PDA

View Full Version : Warlock build question

Tzi
2011-05-16, 07:27 PM
Granted I am not the biggest optimizer and I'd hardly pretend to be, but I am curious if anyone more knowledgeable could comment on this build I have crafted.

First off, Lore/IC wise this a Feytouched or Fey Pact warlock, It is level 6 out of the gate and of an Elven race (Homebrew design, nothing big about the race is beneficial to this type of warlock).

I am thinking of going with the feats,

Still Spell,
Extra Invocation,
Improved Fortitude,

And taking Eldritch Glaive as one of the invocations. Now I might be off but I picked Still Spell under the impression that it also benefits Spell like abilities and allows for the casting of at least one without somatic components. I am wondering if I am correct in this understanding or if it is possible to achieve this sort of thing?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere or any of the warlock guides so I am unsure if I am barking up the wrong tree or just hit a niche that really isn't uber optimized but can work.

The basic goal is to be able to cast an invocation without using somatic components.

Jallorn
2011-05-16, 07:31 PM
Don't get Still Spell, it only effects Spells, and the Warlock only has Spell-Like Abilities.

Tzi
2011-05-16, 07:33 PM
That is unfortunate, but thank you.

I guess going another route, SOMATIC WEAPONRY which is in complete mage, does that reach the same basic effect that I seem to be seeking? Essentially the next best thing might be the ability to still be armed while doing an invocation.

Turion
2011-05-16, 07:56 PM
You could take Sudden Still from Complete Arcane; the book lists sudden metamagic as applying to SLAs. It's only usable 1/day, though.

As to using somatic weaponry, I don't see anything in the text prohibiting you from using it. It would really only be useful with a 2-handed weapon, though, or if you plan to fight with your hands full, and if you're going for a glaivelock/melee-warlock build then you probably shouldn't bother.

Just my two cents, anyway.

Tzi
2011-05-16, 08:30 PM
You could take Sudden Still from Complete Arcane; the book lists sudden metamagic as applying to SLAs. It's only usable 1/day, though.

As to using somatic weaponry, I don't see anything in the text prohibiting you from using it. It would really only be useful with a 2-handed weapon, though, or if you plan to fight with your hands full, and if you're going for a glaivelock/melee-warlock build then you probably shouldn't bother.

Just my two cents, anyway.

I am still undecided, in all likelihood I might ditch the glaive idea and stick to ranged but still be able to do some good damage if pitched into melee combat.

The race the character is gets a weapon proficiency with scythes and largely this is a flavor character issue, just trying to run with the character as best as possible.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-05-16, 08:57 PM
Granted I am not the biggest optimizer and I'd hardly pretend to be, but I am curious if anyone more knowledgeable could comment on this build I have crafted.

First off, Lore/IC wise this a Feytouched or Fey Pact warlock, It is level 6 out of the gate and of an Elven race (Homebrew design, nothing big about the race is beneficial to this type of warlock).

I am thinking of going with the feats,

Still Spell,
Extra Invocation,
Improved Fortitude,

And taking Eldritch Glaive as one of the invocations. Now I might be off but I picked Still Spell under the impression that it also benefits Spell like abilities and allows for the casting of at least one without somatic components. I am wondering if I am correct in this understanding or if it is possible to achieve this sort of thing?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere or any of the warlock guides so I am unsure if I am barking up the wrong tree or just hit a niche that really isn't uber optimized but can work.

The basic goal is to be able to cast an invocation without using somatic components.
First off, Extra Invocation is almost worthless at level 6. You can only get another LEAST invocation.

Second, as previously mentioned Metamagic doesn't work on SLA's. Sorry.

Third off, why do you want to avoid somatic components? Worried about ASF or something? There's ways to mitigate and/or negate that. Heck, with Battle Caster feat, you can use your SLA's in medium armor. As in 'mithral full plate'.

So what is it you are trying to accomplish, precisely?

Tzi
2011-05-16, 09:04 PM
Again apologies as I am a novice to the game,

Essentially create a fairly well rounded warlock or one that can deal a healthy amount of damage for the party and be able to defend itself when it falls under attack. The DM often ensures plenty of mooks with tricky abilities exist to keep those not directly taking on the big bad guy on our toes.

My concern is that if the warlock has a two handed weapon or a shield, they may be rendered unarmed and less able to defend itself should it fall into a situation of being in melee, which often happens.

I suppose Battle Caster would definitely help. Again apologize if these questions are fairly novice in nature.

Re'ozul
2011-05-16, 09:51 PM
True Shinken made a very good Guide for melee warlocks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708).

Otherwise I never really favoured the damage option for warlocks.
If you boost charisma up high, its a lot more fun to go the party-face or trickster route in my eyes.

If the DM favours mooks, chain-blast is a good option for your lesser invocation if you go ranged. Though if you were to go the trickster route, walk unseen or charm would be better. Or you could go voracious dispelling and keep dispelling everything as the party moves along dungeons cities or wherever you are. Or fell flight and take flyby attack as your 6th level feat and hit and run a bit. Lesser invocations are in my opinion the most flavourful the warloc gets and the amount makes the restrictions on the number the warlock gets very noticeable.

Casting without somatic components is not very likely for a warlock, but usually not necessary unless you want it for story reasons.

Feat wise you could go wild talent, psionic shot, psionic meditation to give your blast +2d6 per round if you don't move. (i.e. use you move action to generate psionic focus) Not really worth it over time though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-05-16, 09:58 PM
Again apologies as I am a novice to the game,

Essentially create a fairly well rounded warlock or one that can deal a healthy amount of damage for the party and be able to defend itself when it falls under attack. The DM often ensures plenty of mooks with tricky abilities exist to keep those not directly taking on the big bad guy on our toes.

My concern is that if the warlock has a two handed weapon or a shield, they may be rendered unarmed and less able to defend itself should it fall into a situation of being in melee, which often happens.

I suppose Battle Caster would definitely help. Again apologize if these questions are fairly novice in nature.

Those who never ask will never learn. No apologies are necessary.

If you are really worried about melee, there's a solution to this. Don't be in melee. At level 6, all you need is Fell Flight, and you never have to worry about melee again. Failing that, use Flee The Scene to ensure they can never close with you.

I tend to prefer to use miss chance rather than AC to defend myself with. My toy of choice is Wand of Mirror Image. A Lesser Cloak of Displacement is also a very fun and useful item, as it negates sneak attacks.