PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Homebrew person needed

Mindfreak
2011-05-17, 02:12 PM
I am currently in the process of creating many spells for a special Feat I like to call the Escape Artist Feat(Actually feat name may be changed)

In 4e terms:

Escape Artist Feat
Heroic Tier Feat
Requirements: Any Arcane, Psion, or Martial Class.
Int 13, Dex 13
Effect: Allows you to select one spell/power from the Trickster's Book.
Special: This feat is able to be taken multiple times.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Now the spells and powers themselves that will be in the Trickster's Book will be able to be used in both 4e and 3.5e, I myself, am skilled enough to homebrew items in 4e. But I have never played any 3.5e D&D. I need a person or people who will take the versions of the powers/spells that are 4e, and adapt them into format for 3.5e use. They also will need to put the feat into a format for 3.5e as well. When all of the translating is done, I will post the finished project for both 4e and 3.5e versions into the Homebrew section.

Also, it would be nice to have more people to pitch ideas for spells and powers. The powers themselves have to either be able to be used for Pranks or Escaping. But one power cannot perform two functions of escaping.
Here is an example of a 4e one I already came up with(Is subject to change):

Melting Ray
While your teammates argue, you point your wand at the jail's bars. A hot beam shoots out, melting away a hole in the bars, big enough for all of you to escape though
At-Will*Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature or Object that meets requirements
Attack: Int Vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Int mod fire damage.
Effect: If the target is made out of or is wearing anything that is made of Iron or Steel, it melts. If there is anything flammable on the target, it catches on fire.

Again, Ideas are appreciated.

Cog
2011-05-17, 02:15 PM
You might want to take a look in the homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15), then?

erikun
2011-05-17, 02:51 PM
I am fairly familiar with both 4e and 3.5e, but I think you'll be better off simply posting what you have in the Homebrew forum and asking for help from there. I'm not sure quite what you are asking here, because you haven't really given me a good idea of what you are talking about. Is it like a multiclass feat, swapping out powers for ones in the "Trickster's Book"? Do you get new powers? What levels are we talking about?

If we are talking about your Melting Ray example, that sounds pretty high-level. You are destroying any and all armor on the target, and setting them on fire, with a single successful roll.

Mindfreak
2011-05-17, 03:35 PM
I am fairly familiar with both 4e and 3.5e, but I think you'll be better off simply posting what you have in the Homebrew forum and asking for help from there. I'm not sure quite what you are asking here, because you haven't really given me a good idea of what you are talking about. Is it like a multiclass feat, swapping out powers for ones in the "Trickster's Book"? Do you get new powers? What levels are we talking about?

If we are talking about your Melting Ray example, that sounds pretty high-level. You are destroying any and all armor on the target, and setting them on fire, with a single successful roll.

Well, when You say that, it does make sense. I want it the spells to be mostly for escaping and pranking purposes. Whil some do deal damage.

Revised version:

Melting Ray
While your teammates argue, you point your wand at the jail's bars. A hot beam shoots out, melting away a hole in the bars, big enough for all of you to escape though
At-Will*Arcane, Fire, Implement
Hit: 1d8 + Int mod fire damage.
Increase to 2d8 + Int mod fire damage at 21st level
Effect: If the target isn't living and breathing, and is made completely out of metal that is as strong as steel or below, it melts away.

That would lower the level significantly, while still allowing room for players to be creative.

The feat would be for any class that draws power from Psionic, Arcanic, or Martial. You would gain a new spell/power, but for wizards and others that have to prepare their spells in a spellbook, they would have to prepare this spell. I don't get what you mean by switching out spells. But it depends on what you would believe would make it good for 3.5e. I want the feat to be able to be taken at any level, and that there will be some powers/spells that will be available at lower levels that do some good things, then there would be better versions that do more things at higher levels. for example:

Magma Burst
Your teammates begin to breakdown, thinking there is no way out of a dwarven prison. You however, know better. You point your wand at the adamentine bars, and melt them away, once again letting you escape.
Encounter*Arcane, Fire, Implement
Hit: 2d12 + Int mod fire damage.
Effect: If the target is made out of or is wearing anything that is made of Iron, Steel, Adamentine, or Mithril it melts. If there is anything flammable on the target, it catches on fire.

The Magma burst would be a significantly higher level spell. Probably in like level 11 or possibly even level 15 in 4e.

erikun
2011-05-17, 06:32 PM
You would gain a new spell/power, but for wizards and others that have to prepare their spells in a spellbook, they would have to prepare this spell. I don't get what you mean by switching out spells.
What I mean is this: If Melting Ray is a 6th level utility power, does that mean that the character ends up with two 6th level powers - one being Melting Ray and the other being from their class - or do they give up their 6th level class utility power to get Melting Ray instead?

I am also asking what the Trickster's Book actually is. Being given a random (and, to be honest, rather unbalanced) 4e power and asked to make a 3.5e "something" to fit it will be difficult; the result may not be at all what you had in mind. If I know what the Trickster's Book is supposed to be beyond "give the players the choice of a new power for a feat", then I'd be able to create something that conveys the Trickster's Book far better.

The Magma burst would be a significantly higher level spell. Probably in like level 11 or possibly even level 15 in 4e.
Magma Burst will destroy anything metal or "burnable" (namely, leather or cloth) on the character. Any humanoid target will lose all their weapons and armor. A power that removes the target's ability to attack and drops them to AC 10 would be a 25th level power, at least. The only power I can think of that comes close, Seal of Binding, is a 25th level Cleric power that requires the Cleric to take damage and spend a stardard action every turn to keep a single target neutralized.

And it's a daily, at that.

Mindfreak
2011-05-17, 07:28 PM
Alright, this is good to know(I have never made something homebrew before, so I don't really know how to balance things)

The Trickster's Book is a book written and constently expanded upon by Warriors, Monks, Psions, Wizards, Sorcerers, Ardents, Battleminds, etc, that had to either:

A) Escape Constently

Or

B) Liked pranking(Like the bag of tricks in OoTS)

Most of the powers and spells I plan on putting in it will be based on helping you escape certain situations. Like for example, there is a power I have planned out for Arcane users to wield that it can be used to cut the bonds on Rope. It deals area damage. Then a power for Non Arcane wielding classes(Like Cleric, Paladin, Fighter(Depending on the Intellegence score), and rogues, etc) that just removes the knot entirely in the rope, making the rope just fall down.

Yes it would mean if the person took the feat and got Melting Ray as a 6th Level Utility Power, they would have 2 6th level Utility powers. I don't know if this would be unbalanced or not(The power of melting ray only does 1d8 damage + Int mod, and melts Iron and steel inanimate objects. While Ray of Frost(as I believe it is called), deals 1d6 damage + Int mod, and then slows down the target)