PDA

View Full Version : Zeus, Hurler of Lightning Bolts

Hirax
2011-05-16, 04:13 PM
Zeus, Hurler of Lightning Bolts

Hurling polearms with the thunderous throw and lightning ricochet abilities is kinda like hurling lightning bolts right? Anyway, the goal of this build is to avoid many of the pitfalls of charging, since you won't actually need to be near your target, and terrain will largely irrelevant. We'll also do our best to foil those spooky magic users via the witch slayer prc from Tome of Magic. This build is also not magic item dependent, and doesn't get any abilities that would not work in an AMF until becoming a witch slayer. Nevertheless I did list a few magic items of interest.

I started the groundwork of this build here and have posted it in a couple other places, so if you're thinking you've seen this before, you probably have. Comments are appreciated, even if they're as simple as 'that's a great/terrible idea.'

Questions I have:

Is everything I've posted legal? In particular I'd love if the 6 combat steps I posted towards the end of the final section got a good going over.

The very nebulous situation, though, occurs when charging. If I drop my foe in the first attack, can I direct the rest of my full attack to target other foes in range? Note the distinction between range (how far I can do ranged attacks), and reach (5' as a medium creature). Would I get charge bonuses/abilties if I did this?

What other feats/abilities should I consider? Where do I go at level 16 and beyond? I don't usually build past 15 since the games I personally play in rarely go that far, and it feels like there's nowhere to go that would add much meaningful power, compared to what casters are getting at levels 15-20.

Race and classes:
Dragonborn (RotD) wood elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#woodElf). Add templates at your leisure, just be wary of what features will be lost upon becoming dragonborn. If you're willing to waive the painful required 3 exalted feats for the saint template, I would actually highly recommend it for this build, because of its many nifty abilities. Of note are the +4 to cha, and the +2 increase to the DC of abilities. Since this build gets an excellent cha based supernatural ability at level 15, this template effectively increases its DC by 4.

Ranger2*/Barbarian1**/Fighter1/warblade1(ToB)/Bloodstorm blade4(ToB)/fighter+1***/Witch slayer5(ToM)/Witch hunter1 (OA)****/warblade+1 (for iron heart surge)/swordsage2*****/Master thrower1 (CWar2)******
Notes:
*elf substitution at first level (RotW), 8 skill points per level, balance as class skill (important, because bloodstorm blade requires 8 balance ranks), drop to d6 HD. Favored enemy: arcanists (CM) would be my first choice. Other ranger variants (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8670172&postcount=8) worth considering include dropping wild empathy for speak to plants/animal 3/day (CC), and gaining trapfinding instead of track (DS). The CS web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) that gets you the tumble skill might also be desirable. You get plenty of skill ranks in your first 2 levels, so put them to work in skills that will become cross-class at level 3 when you take barbarian at level 3.

**whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy )+pounce (CC) variants.

***I won't be using the dungeoncrasher (DS) variant, but if you want more damage, go for it

****You'll have to beg for the entry requirements to be modified if you're not a saint (as in the template), since one of the pre reqs is to be able to cast magic circle against evil (which saints get at will). You should also probably beg to have knowledge requirement dropped/changed regardless of how the rest of your build is set up. From a fluff perspective, you have a good argument for being able to enter the class since you maxed out the witch slayer prc. Maybe even argue to make this a 6th level of witch slayer since the classes are so similar (you'd lose +1 to base will and fort saves by doing that, but gain +1 to reflex saves). This classes is pretty much being taken for full BAB (4th attack at 16th level), its 2 good base saves, and that you get cha mod as a bonus to all saves (just like a paladin's divine grace), which should be great if you boosted charisma for your disjunction ability.

*****Swordsage 1 gets you weapon focus with your spear, 6 maneuvers known (up to level 5 since your IL will be 9), 4 readied maneivers, and another stance. The small initiative bump is nice. A second swordsage level gets you a second stance (which isn't locked into being level 1), and another maneuver known. The it also gets good reflex and will saves, which are probably your weakest, which is very helpful. At this point in the game high saves will need to help compensate for your crappy AC when you charge. A second warblade level would only get you a one more maneuver and uncanny dodge, and +1 to base fort saves, so it probably isn't worth it.

******Master thrower requires point blank shot, which you have, weapon focus with a thrown weapon, which swordsage gives can grant to your spear (sort of, read the swordsage's discipline focus entry), and precise shot. If you're following this build to the letter, before you get your second swordsage level, politely ask your DM if you can retrain the martial stance feat you took with fighter level 2, and replace it with precise shot (semi decent feat anyway). When you get your second level of swordsage, replace the feat as mentioned, then if you want you can simply get leaping dragon back since swordsage grants you a new stance at that level anyway. Master thrower isn't all that great, but you get good reflex saves, full BAB, and a weapon trick (two for one blow would be my first choice). It fits thematically, too.

Suggested equipment:
+1 valorous spear/longspear/javelin/halberd/whatever: valorous causes double damage on charge (UE). It's important that you use a piercing weapon, because dragonborn (and raptorans) do double damage when on dive attacks with piercing weapons, and you of course want a 2 hander. See more on weapon choice in the combat section.

Boots of speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed): haste for 10 consecutive or non-consecutive rounds each day, free action to activate.

Crystal mask of mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor): +4 insight bonus to will saves, remember you have no classes with good will saves until witch hunter, and you're dumping wisdom. 100% stackable with cloaks of resistance.

Otyugh hole (CScoundrel, 151): not really equipment, but it gets you iron will for a modest fee, boosting your weakest save is nice.

Court of Thieves (CScoundrel, 143): same sort of thing as Otyugh hole, gets you any luck feat. I like to grab lucky start with this, to reroll initiative checks

Sphere of Awakening (MIC): remove magical and/or mundane fatigue and exhaustion from everyone in 60' radius 1/day. Great for getting rid of fatigue from rage or from flying for too long before level 12.

Veil of allure (MIC): increase DC of charisma based supernatural abilities, among other things, by 2.

Belt of battle (MIC): 3 charges per day, swift action to expend 1, 2, or 3 charges. 1 gets you a move action, 2 gets you a standard, 3 gets you a full round action.

Suggested point buy combos and stat progressions:
This build is slightly MAD depending on how you're going to play it. Remember that point blank shot requires dex of 13 and is a pre req for this build's cornerstone, the bloodstorm blade. Bloodstorm blade also requires you to have 8 ranks in balance, and it becomes cross class at level 3, meaning you need at least 2 skill points at levels 3, 4, and 5 in order to be able to buy 1 balance rank each level. With the fighter level you get a base of 2 skill points, and if you have an int mod of -1, that means you get only 1 skill point. If you're starting at level 10 or higher this won't matter, otherwise be wary. If you go for the witch hunter portion of the build, you'll also need want charisma.

I'll be posting stats both from point buy, and what they'll be at level 12 with everything factored in. All builds will assume you buy a +4 strength item and are raging (remember, whirling frenzy rages don't boost con). Level 4, 8, and 12 ability bumps are also factored in. Racial stats from wood elf and dragonborn net to +2 str and -2 int.

str/dex/con/int/wis/cha

24 point buy, raw stats, no racial adjustments or anything
14/13/16/11/8/8
At level 12 (must take fighter at level 4 and use ability boost on int, see above)
26/13/16/10/8/8

28 point buy
16/13/16/11/8/8
At level 12 (must take fighter at level 4 and use ability boost on int, see above)
28/13/16/10/8/8

32 point buy
16/13/16/12/8/11
At level 12 (use level 16 stat bump on cha)
28/14/16/10/8/11

36 point buy
17/14/16/12/8/11
At level 12 (use level 16 stat bump on cha)
30/14/16/10/8/11

Feats and notable abilities:

Flaw: Point blank shot (pre req for bloodstorm blade)
Flaw: power attack
1: Improved initiative (you always want to go before enemy casters when possible, I even recommend the agressive trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#aggressive) for another +2 to initiative)
1 (ranger): track (or trapfinding ACF, or chaos shuffle if you're wacky)
2 (ranger): rapid shot (important for bloodstorm blade ability)
3: Extra rage (CWar)
4 (fighter1): imp. bull rush
6: Shock trooper (CWar)
6 (bloodstorm blade 1): throw anything (chaos shuffle if you don't plan on entering master thrower or using a weapon that can't normally be thrown)
7 (bloodstorm blade 2): thunderous throw, treat ranged attacks as melee attacks, all weapons you wield gain returning property
8 (bloodstorm blade 3): blind-fight (pre req for pierce magical concealment)
9 (bloodstorm blade 4): lightning ricochet, returning weapons dart back to you in the same round, allowing you to make a full attack with a single ranged weapon. At level 9 you'll be able to make 5 attacks with a spear at range, at level 11 this will go up to 6 attacks per round.
9: mage slayer (CArc, pre req for pierce magical concealment)
10 (fighter2): Martial stance (leaping dragon, so if you ever can't fly, you still have great jumping ability to deal with terrain issues - retrain (see PHB2) to precise shot at level 18, see notes about master thrower prc)
12: Pierce magical concealment (CArc, foils blink, blur, mirror image, etc.)
12 (witch slayer): mettle (basically evasion for fort and will saves, grab a ring of evasion too. A second level in master thrower would also get you evasion)
14 (witch slayer): slippery mind (just like the rogue ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm))
15: ability focus: temporary disjunction
15 (witch slayer): temporary disjunction (swift action, single enemy within 30' needs to make DC 20+cha mod will save or lose magic, as if in a AMF for 1 round, ability can be used every 5 rounds)
16 (witch hunter): Kami's grace (same thing as a paladin's divine grace)
16 (witch hunter): detect evil at will
17 (warblade2): uncanny dodge (boring) and iron hear surge (awesome)
18 (swordsage1): gain benefit of weapon focus with weapons in chose discipline, choose desert wind to apply it to spears.
18: Sudden ability focus (ToM, 1/day +2 bonus to any supernatural ability of your choice, explicitly stacks with normal ability focus)
20 (master thrower1): Two with one blow (-4 to attack roll to hit 2 adjacent foes with 1 attack, does not cost an action to use, each attack resolved separately with 2 rolls, both can crit, theoretically gives you 14 attacks in a round with an adequate supply of adjacent opponents - die mooks die!)
20 (master thrower1): quick draw (free bonus feat, not exactly an exciting capstone to the pre epic era, but all the same, whee!)

List o' unused feats & stuff:
Extend supernatural ability (double duration of supernatural ability, would be great for disjunction)
Headlong rush (big bonus to charges, orc/half-orc only feat though, RoF)
Battle jump (charge-like option, very powerful, UA)
Power lunge (modest damage bonus, S&F)
Leap attack (throttle up power attack damage, CAdv)
Imp. precise shot (requires 19 dex, allows you to ignore miss chance from anything less than total concealment or total cover)
Cleave, due to your short reach.
Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel. I love them, but they're always tough to fit in.
Vow of non-violence (BoED) would seem to raise the DC by +4 of disjunction. Not explicitly, but after reading the entry I'd say it definitely works. Not relevant to this build really, for people that want to maximize disjunction, be aware of it.

Possible maneuver choices:
Note that hitting warblade at level 5 is key so that you can get second level maneuvers

Iron Heart (1 maneuver and 1 stance required from IH for bloodstorm blade)
Punishing stance: 1d6 damage, -2 AC
Wall of blades: when a foe attacks you, make an attack roll against them, and use your attack roll value as your AC if it's higher than your normal AC. Can be used after you learn the result of an enemy's attack.
Iron heart surge (totally worth a second warblade level): remove something bad affecting you. Read its entry, then Google around for discussion on what this can and can't remove.

Tiger Claw
Claw at the moon? You need any maneuver from TC to qualify for leaping dragon, and all the good ones have pre reqs =(
Sudden leap: swift action jump
Leaping dragon stance (from martial study feat or second swordsage level, see notes in section discussion classes): always treated as though you have a running start to a jump, +10' to vertical jumps.

From 2 levels of swordsage much later, here are my suggested maneuvers
Diamond mind
Disrupting blow: standard action melee attack, will save 15+str mod, target cannot take actions for 1 round upon failing save. Requires 2 other diamond mind maneuvers.

Setting Sun
Mighty throw and comet throw: knock foes prone, do damage, and other stuff with melee touch attacks that doesn't provoke AoOs. Take mighty throw with your first swordsage level, then comet throw with your second.

Shadow Hand
Child of shadow stance: gain concealment
Shadow stride: 50' teleport as move action
Cloak of deception: swift action greater invisibility during your turn, use with shadow stride and any standard action maneuver

Damage calculator and how you work in combat:
X=weapon damage (dice + enhancement bonus)
Y=strength mod
Z=BAB

Let's assume we're at level 11, using all our BAB, and wielding a weapon whose dice+enhancement hit for 7 on average. Strength mod will be arbitrarily put at 10. Remember also that BAB 11 gets you 3 attacks, whirling frenzy gets you another, rapid shot gets you another, and boots of speed get you another still. Unless your DM hits you in the face before you can finish all the attacks. This assumes damage from punishing stance and weapon abilities such as shock isn't multiplied. Tack a pair of d6s on all totals if these are relevant to you.

Charging power attack only
X+Y*1.5+Z*2 = 44
+Valorous weapon
(X+Y*1.5+Z*2)2 = 88
+piercing weapon on dive (or battle jump)
(X+Y*1.5+Z*2)3 = 132
+Headlong rush (mostly for TO, won't use it probably)
(X+Y*1.5+Z*2)4 = 176
+Power lunge feat or uncanny blow exotic weapon master ability (also TO)
(X+Y*2+Z*2)4 = 196
+leap attack (easier to use this with a battle jump than a dive)
(X+Y*2+Z*4)4 = 218

Critical hits would change the overall multiplier (the one outside parentheses) by adding +1 to it if it were an x2 weapon, +2 if it were an x3 weapon, etc. Also, remember this is per hit, and you get 6 attacks per round. So there's potential for hundreds of damage.

Your overall to-hit bonus, retaining the above assumptions:
BAB+str+weapon enhancement+haste+charge-rapid shot-whirling frenzy
11+10+1+1+2-2-2=21. Meaning you'll get 6 attacks at +21/+21/+21/+21/+16/+11, though a couple other variables of note: you'll gain an additional +1 to hit and damage on attacks within 30' thanks to point blank shot. Assuming you're using a spear (20' range increment), if an enemy is more than 20' away you also take a -1 penalty, more than 40' away a -2 penalty, etc.

Weapon choices:
Spear: 20' range increment, non-reach
Javelin: 30' range increment, non-reach, -4 to melee attack rolls
Longspear: 10' range increment, reach

So how does this all work in combat? Let's work through step by step.
1. Get angry and airborne. Note that you should be activating your boots of haste as a free action, getting you a 60' speed, thus allowing you to ascend 30' in a round. To execute a dive, you need to descend at least 10,' so if you opponent is more than 20' tall, this means you won't be able to do a first round dive. Don't worry though, you can still do a regular charge while in the air, and those still do plenty of damage.
2. Use a swift action to activate thunderous throw. Swift actions are going to be very precious for you.
3. You pounce while you rage, so all this groovy moving around you're doing? You get to make a full attack after you've charged/dived into whatever position you think is the most advantageous to hurl your lightning spears at enemies.
4. Aim for anything that can cast spells first, fly second, or do ranged attacks third.
5. If there's a particularly menacing spellcaster of some sort, you can use your swift action to activate your disjunction ability on them. If it succeeds, then charge them the old fashioned way, without throwing anything. This is where the javelin becomes bad, the longspear becomes good, and the spear becomes a happy medium. Well, happy for everyone except your new pin cushion.
6. If your first 5 attacks in step 5 didn't kill the target, use your 6th attack to bull rush them (you can do it freely as part of a charge). If you took dungeoncrasher somewhere this is an opportunity for more damage. If you didn't, then you've hopefully at least put them in a position where they'll provoke an attack of opportunity on their next action. Remember also that your mageslayer feat makes someone autofail their concentration check when casting defensively.

Disclaimer: This build assumes that charging and diving are the same thing. So whenever a feat applies to a charge, it can also be applied to a dive, provided all movement requirements are satisfied.

Acronyms/sources (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)