PDA

View Full Version : Optimising Core + BoED Monk.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-05-16, 03:17 PM
Hello good people of the playground! Seeing as it is Monkday I figured now was the perfect time to ask. My friend is starting a little to no magic campaign and because he has seen some of the theoretical optimisation stuff I have done he is requiring me to play straight Monk with VoP. I am able to use core and BoED and could really use some help. Anything out there that can make the Monk less suck would help. Thanks in advance.

dextercorvia
2011-05-16, 03:23 PM
For race, choose an Astral DevaTrumpet Archon. Your first monk level will be at ECL 21. Procrastination should make it suck less.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-16, 03:32 PM
Hello good people of the playground! Seeing as it is Monkday I figured now was the perfect time to ask. My friend is starting a little to no magic campaign and because he has seen some of the theoretical optimisation stuff I have done he is requiring me to play straight Monk with VoP. I am able to use core and BoED and could really use some help. Anything out there that can make the Monk less suck would help. Thanks in advance.

Ouch.. you mean you have to take monk 1-20? Well, the first 2 levels of Monk don't really suck, and the 4 after that don't suck that bad. This might be a case where you would be better off with Racial Hit Die or Level Adjustment. At least then you get some decent abilities.

I would definitely look at getting the Saint Template ASAP, and into an exotic race. Something that covers VoP's holes, like with flight, a good ranged attack or teleportation. I know it's an odd suggestion, but how would you feel about playing a sainted VoP succubus monk? You would have flight, greater teleport at will, and if you need anything else, you can charm it out of some schmuck. It would also set you up for the legendary "Vow of Nudity." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)

You could also throw in a Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) to help you take as few monk levels as possible. Anything that keeps you from taking more levels in monk past the first 6 would be awesome.

Talya
2011-05-16, 03:34 PM
For race, choose an Astral Deva. Your first monk level will be at ECL 21. Procrastination should make it suck less.

This...is a level of pure awesome I've never seen before.

and if you need anything else, you can charm it out of some schmuck. It would also set you up for the legendary "Vow of Nudity." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)

You. I like you. How have i never noticed you before?

Glimbur
2011-05-16, 03:35 PM
What does "little to no magic" campaign mean in this context? Are wizards/clerics/et al banned? How about magic items? In a campaign with few/no magic items then VoP is quite good. This might lead to your DM concluding that VoP is overpowered.

I hear good things about Touch of Golden Ice for one of your Exalted feats. Nymph's Kiss is nice for skill points.

I would consider Human or Dwarf for your race, because they are some of the best races.

Feats are the tricky part of this character. Improved Natural Attack is a modest bonus but it applies to all of your attacks. Combat Reflexes is of modest use due to your lack of reach. Power Attack is a 1:1 trade which is sometimes useful (oozes, etc) but situational. Weapon Focus... it is a +1 to hit which can help. Blind Fight is quite useful against invisible rogues and situationally helpful. Improved Initiative is helpful. There aren't very many useful feats in core... I might consider the save boosting feats. BoED might have other useful things. I'm too lazy to check, sorry.

Class Features: Stunning Fist over Combat Reflexes, with VoP stat boosts you can afford a bit of Wis. Improved Trip over Improved Disarm: light weapon penalty of -4 on your 3/4 BAB will hurt.

dextercorvia
2011-05-16, 03:45 PM
This...is a level of pure awesome I've never seen before.

It would have been better if I had said Trumpet Archon. He'd have the casting of a 14th level cleric.

Elric VIII
2011-05-16, 04:03 PM
Class Features: Stunning Fist over Combat Reflexes, with VoP stat boosts you can afford a bit of Wis. Improved Trip over Improved Disarm: light weapon penalty of -4 on your 3/4 BAB will hurt.

Can a VoP character disarm someone? When the attempt succeeds, all of a sudden they're holding a valuable weapon.

Intuitive Strike is a must-have if you're focusing on Wis for Stunning Fist.

Are you restricted to only Core + BoED or were those just meant to be primary sources?

NNescio
2011-05-16, 04:20 PM
Can a VoP character disarm someone? When the attempt succeeds, all of a sudden they're holding a valuable weapon.

Intuitive Strike is a must-have if you're focusing on Wis for Stunning Fist.

Are you restricted to only Core + BoED or were those just meant to be primary sources?

VoP characters cannot own or use material possessions, with certain special exceptions (like drinking a potion handed over by an ally). They may still hold valuables. Otherwise, they would run into problems trying to donate to charity if they can't hold anything of value.

Hence, the VoP disarmer can hold onto the disarmed opponent's weapon, but he cannot use it in combat. Not even in self defence.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-16, 04:41 PM
You should also mention to your DM that one of the downsides of VoP is there are literally not enough decent Exalted feats in BoED, and see if they would be ok if you homebrewed some reasonable ones.

You. I like you. How have i never noticed you before?

Well, I don't know how we missed each other. I mean, I thought the Vow of Nudity was a fantastic idea on the day you first proposed it, and it's something you are rightly still proud of. :smallsmile:

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-16, 04:55 PM
Is playing a gith monk a good or bad choice?
See if you can get the LA waived.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-05-16, 05:03 PM

Yes I am restricted to Core + BoED.

The Vow of Nudity looks like fun, but there is no homebrew. :smallsigh:

Veyr
2011-05-16, 05:09 PM
[The DM] is requiring me to play [a particular class]
Leave the game and don't look back. Under no circumstances should you accept a DM's dictum of who you're going to play.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-05-16, 05:42 PM
Leave the game and don't look back. Under no circumstances should you accept a DM's dictum of who you're going to play.

Normally this all the way but, it came across as a challenge between friends. And I accepted.