PDA

View Full Version : Simple Little Mountain Town (IC)

appending_doom
2011-05-15, 06:59 PM
Roderton is a reasonably peaceful place - a town set about two days' journey from the nearest settlement. No more than five hundred people dwell in the town's environs, and less than a hundred of them live within what one would consider the center of the town.

The foothills of the mountains nearby support a mining industry that allows the town to thrive. The Laughing Hat is one of two taverns that support the people, and it has been busy for the past month.

Rumors of terrifying visions near the graveyard, the historical home of the dead of Roderton, have kept the townies at the bars and those who live in the outskirts at home. It was assumed, however, that the sheriff would deal with the problems, likely kids.

That, however, didn't stop the rumors, which ran the gamut from being vandals to being the harbringer to the end of the world.

Beyond the town, rumors took on more specific forms. A demonic manifestation, a dark cult, an unearthed tomb filled with treasure.

What, exactly, has gone on, is not yet clear. But the rumors have done the work of drawing what can hopefully help bring an end to this nightmare.

EagleX16
2011-05-15, 07:46 PM
Rumors of the undead brought a lonely ranger to town. Life had brought him to places like this before. It was his job to follow them, to track the undead and the rumors of the lich who killed his mentor, until his dying day. Telion was ready to do anything to stop them.

leafman
2011-05-15, 08:25 PM
A shadow stalked the graves, whispering curses at every rustle and creak, hoping to catch sight of the thing that was really haunting this graveyard.

Steelheart
2011-05-16, 10:53 AM
Eloryn hasn't even heard the rumors yet. She literally just arrived in town, stabled her horse and headed to the inn...

Lord Loss
2011-05-16, 04:01 PM
Ergen Goldpint was sitting at his favorite table of the Laughing Hat inn, sharing a meal with his mother when a youthful villager ran in screaming. “Demons!” he shrieked. “Demons in the graveyard!”. Laughter broke out amongst the customers, some of which began to mock the boy. The dwarf put down his mug of ale, wiped his lips with a napkin, extracting a silver piece from his coinpurse. He left the coin on the table, so that his mother could pay for her meal.

‘I’ll go see the graveyard for myself. I’ve heard some nasty rumors about it. You just wait for me to return, son. And take this silver piece, buy yourself something to eat’
Without waiting for an answer, the dwarf pushed the door open and left the building, making his way towards the graveyard, taking a swig from a bottle of fine dwarves ale every few steps.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-16, 05:24 PM
"Hold, dwarf."

The words were curt and abrupt; a raindrop in the ocean, noticeable only in the resulting ripple. Pale fingers had caught the door as it swung back into place, and a single figure followed through to step into the hushed, darkness riddled streets of Roderton. In the ember red sky above, where the sun crept slowly past the horizon, the clouds cast themselves in shadow, as if burned by the sky itself.

Below, standing upon the cobblestone which so easily caught the shadows in their crannies and edges, a somewhat diminutive child of a boy gazed at Ergen's back. Red hair flared over his face like wisps and tails of flames, framed by an ashen hood like a picture in an iron frame. The boy waited quietly for Ergen, and approached as he spoke, keeping his hood up and his spear to his side.

"I was in the tavern just now. You've heard of the graveyard, have you?" he asks, his voice soft as he eyes the dwarf with mild expectation. "I've taken an interest in it myself... But I'm not local. What can you tell me of it?"

He walks onwards, mildly hoping to follow the man to their destination.

Lord Loss
2011-05-16, 08:23 PM
“Why hello there!” exclaims the dwarf, slurring his words drunkenly. “The graveyard’s… the graveyard is like a bottle of elven wine. Everyone knows there’s something wrong with it, they just can’t pinpoint exactly what the problem is. Round town, you’ll get a few people that run screamin from the graveyard, goin on about something or other. I’ve heard every story in the book. Necromancers and ghouls, underground dragons, demons, kobolds, mind-devouring slugs from the Far Realm… you name it, I’ve heard it. Nowadays, everyone just blames youngsters’n hooligans, but… well, I’m not so sure.”

The dwarf pauses, lost in thought, before beaming again, swinging his bottle around wildly as he speaks.

“So that’s it! Anyway, I’m Ergen. Ergen Goldpint, and it’s a pleasure to meet you, good sir. Ale?”

Steelheart
2011-05-17, 08:19 AM
as Eloryn reaches the inn, she notices the folk standing outside. Seemingly eager to meet a couple of apparent adventurers, she jogs up to them, her armor and weapons creaking and jingling with each footfall. She brushes back a strand of golden blonde hair that fell from her ponytail as she approaches. She raises a hand in greeting, and offers a charming beam of a smile. "Hi there. I umm.. Well, I just arrived in town, sirs. Is this the inn?"

She glances past those gathered, and notices the sign on the building: The Laughing Hat.

"Oh, it looks like it's a hat shop... My, my, it's a bit noisy in there for a hat shop isn't it?"

After looking confused for a few moments, she shakes her head lightly and shrugs, looking back to the others. "Anyway, you look like you're headed for some adventure. Would you mind if I tag along? I'm good with a sword, and the armor isn't just decoration. Besides, I need some friends now that I've left home."

She smiles with an inner pride, and places her hands on her hips, assuming a rather coy pose.

Lord Loss
2011-05-17, 04:40 PM
The dwarf spins on his heels, gazing in the direction of the newcomer.

"Oh, it looks like it's a hat shop... My, my, it's a bit noisy in there for a hat shop isn't it?"

The dwarf laughs, before realizing that the woman wasn't joking. Gulping, he explains:

"It's... it's not a hat shop, lass. That be the best tavern in the region, filled with smilin faces from dusk til dawn. You're welcome to follow me, milday, as long as you can handle yourself in a fight"

Steelheart
2011-05-17, 11:15 PM
Eloryn giggles demurely. "Oh don't worry, I can handle myself just fine, you'll see. Shall we go then?"

HappyBlanket
2011-05-18, 12:08 AM
"Alex Eleutherios. Hmph." Alex says noncommittally, remorsefully declining the ale with the flat of his palm; he grudgingly decided this wasn't the time for it, and let the bottle fall to it's owner's hip. That aside, the information wasn't much to the boy's liking; rumors from beyond the town were much the same, speaking of all manners of fiend and beast with little care for precision. He related this to the dwarf with dripping disappointment, an aggravated sigh accompanying the possibility of simple vandals.

His head of red shifted beneath the ashen hood, and his gaze drifted (perhaps a bit too lastingly) to the approaching Eloryn. Less spirited than Ergen, he kept himself blank as she spoke, making a point of keeping his eyes away. Tugging his hood down, he glanced to the darkening crimson sky above with impatience.

"Enough. It's getting dark." he says aloud. Tugging the fore of his hood with a disparaging glance to the giggling girl, he mentally disdained her with immediacy. Women.

"Hmph. Do what you'd like. Just don't get in our way." he said rudely, brushing past her before addressing the group. "We should get going."

EagleX16
2011-05-18, 04:30 PM
Telion eyes the small group that had formed. A boy, a woman, and a dwarf. Odd trio.

"I wouldn't go into that graveyard unprepared. The dead do not rest easy here."

Steelheart
2011-05-18, 06:32 PM
Eloryn frowns, turning to the newcomer. "A graveyard? Who died?" She asks in a somber tone. "And what do you mean the dead don't rest easy here? Is it hard to bury them, or are they not all the way dead?"

EagleX16
2011-05-18, 07:08 PM
"No. The dead walk. They are unliving. Some unholy power binds them to this world. And tonight, I fear, they come to this place. You would do well to take utmost precaution, madam. I am only warning you to make sure you know the dangers of this place."

Steelheart
2011-05-18, 07:35 PM
Eloryn ponders this for a moment...
"I see. Well, I'll be sure to stay on guard then."

HappyBlanket
2011-05-19, 12:16 AM
"The unliving." repeated Alex, his eyes glancing to the man's swords, then to he himself. Ergen had mentioned the undead as well, and Alex himself recalled mention of necromancy. "And you'd know something of the undead?"

appending_doom
2011-05-19, 04:55 AM
--Starwipe!--

The graveyard is intricately built, according to custom, facing north and centered around a hexagonal tomb on the northmost edge. The elders have been speaking of expanding the cemetery, as the graves of old and new now completely fill the space. They are spaced regularly, with the small crypts resting at the north.

The heavy gates, plated in silver, rest open, a worrying sign.

A quiet shack sits next to the graveyard; the keeper's home, it is usually active this time of night, as he usually patrols to keep the cemetery safe.

@leafman

If you desire, make a Hide/Move Silently

Everyone else

spot and listen

HappyBlanket
2011-05-19, 05:33 AM
Keeping with his question to Telion, Alex stands just within the cemetery's gate, peering over the tombs before resting his eyes on the shack.

"Someone opened the gate." he comments to himself, briefly wondering if the keeper would permit a group of armed strangers (one drunk, no less) to scour the graves at night. He was rather certain that the answer was no.

Quick post before school :3

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
...And screw Starwipe! Cross Dissolve or bust!

Lord Loss
2011-05-19, 06:10 AM
"Indeed" agrees the dwarf, taking a cautious step forth. A chilling, ominous wind lashes at him and he stops in his tracks. Looking around in trepidation, he steps forth into the sinister burial grounds, quaking in his hand-crafted boots.

"This reminds me" he mumbles nervously "of a legend many would tell me in my youth. There were many variations, and I can't help but feel that many details were eluding me, but the tales spoke of ancient magicks lying amongst the dead and of great and terrible powers too powerful to be grasped by mortal hand, yet nevertheless waiting to be claimed."

Checks

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
(Nat 20 on the spot check)

EagleX16
2011-05-19, 07:04 AM
Telion creeps quietly into the graveyard. He has never been here before, but somehow he feels comfortable with his situation. This was were he was supposed to be: fighting the evil creations that had taken so much from him.
"Know of the undead? I have been hunting them my entire life. I know the ins and outs of most undead creatures. Do not question me." Telion says it firmly but kindly.

[roll0] for spot'
[roll1] for listen
and I'm trying a move silently so [roll2]

wow. even with the bonuses against favored enemy those are failtastic rolls

Steelheart
2011-05-19, 10:20 AM
Eloryn swallows hard and steps up to the gate. She peers into the graveyard warily as she draws her sword. She speaks, barely above a whisper, "I've heard stories of these undead things, and my family warned me of the dangers outside the farm, but.. Well I guess I'll just follow you guys."

Checks

spot:
[roll0]

listen
[roll1]

leafman
2011-05-19, 04:50 PM
Checks:

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Bluff: [roll2]

Jumping out from behind a grave stone ahead of the party, Squarky draws his dagger, brandishing it about. "Halt you foul zombies! Or I'll smite you with my holy dagger of Pelor!"

appending_doom
2011-05-19, 05:53 PM
@LordLoss

You hear the faint shuffling of feet just before the small creature bursts from behind a gravestone.

The rest of you are caught completely by surprise.

Lord Loss
2011-05-19, 06:58 PM
Appending_Doom

Initiative [roll0]

What does Ergen see/what does the creature look like?

Assuming I win initiative: I draw my Longsword use fascinate (Bardic Music)

Noticing a tiny being before him, Ergen breaks into song, yelping the most vile and profane tavern song he knows at the top of his lungs, attempting to distract the creature. As he does so, he extracts his father's longsword, a family heirloom, from it's sheath and prepares himself for the creature's assault.

Steelheart
2011-05-20, 10:09 AM
Eloryn screams at the sight of the halfling-from-nowhere, and upon hearing that he sees zombies, she begins to look around frantically. "Zombies? Where?!" She says, brandishing her sword in all directions as she searches for the undead threat.

EagleX16
2011-05-20, 11:41 AM
Telion whips in the direction of the shouting, both blades already out of their sheaths. He lunges only to stop himself at the last minute, blade a mere foot from the halfling's face. "Not a zombie, Telion. Just a halfling," he mutters under his breath. He hopes there are no actual threats around him, because he is completely unaware of his surroundings at the current moment. He stops to get his bearings.

leafman
2011-05-20, 07:46 PM
"Well, you're not zombies. Just a dwarf in his natural state, the cowardly knight and her squire, and uh what are you supposed to be, mister pointy blades?" Squarky casually flips his blade and tucks it back into its sheath.

EagleX16
2011-05-20, 09:55 PM
"Me? I've been many things. But most prominent is my line of work: a ranger." Telion goes to put away his swords. "You might want to be careful, good sir. The undead do not rest easy here."

leafman
2011-05-20, 10:06 PM
They never do, do they? *sigh* What are you jumpy lot doin' in here anyway?"

HappyBlanket
2011-05-21, 04:37 AM
"We - and by which I mean this sorry bunch" begins Alex, gesturing discriminatingly to Eloryn in particular. "Have come to investigate the rumors surrounding the graveyard." he finishes, keeping an eye out for the grave keeper.

"Now be hushed." he says, stepping deeper into the graveyard. "I am not particularly keen on the keeper catching us, so if you bear the slightest hint of intelligence you'll be utterly and completely silen-"

Alex stops midway, and his footsteps slow to a total halt as he reviews what the halfling had said. He remained utterly silent for the briefest of periods before turning to Squarky with the loudest of shouts.

"...E-Excuse me?!"

Alex very visibly recoils at the halfling's assessment, his jaw agape in incredulity and his hand flung in Eloryn's direction with apparently great offense. His finger, struck rather abruptly between the girl's eyes to specify, trembled in deeply invigorated rage as his lips stuttered foolishly in their struggle to form a coherent response from the typhoon of anger and embarrassment that thrashed within Alex's head. And when those lips finally succeeded, the boy managed a sputtering yell;

"S-Squire!? I am squire to none you dirt ridden idiot! Much less to a woman, of all people!" he shouts, his voice crashing loudly across the shadow cast graveyard.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
And what the hell: Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

appending_doom
2011-05-21, 04:59 AM
In response to Alex's shout, a drawn-out moan cuts through the night, a chilling, pained noise.

@Telion

You recognize the noise from long exposure - it's a zombie.

Lord Loss
2011-05-21, 08:42 AM
The dwarf conceals a chuckle with an uncovincing mockery of a cough, flashing the halfling a grin when he's reasonably sure the "squire" isn't looking his way.

"M'name's Ergen" he says, with a pause "Ergen Goldpint. I've lived in Roderton my whole life and it seems to me that there's somethin out of place in this graveyard. Somethin dark. Hence this "sorry bunch", as my companion puts it" as he speaks, he shoots Alex a glare, and continues "You're free to join us"

As he finsihes his sentence, he casually whispers something inaudible to the halfling.

Leafman
"Although I strongly suggest you steer clear of the tall fellow. He's a bit of a drama queen"

EagleX16
2011-05-21, 08:54 AM
"They are coming. The undead are with us this night. Ready your weapons. That was no normal animal call. That was the decaying corpse of the freshly dead coming back to exact revenge upon the world in the name of its master. A zombie is here, and where there is one, usually there are many. Ready yourselves!" With that, Telion draws both blades and begins to look around, trying to find where the noise came from.

rolling for spot [roll0]

Steelheart
2011-05-21, 09:15 AM
Eloryn stands oblivious to the comments about the sorry bunch and continues to stand ready, her eyes scanning the darkness for signs of movement beyond the small band of adventurers.

spot check

[roll0]

Lord Loss
2011-05-21, 09:28 AM
Ergen pulls his longsword from it's sheath and begins to sing The Ballad of Ogden, a dwarven ballad about a great hero who slew a great underground Wurm with his bare hands, attempting to inspire courage in the hearts of his companions.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-21, 11:06 AM
Alex jolts in fright at Telion's warning, mentally berating himself for the outburst before steadying himself enough to think clearly. Reaching into his backpack, he rests his spear against his side as he retrieves a small lantern from his bag's depths, holding it up to the group before muttering something about the wisdom of lighting such things in advance.

"Here... Anyone have something to light this?"

My spot checks you guys. Good stuff.

EagleX16
2011-05-21, 11:11 AM
Turning to the boy quickly, Telion rummages through his backpack for his flint and steel. As fast as possible he lights the lantern, hoping to spot the undead in the twilight.

Lord Loss
2011-05-21, 11:15 AM
Forogt my

Spot Check

[roll0]

leafman
2011-05-21, 12:30 PM
"Hey, put out that lamp, it's only going to make it harder to see." Squarky says in a harsh whisper, peering about and listening as hard as he can.

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]
check results might be a bit off, mythweavers is down and didn't make a physical copy of my sheet :smallredface:

appending_doom
2011-05-22, 05:28 AM
The light briefly illuminates the circle around the entrance; the humans and halfling can see about four rows of graves, but little beyond that. The dwarf can see the remaining edge of the graveyard, although lines of graves block most of his sight.

@leaf, @eagle

Beyond the edge of the light, you think you espy movement from further into the graveyard.

@leaf

The creature seems to be making no effort to remain stealthy, as it lumbers closer. You think it comes from straight ahead - a zombie certainly isn't bright enough to navigate even a simple path among the graves.

leafman
2011-05-22, 11:47 AM
"It's coming from over there," motioning to where he hears the sounds emanating from. "Watch your backs it might be a trick." Squarky readies his crossbow and moves to put Telion between himself and the zombie(s).

HappyBlanket
2011-05-22, 06:44 PM
Alex's fingers begin to tremble at the halfling's command; they clumsily searched the dim gray lantern for it's ironclad covering, fumbling as they pried it off to expose the crimson flame within. A mumbled series of nervous apologies slipped through his lips, who were ever so very familiar with them.

He blew onto the fire, extinguishing it as he cursed himself. He was never good with criticism, never mind how mild.

Dropping it, he retrieved his spear and grasped it tightly, silently steadying himself.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-24, 02:20 AM
Biting his lip, Alex steps forward into the darkness, holding his spear aloft by his side with stone faced trepidation.

Move: Diagonal to K20, then to K15
Standard: Ready Action
Trigger: Hostile unit enters threatened square.
Action: Attack hostile unit.

Spot: [roll0] As a free action to see something reactively, but not to spot something previously missed.
Listen: [roll1] The same.

EagleX16
2011-05-24, 10:23 AM
Telion carefully moves deeper into the graveyard, preparing himself to defend his own life and the lives of the others behind him.

Spot for anything I missed/newcomers [roll0] and same for listen [roll1]. Other than that, I'm doing the same as Alex, moving to K-14 and making a ready action to attack any enemy I come across.

Steelheart
2011-05-25, 09:17 AM
Eloryn stays close behind Telion for a few moments, before creeping up beside him, scanning ahead toward the Heartstone. Her sword and body ready, she waits for signs of a threat.

spot check for scanning while moving,

[roll0]

Listen as well

[roll1]

moving to L14, and holding there, waiting for the others, or some zombie action to commence.

leafman
2011-05-25, 10:17 AM
Not wanting to be left behind, Squarky makes his way up the path, stopping behind Telion and turning to watch their backs.

Moving to K15 w/double move action

The squares on the grid are 5 foot squares right?

Lord Loss
2011-05-25, 05:00 PM
Spot Check [roll0]

Listen Check [roll1]

Move to L16 and readies an action to use Inspire Courage should anyone not part of the party show up.

Ergen runs after his newfound allies, his short dwarven legs not taking him half as far as he would like to go. He cleares his throat, mutters something about tall folk and readies himself to sing.

appending_doom
2011-05-26, 04:41 PM
As the people draw closer, the moan erupts into a pained climax, and, wavering at the end of the lit area, a shambling humanoid draws closer to the group. A dull, heavy object drags behind it.

@Lordloss

You recognize the figure - it's the sheriff - or what's left of him

HappyBlanket
2011-05-26, 05:45 PM
"I see the rumors don't disappoint." Alex mutters, peering over Telion's shoulder cautiously before shuffling around the ranger, keeping himself a safe distance away from the vile creation.

Move: To I12
Standard: Ready Action
Trigger: Hostile unit enters threatened square.
Action: Attack hostile unit.

leafman
2011-05-26, 06:29 PM
Squarky looses his bolt at the the zombie and loads another.

attack: [roll0]
crit confirm [roll1]

damage: [roll2]

zombie gets a +4 to AC unless Telion moves out of my line of sight.

EagleX16
2011-05-26, 06:47 PM
With a roar Telion sights his hated enemy and charges, both blades swinging.

Move Action to the Zombie Attack rolls with both swords
Longsword and damage[roll1] and crit check if neccessary[roll2]
shortsword[roll3] damage[d6+4 and crit check if it applies[roll4]

Steelheart
2011-05-27, 09:01 AM
Eloryn charges right after Telion, going around the other side of the graves to avoid getting in anyone's way, making a furious attack when she arrives at the side of her foe.

Move from L14 to M14, then up to M9, and diagonally to L8-

crit check: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] (add additional .5 damage)

and a spot check for what the dull, heavy thing dragging behind the zombie is

[roll3]

appending_doom
2011-05-30, 06:03 AM
Alex moves swiftly to flank the monster, encountering no difficulties on the way, and ready to strike at any foe that appears.

Telion sprints forward, heedless of danger, up until the point that a small skeletal creature snaps its head out from behind a tombstone, trying to bite his leg off.

A four-legged skeleton attacks from J10.

[roll0]
Confirm [roll1]

[roll2]

A hit, I think

Ergen runs forward, still hanging back, his bardic song still sustaining its courageous boost for the adventurers.

Squarky's bolt goes wide in his attempt to avoid his new colleague.

The zombie growls and swings its weapon, a heavy club, at the creature who had just ineffectively attacked it.

[roll3]
Confirm [roll4]

[roll5]

Looks like a miss\

As Eloryn passes the tombstone next to the one that had concealed Telion's attacker, another of the small creatures lunges out, snapping at her leg tendons.

[roll6]
Confirm [roll7]

[roll8]

Looks like a hit

(Assuming the skeleton doesn't kill Eloryn)

Eloryn, inspired by the song coursing through the air, just manages to strike the zombie, cutting through its flesh with ease.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-30, 06:46 AM
"Looks like someone has friends..." Alex remarks bitterly, dashing forwards to the shambling corpse with his spear drawn. He thrusts the weapon forwards with vigor, running it into the creature's rotting flesh with cold precision.

Move: To I8 (...That skeleton thing (canine?) isn't considered armed, right?)
Standard: Attack K8
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Inspire Courage, let's go!
edit: Forgot to add the flanking bonus from Eloryn :3 So +2 to Attack.

leafman
2011-05-30, 10:43 AM
"Figures" Squarky takes off at a run through the grave yard to get a better angle on the zombie.

Run to M16, then up to M6 and over to K6. Provokes AoO from skeleton in L10

EagleX16
2011-05-30, 05:38 PM
"Dammit!" Telion yells in pain as he is bitten by a zombie. He swings down at the creature.

rolling for both weapons
longsword[roll0], confirm[roll1], damage[roll2]
shortsword[roll3], confirm[roll4], damage[roll5]

Steelheart
2011-05-30, 06:34 PM
Having been grazed by the teeth of the skeletal dog, Eloryn swears under her breath but keeps charging toward the zombie. After slicing through it's flesh with ease, she attempts another strike, with fury.

crit confirm: [roll1]

damage: [roll]2d6+4[roll]

appending_doom
2011-05-31, 06:31 PM
One of the skeletons shifts to stand on Telion's other side and flails wildly at him with fang and claw.

bite [roll0]
crit [roll1]
[roll2]

claw [roll3]
crit [roll4]
[roll5]

claw [roll6]
crit [roll7]
[roll8]

The other shifts back to prevent Ergen from getting too close to the others, attacking him.

bite [roll9]
crit [roll10]
[roll11]

claw [roll12]
crit [roll13]
[roll14]

claw [roll15]
crit [roll16]
[roll17]

Ergen has taken 3 damage. 6/9 hp remaining.

Alex's spear punctures the zombie, doing little damage to the deadened flesh.

The longsword cuts through the zombie, but the puncture of the short sword does no apparent damage. It (he?) is looking a little the worse for wear.

Ergen tries to cut the creature in half with a longsword.

[roll18]
[roll19]

It does no apparent damage.

As the skeleton had moved, Squarky avoids any attack.

You are at M10; you can only move 40 feet if you double-move.

The zombie looks back and forth between Telion and Eloryn before slamming its club at Eloryn's head.

[roll20]
crit [roll21]
[roll22]

I think that's a hit.

Eloryn's retort misses the zombie widely. It groans threateningly.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-31, 08:19 PM
Alex tugs back on his spear, grimacing to himself as it slips ineffectually from the bloodless gouge. With his lips bit in disappointment, he strikes once more with the iron tip; it swings backwards and arcs over his head before launching forwards once more, again attempting to run the zombie through. He chastised himself briefly for not having better prepared for this, and hastily proceeded to make a quick mental list of all the ways he had failed in the last 18 seconds, starting with the way he walked.

Spotting the skeletons approach Ergen, he leaves the shambling corpse to fall back to the dwarf's position, the long spear in his hands held in anticipation as he leaps on to the grave... Unfortunately, he distracts himself with thoughts of how absolutely terrible his posture must be, and slips in the middle of his jump.

Goddamn Damage Reduction. Looks like someone needs to go shopping...
Standard: Attack K8
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
Move: To I11, then Hop Up onto the grave at J11.
Jump DC10: [roll4] :smallannoyed:

Am I doing the math for attacking correctly? +3 as per my STR mod, then +2 from flanking with Eloryn, and +1 from Ergen's Inspire Courage?

leafman
2011-05-31, 10:46 PM
Squarky stops his brisk jog :smalltongue:, and looks for some stones to throw at the skeletons and hurls any he finds at the nearest skeleton.

Search: [roll0]
if he finds some,
attack: [roll1] (-4 improv, +1 racial to thrown, +3 dex)

appending_doom
2011-06-01, 04:51 AM
Don't see any problems with the latest posts.

And it's a good idea, to post crit threats in the original post, but I feel I ought to mention that undead are, in fact, immune to critical hits, it being one of their "things".

Steelheart
2011-06-02, 11:21 PM
Eloryn sees the club coming and rolls with the blow, just in time, though still taking a hefty knock on the noggin. She shakes it off and brings her sword high overhead, aiming to slam it down on the zombie's head.

crit conf: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]

appending_doom
2011-06-03, 05:20 AM
The skeletons, seeing no problems with their current positions, lash out at the creatures closest to them.

Sk1 versus Telion
bite [roll0]
crit [roll1]
[roll2]

claw [roll3]
crit [roll4]
[roll5]

claw [roll6]
crit [roll7]
[roll8]

Sk2 versus Ergen
bite [roll9]
crit [roll10]
[roll11]

claw [roll12]
crit [roll13]
[roll14]

claw [roll15]
crit [roll16]
[roll17]

Alex's blow tears the zombie to pieces, sending it collapsing to the ground in an unmoving heap.

Telion, finding the zombie unavailable, whirls around to attack the skeleton behind him, making a quick slash and furious jab at the creatures.

[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]

Ergen takes a careful swing at the nearest skeleton, trying to keep the sword between him and it.

Combat Expertise for +2
[roll22]
[roll23]

+2 AC

Squarky finds one stone and hits the skeleton squarely in the head, causing a tiny fracture. But the search and throw took time, and he's pinned down.

@Eloryn

You can change your options; as a suggestion, stepping south (an effective 10-ft move, due to the grave) would allow you and Alex to flank a skeleton, and still allow an attack.

Health update!

Ergen takes another 2 damage; 4/9

Steelheart
2011-06-03, 05:46 AM
You can change your options; as a suggestion, stepping south (an effective 10-ft move, due to the grave) would allow you and Alex to flank a skeleton, and still allow an attack.

Works for me!

Eloryn, upon seeing the zombie done in by Alex, whirls and charges down past Squarky and flanks the same skeleton that Alex and Ergen are now adjacent to. She brings her sword up again and prepares to deal the skeleton a deadly blow from overhead. (to L11, attacking instead, "sk2" and using same rolls cuz yeah, they were pretty good, adding in of course, the +2 from flanking. :p)

appending_doom
2011-06-03, 06:04 AM
While hardly the most ideal weapon to attack a skeleton with, Eloryn's blade does crack a few of the thing's ribs.

leafman
2011-06-03, 01:10 PM
Thinking quickly, Squarky pulls the crowbar from his pack while moving into striking distance of the skeleton he just hit and takes a swing at it.

A tool for everything :smallbiggrin:
Attack [roll0] (-4 for improv)
Damage: [roll1] (small heavy mace) or [roll2] (small light mace)

HappyBlanket
2011-06-03, 02:46 PM
Alex steps over the grave as he approaches Ergen, running the iron point of his spear upon the undead without breaking stride.

"Alright, enough of that." he mutters to himself in a low whisper, the muscles in his legs tightening and tensing below him. They kick off against the cold stone, and the boy propels himself past the biting skeleton with swift, dancing steps... Or at least, a poor mockery of dancing steps, as Alex's steps fall close to something resembling a clumsy trip of sorts. His legs are far too stiff for such a maneuver, much less an actual dance.

"Behind me, Ergen." he says commandingly, gesturing behind him with a jerk of his elbow.
Standard: Attack Sk1 at K10
Move: To K13, Tumbling to avoid AoO.
Tumble DC15: [roll2] Nat 1. Welp, looks like someone's getting an AoO bite to the ankle.

Flanking with Telion right now, since I don't threaten Sk2 with my Reach weapon, and therefore can't attack it :P Sorry!

Steelheart
2011-06-06, 06:36 PM
Confounded by the lack of effect her sword had on the skeleton, she goes to bring her blade down on it once more.

crit conf. [roll1]

appending_doom
2011-06-08, 06:05 PM
The skeletons turn on Eloryn and Twlion, favoring the most immediate threats.

SK2 vs Eloryn
[roll0]
crit [roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
crit [roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
crit [roll7]
[roll8]
+4 AC, as you have cover

Eloryn, 2 points from the natural 20

SK1 vs Telion
[roll9]
crit [roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
crit [roll13]
[roll14]

[roll15]
crit [roll16]
[roll17]

Telion falls back, bleeding from multiple scratches as the skeleton advances menacingly.

He's at 2/14. Critical hit.

Alex chips his target's shoulder, making it walk a little less easily.

As Alex moves, the skeletons each take a bite at his legs.

SK1 [roll18]
crit [roll19]
[roll20]

SK2 [roll21]
crit [roll22]
[roll23]

Telion takes another pair of strikes at the creature between him and Alex.

Attacking Sk1
[roll24]
[roll25]

[roll26]
[roll27]

The creature is all but falling apart from the repeated blows.

Ergen stabs the nearest skeleton before retreating behind Alex.

[roll28]
[roll29]

Squarky's blow glances off of the skeleton, but puts a ding in its bones. It might not be a well-thought-out attack, but at least it hurt it.

Eloryn misses the creature, perhaps due to it being half her size and twice as quick.

Steelheart
2011-06-08, 06:43 PM
After wincing from the hit, and oblivious to how badly Telion is injured, Eloryn yells and sweeps her sword from right to left, aiming at the skeleton (sk2)

crit conf: [roll1]

leafman
2011-06-08, 11:03 PM
Seeing Telion looking as if he is about to keel over, Squarky takes another swing with his crowbar at the skeleton.

Attacking Sk1 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

HappyBlanket
2011-06-09, 10:52 AM
Alex jabs again at the skeleton, joining the others in finishing off the remaining beasts.

Standard: Attack Sk2

Times like this make me wish I had enough BAB to use Power Attack :P

appending_doom
2011-06-12, 06:43 AM
The skeletons flail at Eloryn and Squarky with reckless abandon.

SK1 vs Squarky
[roll0]
crit [roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
Crit [roll]1d20-3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
Crit [roll]1d20-3]
[roll6]

1 point of damage total

Sk2 vs Eloryn
[roll7]
crit [roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
Crit [roll]1d20-3]
[roll11]

[roll12]
Crit [roll]1d20-3]
[roll13]

Still cover, so 1 point from that natural 20

Alex's jab misses his target.

Telion grits his teeth and stabs at the skeletons at great personal risk.

[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]

Ergen, safely out of range, just continues singing.

Squarky's wild swing cuts through his own target.

Eloryn's sword manages to shatter a few bones with the sheer force of the blow.

The skeletons are still standing; one of them just barely holding itself together (Sk1), and the other marginally better off.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-12, 02:20 PM
"Finish them off!" Alex yells, stepping away from Ergen to better assist in the fight.

Move: To J13, then to J12, avoiding AoOs.
Standard: Attack Sk2, flanking with Eloryn again.

leafman
2011-06-12, 03:37 PM
Grimacing from the skeletons blow, Squarky takes what he hopes will be the final swing at the skeleton.

Attack sk1 with the crowbar [roll0] (+1 from Ergen's song)
Damage [roll1] (+1 from Egren's song)
I haven't been adding the bard song bonus, figure I better start.

Steelheart
2011-06-12, 05:23 PM
Eloryn also steps in to take what she hopes is a final strike against the fiend.

crit conf. [roll1]

((Edit: forgot spoiler tags :smalltongue:))

appending_doom
2011-06-12, 07:04 PM
Telion snaps forward, skewering the nearest skeleton with both of his swords, breaking it into several more inanimate pieces.

At the same time, Alex breaks the other into nothing, leaving the graveyard empty and, for a moment, silent.

@all

150 XP.

+10 XP to leafman for creative bludgeoning solutions.

leafman
2011-06-12, 07:25 PM
"Shoo! That was crazy!" Squarky says emphatically. He stows his crowbar in his pack and walks over to the corpse of the sheriff. "Poor guy, never had a chance." Squarky kneels beside it and looks over the body.

Search [roll0]

Steelheart
2011-06-13, 07:41 AM
As the undead fall, Eloryn looks around warily. "Yes, that was crazy. What's going on? How come those things were even here and walking around? I mean, they're supposed to be dead and buried.."

She walks the surrounding area, looking for anything else out of the ordinary, including checking for the empty graves of the beasts they just fought. "I wonder if they left anything behind where they rested."

Spot: [roll1]

HappyBlanket
2011-06-13, 11:53 AM
"It's clearly Necromancy." answers Alex curtly, stepping over to the cracked remnants of the skeletal canines. He touches a knee upon the soil and reaches a few fingers into the creature's exposed skull, feeling the edges of the hollowed eye sockets before rising back to his feet.

He raises his findings to the dim light, revealing a small, fragile gem of darkest black, which he examines briefly. When finally satisfied, he catches it in his palm and crushes it between his fingers.

"The remnants of Black Onyx, used in such magics." he explains, letting the dust fall to the ground before scanning over the graves once more.

"We got what we came for. The rumors are true. We should come back in the morning to better examine this place."

He retrieves his dropped lantern, sweeping of a few flecks of soil before returning it to his bag.

Assuming that Alex would know about the black gems and their location, since he's studying magic. But I can edit if that's too much :P

appending_doom
2011-06-13, 04:40 PM
There is nothing of interest in the skeletons' graves - the soil, however, looks newly-turned, as if the corpses were buried there recently.

The search of the sheriffs' person locates the club, one that balances well when lifted, five silver pieces, and a cloth handkerchief.

leafman
2011-06-15, 10:22 PM
Squarky wraps the coins in the handkerchief and pockets them. "Anybody want this club?" Squarky asks, moving away from the body.

Steelheart
2011-06-16, 01:05 PM
Eloryn barely hears Squarky as her attention is directed almost entirely toward anxiously peering about the area. "Not me, my sword is just fine, thanks."

HappyBlanket
2011-06-16, 02:22 PM
Alex shakes his head, declining the club. He secures the somewhat ragged spear against his back with a sash, which he fastens tightly against his chest. "I suppose it would be in our best interests to procure more appropriate arms at the nearest opportunity" he notes, adjusting the cloth knot meticulously as he reflected on the battle. His spear was quite ill suited to fighting these creatures, and he would not permit himself another display of foolishness.

Steelheart
2011-06-16, 02:54 PM
Eloryn looks confused. "What do you mean more appropriate arms? I like my sword..."

appending_doom
2011-06-17, 10:32 PM
A strange feeling descends on the group as they return to the town; not more than an hour could have passed since they left, and now they're bloodied and have delved into the depths of a vile crime befouling the graveyard. Caution had kept them from exploring too deeply, but it is clear that something lurks beneath, a secret yet unknown as little as 30 minutes before.

@all

Pick a destination, any destination

HappyBlanket
2011-06-19, 04:46 PM
"Hmph." Alex scoffs, rudely casting a disapproving look at Eloryn's question. "Well, of course a woman wouldn't understand." he continued, his tongue emphasising the word disdainfully. As he spoke, he raised thin fingers to forcefully clutch the fabric of his hood, dragging it over his brow as his eyes worked quickly and illusively. His chest. Shoulders. Legs... His fingers tugged and shifted his clothes meticulously, ironing out imaginary imperfections with quiet nervousness.

He shrugged off the act, and continued; "As if I care about your sword." he said, making his way out into the town's cobblestone road. "It didn't fair very well against the skeletons, and it won't when we face more like them. If you so intend to make a fool of yourself again, so be it, but don't expect me to follow suit."

:smallwink:?

Steelheart
2011-06-19, 08:47 PM
Eloryn raises an eyebrow, still obviously lost. "What are you going on about? What's wrong with my sword? And what's wrong with you? You seem out of sorts."

leafman
2011-06-19, 08:54 PM
Squarky elbows Ergen, "If you ask me, I'd say the skinny one's got a thing for the chick."

"So where are we headed? Most shops are probably closed at night, and I ain't paying if I have to go to the trouble of breaking in."

Lord Loss
2011-06-21, 03:45 PM
"Aye, lad. But don't let him hear you say it. Humans tend to get real emotional and poetic bout their feelins."

Ergen shakes his head and blinks a few times. "I think that battle jus sobered me up. I may head to the Laughing Hat, anyone who comes along is welcome to join me! I think I'll introduce you all to my mum. She'd like you.

The dwarf glaces up, at Alex.

... most of you, anyway.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-21, 06:50 PM
"Wrong? W-What? What's wrong with me?" Alex answered, repeating yet another bout of clumsy self scrutiny; he examined himself for flaws with periodic diligence, especially when someone suggested he might actually need to. Or when he suspected someone had noticed. Couldn't have that, after all. It would be absolutely mortifying.

"We're not breaking in." snapped Alex, dismissing the idea with instinctive haste. Robbery was a crime, afterall; a blatant infringement of law. And he was an upstanding citizen, and a soldier. He was not a thief. He wasn't some rogue. And sure, some people might consider robbery entertaining... But still, it was against the law. Even if it was fun and profitable... Liberating, even. But he would never... Well, surely not on a regular basis. But if it was only once... Well, that'd be fine. Yeah. Just once. It'd be a pretty liberating experience for her, and maybe later she'd - No! No, what was he thinking? Absolutely not. Alex Eleutherios was no thief. Right. Not at all.

He shook his head roughly, breaking from his thoughts before continuing to speak.

"No breaking in. We'll go to The Laughing Hat." he said, following Ergen somewhat uncomfortably.

Steelheart
2011-06-22, 08:07 AM
Eloryn shakes her head and sheathes her blade as she follows the others, speaking in a low voice, not directed at anyone in particular. "Nobody warned me that the world was full of such weird people... Hmm, maybe it's just the men." She shrugs and carries on without further word.

appending_doom
2011-06-24, 04:30 PM
The Laughing Hat is still open - there are those who will be drinking til dawn. Still, little time has passed, and it's still crowded, filled with the chattering of the townsfolk.

The conversation dies down, however, when a group of bloodied and dirty people appear at the door. A middle aged dwarven woman rushes forward through the stillness. "Ergen! What have you been getting up to?"

leafman
2011-06-27, 09:14 PM
"Maybe he can tell you in the morning m'am, he's had a rough night."
Squarky pats his dwarven aquaintance on the back and heads off to the barkeep, "One room, please."

Lord Loss
2011-06-28, 05:51 PM
"The usual, mammy. Causing trouble, annoying humans and being underappreciated for what he does. I'll tell you everything over a pint of ale, I'll go get some in back!" says Ergen before depoisiting a few silver pieces on the bar and heading into the storage chambers to find a few bottles of dwarven ale.

appending_doom
2011-06-29, 04:46 AM
"No one's going anywhere looking like that," one of the patrons, a squat human, snaps. He points at the bloodied and dirtied adventurers. "You look like you've been in a fight, and we don't like to hear about fighting. Somebody see if we can rouse the sheriff."

leafman
2011-06-29, 11:04 AM
"Heh, someone already tried that. The Sheriff's dead. Well, he was undead but we killed him again." Squarky laughs, turning to the patron.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-29, 07:27 PM
"No one's going anywhere looking like that." "L-Looking like wha-?" "You look like you've been in a fight, and we don't like to hear about fighting." "...Oh ...Yes. Right. Of course."

Alex takes a brief moment to collect himself, raising a curled hand to stifle a forced cough. He clears his throat before stepping forward with rigid steps and repressed hesitation, approaching the more than likely intoxicated man with a face made stoic.

"Step down sir." he commands the patron, clenching Squarky by the neckline; he tugged the halfling back with a quick jerk, whispering into his ear harshly: "Don't be so loose lipped."

Turning back to the patron, he addressed him once more.

"Step down." he repeated. "We're weary and exhausted. This is none of your business; come, share a drink with us." he said, calling out to the innkeep in Dwarven for ale.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
From a mechanical aspect, I guess Bluff would've been a better option >> Can't justify that though (not for lack of trying).

leafman
2011-06-29, 09:18 PM
"They have a right to know... and I coulda taken him" Squarky whispers back, twisting his head around to give Alex a wry smile.

appending_doom
2011-06-30, 05:11 AM
What dya mean undead?

HappyBlanket
2011-07-03, 06:15 AM
Alex bites his lip, returning Squarky's remark with a defeated grimace. For the regrettable lack of a chilled glass in his hand, he turns back to the patron, clearing his throat before informing him.

Alex had the tiniest problem with telling the truth. He much preferred some privacy and secrecy.

"We were at the graveyard. The sheriff had been animated as a zombie."

appending_doom
2011-07-04, 05:51 AM
"Impossible," another patron muttered. "Old Treiny'd know if there were zombies lurking about. He keeps the cemetery in top shape; wouldn't tolerate that sort of mess."

leafman
2011-07-04, 07:04 PM
Turning his head to face the new speaker, "Tell me good sir, what do you know of this, Old Treiny?"

Edit: forgot to roll diplomacy, roll in OOC

Lord Loss
2011-07-04, 09:07 PM
I'm going to use diplomacy to try and calm the villagers down and reassure them of our honesty [roll0]

"Everyone. Hold yer horses. You know me. You know me mother, Belda. My family's been nothing but honest, hard workers since as long as we've lived here. I give you my word that these strange folk are telling you the truth, no matter how outlandish their tale may seem. The sherrif did indeed come to life and attempt to kill him, and we took his life in self defense. Well, not his life, cause he's undead, but his... uh... we killed him, is what I mean to say. Again. "

Steelheart
2011-07-05, 05:42 AM
Eloryn also confirms what her party is saying. "It's true. I may not have been off my farm for long, but I know what a walking dead man looks like, and skeletons too. The flesh was hanging from the sheriff's bones and he had this shuffle going on. Not like a walk but more like a puppet with unseen strings, and he moaned a lot. It was sort of a pained noise, like it was the only sound he could muster even though his body wanted to scream and cry out in pain, but couldn't. And the fangs on the skeletons were just as sharp as any live wolf's, and they were just as fast, even while the muscle hung from their bones. The thing that gets me is how they could see us without eyes.. Just empty sockets staring at us, but you could tell they saw you. Just like you could tell they were snarling and showing teeth even though they had no lips to curl back, so their teeth just showed all the time..." She nods emphatically to further the point.

((She's not smart or callous enough to intentionally try to intimidate, but I'm rolling intimidate due to the fact that she just gave some pretty freaky descriptions that might scare the crap out of anyone hearing her. Trying to be creative and think outside the box here. :p))

Intimidate: [roll0]

appending_doom
2011-07-05, 07:07 AM
The group of customers seem to sober at the descriptions, and a low muttering seems to slosh about the room. The man whom Squarky addressed scowled and waved his hand vaguely outside.

"Treiny's the gravedigger. He should have been keeping his eye on things out there. If he'd heard about anybody desecrating graves, he'd give em a right talking to."

There's a general sense of consensus at that statement.

"He's right, Ergen," Belda says, folding her arms. "Something must be very wrong, if anyone was able to get into the graveyard to make that sort of trouble." She gives the group a once-over and shakes her head. "I think this warrants giving you all the opportunity for a bath. And I'll send for Lady Margyla; she'll be happy to fix any bruises or cuts, especially since you dealt with something that could have gotten out and hurt someone unprepared for something like it."

@Ergen

I'm not even making you roll. Marglya's the town healer; she's got some skill with magic, enough to heal broken bones, but nothing like some of the stories of servants of the gods. (ooc-an adept rather than a cleric)

Lord Loss
2011-07-07, 10:26 AM
Ergen finishes retrieves a bottle of dwarven ale (and one for his mother), inviting the others to drink with them as he originally intended. Once this is done, he heads to town, looking to purchase some holy water, amongst other things.

OOC:

Just to make sure I'm correct, we only made a silver piece each fighting the undead, right?

appending_doom
2011-07-07, 11:35 AM
Plus a masterwork club

HappyBlanket
2011-07-08, 01:17 PM
Alex exhales in quiet relief, sitting at the table to rest his feet. He crossed his arms on the wooden surface, his shoulders slumped and his head drooped in weariness. His hair lay matted beneath his hood, which seemed to hang heavily over his crimson hair. After some time he eventually spoke; "It's been a tiresome night." he said at large, attempting with some difficulty to rise from the inviting rest of the table. "I should get some rest for tomorr-"

Ergen placed a bottle on the table.

Approximately a half hour, maybe a full hour later, Alexis Eleutherios had composed a song. The word "song" is used in the most liberal of definitions. It was a good song, or so she herself believed. The lyrics showed nothing of rhyme nor reason, and the notes she never cared to remember. It confined to no law of music, and worked by no rules nor restraints. This is a beautiful song.

"This." she said, falling to her seat. "Is a beautiful song."

Her hood and the dull gray cloak had been discarded; tossed haphazardly against the wall during one of Alexis' dances, where it now slumped against the flooring. Her bright scarlet hair seemed vivid in the lamplight, though messy and ruffled, and every now and then she'd comb through it with her fingers; pulling it out of her face, tossing the bangs aside.

"S-So." she eventually managed to say between hiccups and slurred sentences. "Who are you people." she said to the others of the loosely formed party, leaning her shoulder against the nearest drunkard. The gray of her eyes peeked from beneath drooped eye lids, focusing vaguely on the group.

I'm going shopping in the morning. Also; I mistakenly described Alex's hood as white (ashen, whatever) before. I used the wrong word though >> I meant to say it was like ash; grey, dull, subdued. Like, like, what happens when you subdue a flame. Not white.

...There's a difference to me. :smallmad:

leafman
2011-07-10, 08:11 PM
Squarky heads off to his room before the drinking gets started, knowing there's a full day of work ahead.

Going shopping in the morning, buying a Small Heavy Mace, 12 gp.

Lord Loss
2011-07-10, 08:49 PM
Ergen sipped from his mug, listening to his newfound friend sing. He was smiling as he listened. Alex was completely drunk, of course, and probably wouldn't remember the song in the morning, never mind be brave enough to sing it, but it filled him with joy to see someone take a tentative step into the world of music.

"Nice work, lad. Perhaps with a little practice you'll be good enough to sing here at the Laughing Hat! Or become a bard yourself. We can never have enough of those."

The song was beautiful. Sure, the singing was more off-key than that of a befuddled ogre, and the pattern of the words lacked rhyme and reason, but the quality of music isn't measured by talent or experience. Music came from the heart. Music was about enthusiasm, emotion and belief in one-self. An audience could boo you off the stage, but who were they to tell you if what you were doing was right or wrong, fine art or waste of time. That was the singer's privelege to decide.

"S-So." "Who are you people." Hiccuped the human, shattering Ergen's train of thought.

"Mine's not much of a tale. Me pappy was exiled from the dwarven lands, never to return to the mountains. He came down here, where he met my mam Belda. They fell in love and were quickly married. I grew up in this very room, sipping ale while the adults had their backs turned and learning music from the bards and singers and tall tales and wise words from great men and fools alike. One day, me pappy died. He was stabbed dead by thugs as he left the bar. If I ever find the bastartds who killed my father, I swear, I'm going to kill them. Slowly.

Ergen face is contorted in hatred the likes of which you've never seen on the jovial dwarf. The expression on his face is apalling, contrasting his usual demeanor and scaring you a tad bit. After a few moments, he calms down, returning to his usual self as though nothing had happened.

