PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter d20

Savannah
2011-05-16, 02:24 PM
September 1, 10:40 am, King's Cross

King's Cross is very busy this morning, people hurrying around you, talking loudly. Through the crowd, you catch occasional glimpses that this is not quite a normal day - a caged owl on a cart, a girl clutching a broomstick as she hurries by, a boy approaching the barrier between platforms 9 and 10 and disappearing in the blink of an eye.

The barrier. While you all have been told how to get through it, it still looks very....solid.

Kayli
You notice a familiar face in the crowd - Mrs. Stone is standing a little ways off, looking around like she's looking for someone.
Rachel
You notice someone you know in the crowd - the tall, blond Ministry witch, Mrs. Amelia Stone, who arranged for you to be taken in by your aunt after your parents' deaths, is standing off to one side looking around as if she's looking for someone.

Obrysii
2011-05-16, 02:37 PM
Little Dorian - a pale-faced creature that seemed more likely to be found in a ward of some hospital instead of standing in the middle of King's Cross. He held a backpack loosely across his shoulder, and his dark hair was arranged flat against his face. Brown-black eyes, framed by bruises, suggested he was exhausted or depressed.

Or both.

In his excitement he had already dressed in his school robes - already read the books, already understood the basic premise. And his parents nodded accordingly, and guided him through the barrier: though Squibs, they knew enough of the Wizarding world to enter Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.

"Wow," he whispered - not to his parents, but to the small and young corn snake wrapped around him, its head poking out tentatively to gaze at the great red train. He said no more - parselmouth, he knew, was not looked upon kindly.

"Alright mum, dad," he said - filling his voice with as much confidence as he could, "It's time. I-I guess I'll see you around Christmas time."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-16, 02:41 PM
A boy can be seen in the crowd of witches and wizards holding his mother's hands. His name is James, and his freckled face stood out like a black sheep. He wasn't his normal self, quiet, shy, nervous, this was still new to him, and his mother's face showed the exact same feeling.

A girl in the crowd caught James' eye. She had short silvery-blonde hair and a pretty face. James couldn't take his eyes of her; he was transfixed to her every movement. As he realised the dribble running out of his mouth, James wiped himself and pulled his focus back onto the crimson steam train.

Denomar
2011-05-16, 03:35 PM
Tarquin acknowledges the crowd with a sigh. Always so busy. And yet, how it was that their hadn't been a major accident here yet was to his mind truly unbelievable. It was like the mad hatter's tea-party without the tea.

"Now let's see, what platform was it again?"

Digging through his trunk he pulls out his note pad and flips through the hastily scrawled notes.

"Ah there we go!"

He then promptly walks right into the barrier between platform eight and platform nine. It's a bit more solid than he was expecting. Feeling remarkably similar to a brick post.

"Bloody 'ell". He checks the note again. It reads 'read Chapter 8 1/2 section on wizarding delicacies of Prussia'

Cursing his carelessness Tarquin looks around to try and find someone to help him.

Ilriyn
2011-05-16, 03:50 PM
A small girl stand by a bench a little ways off from the crowd. Short light blond hair frames a glowing face with brilliant blue eyes. Though Kayli is dressed in a badly fitting skirt and blouse with a threadbare coat, all evidently hand-me-downs, she is still uncommonly pretty. Not a few travelers stop and stare at her for a moment before walking away a little confused.

Kayli does not notice the crowd, as she is preoccupied in trying to find a familiar face. She had been told to step through the wall between two platforms in order to board her train, but she couldn't recall where. Letting out a sigh of frustration, she knelt down by small old trunk with a tiny tabby cat lazily perched on top. "Do you remember where we were supposed to go, Robin?" The only response she gets from her cat is a wide yawn.

Standing up again, she spies the ministry witch who first found her in the crowd, Mrs. Stone. Telling Robin to stay, Kayli pushes her way through the mass of people towards the witch. As she approaches Mrs. Stone, Kayli tentatively asks in a musical voice, "Mrs. Stone?"

Savannah
2011-05-16, 04:11 PM
Kayli -
Mrs. Stone turns, "Oh, hello, Kayli! Looking for your platform?" She continues to scan the crowd as she speaks, "That's what they've got me here for, well that and looking for people who can't pass as muggles. I saw a boy in robes already a few minutes ago, but I couldn't catch him to tell him to wait to change next time." She sighs, then suddenly spots something and points, "Oh, look, I think he tried to go through, but it was the wrong barrier, poor dear. Here, come along and I'll send you both through at the same time, if he really is one of ours."

Tarquin -
A tall, blond woman in a suit walks over to you, looking concerned, "Are you lost, dear?"

Obrysii
2011-05-16, 04:31 PM
As a girl passed him, Dorian couldn't help but follow her with his eyes. She was alluring - a sort of thing he simply wasn't prepared for.

"Already looking at the ladies?" his father said, half-teasing, half-harsh, "Don't be stupid."

Dorian looked down, eyes shimmering - this was always how it was. His father had grown worse since his son had true magical talent. Was it jealousy? The eleven year old didn't know. He just knew that while he loved his father, the other hated him.

"I wasn't, I -" Dorian began, but was cut off by his mother.

"Don't worry, dear," she said lamely, "Now, go! Make your family proud!"

"Enjoy Hogwarts," his father said with a spiteful tone - as if he was angry with his son, "Do well, son."

His last words resonated with Dorian. A mixture of hope and anger seemed to permeate his father - Dorian really was the last hope for the Hillsboroughs to produce a competent wizard. If he failed - no, he thought, he couldn't fail. There was no 'if' there.

He took his bag, filled heavily with books, still hanging loosely at his shoulder, and went to the train, following the girl that had first caught his eye - not to talk to her, but to be with others of his age.

Savannah
2011-05-16, 04:37 PM
Kayli still hasn't made it to Platform 9-3/4, just for the record (unless I'm misreading someone). Although I'm amused by how everyone's using her as a way to get together :smalltongue:

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-16, 04:54 PM
(OOC - it was a made-up person i was describing. It was just a character development tool).

James' eyes remained fixed on the train. To think he would soon be boarding it to begin a new adventure. An adventure, he thought, that would either make him or break him.

"Right, you behave yourself you hear me", his mum said, embracing him in a big hug, "I'll see you at chrismas, and if there's any problems, you write to me as soon as possoble".

"Muuuuuum, stop treating me like a kid, i'll be fine, really i will".

"The last time you said that you rammed your head through the coffee table".

"Yeah, but this time it is different".

James received a wet kiss on the cheek and then made his way on the train. He found the first empty compartment, opened the door and sat down against the window; looking out to his mother as she waved furiously at him, tears running down her eyes.

Denomar
2011-05-16, 05:06 PM
Tarquin eyes the young woman hopefully. He opens his mouth, thinks better of it and asks: "Uh, well, that depends. If I asked you what to do with a Puffskein what would you tell me?"

He smiles in a way that he hopes doesn't look too offputting.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-16, 05:14 PM
OOC: Well, she is half Veela.

Cal walked briskly, pushing his trunk, while Matilda followed behind. Are you sure that this is the wall? Matilda nodded,

"Yes, yes, deary."

And what was it like when you were there?

"I was only there for a day! But it was truly ... well, magical ... Not to be redundant or anything." Cal came to a stop and looked at Matilda. Her eyes were on him, but not on him at the same time. Like they were in a far off place.

Matti!

Matilda's eyes came back from where ever they were, "Oh my, it looks like we've arrived. Now follow my example." As Cal stood with his luggage and trolley, Matilda stepped away from him, started up a brisk pace and walked neatly through the barrier. No time like the present... Cal then closed his eyes, and followed suit. A strange tingling sensation filled his body, and when he opened them again, he found himself on the platform on 9 and 3/4, his back to Matilda. He tapped her on the back and asked,

But ... What is I do If I'm a Squib? Matilda gave him a pat on the back.

