PDA

View Full Version : Orc Battle-shaman

Swooper
2011-05-16, 10:41 PM
I'll be participating in a 3.5 game soon, that has the following restrictions/houserules: All characters are orcs, and everyone gestalts with barbarian. One of the character ideas that came to mind was a World of Warcraft style enhancement shaman, but I'm not sure how to implement that idea in D&D. For those of you who are unaware of what that includes, here's what I consider most important:

Two-weapon fighting, enhanced with elemental damage/effects.
Some kind of ranged energy damage and/or ways to channel it through my weapons in melee.
Some healing, buffs and utility magic.

My best idea so far is a Dragonfire Inspiration bard with careful spell selection. Any other suggestions?

Starting level is five or six, all 3.5 books are available except psionics, and there are some fluff restrictions on ToB so I'll probably avoid that.

Kantolin
2011-05-16, 10:52 PM
I hate to say this since I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of it, and it's one of the first people turn to... but cleric?

Two weapon fighting cleric is odd, but cleric buffs could theoretically make it awesome, cleric buffs can make elemental effects (Weapon of Energy), healing, buffs, and utility magic?

You could also use some localized effects to mimic totems, which I will note you didn't mention at all so hey. :P

Now, bards work great and also buff everyone else, which is thematically awesome, but hey. ^_^

Divide by Zero
2011-05-16, 10:56 PM
Binder, maybe? Gestalts well with basically everything, and has a pretty similar jack-of-all-trades feel to the shaman.

Swooper
2011-05-16, 11:01 PM
I did think of cleric, but I know one of the other players is going for cleric so I will avoid stepping on his toes, even if my party role might be somewhat similar.

Binder might work with heavy refluffing, but I think if I do decide use binder I will abandon the shaman fluff... still, a valid suggestion.

Edit: Oh yeah, I didn't mention the totems on purpose, mainly because I find the idea slightly silly and suspension-of-disbelief breaking that I'd carry around four miniature totem poles and stick them in the ground when needed... I'd rather just cast the buffs they provide myself. :smallsmile: