PDA

View Full Version : Preferred spells for a level 20 sorcerer

amazinghat
2011-05-16, 12:31 AM
Well, let's debate them here, since I can't really find the thread elsewhere. Also, feats.

Please limit the spells to those found on d20srd.org.

Let's assume you're solo and you also had 20 ranks in monk (to make for an insane level 20 gestalt character, heh).

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 12:43 AM
My epic sorcerer's spell list, minus non-core spells:

0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation
1: Grease, Summon Monster I, Charm Person, Silent Image, True Strike
2: Glitterdust, False Life
3: Magic Circle Against Good, Ray of Exhaustion, Haste
4: Enervation
5: Hold Monster, Wall of Stone
6: Greater Dispel Magic, Disintegrate, Antimagic Field
7: Greater Teleport, Finger of Death
8: Trap the Soul, Greater Shadow Evocation, Moment of Prescience
9: Gate, Time Stop, Soul Bind

Also had Shapechange, Foresight, Shades, and Greater Arcane Sight on a runestaff.

amazinghat
2011-05-16, 12:51 AM
Why true strike?

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 12:53 AM
Why true strike?

Why not? There's only so many 1st level spells still worth using at that point, and I can always quicken it to help with my rays against the odd high touch AC opponent.

amazinghat
2011-05-16, 12:55 AM
Why not? There's only so many 1st level spells still worth using at that point, and I can always quicken it to help with my rays against the odd high touch AC opponent.

Well, I suppose there's that, but I'd always been pressed to choose the right spells for 1-level.

I usually go with grease, summon monster I, comprehend languages, identify, and feather fall. To be honest, for a 1 man sorcerer group, these spells seem almost necessary.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 01:07 AM
Well, I suppose there's that, but I'd always been pressed to choose the right spells for 1-level.

I usually go with grease, summon monster I, comprehend languages, identify, and feather fall. To be honest, for a 1 man sorcerer group, these spells seem almost necessary.

Comprehend Languages and Identify are too situational for spells know. Get them as scrolls/wands instead. Feather Fall is debatable at higher levels since you should be flying all the time anyway.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-05-16, 02:09 AM
The nice thing about Feather Fall is that it's one of the few immediate action spells in the SRD, meaning you can create a contingency triggered upon "when I cast feather fall" and it acts like a one-shot celerity plus.

Draz74
2011-05-16, 02:50 AM
My favorite Core-Only Sorcerer build ends up with the following. Note that he's distinctly not a Solo character; in particular, his party Cleric has the Travel domain, which makes several spells unnecessary for the Sorc. Also, this is at Level 20, so it doesn't include nice spells that he's traded out at even levels. Also, I was purposely avoiding some of the most powerful Spell options, such as the Polymorph line.

**0:** Arcane Mark, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Ghost Sound, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
**1:** Grease, Protection from Law, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Unseen Servant
**2:** Acid Arrow, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, Touch of Idiocy
**3:** Greater Magic Weapon, Haste, Phantom Steed, Slow
**4:** Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Greater Invisibility, Shadow Conjuration
**5:** Persistent Image, Telekinesis, Telepathic Bond, Wall of Stone
**6:** Acid Fog, Disintegrate, Greater Dispel Magic
**7:** Limited Wish, Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Waves of Exhaustion
**8:** Demand, Greater Shadow Evocation, Moment of Prescience
**9:** Dominate Monster, Foresight, Time Stop

Feats:
Eschew Materials, Skill Focus (spellcraft), Spell Focus (conjuration), Heighten Spell, Spell Focus (illusion), Empower Spell, Craft Wondrous Item, Still Spell

(Note that he also has Archmage levels, which explains some of the Feat choices.)

Grommen
2011-05-16, 09:41 AM
Now see I would think wish myself because I would want to be able to cast any spell under 7th level I think it is.

Hyfigh
2011-05-16, 09:46 AM
I tend to adhere to Solo's spell guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0). It details out the best of each level.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 09:50 AM
Now see I would think wish myself because I would want to be able to cast any spell under 7th level I think it is.

Limited Wish is a pretty good idea, but flexibility is rarely worth 5000 XP. Not something I'd want to use nearly often enough to take up a spell known.

Talya
2011-05-16, 09:54 AM
I can't believe none of these lists include Nerveskitter or Ruin Delver's Fortune. The former I can see as it's a faerun spell. The latter...it's in the spell compendium and may be the most awesome sorcerer defensive spell EVER. One of the few big advantages sorcerers get over wizards. (Yes, wizards can cast the spell...but it grants Charisma to saves, so...)

Bah, core only.

How'd I miss that?

(Who plays core only?)

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 10:14 AM
Just for the record, my full list had both of those spells. And Nerveskitter is also in SpC.

Grommen
2011-05-16, 10:50 AM
Limited Wish is a pretty good idea, but flexibility is rarely worth 5000 XP. Not something I'd want to use nearly often enough to take up a spell known.

Forgot about the experience point cost. Imagine that a spell that is balanced. :smallwink:

I'm out then, I've had two characters in 20 years that have earned the right to toss about 9th level spells. I always take Meteor Swarm. Just lots and lost of Meteor Swarm. Not always the best idea, but dropping planetoids on people cures a great many things.