus
2011-06-10, 08:00 AM
I really like the draegloth, and I can almost guarantee that it will see use in a RL campaign I'm gonna run soon. I'll tell you how it goes.

drawingfreak
2011-06-10, 09:39 AM
A Draegloth actually found its way into 4e in the Monster Manual 3. Comparing now...somehow, your Level 14 Elite Fleshripper seems to have a similar damage range as the Level 24 Standard in MM3. That seems a little over-powered for At-Wills.

But yeah, if you find yourself at a FLGS or a B&N, its in the MM3 on page 77.

Edit: I actually do like what I'm seeing, btw. Don't think I'm just here to rip on you.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-10, 10:31 AM
somehow, your Level 14 Elite Fleshripper seems to have a similar damage range as the Level 24 Standard in MM3. That seems a little over-powered for At-Wills.

Bare in mind that the Fleshripper also has below average hit points for its level and role, and that it's a brute.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-10, 03:17 PM
I've decided I'm going to start out some exaggerated versions of things from HERE (http://www.cracked.com/article/125_13-real-animals-lifted-directly-out-your-nightmares/).

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-12, 10:20 AM
This is a monster I updated for dsmiles. It's freaky as hell if you run it right.

NIGHTSEED
Nightseeds are tortured, Underdark-dwelling horrors from the Far Realm who occasionally ooze up to the surface in the dead of night to go on rampant killing sprees. Unlike most predators who hunt for survival, nightseeds hunt because only in killing, they can know release from their eternal torment.

Below towering montain ranges, in the nigh-infinite infinite labyrinth of the Underdark, and at the bottom of misty black seas, nightseeds lie dormant as they twist an writhe in unbearable agony for countless eons, waiting for the perfect moment to bubble up from the lightless depths and wreak petty revenge on the wholesome creatures of the natural world.

Alien and Awful: Nightseeds resemble boiling, writhing blobs of pitch-black oil and acid covered in scattered eyes, mouths, arms, and weeping sores. They enjoy nothing more than giving their helpless victims a taste of what they have been feeling since the world began, slowly dissolving them with thick, muchas-like fluid.

Unwitting Servitors: Overly ambitious mages and warlocks sometimes summon nightseeds to do their bidding. They can often control them for a short time, but doing so is incredibly mentally draining and can result in madness, death, or being eaten by a very angry nightseed.

Mysterious Origins: No one knows how nightseeds came to be or why they live in constant pain. Scholars endlessly debate these questions, but the truth is that nightseeds just aren't meant to exist.

Nightseed Level 21 Elite Brute
Large Abberant Magical Beast (Ooze) - 6,400 xp
HP 410 Bloodied 205
AC 32; Fortitude 33; Reflex 30; WIll 34
Initiative + 15
Speed 6, Fly 8 (hover)
Immune disease, poison
Resist 15 acid
Saving Throws +2
Action Points 1
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Acid Slime (acid) • Aura 5
Enemies treat the aura as difficult terrain. While the nightseed is bloodied, enemies who start their turn within the aura take 15 acid damage.
Ooze
Description
Regeneration
When the nightseed starts its turn, it regains 10 hit points. If it takes radiant damage, this power does not function for one round.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Dissolve (acid) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +23 vs Fortitude
Hit: 3d10 + 15 acid damage.
Miss: 15 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
R Acid Glob (acid) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +23 vs Reflex
Hit: 3d10 + 10 acid damage, and the target is slowed until the end of the nightseed's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Shadow Meld • At-Will
Effect: The nightseed shifts 10 squares and gains concealment until it takes a standard action.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
m Acid Spurt (keywords) • At-Will
Trigger: The nightseed is hit by a melee attack.
Attack: Melee 2 (the triggering creature); +25 vs Fortitude
Hit: 15 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth + 19
Str 30 Dex 19 Wis 17
Con 35 Int 7 Cha 19
Alignment Chaotic Evil

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-12, 01:13 PM
I added 3rd level powers to the Flagbearer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11165230&postcount=79).

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-13, 01:19 PM
Almost 2,300 views! Sweet! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :biggrin:

Conundrum
2011-06-15, 06:56 AM
This thread is full of so much awesome!

Have you ever watched the anime (or read the manga) Fullmetal Alchemist? I've been wanting to homebrew up an Alchemist class in that vein for a while, but I have no clue where to start (apart from that he'd have to have some variant on Ritual Casting as a class feature).

If you've got some time (and know what I'm talking about), would you mind giving it a whirl? :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2011-06-15, 07:41 AM
That Nightseed is looking awesome. Really awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-15, 09:52 AM
If you've got some time (and know what I'm talking about), would you mind giving it a whirl? :smallbiggrin:
I'm already working on a class, and I don't have time to do another. Perhaps when I'm finished.

That Nightseed is looking awesome. Really awesome. :smallbiggrin:
Thanks.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-15, 01:41 PM
Slaads are some of the most utterly terrifying D&D monsters every created. Since I love them so much, I decided to make more of them. The ones I have here are heavily inspired by the Alien movies.

SLAAD
Slaads are wholly evil creatures of pure chaos and blood lust. They reproduce by forcefully implanting their embryos in other creatures, which later painfully and fatally emerge from their hosts.

Slaads are vile inhabitants of the Elemental Chaos that resemble horrific hybrids of humanoids and disturbingly bloated, spike-covered frogs. They are covered in a thick layer of congealed phlegm that acts like armor, and have concentrated acid for blood.

Vile Reproduction: When a creature is implanted with a slaad fetus, they slowly go mad and turn on their allies. Eventually they slip into a hopeless state of dementia, and the creature claws its way out of their chest ot scull.

Predatory Cunning: Although not much more intelligent than a monkey or dog, slaads do posses an evil cunning that lets them assemble complex traps for their victims and use horribly effective pack tactics.

Unholy Arsenal: On top of their razor-sharp teeth and claws, slaads posses tails with poison stingers and the ability to use their own corrosive blood as a weapon. Before they go into battle, they tear themselves open so they can cover their claws in acid.

Young Slaad Level 6 Brute
Small elemental beast - XP 250
HP 60 Bloodied 30
AC 18; Fortitude 17; Reflex 17; WIll 14
Initiative +9
Speed 6
Low-light vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Ripping Teeth • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs AC
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage.
M Tail Sting (poison) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature granting combat advantage to the slaad); +10 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 8 damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends both.)
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Selfripper (acid) • Encounter
Effect: The slaad takes 10 damage, and its attacks deal an extra 5 acid damage on a hit for the rest of the encounter.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Acid Blood (keywords) • At-Will
Trigger (immediate reaction): The slaad is hit by a melee attack.
Effect: The triggering creature takes 5 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +6
Str 22 Dex 16 Wis 12
Con 20 Int 3 Cha 8
Alignment Chaotic Evil

Slaad Level 9 Brute
Small elemental beast - XP 250
HP 90 Bloodied 45
AC 20; Fortitude 19; Reflex 19; WIll 16
Initiative +11
Speed 8
Low-light vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Teeth and Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +15 vs AC
Hit: 2d10 + 12 damage.
M Tail Sting (poison) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature granting combat advantage to the slaad); +13 vs AC
Hit: 1d12 + 10 damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends both.)
M Forceful Implantation • Encounter
Attack: Melee 1 (one slowed or immobilized creature) + 13 vs Fortitude
Hit: 10 damage, and the target is implanted with a slaad fetus (see below).
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Selfripper (acid) • Encounter
Effect: The slaad takes 10 damage, and its attacks deal an extra 5 acid damage on a hit for the rest of the encounter.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Acid Blood (keywords) • At-Will
Trigger (immediate reaction): The slaad is hit by a melee attack.
Effect: The triggering creature takes 5 acid damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +8
Str 26 Dex 18 Wis 13
Con 22 Int 5 Cha 9
Alignment Chaotic Evil

Slaad Fetus - Level 9 Disease
Creatures infected by slaad embryos succumb to irrational madness before they are finally killed by the young monster bursting out of their chest.
Stage 0: The target recovers from the disease, and the slaad embryo dies, and the target permanently loses a healing surge.
Stage 1 (starting stage): The target loses a healing surge, and takes a -2 penalty to will defense.
Stage 2: The target loses all healing surges, takes a -5 penalty to will defense, all while bloodied succumbs to madness and attacks the nearest creature.
Stage 3: The target dies, and a young slaad burrows out of their chest.
Check: At the end of each extended rest, the target makes an Endurance check.
15 or lower: The stage of the disease increases by one.
16 -19: No Change
20 or higher: The stage of the disease decreases by one.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-15, 05:57 PM
I added some fourth level powers to my base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11165230&postcount=79). What do you think?

This thread also has a total of 14 complete homebrew entries and one incomplete homebrew entry that is still playable. Awesome!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-16, 09:30 PM
I've just started converting something from the 3.5 Book of Vile Darkness. I'll have it up in a bit.

dsmiles
2011-06-16, 09:44 PM
Hey, love those Slaad. Of course, I've always loved Slaad. Especially with a nice, light, raspberry vinaigrette. :smallwink:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-16, 10:55 PM
This is a monster theme similar to the ones you will find in the DMG II. A monster theme is really just a collection of optional powers and stat-adjustments sharing a particular theme that you can use to spice up a monster.

CORRUPTED
Corrupted creatures pervert nature in every imaginable way. Their twisted forms are things of nightmare, and their minds are stagnant hives of pure evil.

Mortal creatures corrupted in several ways. Some are tainted by evil planes of existence, some are created through horrific experiments, and some are twisted by vile magic. They fester in the vile recesses of the plains, seeking other beings with whom they can share their torment.

Beings react to being corrupted in unique ways. Some waste away and die, some become hideously bloated, some rot from the inside out and acquire a sickening stench, and some become deathly pale and nearly skeletal. Their flesh toughens, their teeth multiply, and their eyes turn crimson.

Vile Stench (Trait)
Give this power to non-minion solders, brutes, and controllers. It strikes fear into the hearts of the heroes and makes them want to get as far away from their foul-smelling enemies as possible.

O Vile Stench • Aura 1
Enemies within the aura regain only half hit points from healing effects, and become weakened (save ends) whenever they spend a healing surge.

Dead Body (Trait)
This power makes any monster nastier.

Dead Body
The corrupted creature is immune to disease and poison, is considered undead, and takes only half damage from effects with the necrotic keyword. In addition, the corrupted creature cannot use encounter, daily, or recharge powers (save ends) whenever it takes radiant damage.

Corrupting Talons (Standard Action)
This power works with any non-minion melee fighter.

m Corrupting Talons • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); [level] + 4 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + [level] damage, and the target loses a healing surge.

