PDA

View Full Version : Defend the Princess! - IC

THEChanger
2011-05-17, 06:53 PM
The time has come. Word has been spread throughout the continent of Thalos. A great feast is being held in the capital city, the first such feast in a very long time. Representatives from every corner of the Material Plane are arriving in Thalos, each with different stories of why King Mordaci has called this meeting of the greatest rulers on Thalos. The rumors are as many as the people attending the feast. Some claim Mordaci is going to surrender to Corthar, after ten years of silent aggression between the two human nations. Others think Mordaci has lost his fragile grip on reality, and plans to assassinate his competition, so as to regain control of his empire. The most commonly held idea is that Mordaci is announcing his successor. After all, the beloved King is getting no younger, and has fathered no heir.
Ha.
You five know the truth. After all, you five are in charge of guarding the reason Mordaci called this feast. Princess Carmen. Your charge for the past 16 odd years(and, they have been odd) is going to be introduced to the world tonight. And, as is tradition, the kingdom’s nobles will compete to win her hand in marriage. King Mordaci has told you five this, and suspects treachery by the embassies of the new nations. However, he forgot to mention this to Carmen, who no doubt already know the fate her father has decided for her.
So, you five have gathered in Carmen’s chambers, as she completes the last of her preparations for the festivities. What is your next move, princess and guardians? How do you proceed?

Hemnon
2011-05-17, 07:02 PM
Gabrielle is standing behind Carmen, brushing her hair while she is humming one of her own songs in sylvan.
just for fun, here is my perform [sing] check: [roll0]
aw, just 40...:smallbiggrin:

Blackfish
2011-05-17, 08:14 PM
Virrid floats several feet above the ground, waving his hands in arcane gestures and muttering under his breath. For a short second, a scent that could almost be identified as pine spreads through the room, quickly dispersing.

The act complete, he drifts down to lightly touch upon the floor, smirking.

"Shall we continue? We wouldn't want to keep all of those important functionaries waiting, eh?"

Manifesting extended personal mind blank (15 pp, 2 day duration)
Manifesting detect hostile intent (0 pp, 210 minute duration)

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 08:15 PM
Gods, what in all the seven hells was my father thinking? He knows I plan to favor one, enable him to win, then murder him for wealth. What motivation could he have? And these tight clothes just don't suit me. I can think of about seventy different dresses in my wardrobe that fit the occasion perfectly. But no, Father insisted on a corset, top and short skirt. I would be more comfortable in breeches, a dress and netherwear. Maybe I should mess with the suitors by opening a rift to the far realm inside one of their goblets? No, that would cause father to worry his overlarge heart that his kingdom is being handled irresponsibly. What to do, what to do...HRRK Carmen jerks as a knot in her hair is accidentally pulled out by the brush. Otherwise, she is disguising herself as a different noble, working to hide the bumps caused by her wings.Disguise Check:[roll0]

cutlex
2011-05-17, 10:09 PM
Ghaden rests against a wall, restlessly polishing his sword.

I'm not sure how welcome my presence would be at an event of this magnitude. Of course, our Lady's protection would take precedence over such quibbles, but at a state event such as this perhaps i should remain outside. My skill at illusion is not as formidable as some of yours, but if there seems to be any trouble I can fade from sight and enter without commotion. Ghaden motions to the runes marking his silver scales before returning to his work.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-17, 11:15 PM
With Gabrielle working on Carmen's hair, Kourra busies herself by patching up a small tear in one of the princess' other outfits. Unconsciously, she's humming Gabrielle's tune as well, although nowhere near as beautifully. With all the fuss Carmen is giving over the situation, Kourra hopes there won't be any need for Ghaden to ply his trade, or she her's. The king seems to have enough troubles as it is.

Hearing the Air Stance active, Blindsense out to 30ft and +5 on listen checks
And Step of the Wind Active, ignore difficult terrain penalties and gain a +2 on attack rolls and +4 on Strength and Dexterity Checks against opponents who suffer said penalties.

Blackfish
2011-05-17, 11:23 PM
"Ah, Ghaden. How welcome will any of us be at their fancy banquet? We're not exactly your typical citizens, but we do have our duty, which is more important than a handful of ambassadors."

Virrid picks his skull off a nearby table, holding it up to examine it more closely and blowing a speck of dust from it. He then tucks it under one arm and ascends several feet into the air.

dspeyer
2011-05-17, 11:41 PM
Maggie is currently a small dog. Less cute than her usual wont, unless she sits up and begs.

"You might try not killing him immediately. Men are usually more fun alive. And if he bores you after all, it'll be easier to kill him later than to raise him from the dead.