"Enough about me. What's your story? How did you make your way to this sorry little place I call home?"

Steelheart
2011-07-11, 09:30 AM
Eloryn half-listens to the song and discussion, not really paying attention to either. Her mind lingers on home. What her family might be doing, how insane things got so soon after leaving, how everyone didn't run out of town screaming when they found out there are walking corpses hungry for death and destruction, as though it were a semi-normal happening... If this dead but not dead stuff is as normal as it appears to be.. I wonder what other things are waiting out there for me?

The thought was a sobering one, and any fatigue or tiredness she felt flew out the window. I need to relax and take my mind off of this for a while. That drink seems to make everyone relax and feel happy. Maybe I'll try some...

She looks around the room and grabs the bottle Ergen had offered to share with everyone. She abandons the thought of a mug and just chugs from the bottle. After taking quite the draw and leaving the bottle empty, she slams it down and belches, adding a demure giggle afterwards. "Oh, excuse me! That stuff sure is bubbly!" She licks a bit of foam from her upper lip and runs her middle finger across her bottom lip, wiping away a small amount of ale left there.

A few minutes later as the effects begin to make her head fuzzy, and her lips and face a bit numb, she can't help but relax and smile. She stands a bit unsteadily but soon finds her legs. Without much difficulty, she removes her equipment, placing it with Ergen, asking him to keep an eye on it, and stands in her underclothes. She climbs up onto a nearby table and begins to move, slowly, and sensually. "Someone play a song. I need to dance!"

Lord Loss
2011-07-13, 09:08 AM
Purchases

Two vials of holy water, please.

OOC:

Is everyone done in town? I might make another IC post later, but apart from that I'm ready to move the story along. (I'm assuming you're waiting for us to be done in town, Appending Doom. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

appending_doom
2011-07-17, 05:49 AM
The night passes quickly for those who went to sleep early, but fitful dreams haunt each of you. It dawns early, and the town, it seems, is subdued in the morning light. Word must have spread, because people give the group a wide berth, and shoot frequent glances in the direction of the graveyard.

In the morning, an aged human woman Ergen recognizes as Lady Margyla refuses to allow any of the party to leave before she examines their wounds. She has a harsh manner, but a gentle touch, and a magic touch; it isn't much power, but she is able to heal all of you to full health.

@purchases

@Lord Loss, you're told that Treiny seems to have a source for holy water, but that otherwise, no one in the town has ever had reason to stock it. You're going to need to find him down by the graveyard to get any.

@Squarky, no issues finding a small mace.

If anyone has any other purchases, list them now.

leafman
2011-07-18, 10:33 PM
"To old man Treiny's? He's gotta know something"

Steelheart
2011-07-30, 06:03 AM
Eloryn nods with a slight shrug. "That sounds fine to me."

appending_doom
2011-08-03, 06:39 AM
The way to the graveyard is quiet, peaceful, and deserted. It stands to reason; until someone gets their act together regarding the sheriff, there won't be any funerals soon. The day is bright and relatively undisturbed. When the group arrives at the gates to the graveyard, it is to find them shut.

A series of quiet grunts further within the graveyard itself suggests someone is there, and hard at work.

Spot and Listen for details, or you can of course just shout out

Steelheart
2011-08-03, 11:18 PM
Eloryn climbs to her tiptoes and leans in different directions trying to gain a better look. "Hello?! Who's there?!" she yells.

leafman
2011-08-04, 02:16 PM

appending_doom
2011-08-05, 06:06 AM
@leaf

You hear the rhythmic clank of metal against stone, presumably a shovel being dug into the rocky ground

A quiet grunt causes all sound to stop, and then a voice calls over the graveyard. "The graveyard's closed. There'll be the funeral soon enough, but until then, get out of here!"

leafman
2011-08-05, 09:54 AM
"Are you old man Treiny? We want to speak with you!" Squarky shouts back. He then move to inspect the lock on the gate, incase the old man doesn't let them in.

appending_doom
2011-08-05, 01:34 PM
@leafman

The lock is a fairly standard padlock; it would be easy to pick, although the man inside might object.

"I am Treiny, but I'm busy. Someone's been cutting up corpses and breaking skeletons all over the graveyard. And who has to clean those up? They certainly didn't."

Steelheart
2011-08-06, 11:54 PM
Eloryn furrows her brow. "That's quite rude. Whoever did it should clean it up!"

leafman
2011-08-07, 03:13 PM
"That was us, sweet cheeks." says the rogue winking at Eloryn.

"How about you let us in and we'll help you clean up?" Squarky shouts back to the gravekeeper.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Steelheart
2011-08-07, 10:52 PM
Looking sheepishly at Squarky, Eloryn whispers, "Oh.. Well, I'll just let you do the talking."

appending_doom
2011-08-08, 04:43 AM
"Are you trained necrologists? If not, then you'd be more harm than help." There is the sound of something being dragged along the ground. "In any case, I don't take well to strangers. And I've never met you before."

Lord Loss
2011-08-10, 07:25 PM
OOC:

I'm back. Sorry for my abscence, I thought the thread had died.

leafman
2011-08-10, 09:12 PM
"Actually, good sir, my friend here is an experienced necrologist!" Squarky shouts back. Turning to Alex "Right Alex?"
Bluff:[roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-11, 04:55 AM
"Aye? And what's the necrologist's password?" the gravekeeper asks.

[roll0]

Lord Loss
2011-08-11, 08:51 AM
"My dear friend Treiny, sais the dwarf,I'm no necrologist, but you've known me my entire life. My name's Ergen Goldpint, my mother Belda Merrigaleand my father Aldous Goldpint. Know that I grew up in this town and have cared for it - my home - for my entire life. The fact that these graves have been despoiled fills me with disgust and I would be happy to lend a helping hand, in any way that I may, regardless of wether or not you agree to aid my friends over here.

And I think it's safe to say that there is no password, as I've never seen a necrologist in these parts my entire life. "

Diplomacy [roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-12, 05:35 AM
"Ah. Well, that's a different corpse altogether," Treiny replies. There's another clank and a muffled thump. "I don't need any help, all the same, Mister Ergen. Nothing wrong with my arms that I haven't put up with for years. Take your friends off and look for landsharks or something."

You hear the clink and thump that sounds remarkably like dirt being shoveled; he's likely burying one of the poor souls who were awoken the night before.

Steelheart
2011-08-12, 04:09 PM
Eloryn ponders for a few moments, obviously chewing on some idea or another.
"I don't know.. I think we should go in..."

HappyBlanket
2011-08-12, 04:52 PM
Alex steps away from the gate, gesturing for the others to follow. His eyes glance to the top of the gate, then to the group.

"I don't think he'll let us in." he whispers, sighing. "Perhaps we could try sneaking past?"

leafman
2011-08-12, 05:04 PM
"I'll get the gate!" Squarky removes his pack, tossing it aside after retrieving his tools.
"This shouldn't take but a tick" he says, contorting his face as he works the lock.

Open Lock:[roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-14, 06:40 AM
The lock opens easily, admitting the group into the graveyard. There are, in fact, corpses scattered everywhere. You certainly don't recall this many zombies and skeletons the night before. The bodies are strewn in almost random patterns about the ground.

Treiny doesn't appear to have noticed you coming in yet.

@all

I need Spot and Intelligence checks from everybody.

HappyBlanket
2011-08-14, 07:19 AM
"Ergh-!" Alex retches, throwing a fist over his mouth in disgust as they near the multitude of corpses. He takes a lasting moment to compose himself before whispering to the others. "We should start looking around. Don't split up, and don't get caught." he suggested, wanting their opinions on the plan.

Intelligence: [roll1]

leafman
2011-08-14, 11:03 AM
"Stay quiet, stay low, if you see Treiny, don't call out to him" Squarky whispers harshly.
Following his own advice, he retrieves his pack and moves into the graveyard trying to stay hidden behind the gravestones as he goes.

Int: [roll1]
Move Silently: [roll2]
Hide: [roll3]
Moving to J18

HappyBlanket
2011-08-14, 05:16 PM
Alex nods gratefully, glancing back to the others before moving continuing with a quick whisper.

"We're scouting the Heartstone. Again, we can't get caught." he says, making sure to fasten his hood before creeping slowly forwards. He follows a few paces after Squarky, keeping to the graves and shadows as he makes his way further into the graveyard to investigate.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Moving towards the Heartstone, avoiding Treiny, and following Squarky at a distance (keeping him in sight if possible).

Moving at half speed to avoid the -5 penalty. Squarky should technically incur that penalty as well, but with those rolls it hardly makes a difference :smalltongue:

edit: SON OF A- No! Should be fine, should be fine >> Treiny is probably taking penalties for darkness and distance.

appending_doom
2011-08-14, 06:03 PM
@HAPPY, @leaf

You see that every corpse has small pieces of onyx pressed into their eye sockets.

Also, it is mid-morning, which I thought was clearly established.

@happy

The corpses seem placed for easy movement, as if they can be quickly dragged along the rows towards the Heartstone.

HappyBlanket
2011-08-15, 05:12 AM
Alex pauses in his stride, turning his head with creeping trepidation as a faint glimmer shines in the corner of his eye. Hesitantly, he kneels beside one of many corpses strewn across the ground, finding the source of the glint to be what remained of a body's eye socket; a hollowed shell containing a foreboding shard of black onyx.

"Squarky." he hissed sharply, plucking the black onyx from the corpse. He turned to the next closest, inspecting it's eyes as well; it too contained the foul gems, which Alex removed as he did the other. Cupping the small pile in his hands, he showed them to the Halfling as he whispered.

"This entire graveyard is being set up for necromacy." he explained, pocketing the gems. He pointed out each of the corpses, drawing a line along the rows with his finger from the furthest grave to the Heartstone. "I think the necromancer is using that altar to cast his spells. Go check it out."

He peers over the grave he's hiding behind, his suspicions growing. Moving silently, he additionally inspects a few more corpses, making sure to remove as much Black Onyx as he can.

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

Spot to find out what Treiny is doing, cause I'm pretty sure he's not digging a new grave.

Lord Loss
2011-08-15, 05:51 AM
Squatting behind a grave, Ergen sweeps the corpses with his eyes. It looks to him like one of those elven artsy movements, but if Alex said it was necromancy, he was probably right.

Can you take em all out before they start chewin on us? asks Ergen, worried. That is a lot of corpses, and a lot of them are probably people he knew. His pappy was buried here. Moradin knows what he'd do if his skeleton cam back to life.

Concentrating on the task at hand, Ergen gestured at Eloryn and Squarky, then made a sharp motion towards Treiny's hut. "We'd better subdue him. I don't think Treiny would survive an encounter with the undead. He's getting frail these days. " He doesn't say what he's really thinking. Muttering a short prayer, he looks around and starts sneaking towards Treiny's hut...

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

Ergen casts Ghost Sound to a mob chanting BURN THE NECROMANCER coming from the opposite direction of Ergen's advance, centering the spell close enough so that Treiny can hear it.

leafman
2011-08-15, 09:33 AM
Squarky nods to Alex. He pauses for a moment behind the gravestone and plucks the onyxs from the eyes of a corpse and heads towards the heartstone, picking his way through the corpses carefully.

Moving at half speed up the I corridor
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2] keeping an eye out for Treiny/movement

appending_doom
2011-08-15, 10:30 AM
@will

[roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-15, 10:45 AM
A low chuckle comes from the direction of the Heartstone. Clever, but do you honestly believe that's going to make me panic? Do you think I'd be doing this if I weren't absolutely certain I've already won? I don't need an army - it's just the sort of thing my Lord expects when revealing our master stroke."

Dragging a worm-eaten corpse behind him, Treiny, the grave-keeper nearing middle age, steps in front of the Heartstone. He drops the corpse and tugs something out from under his worn clothes. You are briefly blinded by a multi-colored luster of a 12-inch disk clutched in Treiny's hand.

"Behold!" he shouts. "As I weave my power beyond the dreams of mere mortals!"

@all

Squarky and Alex are close enough to reach Treiny in one move. Everyone roll initiative.

[roll0]

HappyBlanket
2011-08-15, 10:54 AM
Efffff. Not that it wasn't terribly unexpected, but still! Bleh! Can we still recycle the old map on google docs?

...Also... How many gp worth of black onyx did we collect? I mean, it's not like I'm going to make a necromancer out of Alex, but he is getting that Wizard level soon...
Initiative: [roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-15, 11:06 AM
For reference (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=COHJnPMH&key=0Ak-wpwe8SySIdHJybDg3MVMtUEc2X2pqaWZuRWd1c2c&hl=en_US&authkey=COHJnPMH#gid=0), with additions.

@gp

You can worry about that if you survive.

leafman
2011-08-15, 07:29 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Lord Loss
2011-08-15, 07:41 PM
Initiative:

[roll0]

Steelheart
2011-08-15, 08:34 PM
(Sorry for the delay everyone)

Init: 1d20+2

(is it me or is my roll not working?)

Lord Loss
2011-08-15, 08:50 PM
@Steelheart

Try capitalizing the word "ROLL"

HappyBlanket
2011-08-16, 07:30 AM
"Damn it!" Alex yells, yanking his spear from it's place. He strides forwards, rushing to his target with a concerned glare.

Move: Draw Long Spear
Move: Move to I7

Steelheart
2011-08-16, 09:16 AM
(Eloryn will be deferring initiative until the rest of the group has acted.)

Lord Loss
2011-08-16, 09:24 AM
@steelheart

For future reference, you can't edit a roll into a post. Once posted, if the number of rolls changes, or some of the the rolls are replaced, all the rolls in the post will stop functioning. This is to avoid cheating.

Lord Loss
2011-08-16, 09:29 AM
Seeing as no one's attacked yet, I'm assuming I can still use my fascinate ability on Treiny.

Cursing under his breath, Ergen rushes towards Treiny and, shouting to his allies "We ought ta take i'm alive. The authorities'll want to get their hands on him, and we're in need of answers.

[roll0] Move 20 feet forward and use Fascinate (Bardic music's save DC is equal to my perform check's result)

leafman
2011-08-16, 10:01 AM
Squarky, not wanting to draw attention to himself yet, sneaks foward to get a better angle on Treiny and readies his crossbow.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Move to J8 and ready crossbow

appending_doom
2011-08-16, 04:53 PM
Will:

[roll0]
[roll1]

appending_doom
2011-08-16, 04:57 PM
Treiny focuses on the disc for a moment, smirking as he does so.

[roll0]

@Ergen

You can sense, for a moment, the gathering of an incredible amount of magic around Treiny.

The disc explodes into a 30-foot sphere of pure destructive force.

@Alex

Make a Reflex save

When the light fades, the disc is gone, and Treiny, swaying on his feet, looks scorched and bloody.

HappyBlanket
2011-08-16, 05:05 PM
Oh son of a...
[roll0]

Any chance I get to make an AoO? :smalleek:
edit::smallyuk: Bluh bluh, -10 hp.

leafman
2011-08-16, 06:51 PM
OOC: In light of the exploding necromancer, I'd like to change my action for this round since I'm bottom of the order.

IC: Stunned by the blast, Squarky quickly checks to make sure he's still in one piece. He runs to Alex and attempts to help his fallen comrad.

Heal: [roll0]

appending_doom
2011-08-16, 07:07 PM
Alex is no longer dying.

Lord Loss
2011-08-17, 11:23 AM
Ergen pulls out his Crossbow and fires it at Treiny

[roll0]

1d8

appending_doom
2011-08-17, 07:37 PM
The crossbow seemed to bounce off of the man's dusty shirt, as if it were underlaid with iron.

leafman
2011-08-17, 09:54 PM
Squarky draws and loads his crossbow, then looses his bolt at Treiny.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]

Steelheart
2011-08-19, 08:31 AM
Eloryn will run up as close to Treiny as she can, drawing her sword.

Steelheart
2011-08-27, 12:27 AM
Attacking

[roll0]

dmg: [roll1]

appending_doom
2011-08-27, 02:52 PM
Eloryn's sword just bites through Treiny's armor, seriously wounding the man. He growls and takes a step away, fingers flicking as a barely-visible aura of force forms around him. This diverts Squarky's bolt just enough to miss him.

leafman
2011-08-30, 05:41 PM
"Crud!" Squarky drops his crossbow beside Alex, "keep an eye on this for me, won't you?"
Squarky draws his mace and moves to flank Treiny.

Moving to J4 or I4 depending on which square Treiny moved into