PDA

View Full Version : Last session you ran/attended

Necro_EX
2011-05-17, 06:36 PM
I've been gone for a while, lot of things going on for me and I've been all over the place, lately. I've been meaning to get back to the playground more often, and now's as good a time as any I suppose.

I could have sworn we had a thread like this, but I couldn't seem to locate it. Chances are I'm still just a tad groggy and didn't catch it.

So, last session you either ran or attended come in and share the tales of your gaming exploits. I'm sure something worth hearing happened either in-game or out.

--

Last session I ran was a d20 modern game set in a post-apocalyptic America, running some new mechanics both borrowed and 'brewed. We're using the shot clock from Aces & Eights (Which I would definitely suggest trying to work into any game you're playing featuring firearms.) and a similar setup for melee attack placement, also armor's function is to offer sectional DR.

So, the two players I have are this guy that's always been a bit of a problem player (Never bothers to actually roleplay, it's like he's just there to roll dice and listen to me talk for hours on end.) and a guy fresh out of jail (Great friend of mine, definitely glad he was only in for 9-10 months.) that's also been a tad of a problematic player (Always has the most ridiculous character concepts even when we're going for a more serious feel.).

This was the first session of this game, so it included character creation. The first guy rolled up a strong hero, Warbock, with some a handful of cosmetic mutations and one with an actual effect. Basically, he's a 40k Ork with a .50 cal antimaterial rifle. The other guy rolls up a tough hero, Grell, a brawler with some heavy mutation. He has a thick coat of fur, runs on all fours, and his fur's pigmentation changes with his mood. So I'm running a game with an Ork and a rainbow bear-man. wat.

With the setup out of the way, let's get to the real meat of this session, in bullet-point form:

-They're from a small community that lives in an old military compound somewhere out in the western half of the U.S.

-They're out to hunt for food, keep the supply up.
-They end up getting some wild dogs out on the flats under a chunk of highway.
-One was reduced to dog-jelly by that .50 cal.

-When they get back, they see that the sniper towers are empty and that the entrance has signs of forced entry.
-Make their way carefully through the building, check every room of every floor.
-Generally they find nothing more than scrap, but they do get a gun or two and some knives and such in the kitchen, storage room, and mess hall (pretty much all of which are filled with their dead clansmen.)
-In one of the rooms they find a lockbox with a machinepistol in it.
-In another they find a young boy (one of their own) freaking out under a bed.
-Naturally, they give him the MP.

-The rest of the building is empty and they leave with one of the carts (which Grell pulls), a radio, and whatever other scrap they have after seeing one of their elders face-down in a pool of his own blood having spelled out ZOD* on his desk (in that same blood, of course).

-Start heading toward the nearest civilization, Salt Lake City.

-Fight some raiders in the night.
-One gets his head blown off by the .50 cal
-The other gets tackled, then shot execution-style

-Encounter a traveling merchant (in a wonerful top hat)
-Basically, they just stock up on ammo, upgrade their cart, and get a steer.

-Meet an old man who gives them some rhubarb pie because he's kind of a boss like that.

-Come across an old hospital on their way to the city, seeing the city off in the distance.
-OH HOLY **** WHAT? A feral ghoul jumps out from the canopy and strikes at Warbock.
-Cue epic battle on a moving cart as 6 more ghouls join in the fight.
-One of them impales itself on Grell's spiked pauldron.
-One suffers death by curb-stomp.
-These *******s constantly aim for the face, it seems.
-One gets a golf-swing from a big ass pipe to the groin.
-One gets nearly broken in half by that same pipe.

-OH GOD, NO! Kris (The child with them) has been mortally wounded! D:
-Miraculously, they manage to stabilize his poor ass at -9.

-Cue mad dash to the city to get the poor kid treated.

-They make it in time and their steer plants both faces in the cement in town square, knocked unconscious from the effort.
-Let me just explain what that poor, poor, lone guard saw coming toward him.