Necrotic Spit (Minor Action)
Few things are more unsettling than your foe spitting corrosive slime in your face.

R Necrotic Spit (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 3 (one creature); [level] + 2 vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d4 + [level] necrotic damage, and the takes a -2 penalty to fortitude until the end of the corrupted creature's next turn.

Rot Flesh (Standard Action)
This is a good power for controllers, artilleries, and skirmishers.

R Rot Flesh (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); [Level] + 3 vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + [level] necrotic damage, and the target cannot regain hit points until the end of the corrupted creature's next turn.
Miss: [Level] necrotic damage.

Gorge (Standard Action)
When your foe takes a bite out of you, swallows it, and attacks you with newfound vigor, you are going to be scared. Give this power to humanoids to portray the most horror.

M Gorge • At-Will
Attack: melee 1 (one creature the corrupted creature has combat advantage against); [Level] + 5 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + [level] damage, and the corrupted creature regains 5 hit points per tier.

Corrupted Krenshar Level 3 Soldier
Medium natural beast XP 150
HP 34; Bloodied 17
AC 18; Fortitude 15; Reflex 14; Will 13
Speed 8
Initiative +5
Perception +5
Low-Light Vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Corrupting Talons • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +8 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 3 damage, and the target loses a healing surge.
M Wicked Jaws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +6 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + 5 damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Predatory Advance • Encounter
Effect: The krenshar shifts 3 sqares in the direction of an enemy.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Attack: Close burst 5 (targets one creature); +7 vs. Will
Hit: The target takes a -1 penalty to all defences (save ends). This effect does not stack.
R Necrotic Spit (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 3 (one creature); +6 vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d4 + 3 necrotic damage, and the takes a -2 penalty to fortitude until the end of the krenshar's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Intimidate +4
Str 23 (+7) Dex 15 (+3) Wis 9 (+0)
Con 8 (+0) Int 1 (–4) Cha 12 (+2)
Alignment unaligned

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-17, 03:41 PM
I added three more powers to my base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11165230&postcount=79).

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-17, 10:53 PM
Still no new comments?

Also, I the flow of homebrew might slow down furtherer since I'm currently working on non-D&D project with Cody (the guy who drew the monster at the top of the first page).

dsmiles
2011-06-18, 07:52 AM
Sorry, been pretty busy. I like the Corrupted theme. I have to admit, though, I haven't really been following your Flagbearer every time you put up powers. I'd prefer to see it all at once. Sorry. :smallredface:

Lemonus
2011-06-18, 07:48 PM
I'm going to be doing some DMing on Wednesday, and I plan to use the Draegloth. I'll tell you how it goes.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-18, 07:50 PM
I'm going to be doing some DMing on Wednesday, and I plan to use the Draegloth. I'll tell you how it goes.

Thank you. I'm honored.

Flail_master
2011-06-19, 12:26 PM
Hey there, awesome stuff! :smallbiggrin:
you seem really practiced in this... and I heard You're taking requests?
may i make one if you aren't too busy? it has a few specifics to it.
I'm relatively new to DM'ing 4th edition and thus am not too confident with homebrewing yet, and there's definitely nothing in the current books that i can use as a re-skin for my concept.

many many thanks if you can :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-19, 12:31 PM
Hey there, awesome stuff! :smallbiggrin:
you seem really practiced in this... and I heard You're taking requests?
may i make one if you aren't too busy? it has a few specifics to it.
I'm relatively new to DM'ing 4th edition and thus am not too confident with homebrewing yet, and there's definitely nothing in the current books that i can use as a re-skin for my concept.

many many thanks if you can :smallbiggrin:

I have a bit of time. What do you want me to do?

Flail_master
2011-06-19, 12:51 PM
ok, well basically i have this guy called Durzo Blint, He's a weretiger, but he's pretty much the most destructive and brutal thing in existence, his only purpose is slaughter because he enjoys it so much, leaving small villages in ruin wherever he roams. In my game he's the most legendary lycanthrope alive.

the thing is, however, i dont particularly like 4e weretigers, and they it doesnt seem possible to scale one up enough to be as destructive as i need him to be.

so basically, i need this guy to be a solo creature of around 11th-14th level probably a brute. and if possible, when he transforms to hybrid form, i would like his strength to have a HUGE jump, like, 18-30 or something appropriate for his level, and I'm not bothered if that replaces an at will ability or something, just so long as he just has a silly amount of strength in hybrid form. :smallamused:

(Human in normal form btw.)

(i think equipment factors into level too, so i'll say he'll have a +3 jagged Bastard sword, preferably no armour, just loads of natural armour if possible)

i want him to be absolutely brutal, a force of nature, with abilities that allow him to show off his strength, throwing people around and the such. :smallbiggrin:

again thanks a bunch if you can do it, i always feel like I'm asking too much when asking for stuff like this :smalltongue:
if you need anything else, please ask, and if anything isn't possible, please say so :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-19, 12:57 PM
ok, well basically i have this guy called Durzo Blint, He's a weretiger, but he's pretty much the most destructive and brutal thing in existence, his only purpose is slaughter because he enjoys it so much, leaving small villages in ruin wherever he roams. In my game he's the most legendary lycanthrope alive.

the thing is, however, i dont particularly like 4e weretigers, and they it doesnt seem possible to scale one up enough to be as destructive as i need him to be.

so basically, i need this guy to be a solo creature of around 11th-14th level probably a brute. and if possible, when he transforms to hybrid form, i would like his strength to have a HUGE jump, like, 18-30 or something appropriate for his level, and I'm not bothered if that replaces an at will ability or something, just so long as he just has a silly amount of strength in hybrid form. :smallamused:

(Human in normal form btw.)

