PDA

View Full Version : Hollow's Last Hope IC

Retro Gamer
2011-05-17, 04:55 PM
Hollow’s Last Hope

Falcon’s Hollow (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Falcon%27s_Hollow)

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt310/huw_williams/FalconsHollow.jpg
A blunt, sawdust-choked stop on a winding trade route, a festering haven of injustice and cruelty, the village of Falcon’s Hollow rests perilously close to the infamous Darkmoon Wood. The long shadow of Droskar’s Crag casts a shroud of gloom on the desperate souls who call this place home. The town, and everything in it, belong to the corrupt Lumber Consortium, controlled by the de facto leader of the town, the loathsome Thuldrin Kreed. His petty decrees and the consortium’s overpriced goods keep the people of the town prisoner as surely as if Kreed and his goons used manacles and chains. The community thrives on a tenacious mix of greed, debauchery, and stubborn self-reliance. As much property of the Lumber Consortium as the buildings, cut timbers, and other assets in the town, the people of Falcon’s Hollow live in abject poverty and unending misery. Those born into Falcon’s Hollow (or those foolish enough to move there willingly – or even unwillingly) face lives filled with anguish and devoid of hope or betterment.

It is late afternoon, and tensions are high. For the past week, numerous residents of Falcon’s Hollow have fallen ill, each suffering from the same hacking affliction that has claimed at least one town elder. At Jak’a’Napes, the only inn in town that provides lodgings and food for both two- and four-legged travellers, the blackscour taint, as the disease is know, is the only conversation topic. Opinions range from blind disbelief and a refusal to accept the situation, to paranoia and anger at the authorities’ lack of action. Jak, the rotund red-faced fellow who owns the inn, listens to each complaint with an easy smile. As long as folk keep eating and drinking here, they can think whatever they want.

It is assumed that, not being from Falcon’s Hollow, you are all staying at Jak’a’Napes (location 7 on the map). There is one other tavern in town, the Sitting Duck (location 9), but it doesn’t provide accommodation.

Drothmal
2011-05-17, 06:02 PM
In one of the more isolated tables, there's an elf sitting with a fairly large book and ink. Dressed in leathers and a simple blue tunic, he mutters to himself while making annotations in his book while sipping some of the local wine. His short red hair, delicate build and deep green eyes would have made him quite good looking, if it weren't for some hideous burn marks in his face.

Oblivious to the looks of the other patrons, Raigard keeps analyzing his alchemical formulas, trying to remember any other concoctions he might have seen Hazzufle brew all those years ago.

From time to time, Raigard will stop actually reading and writing and, while pretending to be concentrating, he will try to listen for any particular descriptions about the disease, paying attention for any signs of what might be causing it and what are the symptoms shows by the affected

Leviathan
2011-05-17, 07:19 PM
Theodosia

The young mage comes out of her rooms at the inn with a pursed-lipped scowl on her face. Marching up to Jak, she demands in a loud voice: "it is far too loud here, innkeeper; you will have these people quiet themselves." Then, without giving the topic a second thought – suggesting that it is but a whim of the wizardess – she announces her own opinion on the matter of the plague in response to hearing several travellers discussing it.

"Peasants die," Theodosia states. "Peasants have always died, and plague merely expedites the process." She shrugs nonchalantly. "Besides, it matters not: there is by any measure an ample number of peasants, and they manage to breed like rats despite their misery." Then, looking around the room with an expression of distaste, she concludes: "and if a few hamlets are wiped out, then it would appear no great loss would be incurred."

acid_ninja
2011-05-17, 07:36 PM
A tall, broad shouldered young man rides into town astride an aging chestnut with a white blaze on its forehead. He is dressed in steel from head to toe, gleaming with polish beneath a thin patina of road dust. Draped over his armor is a surcoat in the red and gold of Iomedae. A simple shield hangs from his saddlebow, along with a full-faced helm, and he carries a lance braced in his stirrup. Slung to the side of his saddle is a heavy, curved blade.

His face is young and unlined and his blue eyes are bright and alert beneath his high brow and close-cropped black hair.

He digs into his saddlebags and produces sheaf of papers, sealed with the sign of the Light of the Sword.

Now, what was the name of the priest of this temple?

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-17, 08:37 PM
The door to the inn opens with a slight creak and a tired-looking Elf in a dark cloak walks into the room. Illyria walks straight to Jak, not so much as looking at the rest of the room. "How much for a room for the night and a bite to eat, Innkeeper?" She's spent most of the day on the road to Falcon's Hollow, and at this point she wants a warm meal and a long sleep, in that order. Nonetheless, the murmering of the common folk about plague and sickness catches her ear, and she begins listening intently to the talk in the room. When Theodasia makes her comments, Illyria turns and fixes the Chelish noble with a blistering scowl and mutters to Jak, "Oh, what have we here? A grand princess, here from the land of the Hells-lovers to grace us with her presence. There are plenty of places where talk like that would get you a shallow grave..." Nonetheless, the Elven scout is more alert now, carefully looking around the room and listening to what the people around her are saying.

Drothmal
2011-05-18, 06:09 PM
When Illyria walks into the inn, Raigard looks up from his book, pondering about his fellow elf. They didn't know each other very well from their past, but over the last weeks they had traveled together to Falcon's Hollow and have come to see one another as companions.

Raigard looks back to his book, then to Illyria as she approaches the inkeeper, then to the book again, torn between going back to his studies and joining the rogue. Finally, he makes up his mind and goes towards the bar.

Once he reaches Illyria, he addresses her in a low voice.

I've double checked all my anatomy and medicine books, and still found nothing of this disease... Have you ever encountered anything like it in your travels?

He will also inquire from Jak if there is anyone in town that could know more about the disease

Retro Gamer
2011-05-18, 09:40 PM
“Right you are, miss,” replies Jak to Theodosia, and calls for the patrons to quieten down a little, albeit in a half-hearted voice that is ignored by all and sundry. “Sorry,” he says to her, shrugging. “Things are a bit tense in town right now, a lot of sickness about. Folk have other things to worry about than offending the ears of strangers.” He turns his back to her and begins polishing a cup, keeping his back turned as the wizard announces her own opinions on the disease - and her view of the world in general. Her comments draw a few dirty looks from those nearby, but for many in Falcon’s Hollow, such contempt is nothing unusual. Folk are constantly reminded by those who run things around here how insignificant they are, and this stranger could be high up in the Lumber Consortium for all they know. Upsetting her might be tantamount to signing their own death warrants.