A cart pulled by a two-headed steer is kicking up a massive cloud of dust as it comes toward the city at full-speed. On this cart are the corpses of seven dark-blue ghouls, a man that is nearly eight feet tall with an anti-material rifle on his back, a man covered in thick checker-pattern fur, and a young boy that's clearly been nearly torn asunder. For all this guard knew he, and a good chunk of Salt Lake City's population, was about to die.

-They manage to get the kid to the local clinic in time and he's currently stable and in a mild coma, with a chunk of his left thigh replaced with a sheet of metal.

McSmack
2011-05-17, 07:23 PM
Things have been crazy busy for me and my crew as well. Between running working a booth at a Ren Faire, deaths in the family, archeology field school and psychotic girlfriends my group's Saturdays have been a bit full.

Last session I gamed was my 'other' game, the one my wife hates because she's not in it (hey someone has to watch the offspring).

I'm running the published Eberron adventures that Wizards released right after the campaign setting launched, Shadows of the Last War. This is the second session and things went well. First session I hadn't quite realized how much tougher Pathfinder made low level PC's. They pretty much walked through everything, including the "overwhelming" encounters they were meant to avoid.

So I went through the module and buffed up the NPC's a bit, as well as giving them max HP.

The Mournland is a harsh mistress and I very nearly killed them all at one point or another, including the warforged cleric who keeps forgetting that he can swap cure spells for repair spells.

They've still got half a facility to explore and they're almost out of Goodberry wine, so we'll see how it goes this weekend.

They also found an armored catapult that the warforged is insisting they bring along so he can repair it.

Dark Herald
2011-05-17, 08:24 PM
My players dropped out of hyperspace at Rahkstam Prime in order to deliver some Toilet Paper to the Caliban, a pirate vessel. They pulled up next to the Pirate ship, and warily eyed the lazer turrets and missile tubes poking out through the armor.
The pirate captain Nick came through the airlock and examined the cargo, cutting one roll with a knife and proclaiming it good and soft. He handed over payment, which was immediately recognized as fake by the crew's computer expert. The pirates escaped through the airlock, and the players had go back into their ship to grab a welding torch.
As they were heading back, a missile launch was detected. The Pilot quickly decided to land on the pirate ship, which was somewhat difficult because the ship was spinning to provide artificial gravity. The missile was deactivated and "harmlessly" fell onto the planet. The players then cut their way into the pirate ship and fought their way to the transfer tubes from the spinning to the zero G section. they wedged a large Titanium girder into the passageway, and the zero G section began rotating as well, tossing most of the pirates into the bulkheads and walls.
The Pirates activated their hyper drive countdown, and started up their nuclear Pulse drive. The players had to get into radiation shielding stations before the countdown timer reached zero, and the ship jumped to hyperspace.

The pirate's hull wasn't designed for additional mass like the players' ship, and fractured. The pirates jumped to the nearest space station, which happened to be the ones the players had just escaped from drug charges on.

The players now have quite a situation to take care of, and several bounty hunters waiting for them on the station.

Bovine Colonel
2011-05-17, 10:24 PM
Last session the campaign came to a grinding halt. Two of the characters left to find non-adventuring jobs and the other three consist of a half-orc with intelligence 5, another half-orc, and a noble who doesn't exactly like the others.

Silus
2011-05-17, 10:58 PM
Last game I played was...two weeks ago this Sunday?

OWoD game, playing a True Brujah vampire with a Jean Reno "The Professional"/Vince Flynn's "Mitch Rapp" personality. Events of note:

1. Captured a pair of students directly linked to a rash of murders in the school.
2. Interrogated them. Half cut off the first's ear (Mr. Blonde style) and broke her hand when she tried to escape.
3. After a self-inflicted internal bleeding, turned the girl into a vampire after learning that she couldn't tell us what we needed to know, not that she wouldn't. (oops, my bad).

Dr.Epic
2011-05-18, 05:20 AM
Last session I DM'd my players had to steal a dagger...for Caligula. Do you really want to know what said dagger did?

Morph Bark
2011-05-18, 05:25 AM
The last session (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11008365#post11008365)? You don't want the last session. You want the one before it. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-18, 05:56 AM
Let's see... my attempts at gaming sessions have been decently-fruitful as of late, so why don't I share Monday's results with you... :smallsmile:

Monday we played some D&D 3.5... the fourth-level party, consisting of a Swashbuckler, a Fighter, a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Wizard, took on a dragon. And then another dragon. Admittedly, the first dragon (large green) was a lot easier to fight, due to a Quaal's Feather Token (of the Tree variety) being dropped on it. :smalltongue: Still, the second dragon (medium black) had five blackscale Lizardfolk backing him up. :smalleek:

On the other hand, the party knew what it was walking into - among other things, the Wizard had Ray of Enfeeblement prepped, as well as Resist Energy. :smallamused:

some guy
2011-05-18, 06:57 AM
Last session I ran was my first run of Gamma World. We played The Steading of the Iron King. The players were Harry the yeti speedster, Legion the empathic rat swarm and Taurus the hawkoid yeti.

It being my first time playing with dnd 4e rules and first time Gamma World, not everything went smoothly. I didn't account for the fact the adventure was written for 5 players and we had 3. In the first encounter two players went down. In the second encounter Taurus died and his body was later crushed by a dead yexil. We had fun though. I thrown in a sidequest of finding cards of Hunk Rump: the Gathering (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000026.html) for a trader called Elastic Hank.

My long running campaign only needs one final session and we're done, but it's hard to find a spot for that one (players have beaten the BBEG, but we didn't have time to round things up). *Sigh*
My CoC-campaign (players have found and fought the big bad monstrosity, lost one pc, ran away and unleashed the monstrosity upon the city) is also grinding a bit to a halt and the only campaign in which I am a player seems to be on hiatus.
Oh well, next week I can run a bit of DnD again (players ( 4 lvl 1's) have just encountered a ghoul in a carrion crawler infested abandoned mine while they are looking for kobolds).

Iceforge
2011-05-18, 04:29 PM
Just had an epic session as a player

The campaign centers around the incoming catalyst that destroyes the world as our characters know it; The world being Mystara, for the real old school players.

The characters was after our death in the catalyst brought before the Immortal who was formerly Khronos, Lord of Time, and offered he would send us back 6 years and we had to stop the Chronomancer (Time Wizard) named Azcan.

This was our 3rd session.

Attending the session was:

Maygood, our party wizard, level 5 human wizard
Lorenzo, our partiest skill monkey, level 5 human beguiler
Me(Carrick (yes, same as from the draw a character thread in the arts section), our parties healer, level 5 elf priest (homebrewed class, much less powerful than clerics, but clerics does not exist in this world)
And Miro, the party fighter, level 5 halfling fighter

There are 2 important sets of houserules for this story:

1) The GM got some homemade critical hits and critical fumble tables, which means criticals does not deal as much damage, but got possible added effects which can outshine the lost damage (for instance you might decapitate someone if you are lucky)

2) You can exceed your spell level and cast a spell you are not yet high enough level to know nor cast, but with some severe penalties, and even the possibility of death if you exceed your spell level enough.
When you exceed your spell level, you need to make a caster check (1D20+caster level + ability modifier) vs DC15 + spell level or a wild surge happens (for this, the GM got a table with 100 random effects or alterations to the spell that can happen)

So we got a timeline of what happens in a book and we want to stop certain events that trigger chains of events, and our first such event is a spy in a city that hates dwarfs and priests, who is about to uncover a secret magic practice and tell that to the countries enemies.
This will trigger a war in the long run, so we want to make the spy leave before he reveal and report on anything

After 3 days (ingame time) of planning, we arrive at our wizard using a spell to make the beguiler unnoticeable (he seems like just any other in the crowd and people who talk to him cannot give an accurate description of him afterwards) (homebrewed spell), then the beguiler, who is actually from the city (which is why he had to go very unnoticeable) went up to the spy in question and let him know his cover was blown, hoping this would make him flee the city and prevent the whole chain of problems.

The spy asks our beguiler a question to check if he is an ally, and as our beguiler fails the test, the spy uses expedious retreat and starts fleeing.

The rest of the party is standing nearby, and as the spy comes to run past us, our halfling takes this as a bad thing (much to the surprise of the rest of us) and decides to charge the spy and hit him with his two-handed weapon, but for non-lethal damage, just to stop him.

Critical fumble, and he needs to make another attack roll, as he has a chance to hit, but if he hits now, it is instead a normal lethal attack.
Critical strike, and confirms the critical.
Rolling on the tables, he chops off both the legs of the spy rather than just bash him with the flat side of the blade.

Panic, as I use my wand to heal the spy (as that will not reveal me for a divine caster, which would get me killed in this city), the beguiler goes invisible and starts fleeing, the wizard uses magic to disguise himself and walk away and the halfling picks up the chopped off feet and loudly asks me if I can mend those back on, as the city guard is approaching.

The magic using guardsmen are quickly intimidated after some lucky rolls of the halfling, and one runs off and gets a very high level wizard, who comes flying to kill us all (we have by then all broken our covers)

We got 3 choises to escape:
1) The wizard could exceed spell level and recall us to another place using some interplanar forks he got (custom spell, like plane-shift, but only inside same plane and without dislocation)
2) I can exceed my spell level and use planeshift, but as I got no planar fork, I would still only be able to shift us inside this plane, but with a 5-500mile dislocation
3) Hope we could somehow win against a high level flying wizard

Option 1 was not an option, as the wizard needs to prepare the high level spell (so he can have 1 backup spell prepared for exceeding level) and had not chosen the right spell for this situation.
Option 3 seemed like suicide.

So we gathered up and I cast planeshift, but I hit a wildsurge, rolls 61 and is told to roll a D4, roll a 4 and then initiative just changes, with nothing happening.

In addition to this, I suffered: Fatigue, -5 con, and my Str, Dex, Wis, Int and Cha scores was halved (yes, exceeding spell level comes with penalties that makes it an absolute last option)

Turns pass, cloudkill is used by the enemy, killing 3 of us as we fail our saves, killing us right away, which means our souls are relocated to this soul staff artifact we got, so we in 10 minuts can start possessing bodies like the magic jar spell (very nice item for avoiding remaking new characters all the time)

Only man standing is now the halfling, and at the end of the 4th round, he is reduced to unconscious, unstabalized, and 1 hp from dying and the DM shows that 61 on wild surge is the spell seems to fail, but fires 1D4 rounds later, so we are shifted out, landing 266 miles away from my elven priests hometown, which means we most likely are 3 dead bodies in the middle of the forrest and one dying halfling who will most likely die in the next few seconds, who lies in a random clearing in a gigantic forrest and got to wait until some appropriate life energies comes within range, so we can posess them and start restoring our bodies so we can return to our normal bodies and work on healing them up to full power and continue on our quest.

Was a fantastic session and is going to be very interesting to continue next session, we got all the things we needs spell wise to restore ourselves, while it may take a months or two of ingame time to recover, which is a pretty anoying setback as we got limited time, it was a fantastically epic session for one failed hit to take us on such a detour from our plan.

Grongore
2011-05-20, 01:57 PM
Last session i had:
wizard accidentally shot our fighter with a crossbow, got back handed
boss then almost killed the group with a bleeding out ape and wizard
next boss was 3cr higher, died in one turn

Necro_EX
2011-05-23, 06:46 AM
Another session of that d20 modern post-apocalypse game last night.

The owner of the clinic that they party went to last session requested that they go fetch some medical supplies to compensate for the work that he had done on them. Down the road outside of Salt Lake City was the ruins of a hospital that they had made occasional trips to to gather supplies. This hospital has since been overtaken by a gang of raiders, the Hackers, led by Jesse "The Butcher" Lyons, a drug addicted sociopath.

They go and find the fellow that reminded them of Crocodile Dundee at the local bar. With him was a young and wiry fellow, Simon. Simon looked like he was from a post-apocalyptic Sex Pistols cover band, liberty spikes and all.

They manage to get the two of them to help them, making the point that it's largely to help that kid.