(i think equipment factors into level too, so i'll say he'll have a +3 jagged Bastard sword, preferably no armour, just loads of natural armour if possible)

i want him to be absolutely brutal, a force of nature, with abilities that allow him to show off his strength, throwing people around and the such. :smallbiggrin:

again thanks a bunch if you can do it, i always feel like I'm asking too much when asking for stuff like this :smalltongue:
if you need anything else, please ask, and if anything isn't possible, please say so :smallsmile:

Well let's see. In 4e, it is generally frowned upon for ability scores to change during combat, but I can make him much more deadly in his hybrid form. Also - judging by your description - I think he should be a Solo monster. That way he can provide a nasty challenge for the players without having henchmen or anything.

Flail_master
2011-06-19, 01:01 PM
Well let's see. In 4e, it is generally frowned upon for ability scores to change during combat, but I can make him much more deadly in his hybrid form. Also - judging by your description - I think he should be a Solo monster. That way he can provide a nasty challenge for the players without having henchmen or anything.

ah that's fair enough. so long as he has lots of strength and is more deadly as a hybrid i am happy :smallbiggrin:
and indeed solo is the way to go with this guy :smallamused:

feel free to make his abilities as brutal as possible, i see this guy grabbing someones face and throwing him accross the battlefield while biting someones neck all at once :smalltongue: (thats not what i want an ability to be I'm just giving an example lol)

many thanks again! i look forward to it! :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-19, 01:12 PM
ah that's fair enough. so long as he has lots of strength and is more deadly as a hybrid i am happy :smallbiggrin:
and indeed solo is the way to go with this guy :smallamused:

feel free to make his abilities as brutal as possible, i see this guy grabbing someones face and throwing him accross the battlefield while biting someones neck all at once :smalltongue: (thats not what i want an ability to be I'm just giving an example lol)

many thanks again! i look forward to it! :smallbiggrin:

Your players will be trembling in their boots, I promise.

I'm going to walk my dog and get my dad something for father's day, and then I'll work on your thing.

Flail_master
2011-06-19, 01:52 PM
Your players will be trembling in their boots, I promise.

I'm going to walk my dog and get my dad something for father's day, and then I'll work on your thing.

aaah the anticipation :smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-19, 01:55 PM
aaah the anticipation :smalltongue:

I also forgot that I had to buy lunch, make it, and eat it. I just finished doing that. Now I have to do the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

Flail_master
2011-06-19, 01:57 PM
I also forgot that I had to buy lunch, make it, and eat it. I just finished doing that. Now I have to do the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

lol it's cool, take ur time, by no means am i trying to rush you :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-19, 06:32 PM
Durzo Blint, Weretiger Level 14 Solo Brute
Medium natural humanoid - XP 5,000
HP 550 Bloodied 225
AC 25; Fortitude 26; Reflex 23; WIll 26
Initiative +12
Speed 8
Saving Throws +5
Action Points 2
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Burning Fury (fire) • Aura 3
Enemies who start their turn within the aura take 10 fire damage. 15 fire damage while Durzo is bloodied.
Tough Hide
Druzo gains resist 5 to all damage dealt by attack that target AC. This resistance increases to 10 while Durzo is in his hybrid form.
Shrug it Off
When Durzo starts his turn, he can make a saving throw. If he succeeds, all ongoing effects on him immediately end. While he is bloodied, he succeeds on this saving throw on any roll other than a 1.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Jagged Blade (weapon) • At-Will (Durzo can only use this power when in his normal form)
Attack: Melee 1 (up to five creatures); + 17 vs AC
Hit: 2d8 + 20 damage.
Miss: 10 damage.
m Claws • At-Will (Durzo can only use this power when in his hybrid form)
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); + 17 vs AC
Hit: 5d10 + 10 damage.
M Claw Assault • At-Will (Durzo can only use this power when in his hybrid form)
Effect: Druzo uses Claws five times.
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Change Form • At-Will
Effect: Druzo changes from his normal form into his hybrid form. While in his hybrid form, his size increases to large, and he resembles a combination of human and tiger. He can change back to his normal form as a minor action. See also Tough Hide, Claws, and Claw Assault.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Final Stand • Encounter
Trigger (Immediate Reaction): Druzo is reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect: Druzo returns to the fight with 20 hit points, resist 10 to all damage, and a +10 bonus to damage rolls. He loses these bonuses at the end of the encounter.
- - - - - - - - - -
Str 30 Dex 17 Wis 13
Con 28 Int 9 Cha 15
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Languages Common

Flail_master
2011-06-20, 04:01 PM
I just started owrking on Durzo when I realized I needed to catch the ferry. This is the very little bit I have so far:

Durzo Blint, Weretiger Level 14 Solo Brute
Medium natural humanoid - xp vaule
HP 550 Bloodied 225
AC ; Fortitude ; Reflex ; WIll
Initiative
Speed
Perception
Immune ; Resist ; Vulnerable
Saving Throws
Action Points
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Aura Name (keywords) • Aura Size
Description
Trait Name (keywords)
Description
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
[?] Action Name (keywords) • Usage
Attack: Range (targets); attack bonus
Hit:
Miss:
Effect:
Special:
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
Hit:
Miss:
Effect:
Special:
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Hit:
Miss:
Effect:
Special:
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Hit:
Miss:
Effect:
Special:
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills
Str Dex Wis
Con Int Cha
Alignment
Languages

haha, i was stunned by the amount of health... excellent :smallamused:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-20, 04:53 PM
haha, i was stunned by the amount of health... excellent :smallamused:

Actually, the amount of health I gave him is slightly less than what is recommended for his level and role. I'm going to give him regeneration and ridiculous amounts of offensive power to make up for it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-20, 06:09 PM
I just finished Druzo. You should check him out.