Most folk go back to their conversations, though with a more guarded air than before. Any casual listener is able to pick up some facts that interweave with the opinions and accusations, notably that the sickness – which has become known as blackscour taint – began to appear about a week ago, and has already claimed several lives, including a town elder. Local remedies have proven to be as useless as prayers at the Church of Iomedae, and the horrible, hacking affliction has spread at an alarming rate. The source of the malady, by all accounts, has been traced by a local herbalist to a small spring on the edge of town, and although the authorities have now banned the use of the spring, hoping to prevent further affliction, this offers little respite to those already infected.

At Raigard’s question, Jak turns around, a single strand of red hair standing upright on his otherwise bald pate. “Well, don’t bother going to the church,” he says. “They haven’t got a clue. Can’t even be bothered. The only one who seems to have much idea is Laurel. You’ll find her in her shop just round the corner, there. She’s the one who found out it was the spring that was poisoned. A lot of folk have put their faith in her cures since then, though I don’t reckon she’s much more than an ointment seller really. Don’t tell her I said that though.”

Meanwhile, Eremond arrives at the church to find its doors closed, and little sign of life inside. He suddenly recalls that it is Lady Cirthana to whom he was sent to deliver the papers, though there is no evidence that anyone is within – no lights or sounds of any kind at all. Knocking on the door elicits no response, until a passer-by notices the imposing fellow and pauses briefly. “You looking for a priest, are you?” askes the weasel faced man, whose age is impossible to fathom, so caked is he in grime and dirt. “You might want to try the Duck or Jak’s place. More chance finding one in there these days, than in here. Except for Cirthana, that is, but she’s about as much use as half a bucket.”

acid_ninja
2011-05-18, 10:35 PM
Thank you. Blessing of the Inheritor upon you.

Eremond wheels his horse Celebrant and returns to the Jak'a'napes, remembering that he passed it on his way in.

He dismounts in the yard and hands the reigns over to a groom. He enters the inn and pauses in the doorway, inadvertently filling it while his eyes adjust to the gloom. He strides purposefully to the bar.

Pardon me, master innkeep, but do you know where I might find Lady Cirthana? If there is sickness about she should be at the church, seeing to her duties. Unfortunately, this is apparently not the case.

Leviathan
2011-05-19, 12:05 AM
Theodosia

Theodosia thanks the innkeeper as reluctantly as he calls for the inn to quiet down. Hearing about the "ointment seller," the wizardess nods authoritatively. "This appears to be a person who does more than babble inanely and bemoan impending doom. As I myself have no interest in dying in this filthy town, I shall inquire with - Laurel, is it? - to seek a cure."

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-19, 02:10 AM
Illyria turns to her companion, a faraway look appearing in her eyes for a moment. "Exactly like this? No, though I'm far from an expert in diseases. But sickness and plague? I've seen half a village die coughing blood, and thousands dead of some sort of wasting sickness in Galt. Honestly, if they didn't pay so well and so regularly I'd never go back to that wasteland of a nation..." She keeps quiet as Jak makes his short announcement about the disease, then shrugs and continues. "See, it's always the same. Someone poisons a well, or something drowns in it or some sort of toxic plant grows there, everyone who drinks from it sickens and dies and it takes some sharp-eyed herbalist to figure out what's wrong. No doubt they'll be calling for stout-hearted adventurers to venture into a unicorn glade to recover the leaves of the white oak soon..." Her words hold a faint trace of mockery, but it's quite clear that she's seen this sort of thing before. "Well, maybe we should go talk to this Laurel. I know you love your herbs and potions, and there's always the prospect someone'll hire us on to look for a cure." While her words are heard-hearted and unsympathetic, Raigard knows her well enough by now to know that she far prefers working for a good cause to hiring herself out to some warlord, even if the pay isn't as good.

Drothmal
2011-05-19, 08:24 PM
Raigard's mouth flashes an amused half smile (:smallamused:) at Illyria's words. If it were not for the scars on his face, his smile might be described as bright, but as it is, it just accentuates the sarcasm of his voice when he says Yeah, you never know when they might be desperate as to require our help And just like that, the smile is gone, replace by a face of deep though

I do want to speak with this Laurel though, for she seems competent and I have been thinking of a new extract that could (you cannot make sense of his mumbling) ..... But I guess that depends if there is any ... (more mumbling)
Sensing his mind wander, Raigard forces himself back to reality Anyways, first thing we need to do is to talk to her. This disease should be our first priority, I'll compare notes with her later

Hearing that the noble woman expressed some interest in Laurel too, Raigard addresses her. It would seem that you are heading the same way as we do. Would you like to join us? Raigard did not particularly like Theodosia's previous comments, but he is a bit concerned that leaving her alone might spark a flame to the villager's anger (a compound that, no matter how well buffered by daily mistreatment, is too volatile for the alchemist's taste)

Raigard will ask the innkeeper for directions to Laurel's place

Retro Gamer
2011-05-19, 09:15 PM
Jak frowns at Eremond, and lowers his voice slightly. "Just a word of warning, you being new in town and all," he says. "Your priestess isn't too popular here, nor any of those who come in and try to spread the word of whatever god they follow. Most of them don't stay long, but Cirthana's a persistent one. Won't take a hint. The only higher power here is the Lumber Consortium, and Thuldrin Kreed don't take too kindly to anyone who says otherwise. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, you understand, but that's the situation here, just thought it'd be best you know, that's all."

He is about to move away to answer a request for more drinks when Raigard asks where Laurel can be found. “Just round there,” he says, motioning around the corner from the inn. “You can’t miss it, there’ll be a line of people outside coughing, if the last week’s anything to go by.”

He nods and then heads off to serve a table in the far corner.