So they go in guns-a-blazin'. They bust in through the back door and the majority of our night is filled with ultraviolence. It was a glorious display of carnage, there were shots being fired and cleavers being swung left and right. Simon runs ahead of the rest of the party and unloads on some of the Hackers with his two six-shooters and Dundee just nonchalantly takes some down with his knife. The two PCs do manage to find some morphine and tubing, the real goal here.

Then this happened:

Grell, the bear man makes his way to a room in the center of the hospital, kicks in the door and lobs a Molotov cocktail at the nearest Hacker and hits his arm. He then rushes over and begins to fight this one in a melee as Simon comes in through the northern door, taking a shot at one of the other Hackers. Grell gets double teamed but handles it well enough and just as Warbock and Dundee arrive Simon is fatally shot in the heart (do remember we're using the Aces and Eights shot clock. I had it on his heart and got a nat 20.) from the Norinco type 84 in the hands of a drug addled mook.
This was not something Dundee liked and he made it apparent by taking that mook to the ground and repeatedly stabbing him. Just as Warbock enters the room a man comes from the southern door, wearing the most body armor seen in this campaign so far, wielding a makeshift glaive. The armored man thrusts at poor Grell, crits, on his junk (also remember that table I made for melee attack placement.). This puts Grell in a seriously bad place. Good thing that guy is eliminated by a single shot from Warbock's .50 cal. His arm is blown off and he's forced to make a fort save against that massive damage and he fails miserably.

Thinking they were in the clear they continue to the next room that they find to be pitch black. From the other side of this room they can hear the scraping of metal on concrete. Grell lights the rag of another Molotov to give Dundee and himself some light just in time to see a cleaver fly out of the darkness of the other side of the room and strike Dundee in the thigh, quickly pulled back by the chain attached to it. That Molotov soon ends up on that side of the room so they might see their shadowed assailant. There he was, 'The Butcher.' A lithe man dressed somewhere between Pyramid Head and a cybergoth standing in the darkness behind a flipped over table wielding two heavy cleavers that have been chained together. The battle only lasts a couple of rounds, but Dundee and Grell both nearly end up dead and Warbock doesn't manage to do much other than stand in the back of the room and miss. During the battle the Butcher laughs and exclaims that 'their screams of agony are just like those at Girug!'* Grell tackles him and takes the fight to the ground and they manage to subdue him and bind him with an absurd amount of chain of rope.

Bleeding out they decide it is best to flee the now burning hospital, dragging the Butcher behind them.

The session ends again with the party being stitched up at the clinic, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.

--

*-The fort-town that both of their characters came from was named Girug.

Jubal_Barca
2011-05-23, 07:12 AM
First Ed DnD, I'm playing a half-elf wizard.

We've been exploring the dungeons below the ruined former family home of our employer (the place was burned down a couple generations ago). We're all fairly low level and with a ludicrously unbalanced party - our employer, Ven Cripp (Lawful Good and useless), his servant Sloss who we left outside with the donkeys, his friend Lord Calibray who's a pretty tough nut, and our party. The party being one NG half-elf wizard (moi) who can only cast sleep and charm person, a CN barbarian, a (LG of course) paladin, a TN half-orc who tends to carry a LOT of knives, and a LG elf whose class I forget (but he's essentially another fighter).

So... the session before we'd found some ghouls behind a revolving wall panel and chopped them up a bit, nice standard encounter. We then crawled down a tunnel after them and found ourselves somewhere we'd already been and thought was a dead end. Of course this too turned out to have a revolving wall panel, and a two-way split tunnel behind it.

Team LG (Paladin, Elf, Cripp and Calibray) went right; Calibray suddenly and inexplicably got a nervous attack and ran halfway down (more on him later), but the others found that the tunnel led up to the outside.

Team Neutral (Me, Barbarian, and Half-Orc) went down the other passage to find a wide hall with a spiral staircase in the middle, doors going off and an arch at one end. The place was some sort of armoury and had plenty of low-quality but useable gear (gear far too fresh to have been left by the original occupants 200 years back). We then went to the archway, which appeared to have a better section behind with much nicer gear... and of course when the barbarian tries to walk in, it turns out to be an illusion we hadn't though to detect. In the room is some strange female figure on a chair/throne, with huge ghoulish minion thingies feeding on corpses around her. Using my infra-vis I noted they all had low heat, with one stronger heat signal behind the throne.