He hits a little harder than he probably should, and gets REALLY nasty when bloodied. He also gives the PCs a little surprise if they somehow manage to kill him.

Flail_master
2011-06-21, 05:01 AM
I just finished Druzo. You should check him out.

He hits a little harder than he probably should, and gets REALLY nasty when bloodied. He also gives the PCs a little surprise if they somehow manage to kill him.

yay!:smallbiggrin:

reads.... :smallbiggrin: awesome! i love it!

and next... i HATE to criticize... but.

whats his regen value? and i should have been more clear, Jagged weapon is a magical weapon from the 'adventurers vault', or would it be too much to give him a magical weapon?

again, i LOVE this, I'm just mainly worried about how it relates in terms of how i see him, the reast is brilliant and i love it! :smallbiggrin: thank you!

Flail_master
2011-06-21, 07:40 AM
then again, his current jagged blade attack, is pretty freakin badass. i guess i can just say that when they kill him, his weapon counts as a jagged bastard sword, as in the magical weapon? :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-21, 08:43 AM
whats his regen value?
I gave him the Final Stand power at the last minute, and decided that he didn't need a regen value. Final Stand does something similar, and is cinematic.

then again, his current jagged blade attack, is pretty freakin badass. i guess i can just say that when they kill him, his weapon counts as a jagged bastard sword, as in the magical weapon? :smallbiggrin:
In D&D 4th edition, the accuracy, AC, and damage of monsters isn't at all effected by the equipment they are carrying. If you want him to have a jagged bastard sword, go right ahead. You can use his current stats and say the PCs find one with his corpse.

Flail_master
2011-06-21, 10:08 AM
I gave him the Final Stand power at the last minute, and decided that he didn't need a regen value. Final Stand does something similar, and is cinematic.

In D&D 4th edition, the accuracy, AC, and damage of monsters isn't at all effected by the equipment they are carrying. If you want him to have a jagged bastard sword, go right ahead. You can use his current stats and say the PCs find one with his corpse.

oho! i learn more every day! you are very knowledgeable indeed :smallbiggrin:
this thread title is not an overstatement

EDIT: one last thing i just remembered! i love his aura! and i HATE HATE HATE to say this, cos you did such an awesome job! I'm worried that it's a bit too magical for him, is there an aura thats more ' i hit it with my sword'-esque?...

actually.... i could change it to regular damage and call the aura 'never-ending carnage' or something similar? :smallconfused:

EDIT 2: Ya know what, dont worry i sorted it out :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-23, 09:04 PM
I've just started working on another monster entry. Hang in there!

Also, I added more powers to the Flagbearer.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-23, 09:44 PM
My newest monster entry is a cross between a giant lizard and a crab. No, not the kind of crab you might be thinking of. I mean the larger kind of crab.

VICECLAW DRAKE
These amphibious predators hide in the water, and then jump out suddenly at their unsuspecting victims. They then drag their screaming meals under with their giant, vicelike claws.

Evolution works in strange ways. Strange enough to create creatures that resemble deformed and hideous hybrids of drake and crab. Viceclaw drakes are about six feet long, with huge claws, serrated teeth, and a coating of fire-resistant slime on their scaly flesh.

Lurking Horrors: Viceclaw drakes lurk just under the surface of the stagnant water in their boggy homes, breathing comfortably with their gaping gills. When prey is close, they burst out, drag them under, and tear them apart with their wicked teeth.

Perfect Killers: Viceclaw drakes are armed with teeth, claws, and poisons saliva. They are also fast, incredibly strong, stealthy, and cunning. As if that wasn't enough, their hide is nearly impervious to damage and their slimy coating protects them from magical energy.

Viceclaw Drake Ripper Level 13 Solder
Medium natural beast - XP 800
HP 100 Bloodied 50
AC 29; Fortitude 28; Reflex 28; WIll 28
Initiative +15
Perception +15
Speed 8
Resist 10 fire, 10 lightning
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Imposing Aura • Aura 2
Enemies within the aura are marked.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Toxic Bite (poison) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +20 vs AC
Hit: 2d10 + 10 damage, and the target must make a saving throw. If they fail, they take 10 poison damage.
M Clamping Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +20 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 15 damage, and the target is grabbed (escape DC 22).
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
M Mad Thrashing • At-Will
Trigger (Immediate Reaction): The viceclaw drake it hit by a melee attack.
Attack: Melee 1 (the triggering creature); +20 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 10 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +18
Str 26 Dex 17 Wis 18
Con 20 Int 5 Cha 9
Alignment Unaligned

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-29, 03:03 PM
This is a monster I made for a game I'm going to run. I was originally just going to use a purple dragon, but I decided to be a little more creative.

