PDA

View Full Version : Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer [3.5]

Volos
2011-05-16, 02:13 AM
I had a concept for a character that I have decided against, but I may end up using it in the near future for a different game. I love the flavor of a Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer with Draconic Feats. The bonuses that just end up stacking from that seem like they could be put to good use, but I have yet to find a good mix of feats that really works. So here is my idea, and I'd like some feedback on how to flesh it out or whether or not it would even work or be practical.

Assuming Human as starting race, two flaws allowed, what can be done from level 3 onward to make a Dragon-Blooded Sorcerer take full advantage of Draconic Knowledge and Knowledge Devotion? This could extend to any dragonblooded character in any class, but with enough feats backing it up Draconic Knowledge could give a very nice bonus to all of the Knowledge skills and with Knowledge Devotion it could be made that much sweeter. Having a bonus to attack and damage for ranged touch spells sounds good, but how useful would it be?

Zaydos
2011-05-16, 02:24 AM
Well my first thought with dragonblooded sorcerer is dragonheart mage (Races of Dragon page 88; loses 2 levels of casting so not actually that good of an idea; gets 4 draconic feats though over 8 levels, I'm building a dragonblooded sorcerer towards this right now) but it's not the best for this.

I'd look at gishing out. Also if you aren't doing anything with your familiar you could be a dragonblooded race and take Dragonblood Sorcerer Substitution (Races of Dragon page 107) levels to get draconic heritage as a bonus feat, or, better yet, be a silverbrow human (Dragon Magic) and you trade your familiar and 1 skill point/level for draconic heritage and +2 to Know (Arcana)... actually that might not be worth it because of the low Int of a lot of sorcerers but it's an option worth noting.

Otherwise I like Draconic Skin (+1 AC, but it stacks with pretty much anything and as its not a racial ability but a feat it ought to work while polymorphed but it depends a little on the wording), Draconic Claws gives you a swift action melee attack with every standard action spell, Draconic Senses gives you a bonus to Spot and Listen and eventually blindsense, Draconic Breath lets you convert any spell into a (weak) attack spell (2d6/spell level) so it's not that useful but it helps at Lv 8 and earlier by giving you a last resort attack spell should you need it without taking a high level spells known (dragonheart mage makes it 3d6 per spell level eventually which is still pretty bad damage).