"Well that's nothing to worry about. Here, I'll take the trolley and make sure it gets on the train. You find yourself some friends you here? Just because you spend half your time reading books doesn't mean you should be lonely the other half the time." And with that, she was off, leaving Cal all alone.

Savannah
2011-05-16, 05:30 PM
Tarquin -
She smiles, "I'd tell you to cuddle it; they do make nice pets. Very wise of you checking first, though. I'm Mrs. Stone, I work for the Ministry of Magic. This is your first time getting to the platform, isn't it? Here, I'll show you and Kayli," she glances behind to make sure Kayli had followed her, "how to get on. You want that barrier, there, between 9 and 10, as you're aiming for Platform 9-3/4. Just go on and don't be nervous, I'll make sure no one is watching you."

Dorian, James, and Cal -
Platform 9-3/4 is almost as busy as the muggle station, and far more unusual. Half the people there are in their robes and many are carrying owls, which are not too pleased to be jostled by the rest of the luggage, judging by their disgruntled hoots. A white cat streaks through the crowd, two girls chasing it. Several older students, already in their robes and wearing silver badges on their chests, are walking along the platform, encouraging everyone to get on the train and helping people stow their luggage.

Denomar
2011-05-16, 05:52 PM
"Oh good. Thanks miss."

He steps lightly towards the barrier to 9 3/4.

"This...won't hurt will it?"

He reaches out to pat the surface of the barrier uncomfortably when a thought occurs to him and he jerks his hand back.

"Miss Stone? How is it the Muggles don't just....fall through?"

he gestures to a Chav leaning against the barrier to platform 4.

Ilriyn
2011-05-16, 05:56 PM
Kayli looks troubled for a second, then says, "I need to get my trunk and my cat, if that's alright, Mrs. Stone. They do allow animals at Hogwarts, don't they?"

Denomar
2011-05-16, 06:16 PM
Tarquin shakes his head.

"What am I saying. Magic right?"

He looks from his wheeled trunk to the young girl.

"Do um...Do you need help with that?"

He smiles broadly.

...Then flushes just as deeply.

Imbasel
2011-05-16, 06:25 PM
Rachel finally finishes unpacking and repacking her things one last time. Her trolly is full to the brim with books inside large oaken chests and other items of witchcraft and wizardy. She peers around the crowd quickly turning her head causing her bright blond hair to twirl around like a hoop skirt.

Peering over a younger boy's head she sees a familier face. Mrs. Amelia Stone is standing around and apparently looking for someone most likely her.

She sighs as her powder blue skirt and white dress shirt seem to bob around like a bobber for a fish pole as she races to her. Looking up with bright expressive eyes she says "Hi miss am I too late?"

OOC: I just want to apologize for taking so long to post today. I'm very sick and will be staying home from school tomorrow. The upside is that I can post during the day.

Savannah
2011-05-16, 06:37 PM
Mrs. Stone looks around as she hears Rachel's voice, "No, of course not, Rachel. In fact, you're just in time - I was just telling Kayli and...I'm afraid I don't know your name...how to get onto Platform 9-3/4."

She turns back to Tarquin, "You have to know that the platform's there and be confidant about it to get on. Since the muggles have no idea, they can lean on it without ever falling through.

"And, yes, they do allow pets at Hogwarts; you can have a cat, owl, or toad, and sometimes other pets, too, as long as they're well behaved and not dangerous.

"Now you three'd best be going on, you wouldn't want to miss the train!"

Ilriyn
2011-05-16, 06:38 PM
Kayli turns towards Tarquin, and says with a smile, "Oh, thank you. That would actually be very nice. It's just over there," she indicates with her finger, "Come on!"

Without looking back, she races towards back towards her luggage, her slender figure lithely dodging between groups of people. Arriving at her trunk, she turns back towards Tarquin and holds out her hand. "Silly me, I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Kayli Howard. What's your name?"

Denomar
2011-05-16, 06:59 PM
Tarquin doesn't look back as he yells. "Thanks Miss!"

He tries to follow Kayli's course but the bulky trunk prevents him from doing so very fast.

"My name is...Oof, sorry! Tarquin. Tar-Whoa! Oh sorry, sorry."

Waving his hand to try and placate the poor man who's shoes he had just run over he tried again.

"Tarquin Moore. OW! Bloody...."

Finally skidding to a stop in front of Kayli's luggage he throws a black glare at the porter who managed to run right into him.

"Tarquin Moore. As in Othello. Pleasure's mine. We'd better dash. Miss Stone doesn't look very happy."

Before she can protest. Or run off again, he grabs the cat's carrying cage and turns toward the barrier.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-16, 07:16 PM
Cal makes a sweeping glance across the platform before boarding the train, the bag containing his robes being the only one left in his hands. As he boards, he sees Matilda handing off the rest of his luggage to one of the train's attendants. He ambles a long looking for a room that isn't crowded before finding one occupied by a sole student.

Cal enters the room and states,
Hello! Uhm, would you mind if I joined you? The name's Calvin ... But please, call me Cal. Cal shoots out his hand, hoping his attempts at socializing wont be rejected by this new boy.

Ilriyn
2011-05-16, 07:18 PM
Seeing Tarquin's disheveled appearance, Kayli says, "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I should have waited for yo-" Finding that Tarquin had already dashed off, Kayli follows with a shrug.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-16, 07:25 PM
James looked around to see who had come in. A boy with an out-stretched hand stood by the door greeting him.

"Nice to meet you Cal, the name's James Smith". James shook Cal's hand and indicated the seat opposite him as to invite him in.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-16, 07:38 PM
Cal smiles weakly and sits where James pointed him to. Well, hello James. Cal sets his case down on his lap. So. What are your parents? Mine are Muggles. Cal trails off and looks up at the ceiling. Making eye contact has always bothered him.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-16, 07:46 PM
James looked back out to his mother on the platform. "Mine too", James pointed a finger to Mrs Smith, "that's my mum there, my dad died shortly before i was born".

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-16, 07:56 PM
Oh. I'm sorry. Cal frowns and tries to think of something a little less grim to bring into their conversation.

Denomar
2011-05-16, 10:54 PM
Bursting through the barrier to Platform 93/4 with a pop Tarquin beholds the big beat up red train with awe.

"Alice eat your heart out...."

Turning around he waits for Kayli to come through. A Huge smile on his face. As she appears he yells.

"That Was WICKED!"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 02:29 AM
For a split second, James caught Cal's eyes and he realised that Cal was trying to make more of an effort than he was. From now on i'm gonna be more positive, he thought.

"It's okay. What about your parents? Are they on the platform?"

Ilriyn
2011-05-17, 08:49 AM
Holding her free hand out in front of her as she lugs her heavy trunk behind her, Kayli closes her eyes and steps through the wall.

On the other side, Kayli grins back at Tarquin. "That was awesome. I didn't think that it would actually work."

Kayli looks around, taking in the sights and sounds of the wizarding platform as she waits for Rachel. As parents waved goodbye to their departing children, Kayli remarked, "Why, they're just like normal people."

Imbasel
2011-05-17, 08:59 AM
Rachel quickly waves goodbye to Mrs. Amelia Stone and takes a deep breath. Looking at the column of rock before her she gathers her brow in concentration. Then gathering her small tiny feet she pushes her cart hard towards the rock before her quickly saying "Goodbye" to Mrs. Amelia Stone.

As she emerges from the rock she is amazed by what she sees. Scores of students around her many with their parents waving them goodbye or helping them with their luggage. As she slows down her cart she clips the girl ahead of hers cart with a thud. Stammering she says " I'm so sorry. I lost control of my cart. I'm Rachel and you're Kayli right?"

