PDA

View Full Version : teleportation

Godskook
2011-05-17, 04:09 AM
So, I'm looking for practical teleportation methods in two varieties:

1.I need combat usable teleportation to transport someone wounded in a fight somewhere safe, and then get the 'ambulance' back to the fight while its still going, ready to save others. It needs to be spammable, allow passengers, and get the 'caster' back to the battle at the cost of at most 2 rounds. Best I can currently find is the warlock invocation Flee the Scene, but I figured someone might have something a little longer ranged for me. ECL 6 roughly

2.I need a way to mass-teleport small armies over vast distances with enough accuracy to warrant transporting small armies in this fashion. It needs to be affordable enough such that it can be consistently done to 'flaunt' superiority to 'lesser' enemies who must march their soldiers to the deployment zones. ECL 8 - 14, but lower is better.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 04:12 AM
There are several small, tactical-style teleportation spells in PHB2, but I'm uncertain if any of those go far enough away for what you're wanting. That, said, this is an entirely workable idea... if you were a war weaver.:smallamused:

Teasing aside and outside of using War Weaver with an acorn of far travel, magic of the land, and Spellguard of Silverymoon so that you can use things like dimension door to safely port someone away for a bit, I have no idea of anything else that would help.

EDIT: However, this does satisfy #2 if using War Weaver. Presumably, there would be a party of 4-6ish characters. Each of those would be designated as the war weaver for purposes of the Teleport spell, allowing the war weaver to bring additional people as per the usual "luggage" allowed by Teleport. That said, at 10th level, that may still take quite a few castings.

Alleran
2011-05-17, 04:14 AM
2.I need a way to mass-teleport small armies over vast distances with enough accuracy to warrant transporting small armies in this fashion. It needs to be affordable enough such that it can be consistently done to 'flaunt' superiority to 'lesser' enemies who must march their soldiers to the deployment zones. ECL 8 - 14, but lower is better.
I think one of the issues of Dragon had "spells of war" (which were basically supercharged spells designed to deal large amounts of damage over a wide area and similar). It required a feat to learn any of them, but I think there was a teleportation spell in there to transport regiments around.

Beyond that, you're looking at Epic magic.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 04:17 AM
I think one of the issues of Dragon had "spells of war" (which were basically supercharged spells designed to deal large amounts of damage over a wide area and similar). It required a feat to learn any of them, but I think there was a teleportation spell in there to transport regiments around.

Beyond that, you're looking at Epic magic.

Never thought War Weavers had to be [EPIC].:smalltongue:

Kidding aside, do you know off hand which Dragon magazine that is? It seems large scale stuff would be rather useful to have.

Alleran
2011-05-17, 04:27 AM
Kidding aside, do you know off hand which Dragon magazine that is? It seems large scale stuff would be rather useful to have.
Dragon #309 (I looked it up). You'll wind up needing three feat slots (Great Fortitude, Iron Will, then War Magic Study) to get the spell necessary. It's 6th level, and can be cast from a 6th level slot. Teleports up to ten people per caster level. Metamagic can be applied to it as normal.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 04:31 AM
Dragon #309 (I looked it up). You'll wind up needing three feat slots (Great Fortitude, Iron Will, then War Magic Study) to get the spell necessary. It's 6th level, and can be cast from a 6th level slot. Teleports up to ten people per caster level. Metamagic can be applied to it as normal.

Ouch, those requirements on that are brutal! I know Iron Will is a magic location away, but Great Fortitude is a little harder to come by, I believe.

That said, at least knowing this exists is wonderfully beautiful for purposes of campaign worlds and the like.

ILM
2011-05-17, 04:34 AM
To help with some of the limitations, there's the 3-level Wayfarer Guide PrC in CA. You can take up to 3 more targets with you (provided you could already take at least one), 50% further, more often (one more slot for a Teleport spell) and with more accuracy (roll twice on the Teleport table, take highest result).

There's also a Mass Teleport spell (level 7) somewhere that lets you teleport willing creatures up to 100 lb/CL. Combine it with multiple castings of Mass Reduce Person (divides weight by 8 for CL creatures) and you can teleport at least a few units, but probably not an army, probably not too many times per day, and probably not in just 2 rounds.

There's the obvious Teleportation Circle, but that's a level 9 spell so too high for your target ECL.

Alleran
2011-05-17, 04:35 AM
Ouch, those requirements on that are brutal! I know Iron Will is a magic location away, but Great Fortitude is a little harder to come by, I believe.
It should only take one of the level-based feats. A bit more of a cost considering what you're getting out of it, but the War spells aren't that bad.

Godskook
2011-05-17, 05:01 AM
I probably should've mentioned that I'm the DM ealier.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 05:06 AM
It should only take one of the level-based feats. A bit more of a cost considering what you're getting out of it, but the War spells aren't that bad.

They're an interesting concept, but most of them aren't suited for adventurers due to the one-minute casting time they have.

I probably should've mentioned that I'm the DM ealier.

That does help, as it means you have more at your disposal, but the war spells don't accomplish what you want to do due to their one-minute minimum casting time. Outside of the stuff in the PHB2 or maybe similar spells in Spell Compendium, that basically leaves a war weaver to do the job for on the spot teleportation and back again.

Godskook
2011-05-17, 05:17 AM
That does help, as it means you have more at your disposal, but the war spells don't accomplish what you want to do due to their one-minute minimum casting time. Outside of the stuff in the PHB2 or maybe similar spells in Spell Compendium, that basically leaves a war weaver to do the job for on the spot teleportation and back again.

#1 doesn't seem any better with War Weaver due to reliability issues with all vancian casters.

#2 is solved almost completely by the mentioned war spell, and in facts, gives me a great 'officer' unit for this army. The 'warcaster' as it were.