PDA

View Full Version : Base ability scores and bonus spell slots

AxeD
2011-05-17, 09:30 AM
Hi, I'm having a heated discussion with a guy I know about bonus spell slots. He thinks that you only get bonus spell slots from you base ability scores. I've always been under the impression that you get them from your total ability score - which includes enhancements from items (such as a headband of intellect) which you wear 24/7.

I did some searching around, but I couldn't find anywhere in the SRD or on the internet that says that you only use your base score to determine bonus spell slots.

I'm willing to go as far as saying that if you don't wear the enhancement-item for the entire resting period, you don't get the bonus spells, and if you take them off, you immediately lose the bonus spells.

Anyone have any insight on this? Rules as written? EDIT: Also, from personal experience?

Cog
2011-05-17, 09:37 AM
You are correct. With a headband, cloak, or periapt, your score is the higher number. That the score could be lowered by removing or suppressing the item is no different from how it could be lowered by ability damage or drain, or temporary penalties.

Douglas
2011-05-17, 09:40 AM
The default for everything is to use your total ability score including all modifiers. Exceptions, such as using only your base score, must be called out specifically. Bonus spell slots do not mention an exception, so they use the total score.

Or, to put it another way, the burden of proof is on the other guy - he's the one who has to find a rule saying the headband doesn't count in order to prove his argument correct.

AxeD
2011-05-17, 09:40 AM
You are correct. With a headband, cloak, or periapt, your score is the higher number. That the score could be lowered by removing or suppressing the item is no different from how it could be lowered by ability damage or drain, or temporary penalties.

Any idea how I can prove it to this guy? (that it's the total score, not the base score?) I'm wondering if he's confused it with the enhancement spells (like fox's cunning) which specifically states that it doesn't grant bonus spell slots.

AxeD
2011-05-17, 09:41 AM
The default for everything is to use your total ability score including all modifiers. Exceptions, such as using only your base score, must be called out specifically. Bonus spell slots do not mention an exception, so they use the total score.

Ninja'd: I might just say what you said to him. Thanks.

Douglas
2011-05-17, 09:44 AM
Edit got ninja'd:

Or, to put it another way, the burden of proof is on the other guy - he's the one who has to find a rule saying the headband doesn't count in order to prove his argument correct.

Malkav
2011-05-17, 09:44 AM
prove it

Players Handbook page 10. "Changing Ability Scores" section Last paragraph, after the bullet points.

AxeD
2011-05-17, 09:50 AM
Players Handbook page 10. "Changing Ability Scores" section Last paragraph, after the bullet points.

Thanks, but I think the third bullet point is more appropriate - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Several magical items improve ability scores as long as the character is using them.

Absol197
2011-05-17, 11:56 AM
Another way to think about it: does an amulet of health increase your hit points with its increased Con score? Yes, because that's what an increase to Con does. Why wouldn't an increase to Int/Wis/Cha do what it does, and give bonus spell slots?

Incidentally, in Pathfinder, this is explicitly spelled out: after wearing a magic item that increases a mental ability score for 24 hours, you gain bonus spell slots (and skill points, if it increases your Int). Probably doesn't help, since you're likely not playing Pathfinder, but there is a ruling on this out there.

Also, in regular 3.5, the only exception to this rule that is stated is retroactive skill points.