Ilriyn
2011-05-17, 10:31 AM
Wincing as she rubs her shin, Kayli says, "Oh, it's fine. Don't worry about it." Standing up again, she smiles and says, "Yup, I'm Kayli. Kayli Howard. Nice to meet you Rachel. This is Tarquin Moore, uh, as in Othello." She finishes with an air of not being quite sure what she just said.

A loud whistle from the train startles Kayli, who jumps slightly at the sound. "We'd better get on the train before it leaves," Kayli quickly says. "We can talk more once we're settled in."

Denomar
2011-05-17, 11:57 AM
"This isn't a train station. It's a Bumper Car platform."

Tarquin waves at Rachel and steps onto the train. It's almost as busy inside the train as it is outside of it. Wildly glancing about Tarquin finally locates an empty compartment, hauls open the door and hollers:

"Kayli, Rachel, in here!"

Then stuffing his trunk beneath the seat he sinks into the bench with a happy sigh.

"I can't believe I'm finally going to Hogwarts!"

Imbasel
2011-05-17, 11:58 AM
Rachel quickly smiles and says "Hello" She then quickly gathers her things her small arms pulling at the laden heavy packs and trunks.

She then follows Tarquin and waves a hand over to Kayli saying "Over here Kayli." As she does so she plops down on the seat and begins to read The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk while listening to the others.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 12:11 PM
"So, what house are you hoping to be in, Cal? I don't mind Hufflepuff, and Slytherin's not too bad i suppose, but i want to be in Ravenclaw,and", James realised his voice was getting louder and louder, closed his mouth quickly and went back to staring out the window, hearing the final loud whistle that signals the train's soon departure.

"Sorry, i'm just a bit over-excited".

Denomar
2011-05-17, 12:18 PM
"rin's not too bad i suppose, but i want to be in Ravenclaw, and..."
--
Tarquin chuckles at the noise from the next compartment.

"Well, someone sounds excited."

He thinks for a moment.

"'Makes a good point though, I wonder what house I'll be in. What about you folk?"

Imbasel
2011-05-17, 12:21 PM
Rachel peers up from her book and says " Well my mom and dad were from Ravenclaw and I love reading books and learning magic. It sounds like a great House to be in. That and they actually value smarts. I just hope that they will let me try out for the Quidditch team."

Denomar
2011-05-17, 12:37 PM
"That'd be Grand eh? I didn't think they let first years try out though."

Tarquin fishes beneath his seat for his trunk. Pops it open and grabs a much battered copy of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. He cracks it open and starts flipping through the pages.

Savannah
2011-05-17, 02:05 PM
On the platform outside, the older students wearing badges are hurrying the stragglers onto the train and into compartments. (I believe this includes Dorian; pick either the compartment with Cal and James or Kayli, Rachel and Tarquin.)

The train whistles again, signaling that it's about to leave. The crowd of adults still left on the platform are waving to their children on the train. One of the girls who had been chasing the white cat sprints for the train, finally having caught it, and barely makes it on as the Hogwarts Express pulls out of the station.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-17, 02:14 PM
Cal chuckles, It's OK, I'm sort of in shock myself. I'm not to sure about housing though. I agree with you for the most part. Slytherin sounds OK, but I've heard some awful rumors. I suppose Ravenclaw. Cal pauses for breath, It looks like the trains about to take off soon ...

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 02:28 PM
Without him realising, a sudden jolt of excitement pulsed through him like lightning. He was getting too happy for his own safety, and a masssive grin stretched from one side of his face to the other.

"You know, this time last month i was preparing myself to go to some boring local secondary school, and now this has happened i just...i just still can't believe it".

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-17, 03:11 PM
I know what you mean! My parent's think I'm going to some fancy Muggle school. They'll sure be surprised when I come home for Christmas. Cal smiles to himself, he hadn't had a good conversation with another boy his age in a long time. Too long.

Obrysii
2011-05-17, 03:11 PM
Bumping around, the young Dorian - a meager looking child - was pushed into the train car with the other three, including the half-veela that, as with so others, immediately caught his eye.

"Oh, um .... sorry - I...." he mumbled, "They - they pushed me into this car...d-do you mind if I, um....sit with you guys?"

Ilriyn
2011-05-17, 03:18 PM
"Sure, come on in!" Kayli cheerfully says as she points to the empty seat. She points to each of the children in the car in turn. "I'm Kayli, she's Rachel, and he's Tarquin. We just met a few minutes ago on the platform. What's your name?"

After catching the new boy's name, Kayli turns to the others and brightly says, "I'm not sure which house I would like to be in. Well, I'm actually not that familiar with the school at all. What were the houses again?

Denomar
2011-05-17, 03:29 PM
"Montague and Capulet" Tarquin absentmindedly mumbles. "Two houses, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona where we lay our scene...."

He trails off.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 03:56 PM
James laughed at this."Wow, what will they say when they find out?"

Obrysii
2011-05-17, 03:58 PM
"I just hope I'm not in - in Gryffindor. They seem really athletic and I'm...." Dorian said, frowning, "I'll probably end in Hufflepuff. I hear average people go there."

One of the books he had was an overview of Hogwarts.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-17, 04:21 PM
James laughed at this."Wow, what will they say when they find out?"

I'm not really sure. Cal began to chew on his lip. My parent's maid is a Squib see. There these people who should be magic, but just aren't. I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong before I tell them about it. Don't want to be sent off to a loony-bin. Cal laughs an awkward laugh, before looking James in the face and quieting himself.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 05:09 PM
"I'm sure they wouldn't do that. My mum nearly fainted when someone turned up and told us i was a wizard", James chuckled at this before reaching into his bag in the luggage rack above and removed from it his copy of "The Tales of Beadle the Bard".

Imbasel
2011-05-17, 05:14 PM
Rachel smiles and closes her book for a moment and turns to Kayli pausing her voice becoming steady she says " Well there are four Houses in Hogwarts. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.

Ravenclaw is generally where in my opinion the best students go. They are known for the intelligence and cleverness and are often considered the brains at the school.

Gryffindor's are genearlly considered those with the best heart and also rather foolish. They tend to go off and do rather reckless things.

Hufflepuff's tend to be your average student not quite falling into any of the other groups although their loyalty an stubborness is something my mother spoke often of.

Slytherins tend to be crafty, sneaky, and always ambitious for more power. The tend to do some rather mean things and Voldermort was once from that house."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 05:27 PM
Listen check to hear what Rachel just said through the other side of the compartment wall
[roll0]

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-17, 05:33 PM
James? Whatcha doing? Oh... Cal brings his head to the wall and joins in.

I'll join in on a Listen check to hear what Rachel just said through the other side of the compartment wall [roll0]

Obrysii
2011-05-17, 05:33 PM
"My dad was really angry," Dorian said quietly. "He felt I didn't deserve to go, but I guess Mum decided otherwise."

He frowned, and looked out the window into the rest of the train.

Savannah
2011-05-17, 05:34 PM
Cal can hear her plainly, but James can only catch a few muffled words.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-17, 05:56 PM
"What did she just say?" James pressed his ear closer to the wall as to hear a bit better."Who's Voldemort?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-17, 06:04 PM
Something about him being from Slytherin. Cal puckers his face. Maybe we should join them?

Imbasel
2011-05-17, 09:05 PM
Rachel leans her head forward and asks Dorian "Why was your dad so angry and mean?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-18, 12:16 AM
Something about him being from Slytherin. Cal puckers his face. Maybe we should join them?

"Good idea, i couln't hear a single word", James grabbed his bag from the luggage rack, stuffed his book inside and opened the compartment door. He and Cal left the room and proceeded next door, where the first thing they noticed was that the compartmemt was near-full.

James knocked on the door and waited to be beckoned in.

Denomar
2011-05-18, 01:06 AM
....Slytherins tend to be crafty, sneaky, and always ambitious for more power. The tend to do some rather mean things and Voldermort was once from that house."

Tarquin snaps rigid in his seat. "Oy! Leave 'im out of this. My Grand Uncle Iggy told me we shouldn't judge them for that. Sides, some of us are still a bit sensitive o'er him."

Tarquin is reproachful rather than livid but still obviously upset. Realizing that he may have been a bit harsh though he sighs and continues.

Take 10 Knowledge (History). Common knowledge so nothing important for a result of 12

"Look, long story short. There was this man. Well, more of a nutter. Ok fine he was stone dead bloody Mad. He got it in his head that he was going to rule the world and a lot of people ended up dying over it. He's dead now though. And me Grand Uncle always said I should leave him at that."

The ringing silence in the wake of his outburst is interrupted by the soft knock on the door.

Obrysii
2011-05-18, 07:44 AM
Dorian didn't answer - just looking down at the ground with shimmering eyes. He wasn't sure - his mind swirled with confusion, and he hoped that Hogwarts would help to focus his mind, to answer his questions on what he was.

When the knock came he only faintly heard it - glancing quickly up before instinctively raising a hand to his shirt's collar, where just below his snake was hiding, in order to protect his beloved friend.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-18, 09:16 AM
James mouthed the words "Is...It...Alright...To...Come...In?" hoping the people within the compartment would allow them access.

Imbasel
2011-05-18, 09:30 AM
Rachel was about to make a quick retort to Tarquin, but stops at the sudden rap rap of the door. She smiles and beckons with her hand saying in a slightly raised voice "Of course you can come in."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-18, 10:14 AM
"Hi, i hope we're not interrupting but we couldn't help but overhear what was said about the four houses", James looked at Cal before continuing, "umm, my name's James and this is Cal".

But it was now getting difficult to speak, for James' eyes had found those that belonged to the most beautiful girl he had seen. Silvery-blonde hair and glowing skin, James found it hard to remove her from his gaze.

Ilriyn
2011-05-18, 01:49 PM
Kayli did not hear the soft knock on the door, absorbed as she was in listening to the conversation. However, she follows Rachel's eyes up to the door, and then enthusiastically greets the two newcomers. "Hello! Yes, please come on in. I'm sure that we can fit us all in here fairly comfortably." As she says this, she slides over on the seat, making room for one more. She motions for the nearest boy, James, to come sit down.

Turning back towards Rachel, Kayli says, "Hmm, it sounds like Ravenclaw is the best house. I don't know if I'll get into it though; I don't think I'm smart enough."

Kayli then glances over at Tarquin. "So you mean that there are evil wizards too? Are they common?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-18, 02:03 PM
James sat down next to the girl he rudly gazed upon. Realising what he was doing, he looked away from her and listened in to their conversation. Feeling awkward about being there, he now wished he remained back in the compartment next door.

Denomar
2011-05-18, 02:10 PM
"Common? How would I know. We DO have a class called 'Defense against the Dark Arts though...."

Tarquin passes his hand in front of Jame's face.

"Er, are you alright mate?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-18, 02:18 PM
Cal took a seat next to Dorian. Briefly giving Kayli a glance.My this cart is crowded. Maybe it would've been better to have stayed where we were. Cal then mentally reprimanded himself. No, it'll be all right.

I'm not sure. These dark wizards sound pretty scary. I heard they almost overthrew the wizarding government.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-18, 02:29 PM
James looked up at Tarquin. "Hm? Yeah, i'm okay, it's just, well, the name Voldemort sounds familiar, that's all, and i know nothing of the wizarding world.". He then looked up at the others to see what were their reaction to this piece of news.

Imbasel
2011-05-18, 04:42 PM
Rachel gives a small wave and says "My name is Rachel and personally I think Ravenclaw is the way to go.

I know we do take a class to learn how to defend against Dark Magic and my daddy was an Auror. He was really brave."

At this she looks slightly lost and crestfallen as if she is remembering happier times.

Obrysii
2011-05-18, 07:14 PM
Dorian moved over slightly to give room to the boy sitting next to him. He smiled faintly - people didn't think he was a freak. At least yet - and he liked that.

"I'm Dorian. I-I just hope I'll get into any house," he said simply, "I don't want to turn out to be a - er - a squib."

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-18, 08:04 PM
Cal goes pale before color quickly flushes into his face and yelling, How do you know about Squibs!? Cal retreats. I'm sorry. It's just that I'm friends with a squib and ... Cal trails off, feeling foolish about his needless outburst.

Obrysii
2011-05-18, 08:36 PM
"Mm," Dorian said uneasily, lying: "I read about them in one of the magic books."

Mythweavers is down, so this is guessing from memory:
Bluff: [roll0]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-19, 07:10 AM
James looked round to everyone "Sorry to interrupt, but who is this Voldemort person?".

Imbasel
2011-05-19, 09:20 AM
Rachel's face turns dark and she says "He was a dark wizard the worst the world has seen. My dad was an Auror and always said that Dark Wizards are the reasons why we aren't safe."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-19, 11:16 AM
"Oh". A cold shiver ran down James' spine when he was told this. He couldn't think why a dark wizard would sound familiar to him when, until a month a go, he knew nothing of this world. Unless you count fairy tales and other stories, but they were just that; stories. Or were they? He thought to himself.

Denomar
2011-05-19, 12:26 PM
"And that's my queue to change the subject I think."

Tarquin's smile is strained.

"So, read any good books recently?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-19, 01:40 PM
James did the best he could to wear a smile, "I think i've read so many it's hard to keep count, although my favourite will always be the Saga of Darren Shan. In fact, i've got a copy of the first three books with me". James opened his bag and withdrew three thin paper-bound books and gave them to Tarquin to look at.

Denomar
2011-05-19, 02:07 PM
"Wicked! We'll have to do a swap at some time mate."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-19, 02:50 PM
"Okay. What books do you enjoy reading?"

Denomar
2011-05-19, 03:00 PM
"Oh. Just about everything. I just wish my Trunk wasn't so Small." He gestures to the trunk below his seat. It is overflowing with books. "I'd have brought more but they wouldn't all fit"

You can refer to Tarquin's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=297721) character sheet to find out about his library at the moment

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-19, 03:10 PM
"If we're in the same house, i think the first thing we'll have to do is sort through your collection" James jokingly remarked, "actually, i think i'll write to mum and see if she can send me some more of my books. Would they allow that, don't you think?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-19, 04:50 PM
Totally. I hear that Hogwarts has some sort of fancy mail system. Getting the address could be hard though. I wonder who, no, what, delivers all the way out there.

Wherever there is Cal thinks to himself.

Ilriyn
2011-05-19, 11:15 PM
Kayli sits quietly as the others talked about their books; she had never been a big reader. However, one of the upper level textbooks, Unfogging the Future, had interested her when she was shopping, and she hadn't had the opportunity to look at it yet. She pulls it out from her trunk, and begins to read as the others continue to talk, though it is evident that she is beginning to doze off.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-20, 01:02 AM
James looked round to Kayli, "What book's that?" he asked, trying his best to get to know everyone.

Obrysii
2011-05-20, 08:27 AM
Dorian sat quietly, watching the others - trying to determine if they were legitimate or if this was just another act to gain his trust just to tear it apart. He'd had enough of that. He couldn't trust anybody.

Yet setting here with all these eager kids - just like him - he seemed a little more comfortable. However, he withdrew from the conversation, wrapping his robes up around him as he sat in a corner. It was cooler here as they approached Scotland - he was used to the far south of England.