Keradlurk, Purple Dragon Level 5 Elite Controller
Medium natural beast (dragon) - XP 400
HP 100 Bloodied 50
AC 21; Fortitude 19; Reflex 19; WIll 21
Initiative +6
Speed 6, fly 8 (hover)
Resist 5 psychic
Saving Throws +2
Action Points 1
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Swirling Madness (keywords) • Aura Size
Whne a foe starts their turn within the aura, Keradlurk can slide them 1 square.
Destroyed by Sunlight
When Keradlurk begins his turn in direct sunlight, he can take only a single standard action on his turn. If he ends the turn in direct sunlight, he burns to ash and is destroyed.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Awful Claws (necrotic) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +11 vs AC
Hit: 2d10 + 5 necrotic damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Keradlurk's next turn.
C Dominating Breath (psychic) • Recharge 6
Attack: Close blast 3 (all enemies within blast); +10 vs Will
Hit: 3d10 + 10 psychic damage, and the target is dominated (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Minor Actions
m Tail Lash • At-Will
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage, and if Keradlurk has combat advantage against the target, the target is also dazed until the end of his next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Desperate Flapping • At-Will (useable only while Keradlurk is bloodied)
Effect: Keradlurk flies 6 squares without triggering opportune attacks, and each creature adjacent to the square he started from takes 5 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +9, Insight +9, Intimidate +12
Str 13 Dex 15 Wis 14
Con 11 Int 14 Cha 21
Alignment Evil
Languages Common, Elven, Deep Speech

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-06-29, 10:02 PM
I just added some new powers to my base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11165230&postcount=79), which is now playable up to level 6.

Once I have finished the heroic tier, I will do some play-testing.

IcemanJRC
2011-06-29, 11:08 PM
I just added some new powers to my base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11165230&postcount=79), which is now playable up to level 6.

Once I have finished the heroic tier, I will do some play-testing.

Looking better every level. After Heroic tier I think I might try to do some play testing to.:smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-02, 12:35 AM
I'm working on an exiting new homebrew entry. Not a monster.

I'll have it up in a bit.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-02, 01:10 AM
This Paragon Path makes fun of heavy metal music, but no offence is meant. In fact, I'm actually an avid metal fan.

METAL BARD
Prerequisite: Bard class, CHA 17.

Metal bards harness the raw terrible power of the Nine Hells and the Abyss to vanquish their adversaries. They are not inherently evil, but always boast a set of unsettling piercings and tattoos.

Routine Gothic Chant (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, all enemies within 10 squares grant combat advantage (save ends). The air echoes with the sound of a Gothic choir engaging in a guttural, throaty chant.

This is My Axe (11th Level): You have a massive, evil-looking guitar that functions as a bard implement. In addition, it can also function as a +2 greataxe that you are proficient with. It works like a +3 greataxe at 16th level, +4 at 21st level, and +5 at 26th level.

Mounting Carnage (11th level): Whenever you drop a non-minion enemy to 0 hit points, each enemy adjacent to them takes 10 fire and necrotic damage.

Soul-Crushing Instrumental (11th level): You gain the Soul-Crushing Instrumental power.

Back From the Brink (12th level): You gain the Back From the Brink power.

Burn the Weak (16th level): Whenever you deal damage to an enemy granting you Combat Advantage, they take ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).

Badass Strike (20th level): You gain the Badass Strike power.

Soul-Crushing Instrumental
You unleash a deafening, grating blast of music from your electric guitar punctuted by the sound of cowbells and singing succubi.
Encounter
Arcane, Implament
Standard Action
Close Burst 5
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack: Charisma vs Will
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma Modifier necrotic and thunder damage.
Effect: The target gains vulnerable 5 to attacks dealt by your Axe until the end of your next turn.

Back From the Brink
You return from the brink of oblivion, powerful and terrifying to behold.
Encounter
Arcane
Minor Action
Effect: You regain hit points equal to your Charisma score, and gain a +5 bonus to the damage roll on your next successful attack.

Badass Strike
You throw your head back, stick out your pierced tongue, scream, and disembowel an unfortunate foe. Their companions watch in horror and must resist the temptation to flee.
Daily
Arcane, Implament
Standard Action
Melee
Target: One adjacent creature
Attack: Strength vs AC
Hit: 4 [W] + Strength Modifier damage.
Effect: Each enemy within 5 squares of the target must choose to either take 10 psychic damage, or be pushed 3 squares.

Conundrum
2011-07-03, 07:12 PM
That's fantastic. I don't play bards because I don't like the flavour, but if I was allowed to take that Paragon Path.....

You've given me a lot to think about.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-10, 05:14 PM
Hmmm... What to do?

Perhaps some items? I haven't done any of those yet.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-29, 05:00 PM
I'm back! And once again accepting requests! I plan on doing a series of Heroic Tier Underdark monsters, but I'm still open to doing other things.

NOTE: If you intend on joining my drow-themed PBP game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12439079#post12439079), stop reading now! This is not intended for your eyes.

Kuo-Toa
Vomited from the bowls of Far Realm, these hideous fish-men lurk in the freezing black pools of the Underdark, torturing lesser creatures in tribute to their terrifying alien gods.

Kuo-toa are amphibious Underdark-dwelling humanoids that resemble a cross between a fish, a frog, and a man. They reside in bleak slime-drenched cities in the depths of the Underdark, where they are supported by legions of possessed slaves, which they routinely torture and sacrifice to appease the dark deities such as Cthulhu and Dagon.

The kuo-toa mind is truly alien. They think in ways that we cannot comprehend, and they - in turn - cannot comprehend the way we think. Their morals and ethics are nonsensical, just as ours must surely be to them.

Aboleth Subjects: It is not uncommon for kuo-toa to blive under the rule of aboleths. They will treat their ruler with almost as much respect as they do their gods, and will readily die for them.

Treasured Eggs: In drow cities, kuo-toa eggs are delicacy. Well-off drow will pay handsomely for these slimy green spheres, each batch of which costs lives to bring to the city. Treasure hunters will delve into kuo-toa to retrieve the eggs, risking a thousand sickening deaths. A single batch can keep a lucky merchant rich for years.

Madness: Madness, to the kuo-toa, is a contagious disease. It stays dormant for years, decades, or centuries, then surfaces driving many of the kuo-toa into an incurable state of psychotic dementia, that spreads from one fish-man to the next. When a kuo-toa shows signs of the disease, it is killed immediately, to prevent the madness spreading to other kuo-toa.

It is the job of the clergy to weed out mad kuo-toa. They are trined in the difficult art of resisting the madness, but when they become mad, they fall even deeper into delirium.

To create a mad kuo-toa, give an existing kuo-toa the following trait:

Blind Blood-Lust
When the kuo-toa ends its turn, if it started its turn bloodied, and did not attack a living creature during its turn, it takes 5 damage. In addition, the kuo-toa gains a +5 bonus to damage rolls while bloodied.

Wretched Kuo-Toa Level 5 Minion Brute
Medium Abberant Humanoid - xp 50
AC 17; Fortitude 17; Reflex 14; Will 15
Initiative +2
Speed 6, Swim 4
Perception +3
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
Slippery
Whenever the kuo-toa provokes an attack of opportunity, it can make a saving throw. If it succeeds, the attack of opportunity is cancelled.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Sticky Slam (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +10 vs AC
Hit: 15 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Maddening Mind (psychic) • At-Will
Trigger: The kuo-toa is hit by an attack that targets Will.
Effect: The triggering creature must make a saving throw. If they fail, they take 1d6 psychic damage and grant combat advantage (save ends both).
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +7
Str 20 Dex 10 Wis 12
Con 18 Int 10 Cha 6
Alignment Evil
Languages Deep Speech

Kuo-Toa Fighter Level 5 Soldier
Medium Abberant Humanoid - xp 200
HP 50 Bloodied 25
AC 20; Fortitude 18; Reflex 17; Will 19
Initiative +2
Speed 6, Swim 4
Perception +3
Resist 5 psychic, 5 cold, 5 fire; Vulnerable 5 lightning
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Imposing Presence • Aura 1
Enemies within the aura are marked.
Slippery
Whenever the kuo-toa provokes an attack of opportunity, it can make a saving throw. If it succeeds, the attack of opportunity is cancelled.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Spear (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 10 damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to Reflex Defence (save ends).
M Impale (weapon) • Recharge 6
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +9 vs Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + 15 damage, and the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends both).
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Effect: The triggering creature must make a saving throw. If they fail, they take 1d6 psychic damage and grant combat advantage (save ends both).
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +7
Str 20 Dex 10 Wis 12
Con 18 Int 10 Cha 6
Alignment Evil
Languages Deep Speech

Kuo-Toa Priest Level 6 Controller
Medium Abberant Humanoid - xp 250
HP 57 Bloodied 28
AC 19; Fortitude 17; Reflex 15; Will 19
Initiative +3
Speed 6, Swim 4
Perception +7
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Unsettling Whispers • Aura 1
Enemies within the aura grant combat advantage.
Slippery
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Tentacle Arm • At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +11 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 9 damage, and the target must make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.
M Rend • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one prone creature); +10 vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + 15 damage, and the target cannot get up (save ends).
Miss: 15 damage.
R Vile Adhesive (arcane, acid) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +10 vs Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + 9 acid damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +8
Str 20 Dex 10 Wis 18
Con 18 Int 10 Cha 6
Alignment Evil
Languages Deep Speech

Kuo-Toa Ripper Level 6 Brute
Medium Abberant Humanoid - xp 250
HP 72 Bloodied 36
AC 17; Fortitude 17; Reflex 13; Will 15
Initiative +3
Speed 6, Swim 4
Perception +4
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Terror • Aura 1
Whenever an enemy starts their turn within the aura, they must make a saving throw. If they fail, they take a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the start of their next turn.
Slippery
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Nasty Claw • At-Will
Hit: 1d10 + 20 damage.
M Finish Em' Off • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one bloodied creature); +13 vs AC
Hit: 3d10 + 15 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Adhesive Blood (psychic) • At-Will
Trigger: The kuo-toa is hit by a melee attack.
Effect: The triggering creature is slowed until the end of their next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +8
Str 22 Dex 10 Wis 12
Con 25 Int 10 Cha 6
Alignment Evil
Languages Deep Speech

hobbitguy1420
2011-12-30, 11:12 AM
I'm impressed! I don't know much about Essentials-style homebrew design, but everything seems great.

I was wondering if I could mooch some feedback on my own little homebrew project, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176887) Specifically, I'm stuck on a 20th-level power for the paragon path, and am trying to think up some new racial feats for 'em.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-30, 11:07 PM
I wanna convert some obscure AD&D monster. Any ideas?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-31, 10:26 PM
I found this critter in a 1990s Dragon magazine, re-imagined it, and gave it some stats. The result isn't fascinating or anything, but is fun to throw at your players while they travel through the Underdark or similar.

