PDA

View Full Version : That sword is big!

Baldin
2011-05-17, 07:56 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders,

As the title says i have a question about a sword thats very big.

The sword in question is a gargantuan Longsword. It happens that this sword is a intelligent item and turned out to be friendly toward my character and now views him as his master.

My character however is a Gnome wizard. Being a wizard and a gnome my strength is very low.

Now is there any way for my wizard to be able to use this weapon, eighter by shrinking it or other magical way(other then Animate weapon)

cheers
Baldin

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-17, 08:01 AM
Shrink Item has what you need.

Your strength score isn't what's preventing you from wielding the item; it's too large for you to use at all at the size it is. You're small sized, so you can't even wield a large longsword, let alone a gargantuan one.

Talya
2011-05-17, 08:10 AM

"You are able to shrink one nonmagical item..."

Baldin
2011-05-17, 08:14 AM

Your strength score isn't what's preventing you from wielding the item; it's too large for you to use at all at the size it is. You're small sized, so you can't even wield a large longsword, let alone a gargantuan one.

eey,

thanks for the reaction but as Talya mentions, Shrink item only works on non magical items.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-17, 08:15 AM
Ach! I stand corrected.

Yeah, I've got nothing else. Good luck with that gigantic, useless item!

Baldin
2011-05-17, 08:16 AM
haha thanks!

i guess ill just bring it with me in a back oh holding scabbard

Greymane
2011-05-17, 08:17 AM
You're a wizard! Create your own spell that shrinks this specific longsword down to your size so you can wield it.

Cicciograna
2011-05-17, 08:50 AM
Take Leadership and then get a Gargantuan (or at least Huge) cohort.

Eldan
2011-05-17, 08:56 AM
Wasn't there an enchantment that fitted weapons to your size? Enchanting an already intelligent, and probably powerful, weapon is very expensive, but it's the best I can think of.

Darrin
2011-05-17, 08:57 AM
You can add the sizing property for +5000 GP (Magic Item Compendium p. 43)and just resize it to whatever you like.

Quietus
2011-05-17, 09:07 AM
Alternatively, what about weilding it telekinetically?

Malkav
2011-05-17, 09:50 AM
Take Leadership and then get a Gargantuan (or at least Huge) cohort.

This.
Or dominate monster.

Edit: "That's what she said"

Talya
2011-05-17, 12:27 PM
You can add the sizing property for +5000 GP (Magic Item Compendium p. 43)and just resize it to whatever you like.

This sounds like the best idea. Cheap, too.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-17, 12:56 PM
Keep in mind, if you will, that a gargantuan creature is between 32 and 64 feet tall. Therefore the sword itself will be a significant percentage of those lengths. Using real world physics for an 2^3 increase in length and therefore 8^3 increase of weight, we're talking about a weapon that's about ~50 pounds over a ton of steel. (using the much more generous D&D "double weight for doubled size" it's only 32 lbs. :smallconfused: ) Moving it is more of an engineering project, really.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-17, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind, if you will, that a gargantuan creature is between 32 and 64 feet tall. Therefore the sword itself will be a significant percentage of those lengths. Using real world physics for an 2^3 increase in length and therefore 8^3 increase of weight, we're talking about a weapon that's about ~50 pounds over a ton of steel. (using the much more generous D&D "double weight for doubled size" it's only 32 lbs. :smallconfused: ) Moving it is more of an engineering project, really.

D&D rules are generous for weights, aren't they?

The Tarrasque is about 12x less dense than water and a large greatsword might work as a hot air balloon basket, albeit a slippery one. Just cast Stick and call it a day.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-17, 01:30 PM
it's intelligent. pollymorph any object in into a sparrow, until it's flying over an enemy.

then release the spell:smallamused:

or take improvd familiar, make the sword your familiar, and have fun with it

Talya
2011-05-17, 01:33 PM
Using real world physics

I am waging a genocidal campaign against catgirls, myself. You are welcome to join my holy cause.

FMArthur
2011-05-17, 03:23 PM
You're a wizard, so you can just use Steeldance (3rd level Transmutation, Spell Compendium). The weapon then wields itself, costing you no further actions and hovering around you to attack enemies with a fixed attack bonus of your CL + your Int, dealing its normal damage plus your Int. You must cast it with another bladed weapon, since the spell is supposed to be for doing this with two swords at once. Since you yourself are not actually making the attacks with the weapon, its size doesn't matter.

It's a pretty cool spell IMO, but unlike normal spells, this one might lead your group to make more direct comparisons of your abilities and the poor melee's, since it is one way a caster can outclass a low-op brute at his own job.

edit: In fact... since weapon size doesn't matter for the purposes of Steeldance, you might still want the Sizing property on the weapon, or any weapon you wield, just to make it colossal. It's hard to know where the line is between 'synergy' and 'abuse' here, since the weapon started out at a size that would otherwise make this spell seem somewhat cheesy if you went out of your way to get it yourself.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 03:27 PM
"You are able to shrink one nonmagical item..."

You're a wizard! Create your own spell that shrinks this specific longsword down to your size so you can wield it.

