PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to kill tha' Lich.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 08:09 AM
my party is heading back to city to replenish spells and work on tactics, and of course we can buy any scroll we need for do this.

some information.

the party:

Hellbread Paladin 5 / Hellreaver 8 = the tank
Desert Kobold sorcer 5 / divine oracle 8 = the blaster
Human Ranger 11 / Fighter 2 = ranged DPS (favored enemy and nemesis on undeads)
Human Warlock 2 / Cleric 3 / Eldrich Diciple 8 // healer - Ranged DPS
Illuminian Beguiler 1 / Wizard 4 / Ultimate Magus 8 // Batman Wizard and Blaster

Cohorts.

Human Cleric 6 / Radiant Servant of Pelor 5
Human Psion 10

The enemy is in a confined room, ofr 50fts x 50fts, he is a Spellweaver with 6 hands, and he has in there 2 "knight" skeletons and 2 crawlers tipe monsters.

Any good plan to take him down ?

What buffs should be prepare? beside of Death Ward and FOM ?

*.*.*.*
2011-05-17, 10:28 AM
Mind blank

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-17, 10:37 AM
the party:

Illuminian Beguiler 1 / Wizard 4 / Ultimate Magus 8 // Batman Wizard and Blaster

Cohorts.

Human Psion 10
Heh, I've seen the bolded typo a few times but it's still my favorite. :smalltongue:
Seriously though, the Eldritch Disciple should have a few spells such as Command Undead, which will help decapacitate the skeletons. Another idea: have either the Sorcerer or the Wizard cast Antimagic Field and stand near the lich. They won't be able to use spells, but neither will the lich. The ranger can then fire at him with minor difficulty caused by the field (I think magic arrows won't work) and the paladin can attack him in melee (his magic items won't work, but he should be Power Attacking+Smiting pretty well anyway)

mootoall
2011-05-17, 10:50 AM
Remember, positive energy harms undead! Grab yourself a scroll of Heal, and that alone should bring most liches down to 1 HP. Locate Object for the phylactery, and have funsies!

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 10:50 AM
elder summoned elementals work IN a AMF ?!
cause it do, then we can summon a few of them and then go in to combat.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 10:51 AM
Remember, positive energy harms undead! Grab yourself a scroll of Heal, and that alone should bring most liches down to 1 HP. Locate Object for the phylactery, and have funsies!

locate objet is block even by a sheet of paper, so is useless if the philactery isn't on sight ¬¬

Malkav
2011-05-17, 10:51 AM
the party:

Cohorts.

Human Psion 10

What in the world are these PC's doing together? A Radiant Servant of Pelor would never associat with these ruffians.

The enemy is in a confined room, ofr 50fts x 50fts, he is a Spellweaver with 6 hands, and he has in there 2 "knight" skeletons and 2 crawlers tipe monsters.

Any good plan to take him down ?

What buffs should be prepare? beside of Death Ward and FOM ?

When you go back take an altar to Pelor with you (make it permanent with stone shape) and have your radiant servant consecrate the front door. It will lead 20' into your 50' room. And it will give you a safe little bubble to run back to.

Bring two Qual's feather token-trees with you and have your ranger ready with entangle.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 10:53 AM
When you go back take an altar to Pelor with you (make it permanent with stone shape) and have your radiant servant consecrate the front door. It will lead 20' into your 50' room. And it will give you a safe little bubble to run back to.

what is the effect of this concecrate area ? if it needed, i can shrink the altar and put in a bag of holding.

Malkav
2011-05-17, 10:56 AM
what is the effect of this concecrate area ? if it needed, i can shrink the altar and put in a bag of holding.

If the altar is a permanent fixture you get +6 to turning and undead cannot be summoned or created in that area(20' radius). So if the knights, or whatever, won't come in it you have a safe haven so you can retreat if need be.

That_guy_there
2011-05-17, 11:41 AM
All the above cover anything I would have suggested... except this:

If you're feeling cocky you could always try to plane shift him to a positive energy plane. Its more ore less a 1 shot kill if it works, then locate the phylactery and destroy it. All these plans are for nothing if you don't find the phylactery.

Taelas
2011-05-17, 11:59 AM
Incorrect; undead do not die on the positive energy plane. They benefit from fast healing, and they do not have to make the usual Fortitude saving throw to avoid exploding (as it does not affect objects, and undead are immune to such). In other words, you have just granted the lich +5 hit points for every round he spends in the plane and for 1d20 rounds afterwards.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-17, 12:14 PM
Indeed. Any intelligent Lich would store their phylactery on the Positive Energy Plane, or at least use it as a hangout before a major battle to get ridiculous temporary HP. It's silly as all heck, but RAW.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 12:38 PM
ok. someone plz respond my question.
"summons works in AMF" ?!?!?!!?

and a new question.

how to locate his philactery ?
locate objet don't work if the objet isn't on sight.
I quite sure he put some anti-scry spell on it.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 01:15 PM
ok. someone plz respond my question.
"summons works in AMF" ?!?!?!!?

and a new question.

how to locate his philactery ?
locate objet don't work if the objet isn't on sight.
I quite sure he put some anti-scry spell on it.

about the Antimagic Field.

what things do work inside them ??

if i cast any Orb outside the AMF and aim to anyone inside the AMF, it works? it hit?

same for any ranged touch attack like i dunno, acid melf arrow, scorching ray, wtc.
SU and EX works? all of them? or only those which don't mimic magic?

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-17, 01:28 PM
about the Antimagic Field.

what things do work inside them ??

if i cast any Orb outside the AMF and aim to anyone inside the AMF, it works? it hit?

same for any ranged touch attack like i dunno, acid melf arrow, scorching ray, wtc.
SU and EX works? all of them? or only those which don't mimic magic?

magic stops working in an anti-magic field, unless it destroys the field/is too powerful for the field (epic level) so all of these things listed stop working the moment they enter. It is a pretty epic defence against magic.

SU and EX work, but not spell-like abilities.

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-17, 01:37 PM
RAW, Conjuration spells that aren't specifically said not to work (summons wink out) should work fine as long as they are cast while outside the AMF. For example, an Orb is said to be completely non-magical once in existance, so it wouldn't be dispelled when shot into an AMF.

Taelas
2011-05-17, 01:39 PM
(Su) abilities do not work within an anti-magic field.

Instantaneous effects that are cast outside of an anti-magic field into it will still work, as they are no longer magical.

Kalirren
2011-05-17, 01:54 PM
By "crawler-type" monsters do you mean Nightcrawlers? Because those things can be just as bad as the lich itself...

Throw a potion of silence inside a tanglefoot bag. Ranged touch is easy by levels 11-13. If the lich is a prepared caster, it'll need to have prepared silent spells or be able to apply that metamagic on the fly. If the lich is a spontaneous caster you'll at least have bumped all of its casting times to full-round actions.

Give/lend your priest cohort a Bead of Karma, a staff of greater dispel magic, and have him counterspell any spell the Lich manages to throw through the silenced tanglefoot bag.

And of course, save a portion of the Lich's body once you beat him and get a friendly church to monitor the Lich's reappearance for a subsequent attack on his phylactery.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 03:52 PM
OK so summons DO work in a AMF, as orbs spells too. nice.

the crawlers indeed are 2 nightcrawlers and 2 kyus knight. the lich is the Spellweaver 6 arms lich spontaneous caster who can cast with his 6 arms wich means he can free down metamagic cost up till a +4, and the module/campaing is Age of Worms, The Spire of Long Shadow module, i think is the module #6 or #7.

anyway, i think with the shrinked altar and the summons and the AMF we r good to go.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-17, 04:00 PM

Here's Antimagic Field, so you can read it yourself. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)

Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field.

Ruinix
2011-05-17, 07:44 PM
i see, but also say

If you cast antimagic field in an area occupied by a summoned creature that has spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the creature’s spell resistance to make it wink out.

so if i summon anything and the cleric buff it with spell resistance (spell) and then i pop up the AMF i can "choose" fail my check trick like with the dispel trick against explosive runes ??
and the same goes for US, the party.

Malkav
2011-05-17, 07:53 PM
A clever use of Command Undead could do many interesting things btw.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-17, 08:11 PM
i see, but also say

so if i summon anything and the cleric buff it with spell resistance (spell) and then i pop up the AMF i can "choose" fail my check trick like with the dispel trick against explosive runes ??
and the same goes for US, the party.

huh. That might actually work. Though keep in mind that AMF is personal, so casting it basically locks you out of the fight (as well as forcing you to be up close and personal with bad guys to bother them with it) - hopefully your party can handle the enemy without you.