Denomar
2011-05-20, 12:51 PM
Tarquin closes the book with a satisfied sigh.

"Sounds like a plan. Wake me when we get there"

He then opens the book, drops it on his face and leans back into the window.

....Blushing furiously beneath the covers.

Imbasel
2011-05-20, 02:21 PM
Rachel buries her face into her book shutting outside all noises and attempts to learn more about the magical world of witchcraft and wizardry.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-20, 02:32 PM
Realising and understanding that Kayli was too engrossed in her book, James returned to looking into space, before hearing a small grumbling sound.

"I'm starting to feel hungry. When will we be able to get some grub?"

Obrysii
2011-05-20, 02:35 PM
Dorian perked up from his semi-slumber when there was a mention of food. If there was one thing he did, it was enjoy food here and there. He wondered if Hogwarts offered a magical cooking class - and enjoyed the thought of that for a moment.

"I'm hungry too," he said quietly.

Ilriyn
2011-05-20, 03:55 PM
"Huh?" Kayli says as she looks up from a particularly engrossing page. Brushing a strand of hair back from her eye, she continues, "Oh, sorry. The book is called Unfogging the Future. Apparently it's a textbook for a higher level class at Hogwarts; I just got it because the wizard who took me shopping told me I should get something for myself, and this looked very interesting for some reason."

Imbasel
2011-05-20, 08:53 PM
Rachel looks up and her stomach gives a loud audible growl at the mention of food. She looks around and says "Any idea what they do for food around here? Do they swing by or do we have to go and find it?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-21, 02:11 PM
Realising he would have to wait until he reached Hogwarts for some food, James laid his head against the wall and closed his eyes.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 03:18 PM
Not long after you all settle in for the trip, there is a knock at your compartment's door.

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 03:23 PM
Rachel looks up from her book and slides open the door wondering who it is.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-21, 03:37 PM
The sudden knock on the door startled James. As he shook his eyes open, he banged his head on the wall.

"Ouch!"

His eyes immediately darted towards the compartment door.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 03:48 PM
Opening the door reveals a plump witch pushing a food cart. "Hungry, dears?"

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 03:54 PM
Rachel smiles and eagerly puts down her books and reaches into her sash which contains some money for food. Her smile becomes amazingly wide and she says "Sure what do you have? I'm starving."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-21, 03:59 PM
Constitution check to stave off hunger
[roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-21, 04:08 PM
She has a couple of types of sandwiches, but the majority of her offerings are various candies and other sweets. The prices are very reasonable.

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 04:10 PM
Rachel smiles and pulls out some coins saying "Can I have a caudron cake and a chocolate frog for each of us?"

OOC: Is it ok to presume I have that much money. I'm hardly saying Rachel is loaded but she has all the money available to her that her parents had in their vaults I am presuming.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 04:28 PM
You get your food, and the witch asks, "Anything else?"

OOC: Yes, I'm assuming that all of you have enough cash on you to buy lunch.

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 04:55 PM
"How long until we reach Hogwarts?"

Savannah
2011-05-21, 05:00 PM
"It will be most of the afternoon. I'd guess about 4 more hours."

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 05:04 PM
Rachel smiles and says "Any advice before we go to the school?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-21, 05:10 PM
James turned bright red.

""Oh thanks Rachel.

He looked at the food given to him. It seemed strange that wizards and witches have these weird stuff they eat. James opened his Chocolate Frog, but before he had a chance to think, the frog jumped out of the packet and started to leap across the floor.

"woops, sorry. I didn't know they could do that".

James looked at the bottom of the empty box and saw a card with a solemn looking person on the front.

"Who's Severus Snape?" he asked.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 05:30 PM
"He used to be a professor at Hogwarts, love. And as for any advice...I'm afraid I just work on the train. But I'm sure you'll be fine."

(Unless someone else who's not on now wants to talk to her, the witch excuses herself to continue along the train.)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-21, 05:37 PM
"Okay, thanks".

James sat quietly eating his couldron cake, his face still slightly pink from Rachel's kind jesture.

Imbasel
2011-05-21, 05:47 PM
Rachel smiles and mutters a quite thanks to the woman slipping a sickle into the cart for her when she is turned around.

To Jame's reaction Rachel shrugs her shoulders and says " No problem at all."

With that she opens her chocolate frog quickly grabbing it. Then she scarfs it down hungrily and looks at the card. It says Harry Potter and she quickly reads the back of it.

She then takes out her Standard Book of Spells and begins flicking through until she finds the spell Lumos. She then takes her wand out and begins the proper hand movements eager to see what she can learn before school even if she won't actually try casting the spell.

OOC: I would like to see whether or not it is possible for Rachel to learn a spell simply from reading it in a book? If so then after a half hour so so of studying I would like to try casting it. Rachel is trying to amass as much magical knowledge as soon as possible and she would like to do so as soon as possible. In canon supports this because Hermione did learn how to cast spells before Hogwarts, but it is your call.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-21, 09:54 PM
Well, gee thanks. Cal opens up the packaging of the frog, so that the frog falls into his mouth upon opening. The frog quickly jumps into Cal's mouth. Tis ing 's ovin' in mm mth. After a few minutes of chewing, Cal forces the thing down his mouth.

That was ...Interesting. Cal then looks at the card. Neville Longbottom. Cal scratches his head. What a horrible name. Cal looks into Neville's eyes, something about them seemed so, so, tortured. Poor guy.

Obrysii
2011-05-22, 08:02 AM
The eleven year old in Dorian came out, as he giggled slightly, "Long-bottom."

He saw the eyes - the same tiredness, the same torment, that his own showed - and he quickly looked out the window.

He hoped he'd end up not like that here.

Denomar
2011-05-22, 01:04 PM
muffled beneath the heavy book. Tarquin mumbles. "Do I smell chocolate?"

Savannah
2011-05-22, 02:30 PM
I'm fine with you trying to cast a spell now, Imbasel.

Imbasel
2011-05-22, 05:10 PM
Rachel after reading for a while says Hey guys look at this. She waves her wand says says Lumos her brow furrowed in concentration.

Her brow however turns into one of tears as her wand fails to do anything and she sighs and pours her face back into the book.

OOC: Thank you very much also I must meet a DC of 10.
Roll: [roll0]

Ilriyn
2011-05-22, 05:33 PM
Kayli gratefully accepts Rachel's gift, though after watching the others struggle with their chocolate frogs, she decides to only eat the cake. "Thanks again, Rachel," Kayli says between bites, "This is delicious."

As she finishes eating, Kayli begins to doze off again. She is wakened by Rachel, and watches curiously as she attempts to case a spell. Seeing how disappointed Rachel was at not succeeding, she reaches into her pocket and grabs a small handkerchief, which she offers to Rachel. "It's alright Rachel," Kayli says reassuringly, "I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to learn everything once we get to Hogwarts. I'm amazed that you can understand the book well enough to even try and cast a spell. I didn't get a thing when I looked at it."

Imbasel
2011-05-22, 05:46 PM
Rachel gives a small sniff and nods and goes back to reading says " I know I just wanted to succeed so badly. I felt like I was so very close and it was just out of reach."

OOC: Rachel will read again for 15 minutes which is all the time she needs, but she won't try casting immediately but will rather wait until she is alone to try again.

Savannah
2011-05-22, 08:00 PM
After about an hour more, in which the train continues to pass nearly empty fields on its way north, you suddenly hear a girl shriek in....outrage? horror? You're not quite sure, but it came from not that far away and is immediately followed by what sounds like an angry argument.

Imbasel
2011-05-22, 08:05 PM
Rachel snaps up from reading the book as she hears a scream. A scream that echos throughout her heart as the scream she emitted when she found out that her parents were dead.