Actually, Shrink Item is what the doctor (wizard) ordered! Assuming you can shrink it just right so either you or the fighter-type can wield it (and the sword doesn't mind a momentary black out) a quick dispel magic (greater) or two is just the trick to turn it nonmagic before using Shrink Item.

That or what FMArthur said.:smallbiggrin:

pilvento
2011-05-17, 03:47 PM
whirling blade spell? its lvl 1 :smallcool:

FMArthur
2011-05-17, 03:52 PM
whirling blade spell? its lvl 1 :smallcool:

It's level 2 and you make attacks with it as if you were the wielder, ie with substantial penalties.

Analytica
2011-05-17, 03:54 PM
Keep it with you through some means, like on a wagon or in a portable hole. Enlarge yourself if you need to use it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 04:00 PM
Keep it with you through some means, like on a wagon or in a portable hole. Enlarge yourself if you need to use it.

That would work if he was medium size to begin with and blew something on a way to wield it due to size differences. That said, without going through with the Dispel Magic/Shrink item combo or the Steeldance spell, you're better off just throwing it at the big stupid fighter after a quick buff round to make him large.

NNescio
2011-05-17, 05:26 PM
Actually, Shrink Item is what the doctor (wizard) ordered! Assuming you can shrink it just right so either you or the fighter-type can wield it (and the sword doesn't mind a momentary black out) a quick dispel magic (greater) or two is just the trick to turn it nonmagic before using Shrink Item.

That or what FMArthur said.:smallbiggrin:

Intelligent items are technically creatures, and hence cannot be suppressed with dispel magic:

Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs. Intelligent items often have the ability to illuminate their surroundings at will (as magic weapons do); many cannot see otherwise

Heck, they remain functioning in an AMF.

The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting.

One may make a reasonable case that they would lose their normal enchantments, but they would still be intelligent items.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-17, 05:28 PM
Heck, they remain functioning in an AMF.

One may make a reasonable case that they would lose their normal enchantments, but they would still be intelligent items.

Hold on... I can't quite get my head around a talking sword made via magic from talking inside an AMF.:smallconfused: Nice catch, though.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-17, 07:27 PM
I am waging a genocidal campaign against catgirls, myself. You are welcome to join my holy cause.

To SRD, or not to SRD: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous RAW, or to take arms against a sea of unlogic,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; No more; and by a sleep to say we trance
So we can active Listen check for the heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to in a surprise round, 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd. To not TPK, to trance....

:smallbiggrin:

Malkav
2011-05-17, 07:32 PM
Wu Jen-Giant Size. Get it in an item.

Marnath
2011-05-17, 07:48 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders,

As the title says i have a question about a sword thats very big.

The sword in question is a gargantuan Longsword. It happens that this sword is a intelligent item and turned out to be friendly toward my character and now views him as his master.

My character however is a Gnome wizard. Being a wizard and a gnome my strength is very low.

Now is there any way for my wizard to be able to use this weapon, eighter by shrinking it or other magical way(other then Animate weapon)

cheers
Baldin

Out of curiosity, what are the enhancements and special powers on this sword? Is there a backstory to how your gnome befriended such a big sword?

Gabe the Bard
2011-05-17, 08:47 PM
Shapechange into a Cloud Giant or a Titan. They can wield gargantuan weapons.

Popertop
2011-05-17, 10:46 PM
telekinesis?

or does that treat you as the wielder also?

Godskook
2011-05-17, 11:12 PM
To SRD, or not to SRD: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous RAW, or to take arms against a sea of unlogic,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; No more; and by a sleep to say we trance
So we can active Listen check for the heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to in a surprise round, 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd. To not TPK, to trance....

:smallbiggrin:

That's beyond epic, my friend

Baldin
2011-05-19, 04:46 AM
Out of curiosity, what are the enhancements and special powers on this sword? Is there a backstory to how your gnome befriended such a big sword?

eey,

Sorry for my delayed response.

We are currently playing the adventure Against the Giants.

Our group was clearing out a giant outpost and in one room we found a cloud giant. after defeating him we scanned the room with a detect magic and found the big sword behind a tepastry on the wall(the sword is 8meters/26feet in height)

I was the first one to touch it (my char is True neutral gnome wizard) and it asked me if i was his new master, and so i became it.

The Sword is name Thoun and is made by a cloud giant (not the one we killed)
Properties:
+2 Giantbane
Speaks Common, Giant, Gnomish
Ego level 8
Can cast detect evil at will with a 100ft range.

Vizzerdrix
2011-05-19, 01:49 PM
I'll second FMArthur on the Steeldance spell. Better yet, see if you can further enchant the sword to use the spell on itself as a SLA.

Partysan
2011-05-19, 02:11 PM
Giving an intelligent weapon the ability to fight and therefor kill by itself seems, while cool, rather dangerous.
I'd say use Steeldance and get the Sizing property, those are affordable and useful.

NNescio
2011-05-19, 02:28 PM
Giving an intelligent weapon the ability to fight and therefor kill by itself seems, while cool, rather dangerous.
I'd say use Steeldance and get the Sizing property, those are affordable and useful.