In any case, would you rather I curl up in your lap or wander the floor pouncing on dropped bones like the other dogs?"

cutlex
2011-05-17, 11:50 PM
Hah, yes, but unfortunately I am unable to turn into a doddering old wizard or the form of a churchmouse. Rubbing elbows with a dragon may be a bit much for these humans. Still, we shall see.

Blackfish
2011-05-17, 11:54 PM
Virrid cackles and floats up to the ceiling.

"Yes, unfortunate for you that you weren't born a doddering old wizard as I was. Though I'm sure they'll listen to reason, and if not, I can give them a new reason to listen."

Virrid continues his eccentric-wizard style of cackling.

dspeyer
2011-05-17, 11:59 PM
I suppose "reason" the name of a new spell you've researched. Is it compulsion or just blasting?

Blackfish
2011-05-18, 02:30 AM
Virrid manages to reign in his mad laughter long enough to respond.

"What a cynical little hound you are, my dear. Compulsion, of course. Shooting fireballs is the work of the young, and the living. Anyway, our lofty king wouldn't look kindly upon me bathing his dining room -- not to mention his guests -- in flames."

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 03:50 AM
With the finsihing touch to Carmens hair, Gabrielle's song trails off into silence.

''Im gonna be right at your side my princess, if you need any help with the boring ones, just signal me'' Gabrielle says while fluffing out carmens dress, and just to be on the safe side, cast Prestidigitation, to remove any stains.

''so, are you ready?'' gabrielle asks carmen as she steps back from her, waiting at a suitable distance.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-18, 05:27 AM
Kourra sets aside her sewing and takes her place two steps behind the princess and to the left. "I agree that killing your match might be a bit rash," she says, quietly. "Perhaps waiting until you see the candidates first would be wise? Who knows, you might actually like one or two."

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 05:38 AM
Gabrielle mumbles an incoherent comment to what kourra just said.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 06:04 AM
I'm ready. Oh and Maggie, you can sit on my lap.

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 06:25 AM
''I'll get the door for you m'lady'' Gabrielle says and hurries over to the door and opens it for the princess.

Gabrielle is wearing her Courtier's Outfit (with jewelry), her waist-long hair is hanging free-flowing down her back and holding a beautiful Harp under her right arm. she isn't wearing make-up, but she does wear her clock of charisma over the outfit, along with her two rings (one on each hand).

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 06:32 AM
Why thank you, Gabrielle. Carmen is being nice, which you know means she is utterly infuriated with her father. She strides to the door, looking like a minor noble.

Carmen is wearing all her gear, extensive as that list is (not really), exept for her assorted Magitech items.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-18, 12:03 PM
Kourra glances over to Gabrielle for a moment with a blank stare before, with a roll of her eyes, returning her anxiety to the coming feast and following Carmen out of the room.

While her clothes are of fine quality, it is only when compared to other servants. Shes equipped with everything not in her pack, gauntlets, greaves, sword, and the like. She's not there to catch eyes, her heritage will do that just fine.

THEChanger
2011-05-18, 01:53 PM
As Gabrielle opened the door, who should be standing there but King Mordaci himself. Giving a wide smile, Mordaci spoke softly, having a good idea how his daughter must be feeling. "Good. You're ready. Let us walk together." Mordaci took Carmen by the arm. You notice he is leaning on you somewhat, almost as if he was afraid without your support, he would fall. "Carmen, my darling, I understand that you must be less than estatic for today's festivities. I imagine you must be feeling hurt, betrayed, and probably a little nervous. But, I have done what was best for you since the day you were born. Now, I have my second child to look after. My kingdom. You have grown into a fine young woman, and I have no doubt that you will make a fine queen, and a wonderful wife to whatever man you decide to let win." Having reached the doors to the dining hall by this time, Carmen's father stopped and looked her directly in the eye. "But you must marry. And he must, in name at least, rule when I am gone. This empire has always had a king. Not a queen. If this tradition were to break, I can not imagine the outcry from the populace. If you and I are to survive, if the KINGDOM is to survive, you must do this for me. Do you understand?"

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 02:08 PM
The same second Gabrielle realizes that the king is standing outside, she cries out a low yelp. She quickly recomposes herself and bows (the lady way, can't remember what its called).

''your highness'' she says and moves out of the way so the king and his daughter can have some space.

When they both start to walk, she follows behind, ready for whatever needs the princess would have and asks for.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 02:42 PM
Any wandering nobles who I come upon while walking are blinded (dancing lights in the eyeballs), int damaged to unconsciousness, then dragged to the nearest chair, then mod memoryed to not remember me with my father.