She whips up her wand and looks outside the door and as she does so she gathers her courage and says Lumos. A bright light shines and she smiles, but her face becomes serious and then she says "Guys we need to see who this is."

OOC: How dark is it I'm presuming we've been riding for a while now and she is trying to cast it again because she wants to do her best to light the way.

[roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-22, 08:07 PM
You do manage to light the wand, but it's only 3:30 or so in the afternoon, so it's not really needed.

Imbasel
2011-05-22, 08:15 PM
Rachel turns her head and focuses on all the sounds around her trying to find out where the cries are coming from.

OOC: Oops I thought it was later in the evening my bad. Anyway, here is a listen check to see if I can hear more from what direction the sound is coming from.

[roll0]

Denomar
2011-05-22, 09:16 PM
At the scream Tarquin jerks upright with a start. Knocking the Complete Works of William Shakespeare off his face and directly into his lap. Wincing in pain his eyes come to rest on Rachel's lit wand.

"Oy. Not so loud. Good job with your wand and all that, but some mates are trying to rest in here."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-23, 02:44 AM
James hadn't been paying attention to what's been going on, he had been looking out the window at the fields going by.

As the arguement echoed all around, James almost jumped out of his skin as he looked around to see who was shouting.

OOC: I'll join in on a Listen check as well hear what the arguement is all about.
[roll0]

Obrysii
2011-05-23, 06:38 AM
The shriek brought Dorian to a high-backed position, his eyes steeled over as if in a fight-or-flight mechanism. For some reason he was reminded of the cries of squirrels when they're attacked by hawks, and this hardened his resolve.

He liked squirrels. And he hated to hear that kind of scream.

He did not know enough to produce his wand - nor indeed did he know any spells, but he looked around, "S-should we look?"

Denomar
2011-05-23, 12:14 PM
Tarquin gets up and moves to the door. "Well, if it wasn't you..."

He slides it open. "Then let's go find out who it was. This is Exciting!"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-23, 02:20 PM
James wanted to get up and have a look where the screaming came from, but he felt intruding on other people's business. But wasn't that what i was doing earlier?, he thought to himself, I had listened in to someone else's conversation, why don't i get up and do it again?

James looked up in Tarquin's direction and nodded slowly before getting up and following him out of the compartment.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-23, 02:37 PM
You know, I don't really think this is any of our business. Cal seems to be the only one thinking that way though, so he joins James and Tarquin out in the hall.

Listen Check: [roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-23, 03:15 PM
Rachel The sounds came from a compartment further up the train, although not too far from you - probably two compartments up. Beyond that, you can't make out what is being said.
JamesYou can't tell where the sounds are coming from.
Cal You think the sounds are coming from a compartment further up the train.

When you open the compartment door, you see students peering out of every other compartment, also clearly looking for the source of the shout. One of the two older boys looking out from the compartment directly across from you meets your eyes and mouths "What was that?"

Obrysii
2011-05-23, 03:25 PM
Dorian leaned his head out - he wanted to be 'one of the guys' and so he followed with them. He tried to search for the source of the scream.

Listen check: [roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-23, 03:28 PM
Dorian The sounds came from a compartment further up the train, although not too far from you - probably two compartments up. Beyond that, you can't make out what is being said.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-23, 03:51 PM
James shrugged his shoulders at the older boy's question. "Dunno. Can't hear a thing what's going on".

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-23, 04:25 PM
Well I heard some more noise coming from over there. Cal points further up the train and begins walking in the direction he had just pointed. He then turns around and states, Well, we're out here now, so we might as well see what's up.

Denomar
2011-05-23, 05:04 PM
Tarquin shrugs at the older boys and begins walking up the train car looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-23, 07:26 PM
The commotion seems to be coming from a compartment two up from yours, on the same side as yours. As you're stepping into the aisle, a girl about your age comes out of the compartment, looking frantically around.

Imbasel
2011-05-23, 07:28 PM
Rachel whispers the word Nox and her wand goes out as she realizes she doesn't need the light. She then gets up wand at the ready and follows Tarquin. Seeing the worried girl in front of her she says "What was that all about?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-23, 07:41 PM
Cal hangs back as Rachel and Tarquin go to check out the commotion in the other box. Leaning on the wall, he wonders what more could go wrong on this excitable first day.

Denomar
2011-05-23, 09:39 PM
Tarquin tries not to look to curious as he says in a bright clear voice. "Hi! How's it going? Isn't this train totally Wicked? It's like something straight out of The Polar Express! Except instead of Father Christmas we're going to Hogwarts!"

Diplomacy [roll0]

Ilriyn
2011-05-23, 10:50 PM
Kayli curiously follows the others outside, a little surprised at the range of their reactions to the odd scream. Upon seeing the frantic girl, Kayli steps with a concerned look on her face, but steps back and stands by Cal after Rachel and Tarquin start talking with her. Though she does raise an eyebrow at Tarquin's comments. Whispering to Cal in an undertone, she says, "Are wizarding people always this.. excitable?"

Savannah
2011-05-23, 11:05 PM
The girl looks at Tarquin as if he'd grown a second head, then turns to Rachel. She's clearly upset, and speaks rapidly "She let him out! Deliberately! And opened the door! Now I'll never find him and, and, and I don't know what I'll do without Snowball!"

Behind her, in the compartment that she came from, two girls are arguing. It's hard to make out what the arguement is about, as they're speaking over one another in their effort to make their points. Judging by their body language, the older -- who looks to be the sister of the girl you are speaking to, as they have the same curly brown hair and freckles -- is accusing the younger of something. The younger, a pretty, black-haired girl about your age, is denying whatever it was.

Denomar
2011-05-23, 11:13 PM
"....Snowball?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-23, 11:59 PM
"Are wizarding people always this.. excitable?"

Cal shrugs before smiling at Kayli, I'm afraid I don't have much ... ah ... experience in this department myself. Call then takes a step in Tarquin's direction. My ... friend here has a good question. What's snowball? We can't help you look for it if we don't know what it is.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-24, 12:56 AM
James decided to keep his mouth shut, choosing to stand between Rachel and Tarquin, and Cal and Kayli; listening to what was going on.

Obrysii
2011-05-24, 12:00 PM
"Snowball? If," he said, thinking about that name, "it's a pet, I'm sure it's on the train and can find its way. Ask one of the wizards, I'm sure they can help!"

Dorian was just guessing - he wasn't very good in social situations compared to some of his 'group' but he wanted to help all the same. He shuddered to think what he'd do, though, if he lost Oliver.

Savannah
2011-05-24, 02:16 PM
She sniffles a little. "Snowball is my cat. Did you see him when you came out?" she asks hopefully.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-24, 02:29 PM
James shook his head, "I didn't see any animal come past us". He looked round at Cal and Kayli, "did you guys see anything?"

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-24, 02:37 PM
I haven't really looked for anything so no, I'm afraid I haven't. Cal then makes a sweeping gaze down the hall.

Obrysii
2011-05-25, 09:00 AM
Dorian looked the opposite direction of Cal, searching for the cat with a strange understanding. He felt a sick anxiety in his stomach over the thought of losing a beloved friend . . .

"We'll look for it," he said firmly. Moreso than he'd shown on the entire train ride. For once he had something to be firm about: losing one's beloved was something he just couldn't handle. "What does it look like precisely?"

Spot check: [roll0]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-25, 09:49 AM
James joins in with the search.

Spot check
[roll0]

OOC: Im sorry, but the rolls are getting ridiculous. That's three times now i've rolled low :smallmad:

Denomar
2011-05-25, 10:39 AM
Seeing practically half the car jump up and start looking for a cat Tarquin tries to think of a way to make himself useful. At last like a light dawning on in his head he says.

"Oh! Wait here. I think I've got something...."

Hustling back into his compartment Tarquin rifles through his chest until he comes up with a small book in a homemade fleece book cover. It is a copy of Tales of Beedle and the Bard. Returning to the still visibly upset girl he gestures around the train car.

"With so many people looking I'm sure someone will find your Cat. And its not like she's late for a date with the Queen of Hearts, there's only so far she could go in a train. How about we go and read some little stories and help you calm down a mite. I know that whenever my Ma used to read me these it always made me feel better."

Tarquin smiles.

"What's your name anyway? We've all been in such a tizzy over poor Snowball I forgot to ask! My name is Tarquin Moore, I'm from Toon*, and I love books! I hope I didn't come off as too esoteric when I first opened my mouth back there but sometimes I can't help myself. Its just that this whole trip with Hogwarts and Magic and an amazing train is just so Adventurous."

Hoisting the book Tarquin's smile grows ever wider. "Like it! My Ma knitted it for me ages ago. She said that I loved the book so much and that I shouldn't go dragging it around in winter without one. 'Cause it'd get too cold."

Taking 10 on a diplomacy check (Result 12). Not rushed, I hope I added enough text that reading all of Tarquin's spoken words aloud at a reasonable pace will take at least a full minute to read.

*Toon is another name for Newcastle

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-05-27, 11:16 AM
James tried his hardest to look for the cat.

OOC: I'm going on holiday for a week so i would like James be taken over by Savannah as a NPC until i get back.

Savannah
2011-05-27, 04:02 PM
OOC: Sorry, all, I've been feeling sick and not feeling like posting.

The girl smiles and seems to relax a little at Tarquin's speech. "I'm Nessa. You're funny, you know that?" She turns to Dorian "Oh, Snowball is white, of course. Can you imagine naming a cat any other color 'Snowball'?"

CalYou don't see any cats.
DorianYou catch a glimpse of white fur peeking out of one of the compartments' luggage racks.
Meanwhile, the argument behind Nessa ends with the younger girl shoving past you and heading towards a compartment further back on the train. As she passes the group, she gives you all a very amused look.

OOC: Im sorry, but the rolls are getting ridiculous. That's three times now i've rolled low :smallmad:
Sorry, die roller must have it in for you. I swear that thing is sentient and has a wicked sense of humor...

Imbasel
2011-05-28, 05:55 AM
Rachel says "Let me see if I can spot Snowball" She then begins moving around the cabin trying to see it from all angles.

OOC: Roll [roll0]

Obrysii
2011-05-28, 07:52 AM
Steeled eyes led Dorian's gaze upwards, and he pointed, "Up! In the luggage rack!"

Savannah
2011-05-28, 03:03 PM
Rachel You spot what looks like a white tail in the luggage rack of the compartment across the way.

(I may not have said this clearly before, so just so that it's clear) Dorian is pointing to the luggage rack in a compartment across the way. The boy standing in the doorway looks surprised and glances up at the rack as well.

Imbasel
2011-05-29, 06:33 AM
After seeing a white tail in a nearby luggage rack Rachel politely goes to the compartment she saw it in. Opening the door she says "Excuse me, but the person next door lost their cat and I think it got into here. Is it ok if I go check to the top of the compartment?"

Rachel flashes her eyelashes and stares deep into the boys eyes trying to convince him to do so.

OOC: If he says yes then Rachel will check to see if Snowball is there.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 10:22 PM
The boy blinks, but quickly stands aside to let Rachel in.

Examining the luggage rack, Rachel finds that there is indeed a white cat pressed in between two suitcases. It appears agitated, however, and hisses when it sees her.

Imbasel
2011-06-02, 02:23 PM
Rachel backs slightly away from the hissing cat and says "Easy there Snowball easy. Come down here ok?"

She moves slowly towards snowball trying to appear non-threatening.

Obrysii
2011-06-02, 09:58 PM
Dorian had remained largely quiet after he had pointed out the cat; as far as he could tell, it was in safer hands than his - and he'd rather the cat not get a scent of Oliver ... he shivered, clutching the robe pocket the snake was sleeping in.

"It'll all be okay soon," he told the girl.

Savannah
2011-06-02, 10:11 PM
Rachel, roll Handle Animal.

The girl is bouncing up and down with excitement "Did you find him?"

Denomar
2011-06-03, 01:58 PM
In the meanwhile Tarquin is introducing himself to the other occupants of the compartment. He seems especially proud of his book's cover protector/snuggy.

Savannah
2011-06-03, 02:46 PM
Which compartment? The one that the girl came from or the one that the cat's in?

Denomar
2011-06-04, 02:30 AM
Tarquin is introducing himself to the two other girls in Nessa's compartment. He brightly announces "I think the Wizard and the Hopping Pot ought to be a nice one to start off with!"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-04, 04:56 AM
James continued to remain silent; choosing to watch what was going on.

Savannah
2011-06-04, 03:48 PM
The younger girl from the compartment left a minute ago, brushing past your group with an amused look.

The older girl introduces herself as Mary and seems interested in Tarquin's chatter.

Imbasel
2011-06-05, 10:47 AM
Rachel mutters softly "Come here Snowball."

OOC: Roll Handle Animal [roll0]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-05, 12:42 PM
"Be careful Rachel", James warns; watching her closely, "some cats i know can be really spiteful".

Savannah
2011-06-05, 02:35 PM
Despite James' warning, Snowball seems to settle at Rachel's soothing tone, and he allows himself to be lifted down. He's quite a big cat, and there's an awkward bobble when he shifts his weight suddenly, but Rachel manages to get him down without dropping him or falling over.

Nessa squeals with delight and hurries forward, arms outstretched for the cat. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! He's usually so hard to find, that's why I was so worried, but you found him and caught him so easily!"

Denomar
2011-06-05, 03:14 PM
"Wow....That's a big cat."

Imbasel
2011-06-05, 04:47 PM
Her voice muffled by fur Rachel says "Here Snowball is no problem. Snowball is actually a sweetheart aren't you?" With that she scratches Snowball behind the ears and then hands Snowball over to Nessa.

Obrysii
2011-06-06, 08:45 AM
"Wow!" Dorian said as the large cat was found, "What breed is that thing?"

Savannah
2011-06-06, 02:45 PM
Snowball gives Rachel a long-suffering look as Nessa takes him and hugs him. "I'm not sure what breed he is. We found him a few years ago outside."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-07, 04:22 PM
"The main thing is your cat is safely back where she should be", said James, highlighting the fact that all is well. "I'm gonna go and change into my robes, saves me doing it at the last minute". With that, James returned to their compartment and roll the blind down on the door and windows.

Obrysii
2011-06-08, 11:17 AM
"That's why I changed at the station before I got on the train," Dorian said with a smile - before quieting up. He didn't want to insult anyone, and he felt he might have. "I guess I'll back to our car. I like your cat."

Savannah
2011-06-08, 03:09 PM
With the excitement over, everyone who was watching has returned to their cars. Nessa nods to James as she's stuffing Snowball back into his carrier. Once she gets him in, she hesitates, then leans close to Dorian and whispers "Watch out for Lynette, the other girl in our car. She let Snowball out deliberately!"

Denomar
2011-06-09, 01:39 PM
Tarquin isn't in robes either. As James pulls the blinds on the compartment down he scratches his head. "Well. I don't want to interrupt him. I can always change before we get there I suppose."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-09, 02:42 PM
As James left the compartment, fully robed, he noticed Tarquin standing nearby. "Oh sorry, i didn't mean to abandon everyone, i can be a very private person sometimes".

Denomar
2011-06-09, 05:19 PM
"Mate, why would I want to watch you put on robes? 'Specially when there's good books to keep me company."

Tarquin glances around at everyone else.

"Er, and you all of course."