"Never trust a computer sword you can't throw out the window."

Laendri
2011-05-19, 04:41 PM
I personally don't like to use spells from the spell compendium that doesn't say where they come from. If you don't mind, use steeldance.

Or add the magical property "Dancing" to the weapon so she can fight for herself.It's a +4 if u can pay, pay if not make the item ur familiar with the feat for it and she will eventually get dancing in higher lvls.

Me, as a classic crazy gnome sorcerer myself, will Polymorph into a Wartroll, then use Enlarge Person and then grab the sword with both hands. Remember a gargantuan longsword is just a Huge Greatsword. Even better if you are high enough level for Tenser's Transformation. Your warrior and DM will hate you.

Taelas
2011-05-19, 05:06 PM
A gargantuan longsword is not merely a huge greatsword (though this was the case in 3.0). It is inappropriately-sized and would incur penalties.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-19, 05:18 PM
Looking for a huge creature you can Polymorph into, and being reminded that polymorph>anything.

An Aboleth is huge but it can't really use weapons, so no monkey gripping fishmonsters for you. Giant Squids have the same problem, and the Purple Worm is exactly 1 HD too large.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-19, 05:22 PM
No no no. Enchant the thing to fly, and then declare yourself the Silver Surfer.

Laendri
2011-05-19, 05:37 PM
A gargantuan longsword is not merely a huge greatsword (though this was the case in 3.0). It is inappropriately-sized and would incur penalties.

True but being Huge and using it with both hands the penalties are a merely -2.
My post was just an idea, didnt went all the way into the rules, but I think it would be pretty much awesome. Wartroll with str 31 already give the gnome wizard +10 to hit, for a sorcerer's poor BAB thats like glory. Anyway, I dont wanna list the exact rule process, but im pretty sure the bonusses will be a lot more than the penalties.

Other option is giving the sword to the enemy giant, then use "charm monster" and have cool teamate, when he is no longer usefull cast "black karma" in him. I know, im cruel.

ubergeek63
2011-05-20, 05:33 AM
True but being Huge and using it with both hands the penalties are a merely -2.
My post was just an idea, didnt went all the way into the rules, but I think it would be pretty much awesome. Wartroll with str 31 already give the gnome wizard +10 to hit, for a sorcerer's poor BAB thats like glory. Anyway, I dont wanna list the exact rule process, but im pretty sure the bonusses will be a lot more than the penalties.

Other option is giving the sword to the enemy giant, then use "charm monster" and have cool teamate, when he is no longer usefull cast "black karma" in him. I know, im cruel.

a colossal long sword in the hands of a gnome wizard. 4 size categories + martial weapon is -10 to hit with a weapon he can not lift as a weak class of a weak race. he is weighs 8-60lbs and the sword weighs 64lbs!

His best bet is to have a generous DM let him put sizing on it for the 5K mentioned earlier and have it shrunk to a tiny long sword and wield it as a dagger.

Malkav
2011-05-20, 11:41 AM
No no no. Enchant the thing to fly, and then declare yourself the Silver Surfer.

We have a winner....
/thread closed.

Godskook
2011-05-20, 12:02 PM
a colossal long sword in the hands of a gnome wizard. 4 size categories + martial weapon is -10 to hit with a weapon he can not lift as a weak class of a weak race. he is weighs 8-60lbs and the sword weighs 64lbs!

His best bet is to have a generous DM let him put sizing on it for the 5K mentioned earlier and have it shrunk to a tiny long sword and wield it as a dagger.

Reread his post, cause you missed key parts of it. He's talking about polymorphing into a *WARTROLL* before wielding this thing, which makes the size category issue far less of one.

ubergeek63
2011-05-20, 12:27 PM
Reread his post, cause you missed key parts of it. He's talking about polymorphing into a *WARTROLL* before wielding this thing, which makes the size category issue far less of one.

Done. Actually he wasn't, though that did come up in the discussion. And with the sizing quality on the weapon, *IF* he is crazy enough to jump into the front line as a wartroll, he will be able to.

Marnath
2011-05-20, 12:33 PM

Not to mention it's only gargantuan. :smallwink:

Metahuman1
2011-05-20, 05:16 PM
7th lvl transumutation spell, Body of war. You are now a Hugh Warfordged titan, but you can't cast spells while your in that form. But if your wielding the sword, you probably arn't casting spells right then anyway.

Marnath
2011-05-20, 05:48 PM
7th lvl transumutation spell, Body of war. You are now a Hugh Warfordged titan, but you can't cast spells while your in that form. But if your wielding the sword, you probably arn't casting spells right then anyway.

Warforged titans don't have hands.:smallwink:

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-19, 04:27 PM
Warforged titans don't have hands.:smallwink:

Sovereign glue it to your arms. :smalltongue:

Big Fau
2011-06-19, 04:58 PM
Wu Jen-Giant Size. Get it in an item.

Cast Wish, and ask the DM for Giant Size to become a Sor/Wiz spell.

Or Shapechange/Polymorph effects.