PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Shadow Lord Prestige Class (P.E.A.C.H)

BigRob
2011-05-15, 07:55 PM
http://www.coolest-vampire-art-gallery.com/images/lasombra-vampire-by-jonas-lidstrom.jpg

The Shadow Lord

As a Shadow Lord you tap into the darkness with your own soul, which grants them control over shadows and the supernatural darkness of the Abyss. The unnatural darkness summoned by a Shadow Lord is extremely frightening to those unaccustomed to its use. The exact nature of there power is unknown even among its greatest masters, and it has been a subject of religious, philosophical, and metaphysical debate among Shadow lords for millennia. Its greatest scholars are the followers of the Path of Night and practitioners of Abyss Mysticism, which draws on knowledge of the Shadow Lords in its rituals.

Pre Requirements:

Alignment:Any non-good

Skills:
Concentration 8 Ranks
Knowledge (Planes) 8 Ranks

Feats:
Iron Will
Endurance

Special: Must receive training in the art of obtenebration by another Shadow Lord .

The Shadow Lord

Hit Dice: 1d8

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Shadow lord gains no weapon or armor Proficiencies.

Class Skills (4+int) : Concentration, craft, Intimidate , Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Planes), Move Silently, Hide, Profession, Sense motive, Spot.

Shadow Lord
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Shadow Play

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Tenebrous Form

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Shroud of Night

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Tenebrous Form

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Arms of The Abyss

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Tenebrous Form

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Tenebrous Form

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Black Metamorphosis[/table]

Shadow Play: (Su) At first level a number of times per day equal to his Class level a shadow lord can create illusions as a standard action as per the silent imagine spell (with a caster level equal to his character level), but they are constructed out of shadows, always being dark and any colours appearing washed out. As a swift action a number of times per day equal to half is Class level minimum of 1, a shadow lord can coarse one of his illusions to strike out at an enemy . Unless they make a Will save equal to 11+cha mod, they take 1d4+1 Wis damage. Using this attack ends that use of Shadow play. Images cannot be created or sustained in an area of direct sunlight or a day light spell.

Tenebrous Form (su)

At 2nd level you gain 25% fortification when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell And dark vision 30ft.

At 4th level you gain 50% fortification when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell And your dark vision Increase to 60ft. You gain immunity to stunning attacks and non lethal damage when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell

At 6th level you gain total fortification when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell, And your dark vision function even in magic darkness effects. In addition Tenebrous form helps you fight without penalty when disabled and dieing when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell.

At 8th level Your tenebrous form grants you immunity to poisons, sleep effects, paralysis disease, death effects, fatigue, and exhaustion, ability damage to your physical scores, ability drain, energy drain and death from massive damage. when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell.

Shroud of Night (Su): 3+Con Mod per day, a Shadow Lord can create swath of darkness to roll out around her. As per a Darkness spell with Caster level equal to her Class level. As well as this any enemy that ends its turn in the darkness must make a Fort save (DC equal to 13+Cha mod) or take 2d6+Cha Cold damage, Plus 2 points of Con damage .

Arms of The Abyss (Su): As a swift action the Shadow Lord can grow 2 tentacles composed of pure shadow, These are natural attacks that have reach +5ft, and deal 1d10+1 ½ con mod Cold damage. You added your cha mod as a bonus to trip and grapple attempts with them.

And if they are grappling someone you don’t count as being in a grapple But you cant move to somewhere you can't reach the target of your grapple without releasing grapple.

When attacking with these tentacles the Shadow lord counts as having the Improved grapple and Improved trip Feats

Anyone grappled by these tentacles gains 1 negative level per round they are grappled. (The save to remove these negative levels is equal to 15+cha Mod)

Arms of the Abyss lasts for a number of round 3+con mod. A Shadow Lord can use Arms of The Abyss 3+cha Mod per day. when not in direct sunlight,or a day light spell.

Black Metamorphosis (Su)

You can use your Arms of the Abyss at will, and they last until dismissed as a free action. You can use any of your Shadow lord ability’s in daylight as long as you make a concentration check each round equal to the save dc of the light effect (normal daylight is DC 15). Also the darkness you Create with your Shroud of Night is as per the spell deeper darkness and it grants you 40% concealment .

BigRob
2011-05-15, 09:48 PM
For class feats for level 7 & 9 Im thinking these what do people think:

Level 7: Create Spawn, any creature killed by the ability damage of your Shadow Play or Shroud of Darkness or the Negative levels of your Arms of the Abyss raise 1d4 round later as Fiendish Shadows under your control, (these Shadows do not have the create spawn ability) you can control no more than your shadow lord level+cha mod in fiendish Shadows, Any more created above this limit are uncontrolled

Level 9: Wrath of Darkness The turn after you die, a Fiendish greater Shadow (it does not have its create spawn ability) appears in your square with the sole purpose of killing the person that killed you. As soon as it killed the creature that killed you it vanishes or after 10 around which ever comes first.

Tacitus
2011-05-15, 10:04 PM
Shadow Play: (Su) At first level a number of times per day equal to his shadow lord level a shadow lord can create illusions
should probably read
Shadow Play: (Su) At first level a number of times per day equal to his class level a shadow lord can create illusions
as that would be the way the wording is usually set forth for these sort of things.

Hmm... would a Huge or Larger creature (who normally has a natural reach of 15ft or higher for Tall) using the Arms of the Abyss still only have a reach with the tentacles of 10ft? Do you perhaps mean +5ft to natural reach?

Also, a means to bypass Freedom of Movement on foes being grappled while in an area of darkness would not be completely out of line.

BigRob
2011-05-16, 07:35 AM
Shadow Play: (Su) At first level a number of times per day equal to his shadow lord level a shadow lord can create illusions
should probably read
Shadow Play: (Su) At first level a number of times per day equal to his class level a shadow lord can create illusions
as that would be the way the wording is usually set forth for these sort of things.

Yeah I'll make that change now,

Hmm... would a Huge or Larger creature (who normally has a natural reach of 15ft or higher for Tall) using the Arms of the Abyss still only have a reach with the tentacles of 10ft? Do you perhaps mean +5ft to natural reach?

Also, a means to bypass Freedom of Movement on foes being grappled while in an area of darkness would not be completely out of line.

While the idea of a huge giant with tiny shadow tentacles makes me chuckle, yeah your right +5ft of reach is better.

Silva Stormrage
2011-05-16, 10:32 PM
For class feats for level 7 & 9 Im thinking these what do people think:

Level 7: Create Spawn, any creature killed by the ability damage of your Shadow Play or Shroud of Darkness or the Negative levels of your Arms of the Abyss raise 1d4 round later as Fiendish Shadows under your control, (these Shadows do not have the create spawn ability) you can control no more than your shadow lord level+cha mod in fiendish Shadows, Any more created above this limit are uncontrolled

Level 9: Wrath of Darkness The turn after you die, a Fiendish greater Shadow (it does not have its create spawn ability) appears in your square with the sole purpose of killing the person that killed you. As soon as it killed the creature that killed you it vanishes or after 10 around which ever comes first.

Personally I dislike the ability to spawn shadows. This is because they are either utterly awesome and one shot an encounter that can't hurt them or useless against something that can and it's 13 hp gets 1 shot. I would suggest adding the Shadow or Dark template (forgot which book) onto the creature that you killed and remove any class levels. No more HD controlled than 4/HD of the Shadow Lord?

Ya and for Wrath of Darkness its cool but kinda weak since you know you still died... I would suggest something that if the shadow kills the creature the Shadow Lord gets resurrected.

Edit: For the rest of the class:
On Alignment none good should be non good.

I dislike Shroud of the Night because it is fairly indiscriminate, for pc's this would be a very poor ability to use since it harms allies so badly. If for example you use this on a boss no melee allies can attack it without being mauled by the darkness. And since so many abilities depend on darkness and this is the only way to put darkness up with this class it seems like a big flaw. I would suggest either letting allies not be subjected to the damage or let the class have another way of creating darkness.

Also what is the save dc for Shroud of the Night?

Welknair
2011-05-16, 11:56 PM
So this is entirely unrelated to insidious plots to conquer Deltora? And it doesn't give you control of seven horrible-looking bird things? And no yerks? Or creeper screaming things that keep a monstrous world-eating ooze under control? Or specific weakness to Bardic Music?

+1 Internet if you got the reference.

Anyways, looks nice. Could use an image though.

BigRob
2011-05-17, 07:42 AM
Personally I dislike the ability to spawn shadows. This is because they are either utterly awesome and one shot an encounter that can't hurt them or useless against something that can and it's 13 hp gets 1 shot. I would suggest adding the Shadow or Dark template (forgot which book) onto the creature that you killed and remove any class levels. No more HD controlled than 4/HD of the Shadow Lord?

All good Points about the Shadows, forgot how broken they are. I was thinking maybe Shadow elementals from tome of magic, but they do have the issue of being Incorp.

So I'm thinking fiendish Shadow Elementals but with physical Vulnerability, Basically all mundane attacks have a 50% change of hurting them.

Ya and for Wrath of Darkness its cool but kinda weak since you know you still died... I would suggest something that if the shadow kills the creature the Shadow Lord gets resurrected.

How about you get a raise dead 1d4 rounds after the Shadow kills the creature that killed you. Don't think thats to powerful since it isn't guaranteed and you lose a level.

Edit: For the rest of the class:
On Alignment none good should be non good.

I dislike Shroud of the Night because it is fairly indiscriminate, for pc's this would be a very poor ability to use since it harms allies so badly. If for example you use this on a boss no melee allies can attack it without being mauled by the darkness. And since so many abilities depend on darkness and this is the only way to put darkness up with this class it seems like a big flaw. I would suggest either letting allies not be subjected to the damage or let the class have another way of creating darkness.

Also what is the save dc for Shroud of the Night?

Save DC added, and changed to targeting only enemies

Edit: Also Welknair I have no idea what you going on about :P

Welknair
2011-05-17, 08:12 AM
Edit: Also Welknair I have no idea what you going on about :P

The Shadowlord was the primary antagonist of the Deltora Quest book series as well as Deltora: Shadowlands and Dragons of Deltora.

BigRob
2011-05-17, 08:15 AM
The Shadowlord was the primary antagonist of the Deltora Quest book series as well as Deltora: Shadowlands and Dragons of Deltora.

Ah never heard of the books, narrr this class was based on the Obtenebration discipline of the Lasombra Vampires from V:tM.