Savannah
2011-06-12, 01:03 AM
You all get changed without any further incidents. Some time after you've settled back into your car, one of the older boys wearing a badge that you saw on the platform comes by, sticking his head into each compartment. Now that you're closer, you can see that the badge has a "P" on it. He looks pleased that you're all in your robes and tells you that you're going to be arriving at Hogwarts very soon.

Imbasel
2011-06-12, 08:42 AM
After putting on her robes Rachel grins nervously and says "This is finally it guys we're almost at Hogwarts!"

OOC: Sorry I haven't posted in a few days I was having laptop woes.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-12, 08:50 AM
Cal is sitting as straight as he ever has, his fingers fidgeting. I know, I can't believe it! Cal looks down at his feet before looking back up. I just ... I guess I haven't seen any actual magic yet.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-12, 11:39 AM
James was becoming more and more reclusive. He too were excited about Hogwarts, however he just grinned and nodded in agreement. He still didn't know how others thought of him. Making new friends was something James couldn't say he was good at.

Obrysii
2011-06-13, 07:43 AM
Dorian too was withdrawing, now in a corner of the car he had originally sat down in. He held his small snake close, and hoped - prayed - that they wouldn't take his friend away from him.

He was nearly petrified. What if he was sent back home, a fake wizard? Or something worse - some monster? He wasn't sure if he could deal with his family.

Imbasel
2011-06-16, 12:31 PM
Rachel sighed and got her stuff together. Nervously, she stared out the window waiting for her future to come to her.

Savannah
2011-06-17, 10:25 PM
September 1, 5:10 pm

The train slowly glides to a halt. Around you, students are sliding their compartment doors open and hurrying out into the corridor.

You're swept up in the bustle as soon as you step out, and find yourselves standing on a train platform a few minutes later. The other students are hurrying along, most looking as if they know exactly where they're going.

Above the chatter of the students, you hear an adult's voice shout, "First years over here!"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-18, 12:07 AM
"looks like someone is referring to us" James said, half excited, half worried; worried that he wasn't going to fit in and be forced to go back home: a life of dullness and boredom.

Denomar
2011-06-18, 01:13 AM
Trying to get the ascot on his robes just right Tarquin was doing his best not to fidget. Gathering his trunk he moved towards the voice.

The train station was about what he expected. Blimey they were in the middle of nowhere in Scotland if the train ride had put them anywhere near where he expected. Although his mother had warned him to expect anything. So who knew?

Imbasel
2011-06-18, 08:25 AM
Bunching up her robes Rachel nervously moves forward to that adult voice with her two new friends.

Finally, came the time that she would enter the school for witchcraft and wizardry.

Savannah
2011-06-21, 08:58 PM
You, and a group of fellow students, gather around a rather squat wizard carrying a lantern. "That all of you? Well, come on, then."

Not waiting for a reply, he leads you down a steep, narrow path, made even more difficult by the fact that his lantern is the only light. When it finally levels off, you find yourselves on the shores of a vast black lake. Across it you see a castle, its windows sparkling with light.

The wizard pauses to let you take in the sight before pointing to a little group of boats. "Everybody in."

(OOC: make a Spot check, please)

Imbasel
2011-06-21, 09:07 PM
Rachel smiles nervously as she follows the rather squat dour looking wizard. She looks at the boat and whispers "C'mon guys lets try and find an empty one."

OOC: Spot [roll0]

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-22, 01:47 AM
Cal had just walked along with the rest of the group, not really aware of his surroundings until he came to the lake. Huh? What? Oh, right ... Hey Dorian, how about you and me get a boat together?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-22, 03:00 AM
James looked between Cal and Rachel, "erm, who should i get into a boat with?".

Spot check: [roll0]

Obrysii
2011-06-23, 07:37 AM
Dorian got into a boat without thinking - he hadn't expected anyone to sit next to him, and he held his hidden pet tight to him: it was cold out here.

Spot: [roll0]

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-23, 08:14 AM
James followed his new friends onto the same boat.

Denomar
2011-06-23, 02:39 PM
Tarquin carefully makes his way down the bank as well. The abrupt short man who had only barely greeted them was the farthest thing from his mind so intent on his surroundings is he.

Tarquin will actually take ten on his spot check. A 16.

Savannah
2011-06-24, 02:12 PM
After everyone climbs into the boats, they set off without any need of rowing or any sign of a motor. You speed across the black lake towards the castle in near-total silence.

Tarquin As everyone else is staring at the castle, you happen to glance down into the lake. Something - something huge - passes swiftly under the boats, gently rocking them.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-06-24, 04:03 PM
"Wow, it's so big!", James said, staring up at the dark silhouette of the castle.

Denomar
2011-06-25, 01:34 AM
Tarquin all but jumps out of the boat at the sight of the thing in the water. Only the knowledge that doing so would put him right beside it stops him. "Beware the Jabberwock my son! The claws that catch......"

Tarquin trails off at the sight of Hogwarts. Words fail him completely.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-07-01, 04:28 AM
hey Tarquin, what do you think? said an over-excited James, pointing up at the castle.

Obrysii
2011-07-01, 12:26 PM
"The castle's huge! Which one is the Astronomy tower do you think?" Dorian asked - his nervousness giving way to excitement. Surely if he was a Squib, they'd've noticed by now.

Denomar
2011-07-02, 08:53 PM
"I think...I think the stories don't do it justice."

He has quite forgotten the shape beneath the water. As his eyes scan the walls he can't help but notice the castle's great sense of age. As if the boats were sailing into a different period of time.

Imbasel
2011-07-02, 10:41 PM
Rachel perks up and says "It's everything I thought it would be and more."

Savannah
2011-07-04, 10:25 PM
The boats gently bump against the landing, and the squat wizard gets out. "Well, come along," he snaps, not seeming to care about the wondering looks all the new students are giving the castle.

He marches briskly up to the main gates and knocks. Almost before he's done with the first knock, a tall slim wizard with a blond goatee answers - you suspect he's been waiting for you. "Ah, the new students, come in," he says, his voice soft. The squat wizard grunts and turns to walk back towards the boats.

The entrance hall is huge -- easily the size of a small house. You can hear voices coming from a door at the end, and grand stairs lead to the upper and lower floors. The wizard leads you to a small room off to one side, however. "Shortly, you will be sorted into your Houses. I will go inform the headmaster that you are ready -- I suggest you freshen up if you need to. I won't be but a moment." He hurries out, leaving you alone in the room. The students around you start chattering immediately. About half are asking about sorting and houses, while the other half are answering as best they can.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-07-09, 03:53 AM
"I wonder what house i'll be in?", James, asked out loud; curious as to what will happen next. "From what i've heard already, Slytherin doesn't sound that good to be in".

Denomar
2011-07-09, 11:31 AM
"I'm more interested in who the teachers are."

Tarquin wracks his brain but just can't think of any of the names that his parents had told him. He subconsciously strokes the side of his book bag.

Obrysii
2011-07-10, 09:33 AM
"And Gryffindor's a bunch of bullies," Dorian muttered, "I just hope ... they don't send me back home."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2011-07-10, 05:24 PM
James looked at Dorian with a confused expression. "Why would they send you home?".

Imbasel
2011-07-18, 11:41 AM
Rachel gives an encouraging smile and says "Don't worry no matter what we will be here with you."

Denomar
2011-07-23, 07:01 PM
"Well sure we will! Unless that is the food is somewhere else. I'm starving."

Tarquin pouts and rubs his stomach pointedly. He's pretty clearly being silly on purpose.

Obrysii
2011-07-24, 11:34 AM
"My dad and --" he said, stopping as he looked up as they pressed on - the smell of food had seemingly made him mind blank to the idea of being immediately kicked out.

Typical pre-teen.