PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get Domain powers without caster levels?

Devmaar
2011-05-16, 09:27 AM
Basically, as a thought exercise I've been trying to build a non-magical character who is almost impossible to kill. Right now the big weakness is he can still fail Will and Reflex throws with a natural 1. I was wandering if there's any way to get the Pride Domain power without taking any levels in a magical class. Failing that, any similar re-roll effect.

(Ideally using feats, but may be able to spare a level)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-16, 09:31 AM
Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightment keyed to the Pride Domain can get you the domain granted power. IIRC it requires 5 ranks in K: The planes.

It is in the Planar Handbook

Cyrion
2011-05-16, 09:36 AM
Take a look at the luck feats in Complete Scoundrel. A number of them give re-rolls on a variety of things, and the more luck feats you take, the more times per day you can re-roll.

Malkav
2011-05-16, 09:59 AM
Take a look at the luck feats in Complete Scoundrel. A number of them give re-rolls on a variety of things, and the more luck feats you take, the more times per day you can re-roll.

This........

dextercorvia
2011-05-16, 10:08 AM
Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightment keyed to the Pride Domain can get you the domain granted power. IIRC it requires 5 ranks in K: The planes.

CoE is your best bet, but if you can't get that, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Action before Thought could help here, as well.

Devmaar
2011-05-16, 10:50 AM
Thanks, I didn't have room in the build for the other options but the Planar Touchstone is perfect :smallbiggrin:

ILM
2011-05-16, 10:53 AM
Or buy a few empty Luck Blades.

mabriss lethe
2011-05-16, 12:49 PM
Domain Draughts (magic item compendium) maybe? I'm not familiar with Pride domain, so I don't know if it would work for you. 3300 (I think, AFB) grants you a domain power for 24 hours. (effective cleric level is either your actual cleric level or -, so some of them are useless for non-clerics)

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-17, 01:29 AM
Almost impossible to kill? Shame you are not going to be a caster. Abrupt Jaunt is great for such things, although sometimes you want the actions to cast swift/quickened spells.

Zaq
2011-05-17, 02:08 AM

8 ranks, unfortunately. You'll probably want a way of getting K: Planes in-class.

NecroRick
2011-05-17, 02:21 AM
Abrupt Jaunt is great for such things, although sometimes you want the actions to cast swift/quickened spells.

Abrubt jaunt is an immediate action, not a swift action. (Read as: interrupt, not instant :D )

Divide by Zero
2011-05-17, 02:27 AM
Abrubt jaunt is an immediate action, not a swift action. (Read as: interrupt, not instant :D )

Immediate action eats your next turn's swift.

Devmaar
2011-05-17, 04:21 AM
Almost impossible to kill? Shame you are not going to be a caster. Abrupt Jaunt is great for such things, although sometimes you want the actions to cast swift/quickened spells.

It would be too easy with a caster :smalltongue:

Person_Man
2011-05-17, 07:51 AM
I agree with dextercorvia that Moment of Perfect Mind and Action before Thought from Tome of Battle would probably be the way to go. The only down side is that they are Immediate Actions, and thus can only be used once per turn.

Kensai can also use Concentration checks in place of Reflex Saves. There's also Insane Defiance and Deformity (Madness) from Elder Evils, which basically make you immune to Mind Effecting effects (ie, 90% of Will Saves).

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-17, 01:21 PM
It would be too easy with a caster :smalltongue:

Of course. Who needs to physically be able to take effects when you killed the person before you retroactively.