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-20, 02:46 AM
Illyria looks slightly alarmed at her companion's haste. "But... My meal hasn't arrived yet! Can't we at least wait until after dinner to go haring off?" She blinks, then smiles ruefully to herself and turns to Jak. "Right, he's going to be that way. You said it was just around the bend, so we shouldn't be too long. Can you keep the food warm for me until we get back?" She pointedly ignores Theodasia even as Raigard addresses her; deal as she might with the bloodthirsty "revolutionaries" of Galt and the militant generals of Molthune, she's always made a point to avoid the Chelish nobility; after all, what good could possibly come from working with Devil-worshippers?

acid_ninja
2011-05-22, 06:13 PM
Eremond turns to the elf near the bar. Excuse me, but if there is an illness affecting this village, then I, too, would like to do what I can.
He extends his hand.
My name is Eremond, pleased to meet you.

Drothmal
2011-05-22, 06:51 PM
Pleased to meet you, Eremond the alchemist shakes the young man's hand enthusiastically, in a motion that suggests that he is not used to the gesture but has studied in great detail (and maybe practiced in a mirror or two)

Then, in a fast voice, the elf adds My name is Raigard Maenelad, Alchemist Extraordinare, at your service. This here is my companion and friend, Illyria, whom it would seem has been deprived from sustenance due to me. If I may say so, I think that you show incredible facial proportions. Have you ever considered being a subject study for an anatomy compendium? For I think that the .... (once again, Raigard starts to mumble to himself for a couple of seconds, seems to realize he's being incomprehensible, clears his throat and states in a clear voice)

I mean, pleasure to meet you. We would love your help. We are going to talk to the local herbalist about her findings on this disease, if you want to accompany us, it would be lovely Raigard says this at a relatively slow pace, clearly making an effort not to speak too fast and preventing going himself from getting off topic again

acid_ninja
2011-05-22, 07:29 PM
Having been trained to always be courteous and diplomatic, Eremond manages to maintain a neutral expression as he slowly removes his hand from Raigard's grip.

If people are dying, then food can wait.

Eremond strides purposfully in the direction of the herbalis.

Leviathan
2011-05-22, 07:53 PM
Theodosia

The Chelish wizardess follows her newfound companions - minions, as she would put it. "I have eaten already," she pronounces, "and 'tis therefore time to find this herbalist."

As she walks, she eyes Eremond in front of her. This one is well armed, at least; he might prove useful should something go awry.

Retro Gamer
2011-05-23, 12:37 AM
As the quartet leaves the inn, a small dog approaches from where two boys are play-wrestling, its tongue lolling from its mouth and tail wagging furiously. It stops in its tracks as it nears Theodosia, however, and beats a hasty retreat as if wounded by an invisible barb. Although it had first appeared that the arrogant noblewoman was the source of the creature’s fear, the truth is immediately revealed in the appearance of a pug-faced, mash-nosed human who storms out of a nearby alleyway and almost trips over the pup. Cursing the animal, the man strides after it, and calmly crushes it beneath his mammoth boot, slowly enough for the dog to emit a series of yelps that fade pitifully as the life is forced from its body. While the two boys stop their play and disappear from sight, the thug glares at the group with a smirk on his face, daring them to say something.

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-23, 02:07 AM
Illyria follows closely behind the rest of the group; she's not entirely sure what to make of this Eremond. Clearly a religious type, probably some sort of knight or cleric. Her face adopts a thoughtful look as she watches his movements and tries to decide what to think about him.

Illyria's head snaps to stare at the man, shock clearly visible on her face. "You... Why would you do that?" She shakes her head for a moment, then gestures to her companions. "Never mind, it doesn't matter. None of our business, is it? Let's head for that herbalist." Nonetheless, she keeps her eyes peeled on the brutish human; anyone who would go out of his way to slaughter an animal like that is little better than a beast, and the Elven scout knows better than to turn her back to such a creature.

acid_ninja
2011-05-23, 05:28 PM
At this display of wanton cruelty Eremond's eyes go flinty. He walks to stand in front of the brutish thug and crosses his arms in front of his chest, his shoulders swelling beneath his brightly polished armor.

The eighth act of Iomedae was to convince the Black Prince to slay himself to atone for his evil. He was thus redeemed and was judged in the Halls of Aroden. She could have destroyed the graveknight herself but evil must always be given the chance to repent its wickedness and make amends. I offer you that chance now.

Leviathan
2011-05-23, 10:12 PM
Theodosia

Theodosia raises an eyebrow at Eremond's display of piety. "Never mind repentance, cur, and never mind what you've done to that mongrel - likely had plague anyways - but if you do not stand aside this instant, I will crush you beneath my boot."

With that, the wizardess strides boldly towards the thug, glaring, her eyes telling presenting him with the stark choice she'd offered.

acid_ninja
2011-05-23, 11:28 PM
Eremond extends his arm in a restraining gesture, never taking his eyes off of the thug. His voice is quiet but firm.
Hold, please. This man may yet learn a valuable lesson.

Leviathan
2011-05-23, 11:40 PM
Theodosia

"I do not know what this will accomplish, but... very well." She steps off to the side, arms crossed. "Now, cur, if you step aside, this heavily armed man might not take offence."

Retro Gamer
2011-05-25, 08:43 PM
The thug’s smirk turns into a grin, and then a mocking laugh as first Eremond and then Theodosia stand up to him. “Crush me under yer boot?” he says in a rasping voice, his piggy eyes looking at Theodosia. “Ha ha ha, I’d love to see yers try that. Go on then, I’m not movin’, yer’ll ‘ave to crush me if yers don’t wanna go around.”

Leviathan
2011-05-25, 08:49 PM
Theodosia

Theodosia purses her lips, glaring at the thug. Then, with a swift flick of her wrist and a motion of her hand, a burst of soft light wafts over the thug. "Very well," she growls.