Yes, Father, I understand, but I would like to have some fun with their heads before I choose. Carmen takes the back way, the way that she is least likely to find a noble strutting through the halls. She then finds Brenna, the maid, knocks her out using touch of slumber, and runs out to the stables with brenna on her back. After commadeering a horse, she then makes her way to a back alley, then emerge to join the throng of nobles approaching the castle. She emerges, bearing the crest of some minor noble that no one has heard of before. The noble allegedly went on an expedition to Vulcan and returned with his vocal cords burned, and his face burned. He covers his face. To identify at the gates, I show the royal crest to the guard in question, or, if I know him, speak. As the nobleman's (who Carmen made up) vocal cords were burned, they were warped, and now speak in a woman's voice. Carmen enters the dining hall and befriends the men at my table by telling my fib of a story.
Bluff: [roll0]
Perform (oratory)[for my storytelling]: [roll1]
My 20 (disguise) is now a 23. (opposite gender -2, no wings +5)

Hat-Trick
2011-05-18, 03:46 PM
With Carmen running off to addle the nobility, Kourra's anxiety reaches a new level of critical. She's alone, she needs at least ONE of her guards with her, but she' just went off alone. Not sure what to do, she looks to Gabrielle in hopes that she has a plan for this.

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 03:54 PM
Kourra can see gabrielle waiting along the edge of the crowds, trying to locate Carmen, and trying to not be noticed by a certain maid who might be running around here as well.
the meantion maid is the jealous i meantioned on my sheet under 'enemies'

cutlex
2011-05-18, 04:07 PM
Ghaden is slowly walking behind the two royals before Carmen makes her own way. He mutters to himself and any of the others nearby.

Sigh, Carmen is being her usual difficult self. I could track her by scent, but I'm sure you fellows could find her much more quickly if you were inclined.

Still, she won't completely disregard her father's wishes, so I will take up residence with the guards outside our banquet hall. She will arrive at some point, and perhaps my presence will deter any would-be troublemakers.

Ghaden quickens his pace to follow his king more closely.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-18, 05:45 PM
Kourra slips in next to Gabrielle and whispers earnestly, "How can you be so calm? Carmen is alone! Something could happen to her." The crowd was making her nervous, yes, but that was nothing compared to not knowing where Carmen was. Unfortunately going to find the princess would probably just get her angry at Kourra, so she waited worriedly as the feast's guests arrived.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 05:48 PM
I go in after changing my outfit again, to another handsome nobleman (unknown of course). The outfit is over the other one.
Disguise: [roll0]+5 (minor details)=23
I then walk in with Brenna on my arm.

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 05:57 PM
''You really shouldn't worry so much, kourra. Carmen will be fine.... oh yeah, now that we are a little by ourselves.... um... have you changed your mind about... you know?'' Gabrielle half-teases.

while listening to different conversations and gently pushing away the males that want something else than to say hello, Gabrielle spots Brenna in the crowd and mumbles ''[muffled whisper] oh by the nine circles of hell....'' her facial expression changes to a sour pout, and her eyes follow brenna and is a bit surprised to see her in the company of a noble.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-18, 06:19 PM
Kourra momentarily forgets her worry and her expression changes to one of surprise followed by one of indignation. "No! of course not!" she whispers fervently. "Of all the times to bring that up..." her voice trails off as she scans the crowd once more in search for the princess. She bites her forked tongue lightly to distract her from her growing paranoia over Carmen's well being.

She notices Brenna as well and is equally shocked to see her on a noble's arm, but gives it little more than a odd look.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 06:23 PM
The noble heads for a table while doting upon Brenna, seeming ultra-friendly, even offering wealths and riches. Carmen try's to get her to blush.
Cha check: [roll0]
Are you friggin' serious? I rolled a 7,5,4And some other #. the forum roller hates me. :smallannoyed:

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 06:39 PM
''relax kourra, i was just kidding. do you know what that leeching witch, Brenna doing here?'' to get her mind off brenna, Gabrielle start to sing and play her harp, early wrinkles are caused by sour moods.
The music is a gentle harmonizing and peaceful mixture (This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiI4Lz-KMn4) is what she plays, while singing in celestial).
Perform (String instrument) [roll0]
Perform (Sing) [roll1]
i remember something like, if you get about 40-50 on a perform skillcheck you can attract 1 or more celestial (or even other extra planar) creatures this is the gm's choice however, but it would be rather cool to do

THEChanger
2011-05-18, 07:04 PM
"Wait, Carmen-" Mordaci let a low sigh out as his daughter dashed off. Her various attendants went about their chosen tasks, leaving Mordaci alone with Virrid. Turning to his ghostly wizard advisor, King Mordaci gave him a simple order. "Find her. And bring her back here."

Serveral noblemen and women look in surprise at what appears to be one of their own, accompanied by a maid of some sort. The newcomer was late, as was the King himself. Most of the assembled personages went back to their food, thinking nothing of it, but a few noblemen decide to mark this one, seeing a few bits that seem out of place. One in particular, a man dressed in drab black clothing, seemed to be very interested in this new noble. A involuntary shiver went down Carmen's spine when they made eye-contact, though whether of fear or exictement was hard to tell. However, as Gabrielle began to sing, the strange man's attention was distracted, as was all others present. As she finished her song, a couple of floating balls of light popped into the hall, emitting a small laugh as they circled around her in time to the music.
Never heard of that rule, but I like it. You attracted three glow-y balls. Can be identified by a DC 10 Know:Planes or Religion if you so please.
Made it?
Lanturn Archerons. In case you hadn't guessed.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 07:13 PM
DC 10
K (The planes): [roll0]I
add a few more glowy balls to the mix (dancing lights at will!). They swirl around her faster than the archons then dissipate.

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 07:20 PM
Bardic knowledge roll (the glow thingies)
DC whatever-GM-sees-fit
[roll0]

cutlex
2011-05-18, 07:33 PM
Confident in having detected Carmen's scent amongst the myriad nobles, Ghaden ceases his constant pacing and leisurely meanders toward the back of the room. He catches the eyes of a few nobles that seem, to him, relieved.

Hemnon
2011-05-18, 07:53 PM
Gabrielle keeps singing, and all who can draconic can hear what sounds draconic intertwined with the music and singing.
Casts 'detect thoughts' (targeting the crowd and filtering the other PC's thoughts out, letting them keep as much privacy as possible. no need for virrid, since he used mind blank) [DC 21 will to resist] (PHB) and 'true seeing'

Blackfish
2011-05-18, 08:00 PM
Virrid nods to the king and drifts up over the crowd, scanning the assembled nobles as he feels out for Carmen's mind. He matches her mind with a nobleman and chuckles to himself.

Vhulg then rises higher above the crowd, noting the strange balls of light and keeping an eye (and mind) peeled for any possible threats to Carmen.

Knowledge (The Planes) check: [roll0]
Spot check (for any obvious threats): [roll1]
Search check (for any hidden threats): [roll2]

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 08:21 PM
To the guy who looked at me funny and gave me a shiver:
I manifest Hypercognition. who the hell is he? [roll0]
Knowledge (The Planes): Is he at all not of this world? [roll1]

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 08:59 PM
(whispered to Vhulg)What do you want?

Blackfish
2011-05-18, 09:02 PM
Virrid whispers back to Carmen. "Princess, your father seems to have taken exception to you running off. I recommend you finish your game quickly and seek him out. This entire ordeal is in your honor, after all, and he would certainly be unhappy if you managed to miss it."

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 09:21 PM
Actually, I'm waiting for him to announce his heir so I can surprise the hell out of everyone here. And I'm here, aren't I? Please tell him...

Blackfish
2011-05-18, 09:51 PM
Virrid sighs loudly. "Yes, yes, fine. I'll tell him what you have planned, but I doubt he'll be thrilled about it."

Telepathy to the king:
Milord, your daughter has decided that she wishes to have some fun with the crowd. She insists that she will reveal herself as soon as you announce her existence, thus startling the crowd. I will remind you, milord, that there is no way to make her follow your plan without causing a scene. Unless you'd like me to use sorcery, milord.

Virrid then floats several feet above the crowd to avoid someone accidentally walking through him.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-19, 04:05 AM
"I haven't the foggiest," Kourra mutters to Gabrielle, watching Brenna and the Nobleman intently. She had given up searching for Carmen for the moment, she wasn't going to appear until she was ready, and instead continued to watch the odd couple. When the noble starts to pay attention to the empty air over his head, Kourra starts to suspect he isn't what he seems....

THEChanger
2011-05-19, 03:59 PM
To the guy who looked at me funny and gave me a shiver:
I manifest Hypercognition. who the hell is he? [roll0]
Knowledge (The Planes): Is he at all not of this world? [roll1]
The man's form is clearly human. However, his movements are not quite as fluid as they should be, as though he is thinking very hard about appearing as human as he can. There is no metal exposed on his person, so it is unlikely that he is a construct of any kind. Indeed, based on the fact that he has no metal visible, one could deduce that he is related in some way to the Fae. This would be consistant with the shiver, and his apparent interest in you, as the Fae have a tendancy to recognize their own. However, due to his very nice hat which covers his ears, it is impossible to say if he is perhaps an elf, or related to their kind.