Bainligor
Hideous flightless bat people that stalk the Underdark, preying on unsuspecting travellers and feasting on their bone marrow.

Bainligor are primative tribal humanoids that resemble a disturbing combination of human and bat. They are hunched, hairy, and naked, with wings that degenerated into crooked arms and flat ugly faces. They stalk the Underdark in nomadic clans, living on mushrooms, rothe, and humanoid victims. They are considered to be vermin by most inhabitants of the Underdark, which could be considered unfair, because of their near-human intelligence.

Age-Based Hierarchy: The leader of a bainligor clan is always the oldest. As the bat-people age, they grow stronger, tougher, and larger - until their heart cannot handle the mass of their body and they suddenly die. This process takes about thirty years.

Shrill Screeches: Bainligor speak Deep Speech, but their voices are too high-pitched for most humanoids to hear. They are audible if they talk in very low voices, but even then sound like they are speaking in a high pitched squeal. Because of this, they usually have trouble communicating with other species.

The shrieks of an enraged bainligor cannot be heard, but they can be felt (as a highly unpleasant buzzing sensation). The bat-people use this to disorient their victims before attacking.

Bainligor Whelp Level 3 Minion Lurker
Medium Fey Humanoid - 35 xp
AC 17; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 15
Initiative +4
Speed 6
Perception +2, Darkvision
Vulnerable 5 radiant
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Shrieks (thunder) • Aura 1
Enemies within the aura take a -1 penalty to all defences. This effect stacks.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Crooked Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +5 vs AC
Hit: 9 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Scamper • At-Will
Effect: The bainligor shifts 1d4 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Dart Into the Shadows • At-Will
Trigger: The bainligor is missed by an attack.
Effect: The bainligor shifts 1d4 squares away from the triggering creature and gains concealment until it takes an action.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +9
Str 11 Dex 16 Wis 12
Con 14 Int 6 Cha 6
Alignment Unaligned
Languages Deep Speech

Bainligor Fang Fiend Level 3 Brute
Medium Fey Humanoid - 150 xp
HP 35 Bloodied 17
AC 17; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 15
Initiative +3
Speed 6
Vulnerable 5 radiant
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Shrieks (thunder) • Aura 2
Enemies within the aura take a -1 penalty to all defences. This effect stacks.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Claws and Bite • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +5 vs AC; two attacks
Hit: 1d6 + 5 damage.
Special: If both attacks hit, the target takes an extra 1d6+5 points of damage, and cannot regain hit points (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Agressive Scamper • At-Will
Effect: The bainligor shifts 1d6 squares towards an enemy.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Punishing Fangs • At-Will
Trigger: The bainligor is hit by an adjacent creature with a melee attack.
Effect: The triggering creature must make a saving throw to avoid taking ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +9
Str 16 Dex 12 Wis 12
Con 14 Int 6 Cha 6
Alignment Unaligned
Languages Deep Speech

Bainligor Shrieker Level 3 Controller
Medium Fey Humanoid - 150 xp
HP 30 Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude 15; Reflex 17; Will 16
Initiative +6
Speed 6
Vulnerable 5 radiant
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Shrieks (thunder) • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura take a -1 penalty to all defences.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Unbalancing Claws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 8 damage, and the bainligor slides the target 1 square.
R Focused Shriek • Recharge 4 5 6
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +7 vs Fortitude
Hit: 10 thunder damage.
Effect: The target grants combat advantage (save ends).
C Focused Shriek • Encounter
Attack: Close Burst 3 (all enemies within burst); +5 vs Fortitude
Hit: 10 thunder damage.
Effect: The target grants combat advantage until the end of the bainligor's next turn.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Scamper • At-Will
Effect: The bainligor shifts 1d4 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Punishing Shriek • At-Will
Trigger: The bainligor is hit by an attack.
Effect: The triggering creature must make a saving throw to avoid taking 5 thunder damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +11
Str 16 Dex 16 Wis 12
Con 14 Int 8 Cha 6
Alignment Unaligned
Languages Deep Speech

Bainligor Elder Level 5 Soldier
Medium Fey Humanoid - 200 xp
HP 40 Bloodied 20
AC 20; Fortitude 19; Reflex 19; Will 18
Initiative +4
Speed 6
Perception +3, Darkvision
- - - - - - - - - -
Traits
O Shrieks (thunder) • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura take a -2 penalty to all defences. This effect stacks.
Intimidating Anger
While the bainligor is bloodied, adjacent enemies grant combat advantage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Standard Actions
m Powerful Claws • At-Will
Hit: 2d10 + 10 damage.
Effect: The target is marked, until the bainligor is slain, or until it attacks another creature.
- - - - - - - - - -
Move Actions
Scamper • At-Will
Effect: The bainligor shifts 1d6 squares.
- - - - - - - - - -
Triggered Actions
Punishing Fangs • At-Will
Trigger: The bainligor is hit by an adjacent creature with a melee attack.
Effect: The triggering creature must make a saving throw to avoid taking ongoing 10 damage.
- - - - - - - - - -
Skills Stealth +10
Str 16 Dex 12 Wis 12
Con 14 Int 10 Cha 8
Alignment Unaligned
Languages Deep Speech

Ravian
2012-01-05, 09:24 PM
Hey, I've got a lovecraftian theme for a dark sun game and I was wondering if you could homebrew some Fire Vampires? Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin: