PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative magic item creating question.

veven
2011-05-15, 09:27 PM
Reading this little bit on the SRD got me thinking

"A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite."

So could you scribe a scroll of a spell you don't know by using a wand? I knew that you could collaborate on making an item (does this include scrolls?) if you did not have all the prerequisites on your own but I didn't know about the spell trigger thing..

Does this make it even easier for Archivists to get pretty much every divine spell? (If you allow the independent research rules then, every spell ever?)

tyckspoon
2011-05-15, 09:38 PM
So could you scribe a scroll of a spell you don't know by using a wand? I knew that you could collaborate on making an item (does this include scrolls?) if you did not have all the prerequisites on your own but I didn't know about the spell trigger thing..

That is in fact exactly what it means by using a spell-trigger item. So yes. If you have acquired a wand of a spell and you'd like it in your spellbook, you can use the wand to make a scroll, and then use the scroll to copy to book.

Re: Archivists, I don't think it makes stuff any easier on them unless you can find some way to make a wand cast an arbitrary spell (I seem to remember a way to get it to cast any spell you know/have prepared, but nothing to make it perform a spell that you have no previous way to use.) You'd still have to go buy the wands, and it's still much cheaper to just find a suitable caster and collaborate on a scroll with him- you provide Scribe Scroll, he casts the spell on it, you pay him for a spellcasting and a couple hours of his time.