We then legged it (I tried spellcasting and the throne-thing nearly paralysed me for my efforts), and met up with the others who'd turned round. The ghoul-things (which were bit 6ft6/7 strapping types and pretty nasty) started shambling out after us; there were four of them, plus dear old Calibray who it seems wasn't such a good chap after all (and even worse, he'd recommended Sloss to Cripp so that meant that Sloss was probably not on our side either).

We had the WORST combat rolls ever. My spells were ineffectual against the undead; the Barbarian tried and failed to tackle one, getting knocked out; the Paladin AND half-orc failed against another, with the paladin going down, and the elf ended up running away from Calibray. I tried to help the half-orc by grabbing a poleaxe and going for his ghoul, but quickly found that I too had left the world of the concious.

Cripp and the Elf legged it up the staircase, eventually finding themselves at ground level in the ruins, and the Half-Orc slung me over his shoulder and managed to get us out via the aforementioned right-hand tunnel. We met up back at the donkeys, where Sloss had disappeared...

...so now we have a barely conscious half-elf whose spells don't even work against our enemies (and I can't cast at +0hp anyway), a wounded half-orc, a half-elf and an ineffective foppish nobleman, and we're trying to rescue our two more competent fighters from the forces of magic and the undead. Solution #1 seems to be using our casks of lantern oil to make as many molotov cocktails as possible then going in and burning stuff.

Incidentally if anyone has any better ideas, please share them. We may need 'em...

Enix18
2011-05-23, 11:40 PM
After many long years of being the sole DM for my little group, I handed the reigns over to one of my most experienced players who is eager to learn the sacred art. His game of choice, oddly enough, was Naruto d20—a game that none of us had ever played. But hey, he's the DM now, it's his call, so the rest of us rolled up characters and settled in for something new...

Our last session sent us on a wild goose chase to locate a magic scroll, which was then stolen by the BBEG, which we then stole back from the BBEG while he wasn't looking, and which was then stolen from us again (presumably by the BBEG, again, though we're not entirely sure).

Amidst all this chaos and thievery, may character's been worrying about the others in the party realizing what's going on. He wants to reclaim the scroll for its rightful owners, the Sound Village—which is expressly in contradiction to the orders given directly to his two Leaf Village ninja allies by the Hokage himself. Luckily, in all the confusion they haven't actually noticed the conflicting web of loyalties that weaves through our party. I can only imagine what will happen when they do... :smalleek:

Seriously, though, we're having loads of fun. When I first heard the words "fan-made Naruto rpg" I had serious reservations, but I'm happy to say that my fears were unfounded.

RndmNumGen
2011-05-24, 12:37 AM
Last session, my group broke into a necromancer's ice palace. We didn't find any undead, though. What we did find were 5 Large suits of armor in varying colors(red, black, green, blue and white). Inside of each suit was a weird control panel. Further on in the palace, we found 5 spherical gems(a ruby, a chuck of obsidian, an emerald, a sapphire and a moonstone) which looked like they would fit into a depression on the control panel on the suits of armor we found earlier.

Each of us grabbed a gem and raced back to the suits of armor. Placing the gems into the depression activated the armor, connecting us to them via some sort of device that pierced the back of our necks. Then a Colossal ice sculpture of Tiamat attacked us.

TL;DR: We fought an animated idol of Tiamat while inside of Mechs. At level 2. Hell yes.

some guy
2011-05-24, 05:29 AM
Last night I put up my players (4 level 1 pc's) against 3 carrion crawlers, 1 young carrion crawler, 12 carrion grubs and 1 ghoul. (separate encounters) I never had a more combat orientated session, but it was fun and surprisingly no one died, they went from 800 xp to 2188 xp.

But it's weird having this many combats and this fast advancement. Oh well.