Casting sleep on the thug: DC 16 will save or sleep.

acid_ninja
2011-05-25, 09:22 PM
Eremond sighs at the impetuousness of the wizard and prepares to punch the thug

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-25, 09:42 PM
Illyria grimaces in response to the big man's words. In her experience, when somebody tries to bully you like this the best response is a quick knife to the gut; anything less and they might start to think they can take whatever they want. In this case, though, she has no intention of getting into the middle of the fight; let the others distract this thug, she'll wait to see what happens. She backs cautiously away for a few steps, then stealthily creeps into the alley the thug came from and draws a dagger from one of her wrist sheaths.

Using Stealth to lurk in the alley.
[roll0]

Retro Gamer
2011-05-26, 05:34 AM
The brutish fellow is still laughing as Theodosia utters the necessary words that implant in his head an overwhelming urge to slumber. Seemingly regardless of the fact that he is in the open street, he yawns deeply, and leans heavily against the wall of Jak'a'Napes, the smile fading from his face as his eyelids flutter and then close. He slumps against the wall, then slides to the ground, and it is only a matter of seconds before his head lolls and his breathing slows.

acid_ninja
2011-05-26, 06:18 AM
Eremond's fists unclench as the thug slumps. He nods at Theodosia.

He has justice yet coming to him but we have bigger problems to deal with. Thank you. I would have wasted valuable time chastising him. Shall we be on our way?

The tall young man begins to head towards the herbalist.

Leviathan
2011-05-26, 11:47 PM
Theodosia

The wizardess gives the sleeping thug a final look of disgust. She contemplates doing some indignity to him, but decides better of it, and stalks off after the paladin. "Horrid town... My assessment was correct; the sooner this cesspool is left behind, the better..."

Drothmal
2011-05-27, 12:52 AM
Raigard, who was distracted during much of this event due to once again being immersed in his formula book (he seemed to have recalled the name of a possible disease that might match the symptoms, but he was wrong), looks up to see the thug falling asleep and his new companions continuing towards the herbalist

Well, that's an odd place to take a nap... (starts to mumble) I wonder if sudden narcoses is another symptom of this disease. I should add that to my list of questions for this Laurel woman

Then the alchemist proceeds to follow the mage and the paladin

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-27, 02:17 AM
Illyria sheathes her dagger, relieved that the confrontation ended without a fight, and steps back out of the alley to rejoin the others. She barely restrains herself from delivering a kick to the slumbering ruffian, then catches up with the group. "Yes, let's hurry on our way. I still haven't had dinner..."

Retro Gamer
2011-05-29, 10:35 PM
Around the corner from Jak’a’Napes, creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the façade of a rugged-looking, two-storey shop bearing the faded sign “Roots and Remedies.” A line of twenty-some sombre townsfolk – some with pale, wheezing children, others seeming to be precipitously near tears – stretches from the open door.

acid_ninja
2011-05-29, 11:18 PM
Eremond enters the shop.

Excuse me, I am looking for Laurel. We are hoping that we may be able to assist in finding a cure for this disease.

Retro Gamer
2011-05-30, 08:48 PM
The hacking and wheezing turns to a chorus of shouts and protestations as Eremond walks directly to the front of the line and heads for the door. “Hey!” splutters a burly, stringy-haired fellow. “Wait your turn like everyone else! We’ve been here more than an hour!”

He is backed up by the rest of the queue, who jeer and yell all manner of threats between bouts of coughing.

acid_ninja
2011-05-30, 08:54 PM
You misunderstand me. I am not here for healing, I am here to render what aid I can.
Eremond points the symbol of Iomedae on his surcoat.
If there is anything within my power to help you and your village, by the Inheritor, it will be done.

Diplomacy check (really need to spend some ranks in it):
[roll0]

Leviathan
2011-05-30, 08:57 PM
Theodosia

The noblewoman is about to respond to the jeering peasants when Eremond intervenes. That's probably for the best, judging by the incensed look on her pale face. Livid, she follows behind the paladin.

Drothmal
2011-05-30, 09:39 PM
Raigard tries to support Eremond's attempts to appease the crowd by waving his formula book (one of the swings narrowly missing the paladin), taking a deep breath and addressing the crowd

Worry not, for Raigard, Alchemist Extraordinaire, is here to help! We just want to talk to Laurel to understand better the diagnosis and prognosis of your disease. Also, we would like to find out the rate of dissemination of the disease, for it is paramount to making contagion projections and use that to determine if we can use the term epidemic to describe it.... well, I guess if the rate is higher than expected, we could be in front of a pandemic, but that would require an incubation period directly proportional to the distance to the nearest populations center, even though we should factor the populations sizes and access to other media of transportation Anyways, it is well documented in Lethor's compendium of diseases that an assertive scientific discussion has yielded new insight in treating possible epidemics of course, we should not get ahead of ourselfs on that account, but the point still stands with statistical relevance

Raigard, completely out of breath, gasps for air

Thus, it stands to reason that we should go, for it is in both our and your best interst

And, with a satisfied face, the alchemist will proceed towards the door

OOC: If anyone wants to stop me during the rant, let me know when and then I'll edit appropriately

Retro Gamer
2011-05-30, 10:24 PM
Although the jeering continues, those at the front of the line move aside from the doorway just enough to allow the group to push past. The smell of burnt earth and spicy incense chokes the air inside the cramped, mud-tracked shop. Bunches of dried herbs hand from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware of more arcane purposes. Pouches of rare plants, jars of coloured glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, and jellied animal parts fill high shelves and tabled doing double duty as displays and workspaces. In the shop’s rear, a rail-thin woman with severe looking spectacles and hair pulled back tightly busies herself between an overpacked rack of herbes, a table covered in stray powders and measuring equipment, and a pot loudly bubbling over with thick grey froth. Over the din of her work and without looking up, the woman impatiently shouts, “And what’s your problem?”

acid_ninja
2011-05-30, 10:42 PM
Eremond, grinning slightly at Raigard's enthusiasm, indicates the alchemist with a gesture.
We have come to offer what aid we can in dealing with this disease. My new friend here seems to have the most understanding of how these things work. Perhaps it would be best if you explained to him what we can do to help.

DaedalusMkV
2011-05-31, 03:04 AM
Illyria follows the others into Laurel's shop, a rather sheepish grin on her face; if she'd known there'd be this much fuss, she might have put up a slightly bigger argument when Raigard dragged her here. "Yeah, what they said. I... Don't suppose you're hiring someone to look for ingredients, are you?" She turns her head slightly, glancing at the enormous crowd of people waiting for the herbalist's attention, then looks back to Laurel. "I'm fairly inexpensive when it comes to short-term work..." It's not exactly the truth, but she always was a sucker for a good cause.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-01, 06:09 PM
The woman’s head snaps up, a look of extreme annoyance on her face. “Help?” she snorts. “Just ridden into town on white horses, have you? Look, I don’t mean to be rude but unless you’ve got some miracle cure then the line outside my shop isn’t going to get any shorter, and you being here will only prolong the wait for these people, which will mean I’m even busier. So if you want to help, how about getting out of my shop so I can get on with my work.” She heaves a sigh and goes back to the bubbling pot, but looks up again a moment later as Illyria makes her offer, the expression of annoyance now one of fury. “Inexpensive! Are you suggesting I pay you to help? Why, you…people are dying here. I don’t know who sent you, but quite frankly I’m past caring – get out!”

Drothmal
2011-06-01, 07:13 PM
Raigard, oblivious to the woman's anger, just strolls to the pot, observing its contents, trying to identify what's in them

Interesting! I can see you added Holly and distilled Belladona. Is that over there wolfsbane? I've been meaning to find some for ages, I wonder if it grows locally... Have you considered adding Myrrh to increase the salve's effects through inhalation?

Raigard never looks up from the pot, fascinated and taking notes in his head for his own research

EDIT: (Explaining what happened, just in case) Roller did not work, rolled in OOC, looked at result and then edited post accordingly

Leviathan
2011-06-01, 07:21 PM
Theodosia

And you thought the wizardess had looked livid when confronted by the thug... Her eyes flash, and her hands go to her hips. "You pathetic worm! You scorn my aid, and for that you and your entire rat-ridden town deserve to die a death of pustules and pain!"

Then she smirks; it is a dark look, somehow even less comforting than her rage. With a deadly calm, punctuated by a few hand gestures, she says, "but we can hardly expect such a simple woman to understand, so perhaps I will offer you a chance to accept our aid."

Casting charm person using my arcane bonded amulet spell slot. Will save DC 16.

acid_ninja
2011-06-01, 08:04 PM
Eremond's face takes on the same flinty aspect at Theodosia's outburst. His nostrils pinch with anger at her treatment of this well-meaning healer but he holds his tongue for now.

OOC: Started writing my reply before I saw the other character's responses.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-02, 07:30 PM
The woman’s eyes blaze at Theodosia’s verbal attack, but her expression suddenly softens as if she has instantly forgotten the affront and she puts down the instrument she is holding, and moves aside to allow Raigard to inspect the contents of the pot. “Yes, there are a few other things in there as well,” she says to him. “Take a look, I’d be interested to know what you think.”

“I’m sorry,” she sighs, turning to the others. “I don’t mean to snap. I’ve been working nonstop this past week and I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. I’ve given these folks what I can with what I have here but I’m starting to run out of ideas. All I can do is keep trying things with what I’ve got here and hope that something works. Unfortunately blackscour taint won’t wait that long. Soon the gravedigger will be busier than I am.”

Drothmal
2011-06-03, 01:42 AM
Raigard looks at the woman and the hazy and distracted look on his face fades, replaced by true concern and empathy, and a bit of sadness (for her good actions remind Raigard of his diseased master)

Of course, of course, I know how taxing constant brewing can be... Please know that all my knowledge and resources are at your disposal. Let's start with what we know:

Raigard, pulling some paper and scribbling notes on the margins, asks Laurel the following questions, writing down any important information

- When did the blackscour taint start?

- Do we know where it started? Have any samples from any contamination been analyzed?

- Is the disease contagious? Is is spreading?

- Is there anyone/any place that might have more information on this disease? How would we reach such source?

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-03, 06:47 PM
Illyria takes a few steps back from the irate herbalist, and is about to leave when Theodasia casts her spell. Immediately recognizing the cadences of magic and noting the immediate change in Laurel's attitude, the mercenary's eyes narrow and she shoots the wizardess a suspicious glare. Nonetheless, she remains where she is for now, if only because Raigard is so engrossed in the work.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-05, 10:26 PM
“About a week ago, or at least that’s when the first people got sick,” replies Laurel. “And yes, I know where it started: Brookman’s well, which is a spring on the edge of town. Blackscour is a fungus, as I expect a man like yourself would know. It’s good for nothing, likes the water, and gets you sick if you drink it down. You get the mold growing in you, and it starts eating away in your chest and belly and is damned determined to stay. Your body near turns itself inside out trying to hack the stuff up, but all that does is cut your guts up…bad.”

“Hard to tell if its spreading. You only get it if you swallow it, and the well’s been declared off limits, but at least half the town’s convinced they’ve got it. I reckon the real number is about thirty or so, but that don’t stop them all lining up here every day at the first sign of a cough.”

“Don’t know what sort of information you might be after. The only place I’ve seen this mentioned is in my grandmother’s book. There’s a brew in there that says it’s good for this kind of thing, some weird concoction, but it sounds more like hoojoo than real medicine.”

acid_ninja
2011-06-05, 10:34 PM
It sounds like we may want to check out this well.

Drothmal
2011-06-06, 04:05 AM
Eremond is right, we should check the well to take samples of the infected waters

Raigard then turns back to Laurel

Could I take a look at your grandmother's book? Maybe we could use her formula to get an idea of what ingredients to try first

If she gives the book to Raigard, he'll try to check the possible cure and see if it makes any sense at all. If it is not clear if the remedy will work, he will try to cross reference with his own books

OOC: this means I'll roll for looking at this cure. If I roll high (or very low), I'll make a decision about it. If I roll in the middle (result of 13-25), I might want to take 20, if that is possible

1d20+10

EDIT: Will roll in the OOC

Retro Gamer
2011-06-06, 05:30 PM
Laurel creases her brow. “What do you expect water samples to tell you?” she asks, curious. “It’s simple enough, I think: the blackscour got into the water and the people who drank it got sick. Do you have another theory, perhaps?”

“I already know the ingredients,” she says with regard to the book. “I have most of them here – rare roots and concentrations and such – but there’s three I don’t and what sound like a load of old nonsense to me. Granny knew her stuff, so I’m not saying it’s not going to work, but getting hold of these things is another story. Feel free to have a look though.”

She slides an old, loosely bound book over to Raigard. The handwriting is cramped and the page heavily stained from various spills and splashes, but it is legible. The recipe in question does indeed sound as if it would cure the affliction, but several ingredients are rather out of the ordinary. The first is something called Elderwood moss, which, according to a notation in the margin, only grows on the oldest tree in the forest. A specially pickled root called rat’s tail is the second, as well as seven ironbloom mushrooms which, according to granny’s notes, only grow in dark places thick with metal. Raigard has never heard of any of these, unfortunately.

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 06:16 PM
Eremond's grim face breaks into a grin for the first time.

Let's worry about finding the ingredients for a cure. We can sort out the whys and wherefores of the disease later.

Drothmal
2011-06-06, 08:13 PM
Laurel creases her brow. “What do you expect water samples to tell you?” she asks, curious. “It’s simple enough, I think: the blackscour got into the water and the people who drank it got sick. Do you have another theory, perhaps?”

Raigard looks a bit abashed at this. He then mumbles...

Well, I was thinking that maybe if we took samples of different points of the well we titrate them and establish the contamination point, which could be used to see what organisms had the best resistance to the blackscour and see if we could isolate the resistant factors and distill them....

Clearing his throat, Raigard winced at himslf: He had lost himself in the scientific method and had forgotten that all this research would take months if not years, time that the people at Falcon's Hollow did not have

Addressing Laurel, he replies You are right, we can look into that later

After getting a hold of the old book and looking at its contents, Raigard had to exert all his willpower not to get carried away and start scribbling notes for future reference. The alchemist proceeds to tell his new companions and Illyria of the three ingredients

Though it pains me, I have to admit that I do not posses not have heard of these ingredients... Raigard breaks into a huge grin Isn't that exciting!!!!

In an uncommon stroke of awareness about the people surrounding him, Raigard realizes that he might said too much

I apologize... I get carried away... But Illyria, this is great news! I mean... Maybe these people cannot pay your fees, but rare ingredients such as these could be worth more than your honoraries... And we have to go towards the forests, so your skills might prove invaluable... Raigard is trying really hard to sound as a businessman, buy anyone can tell that he just wants his friend to join the excursion

Raigard then asks Laurel where does she think that each of the ingredients could be found in the nearby area.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-06, 08:25 PM
Laurel purses her lips and thinks for a moment, before nodding. “I’ve thought about this a lot over the last week,” she says. “For the elderwood mold, there’s got to be an oldest tree in the vale. Damned if I know where it is though.

“The rat’s tail and mushrooms are even longer shots. Way north, towards the mountains, people say there used to live a bunch of dwarves. They’re not there anymore, but I’d bet their forges are. If you can find ironbloom anywhere around here, that’d be your best bet.

“As for the rat’s tail, who knows? Well. Actually. Ulizmila, the witch that lives deep in the woods might. She’s a crafty, mean thing that knows all sorts of strangeness. She might even have one. I don’t know what she might want for it, but I doubt it’d come cheap. My grandmother traded her sight to the old crone for a few pages of what she knew, and that was years and years back, and I don’t know a soul who got any nicer as they got older.”

Leviathan
2011-06-06, 08:34 PM
Theodosia

"This Ulizmila sounds like a harmless old lady," Theodosia says, dismissing Laurel's words of caution. "I am not afraid of a wizened, senile bat; she will cough up this rat's tail before long."

"As for the others," she continues in a loud voice, "I do not desire to traipse aimlessly through the forest, but sometimes such things are unavoidable." Her sigh suggests that she can think of no worse fate. "I enjoy living, you see, and unlike the rabble outside, I will bring all of my considerable power to bear on doing just that."

Drothmal
2011-06-06, 08:39 PM
Raigard frantically takes notes of the possible locations for each of the ingredients, muttering things such as "moldy mold mold that doesn't have a mold" or "I've always wondered if dwarven sweat has a larger mineral content"

At Theososia's comment, Raigard looks up and makes a mental note of asking her about her knowledge on degenerative mental diseases in Chiroptera, for it sounds very interesting

And where did this Ulizmila live?

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-06, 10:47 PM
"I don't work for free, Raigard. You know that. If you think we can make enough of a profit on this to pay my way, I'll be happy to help, but I do need the money." She turns to Laurel. "Are there any Druids around here? They tend to keep track of things like old trees, and there's usually a Circle or two around a big forest like this." She pointedly ignores Theodasia's comments; everything she's heard so far has done nothing to endear the Chelish wizard to her. "Abandoned Dwarven forges... They tend to keep some good stuff around. Maybe this trip will be worth it." It's a bit of a long shot, but they've probably got some scraps of valuable metal and the odd gemstone hidden away, after all.

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 10:55 PM
This is for the good of the community, so it may be possible to arrange a reward for you from the church. I can't make any promises, but I'll try to see that you're compensated if the dwarf mine turns out to be barren.

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-06, 11:07 PM
Illyria smiles at Eremond, her opinion of him changing quite dramatically. It seems that this particular would-be Saint has a bit more empathy than most. "Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment; most of your kind take offense when you ask for payment for your services. Very well, I have no further objections."

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 11:20 PM
I choose to live by a code. That doesn't mean I should force others to do the same. There's a difference between justice and tyranny.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-07, 05:52 PM
“Somewhere in the vale, but I’ve never been further than the edge of the forest,” replies Laurel to Raigard. “The places I mentioned – I’ve heard of them, but I’ve no idea where you’d find them. If you don’t know the area, your best bet would probably be to start with the Consortium Lumber Camp east of here. The road takes you right there. Ask for Milon Rhoddam, he’s the most experiences woodsman in the Lumber Consortium. He should be able to help.

“Druids? No.” Laurel shakes her head definitively. “The Consortium wouldn’t stand for folk like that getting in their way. If there are any in the vale, they’re best off keeping hidden.”

acid_ninja
2011-06-07, 06:18 PM
I think we should make our way to the Lumber Consortium Camp. I won't speak for anyone else, but I promise you I will do everything in my power to make sure that the suffering of this town ends.

Unless his companions have anything else they wish to say, Eremond heads towards the lumber party camp. Catching the eye of the man who objected to him barging in he says Be strong. There's hope for a cure.

Leviathan
2011-06-07, 07:20 PM
Theodosia

The wizardess follows Eremond, glancing haughtily at the sick peasants. "Yes, and whilst you are being strong, do not cough on me. Or anyone else, I suppose. Good day."

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-07, 09:45 PM
"No druids?" Illyria chuckles. "Oh, they're out there. You'll never find a forest as large and old as this without a Circle to it, but I suppose they'll avoid the woodcutters. Very well, we'll talk to this Milon fellow, maybe he can provide us with a tolerable map. Thank you for your council, Laurel. We'll do our best to find your long-shot cure." She follows Eremond out of the shop, then puts a hand on his shoulder and quietly says, "You've had a long day of travel, knight, as have I. We'll gain nothing from leaving while still weary. Come back to the Inn, have a bite to eat and a good sleep, and we can head out first thing in the morning."

acid_ninja
2011-06-07, 10:05 PM
Perhaps you're right. As much as I want to find a cure quickly, we won't be helping anyone by stumbling around in the dark.

Eremond sighs before turning back to the inn.

Drothmal
2011-06-07, 11:39 PM
Raigard, seeing his newfound companions starting to leave, start looking back and forth between the door and Laurel. Before Illyria departs, Raigard tells her, in a soft (and many times mumbling) voice

I was thinking that maybe I could stay for a while helping out? I mean, maybe Laurel will remember something else that could be useful. Besides, I want to become familiar with the other ingredients of the cure, for if it ever becomes necessary for me to make it. Also, I guess you could see it as a way of insuring your investment a bit better. On top of that, alchemy has many things that can be run in parallel, and I could more than double her work to help out the people here, and that would be good, right?

Raigard's voice sounds more resolute than usual Ill catch up with all of you at thee inn. I won't stay late, I promisehe adds with a wink

Raigard will stay and help out Laurel in anything he can. He will use his extracts for the day in any way he can (though he cannot use his potions on others yet)

He will meet up with the rest at the inn later at night

Retro Gamer
2011-06-08, 01:37 AM
Laurel initially seems quite pleased to get some assistance, and she happily allows Raigard to mix ingredients and reagents as she deals with the stream of wheezing customers. It is not long before the effects of Theodosia’s enchantment wear off, however, and while the herbalist allows Raigard to stay, she becomes a lot less welcoming, answering him with short grunts and snapping at him several times when he bumps into her in the tight confines of her shop.

Meanwhile, the others round the corner to find the thug sitting up, blinking in puzzlement as four men surround him, one of them lightly slapping his face. “What happened, Payday?” asks one of them, a nasty looking fellow with long, greasy hair. The others stand around looking rather edgy, as if they would rather not have been the ones to find this character asleep in the middle of the street.

“Not sure,” replies the man whom Theodosia had sent into an untimely slumber. “I was alright one minute, then…” He scratches his head and looks around, bewildered.

Leviathan
2011-06-08, 08:32 AM
Theodosia

"...And then I happened," Theodosia finishes for the thug. She stands, hands on her hips, staring down the men. "Your pathetic friend was in my way. I got him out of my way." She continues to glare. "It occurs to me that I have again found my path blocked by unclean mongrels." She takes a breath, then stops halfway through, lips tightening, and her glare becoming even more harsh. "Malodorous, unclean mongrels," she amends.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-11, 06:27 PM
The thug sitting on the ground gets up, towering over Theodosia as the other four move to either side of him. "Well, well," he sneers. "You're a stupid one aren't you? Thought you'd bested me and that wasn't good enough, so you came back to try again, eh? Well think again bitch.

"Let's teach these out of towners a lesson, boys," he says as the others begin to draw clubs and saps from their belts.

You don't have to fight this lot, though it's clear that they would love nothing more. That's why I didn't roll initiative, to give you a chance to do something else first, but if you're keen to wade right in, that's fine by me too!

Oh, and unless things get VERY noisy, Raigard is unlikely to hear anything over the noise of bubbling concoctions, coughing people and Laurel complaining.

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-12, 02:38 AM
Illyria surreptitiously loosens her sword in its scabbard, then crosses her arms in front of her breasts and glares at the lead thug. She's already grumpy after the exchange with Laurel and having to leave her dinner behind, and now this? "Oh, you think you can frighten us just because you're the big men in this town? Have you ever seen a "Revolutionary Militia" in Galt? They'll walk around door to door and gather up everyone who doesn't look patriotic enough, then line 'em up in front of the cutting block the next morning. If they don't scare me, neither do you. So, here's a proposition for you; you men can walk off, go home and play a game of cards, have a good evening, we all get what we want. Or, we have a fight here, you all wind up lying in a pool of your own blood, at least those who don't wind up as a pile of ash at the feet of the Mage here, and we have to stand out here in the cold for a while longer while my food gets cold. I know which one I prefer." She uncrosses her arms and rests her hand on the pommel of her sword, just in case she needs it.

Diplomacy, Illyria-style; with equal parts reasonable suggestions and death threats.
[roll0]

acid_ninja
2011-06-13, 05:37 PM
There is a steely rasp as Eremond unlimbers his heavy curved blade. He plants the tip in the earth at his feet and crosses his hands on the pommel.
These others have decided to aid in finding a cure for the disease that plagues this village. By the Light of Iomedae, I hereby swear that I will do whatever is necessary to see that this is done. I will lay down my life to accomplish this mission. Do you think I will hesitate for a moment to lay down yours? My friend speaks wisdom. Listen to her.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Trying to use aid another to help Illyria's check

Retro Gamer
2011-06-13, 05:39 PM
Illyria’s defiant speech and Eremond's sanctimonious pronouncement meet with derisory laughter from the thug and his four companions, tough, wiry men who look like they enjoy beating up old ladies for fun. To them, it is as good as an open invitation to administer a sound beating to a group of unruly outsiders.

