PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) [Flaw] Is this secondary bit really a drawback? (ToM) [P.E.A.C.H.]

DracoDei
2011-05-16, 01:59 PM
Compliant Soul
Whether from a soft spot towards vestiges or some weakpoint in your will, once you are under a vestige's influence its grip is unbreakable.
Prerequisites: Ability to bind a vestige. (Player must be skilled at roleplaying influences, as subject to GM discretion).
Drawbacks: You take a -2 penalty to all binding checks. This specifically includes the check to expel a vestige with the Expel Vestige feat, and checks to bind a vestige, however there may be some other uses for a binding check that the GM may rule do not incur this penalty.
In addition, if you are under a vestige's Influence you may not violate it (by taking the -1 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and checks). If the Influences of two vestiges you are bound to conflict in a given situation, with no possible way of following them both (regardless of the risks or implications of such a solution) you may follow one, or the other, or some middle-path between the two in that situation. Middle paths are subject to GM acceptance.
Special: You do not gain the corresponding feat that this flaw grants you until you have an effective binder level of at least 2. (Note that this is possible at 1st level if you take both the Bind Vestige and Bind Vestige, Improved feats).

The question in the header is directed at the idea that delaying the receiving of the feat to second level could allow, for instance, a single classed binder to get Quick-Draw or Weapon Finesse a level earlier. I am sure other such tricks exist, especially if one multi-classes and waits until a later level to pick up one's binder levels (especially the second binder level). Is this cheese or not?

Is the fact that using only the PHB and ToM a human could have a binder level of 5 (although with limited powers from bound vestiges) generally considered cheesy?

Another question: Should change it so you are automatically under the Influence of all vestiges you bind, but that if you make the binding roll you can still suppress or show their sign if you have the appropriate class feature? Expel Vestige would probably suffer no penalty under this scenario.

I am also interested in general critique.

Veklim
2011-05-16, 02:07 PM
The question in the header is directed at the idea that delaying the receiving of the feat to second level... ...Is this cheese or not?
Probably not, if you're taking this then you have a minimum of 1 level (being 1st, the most dangerous) before getting the payoff for the flaw. That means you're paying a heavier price for the sake of getting a low-req feat earlier than some (but not all) others. If a player really wants to go for the uber-cheese, they could avoid their 2nd binder level for a fair while, but even then, the longer they wait, the longer they pay for not having that feat.
If 1 feat was gonna break anything all that much, then fighters wouldn't need retooling so often, would they? :smallwink:

DracoDei
2011-05-16, 03:50 PM
Probably not, if you're taking this then you have a minimum of 1 level (being 1st, the most dangerous) before getting the payoff for the flaw. That means you're paying a heavier price for the sake of getting a low-req feat earlier than some (but not all) others. If a player really wants to go for the uber-cheese, they could avoid their 2nd binder level for a fair while, but even then, the longer they wait, the longer they pay for not having that feat.
If 1 feat was gonna break anything all that much, then fighters wouldn't need retooling so often, would they? :smallwink:

Good point. The cheesiest would be in very tight builds where you are starting out at 2nd or higher level, so you never have to actually deal with the flaw without the feat. And since it requires good RP anyway... (not that powergaming/munchkinism is TECHNICALLY mutually exclusive with good roleplaying abilities...).

In short I don't think it will be a problem.

Veyr
2011-05-16, 03:52 PM
I think being forced to follow Vestige influence is a bad idea. This is exactly why the Binder is better-designed than, say, the Paladin. The delayed feat thing is weird and seems unnecessary (you are not, by RAW, required to take Flaws at first, if you wanted).

DracoDei
2011-05-16, 05:55 PM
I think being forced to follow Vestige influence is a bad idea. This is exactly why the Binder is better-designed than, say, the Paladin.
As a default I am not going to argue (I do happen to disagree, but that isn't a subject worth discussing). Some people might still have use for the option to make things more strict that this feat presents.

(you are not, by RAW, required to take Flaws at first, if you wanted).
As you are the first to mention this I am not sure most people play that way, but OK.

Veyr
2011-05-16, 05:57 PM
Most flaws are inherent traits of a person, and therefore would be hard to justify after first.

Something like this, though, probably could.

DracoDei
2011-05-16, 06:16 PM
Most flaws are inherent traits of a person, and therefore would be hard to justify after first.

Something like this, though, probably could.
A valid point. I could see it either way.