PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a Construct Maker

Ninepintcoggie
2011-05-15, 10:25 PM
Hi GiantitP! I'm a new DM, and one of my players really wants to level up in a cool prestige class that involves sending hordes of construct minions at his foes. While this sounds cool, I encouraged him to think a little more practically. I was wondering if there was a prestige class that I hadn't heard about that specializes in creating constructs, golems and such. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

tyckspoon
2011-05-15, 10:27 PM
Complete.. Arcane, I think? Either there or Mage. Effigy Master. Comes complete with a special template for making construct versions of basically everything. It's still not especially viable as a primary tactic- constructs are deliberately pretty expensive to make- but it comes closer than anything else I've seen, and Effigy constructs are notably cheaper than most golems and other constructs with specific construction notes in the Monster Manuals.

Edit: That or a Shaper psion specializing in Astral Construct.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-15, 10:38 PM
Definitely seconding the Shaper Psion option... it's the only way to do multiple construct minions without the DM giving you a bottomless bank account.

RaginChangeling
2011-05-15, 10:42 PM
An Artificer would be another way to do it, though it'd be quite a bit more limited. Their focus on crafting and XP reserve would grant them the ability to make a decent amount though, and he'd be able to easily heal/repair them.

AslanCross
2011-05-16, 04:28 AM
Definitely seconding the Shaper Psion option... it's the only way to do multiple construct minions without the DM giving you a bottomless bank account.

Seconding this. In addition to being practically free, Astral Constructs are highly customizable, unlike the set list of constructs that one can make with the artificer's homunculus crafting or the Craft Construct feat.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-16, 08:00 AM
Erm... give the character a couple wands of animate object?

Feytalist
2011-05-16, 08:11 AM
Perhaps not exactly what your player has in mind, but the Techsmith can create his own mecha-companion, the Gondsman.

Other than that, seconding the Shaper Psion. Unless your character wants actual mechanical thingies running around, then I would suggest Artificer with Craft Construct, and some very lenient small mecha critter-building.