PDA

View Full Version : Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi

Syka
2011-05-16, 11:37 PM
So I'm going to be booking my trip to the Naples region of Italy in the next couple days for mid-June. We'll be staying closer to Sorrento, though.

We already know to hit up Amalfi (a friend in Italy suggested to see the coast by bus and by boat so...yeah), Pompeii (duh...although I also want to see Stabiae and may substitute that for Pompeii), and Capri. Tempted to walk Vesuvius, and Herculaneum.

Any other "must do" places to go? Suggestions on local culinary delights? Souvenirs to bring back from the region?

My brain is about to burst from the combined effect of stress (never planned a trip overseas, or been overseas in the first place) and excitement (I'm a Classics major and my family is from Naples). At this point, I'll call it a success if we get to the hotel and back in one piece and see at least Pompeii, lol.

Totally want to set aside one day to relax, check out a local village (most hotels near, but outside of, Sorrento are in smaller villages) and chill on a balcony with a view of the bay with a book. <3

dehro
2011-05-17, 08:04 AM
Positano..it's easy to google, so I won't bore you with a biased opinion

also, if you like mozzarella, you want to try mozzarella di bufala (same thing but made of buffalo milk) and burrata.
food specialities and dishes are too many to mention.
home-made limoncello, also good.
etc etc..

Cyrion
2011-05-17, 09:19 AM
We went to Herculaneum on our last visit to Naples and really enjoyed it. I haven't been to Pompeii, but I've been told that the city of Herculaneum itself is better preserved and restored but has fewer lavafied people. The sense of history is impressive, and the restoration- especially the original colors- is nothing short of amazing.

We also went to a little cameo workshop outside of Naples, and that was very cool. We got to watch cameos being hand-carved, and if you or anyone you know likes cameos, the attached cameo shop is amazing.

Another place we wanted to visit but didn't have time to fit in- the Mafia museum! It's not in Naples itself, I don't think, but you should be able to get a bus to it.