Initiative

Thug [roll0]
Goons (4) [roll1]
Illyria [roll2]
Theodosia [roll3]
Eremond [roll4]

Initiative Order
1. Thug
2. Theodosia, Illyria
3. Goons (4)
4. Eremond
Round 1
The leader of the group has clearly shaken off his slumber and springs forward with a speed that belies his hulking frame. He charges at Theodosia and delivers a blow like a hammer with his huge fist, knocking the mage senseless and sending her reeling backwards several feet.

Theodosia takes 6 points of nonlethal damage and is stunned for 1 round (until just before her next turn – can’t take any actions, no Dex bonus to AC and -2 to AC).

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-13, 07:02 PM
Illyria wastes no time counterattacking. Ignoring the thug for now, she draws her sword and charges in a blur at one of his companions, attempting to take him out of the fight before he can react. When she strikes, she moves with the grace of a trained dancer or acrobat as she attempts to exploit her foe's weak points and aims for his vitals with her long Elven blade.

Making a Charge action against one of the Goons, with a preference to one on the far right. Since they haven't acted in the combat yet, they should still be flat-footed and thus vulnerable to Sneak Attack.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Leviathan
2011-06-13, 07:11 PM
Theodosia

The wizardess has just enough time to think oversized oaf at the burly man charging her before she smashed off her feet. Breathless, she groans out a weak "how dare you," otherwise quite unable to act.

Retro Gamer
2011-06-13, 08:04 PM
Illyria nips around the blind side of one of the men, but stumbles as she is about to deliver her blow and it is all that she can do to maintain a grip on her weapon. Her lack of grace causes her foe to laugh as he lashes at her with his club, which puts him off his swing somewhat and he connects only with fresh air, cursing as his blow whistles above the elf’s head.

Spotting the helpless Theodosia, one of the ruffians leaps forward and grabs her arms, pinning them both behind her back with a strength that she is helpless to resist and leaving her an easy target for the next blow that will be aimed at her.

The two remaining men gang up on Eremond, one darting in and landing a hefty yet superficial blow to the paladin’s ribs that knocks a little of the wind from him but does no serious damage. It does, however, leave him open for the second attack, a vicious club to the head that causes him to momentarily see stars, though he recovers quickly.

Eremond loses 3 HP (it's normal damage in this case) and is engaged by 2 goons. Theodosia is now grappled as well as being stunned. Illyria is engaged with 1 goon.

acid_ninja
2011-06-13, 08:52 PM
Realizing that the blow was meant to kill and seeing that his enemies are giving no quarter, Eremond responds in kind. The thug who threw the first blow is clearly the ringleader and Eremond knows that if he is dealt with the others will fall.

Eremond lashes out with his blade before stepping closer to the leader.

OoC: a map might be helpful. The simplest way would be a table.

Attacking the one who hit me: [roll0]
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Retro Gamer
2011-06-14, 12:34 AM
There is a squeal and the sound of bones breaking as Eremond’s sword hacks into his opponent’s ribcage. Blood coats the edge of the blade as he pulls the weapon free and the man drops to his knees, the colour fading from his cheeks as quickly as the fight from his heart.

Round 2

With Theodosia held firmly and dazed, it is a simple matter for the thug to apply the coup de grace, albeit one that merely knocks her unconscious rather than inflicting any mortal damage. One swat of his sizeable paw causes her to black out, her teeth biting down on her tongue and drawing blood, a wound that might not be life threatening, but will be painful later.

Theodosia is unconscious and has also taken 1 HP of normal damage. Illyria is engaged by one goon and Eremond two, though one is starting to slink away, a nasty gash in his side. The other goon now has his hands free after letting Theodosia drop to the ground.

DaedalusMkV
2011-06-14, 12:50 AM
Illyria grimaces at her misstep, then dances away from her current opponent to take advantage of the distraction of the two trying to beat down the Knight. Do what you have to to win... Any fight you walk away from is one well-fought. Old Adalias' lessons might not have agreed with the sentiment, but the old Elven blademaster never had to fight a war in Galt, either. Illyria once again strikes for the vitals, attempting to end this fight quickly.

5 Foot Step to a flanking position against one of the Goons Eremond is fighting, and another Sneak Attack.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Retro Gamer
2011-06-14, 09:59 PM
The man to whom Eremond delivered the wound a few moments ago has had enough, and manages to drag himself to his feet sufficiently to stagger from the scene of the brawl and lurch into a nearby alleyway, his breath ragged and his movements spasmodic.

His companion, the one who dealt the head blow to the paladin, soon joins him as Illyria's blade finds its way into his unprotected armpit and pierces the soft skin with little resistance, a precise jab that sees the man, who was about to lunge forward with his club again, turn tail and flee, blood already dripping from the wound.

That leaves two of the thug's goons in contention, both of whom are yet to suffer so much as a scratch. Illyria's foe follows her as she snakes away from him, and manages to land a blow to the back of her head with his sap, which causes a rather large lump to form within seconds.

The other man, having dropped the unconscious Theodosia, closes in on Eremond and delivers a hefty whack to the temple.

5 points of nonlethal damage to Illyria, 4 to Eremond.

Still no map I'm afraid, but the situation is this:

Both goons that were attacking Eremond in round 1 have fled after receiving rather nasty wounds.

There are two goons left, one attacking Eremond and one attacking Illyria. The fight is now very concentrated so that a five foot step is enough to reach either of these opponents for both Eremond and Illyria.

The thug is a few metres away and has turned towards the brawl.

acid_ninja
2011-06-14, 10:37 PM
You should have left when you had the chance Eremond grates as he steps into the goon, trying to hook his heel behind his opponent's leg and trusting his armor to protect him from the inevitable counter attack

Trip Attack: [roll0]