Telepathy to the king:
Milord, your daughter has decided that she wishes to have some fun with the crowd. She insists that she will reveal herself as soon as you announce her existence, thus startling the crowd. I will remind you, milord, that there is no way to make her follow your plan without causing a scene. Unless you'd like me to use sorcery, milord.

Of course she has. That child. Nothing to be done. And, Virrid, I have no doubt that my daughter is more than capable of defending herself against your sorcery.

Stepping out into the dining hall, King Mordaci commanded the attention of the assembled nobles by ringing a glass of champagne. "Friends, countrymen, esteemed foreign guests. Thank you for coming to this momentous occasion. As you know, I have not been getting any younger. There has been some concern that I may even pass on before deciding on an heir. Or glee, as the case may be." With this, Mordaci gave a meaningful look at the dignitary from Corthar. "This is why I have called you here today. I have, in fact, decided on an heir, in a manner of speaking. I have always known she would be the Queen of this nation when I passed on. She is, after all, my daughter. Carmen, would you please come up here?"

Blackfish
2011-05-19, 04:21 PM
Of course she has. That child. Nothing to be done. And, Virrid, I have no doubt that my daughter is more than capable of defending herself against your sorcery.

More telepathy to the king:
I meant on the crowd, milord, not on her.

Moose Man
2011-05-19, 05:53 PM
Carmen makes the tiniest of gestures, and a glowin silhouette (dancing lights) appears next to the king. The sillohette takes a few seconds to come into being (a round). Another two appear, each taking a round to come into being, but placed in different parts if the room. While everyone is looking at the silhouettes of me, I remove my disguise, shroud myself in a fourth silhouette, step quietly onto the table, then have my and the other silhouettes eyes open. The silhouettes have my form, but are multicolored. The 'eyes' are black almonds near where the eyes should properly be. After they open, the silhouettes become orbs of multiple colors. They streak towards me, impact, then are absorbed. When they are fully absorbed, the silhouette fades, revealing me, but close to human. No wings.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-19, 06:15 PM
"That child is far too flamboyant for her own good at times,"Kourra mutters as the display takes shape. She turns to Gabrielle and asks, "Should we join her or stay as we are?"

dspeyer
2011-05-19, 11:57 PM
Maggie, still pretending to be an ordinary dog, cowers from the dramatic illusion, wrapping herself pitifully around the princess's ankles.

Hemnon
2011-05-20, 03:28 AM
''it's not offen she gets to show off kourra, let her have some fun while she can. i think it might be a good idea to join her'' Gabrielle says and starts to move through the crowd and stops her movement a few metres from Carmen.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-20, 12:27 PM
Kourra has to give way to Gabrielle's logic, Carmen DOESN'T get much chance to make a scene and its not the end of the world to allow her the chance. She follows Gabrielle through the crowd, but worked her way to the princess's other side while giving her the same room.

Moose Man
2011-05-20, 01:49 PM
Carmen walks along the table, attracting adoring eyes wherever she goes... At the end of the table, she jumps off, twirls and lands. Like the Red sea before Moses, she parts the ocean of nobles with her beauty and walks to the staircase that will lead her to the balcony on which her father stands.
When passing Ghaden, she runs up and gives him a hug. She then joins her father on the balcony, her claws hidden from the crowd.

cutlex
2011-05-20, 03:08 PM
For a moment, it seems as though Ghaden blushes. Then, as Carmen bounds up the staircase, he stands tall and spreads his wings. Just in case any onlookers were to think they saw something other than a battle hardened dragon.

Ghaden then glares over the massed nobles, searching for anything suspicious.

spot:[roll0]

Hemnon
2011-05-20, 03:11 PM
Gabrielle joins Ghaden and has a sly smirk on her face (teasing Ghaden about his blush).

if my spells are still active, i scan the minds of the nobles for anything suspicious, as well as looking for anything out of the ordinary among them with true seeing (if still active). Spot [roll0]

Hat-Trick
2011-05-20, 06:37 PM
Kourra isn't far behind Gabrielle, taking a position on Ghaden's other side as she waits for the king to continue.

Blackfish
2011-05-20, 07:50 PM
Virrid floats around ten feet above the crowd, making his way up to the front of the crowd, where any assassins could get the clearest shot at Carmen or the king.

Detect Hostile Intent tells me if anyone within 30 ft. of me while I travel is an assassin.
Sense Motive check as a free action (part of the power) against anyone who reads as hostile while I move: [roll0]

THEChanger
2011-05-20, 09:27 PM
The assembled nobility sat, transfixed in awe at the magical display. As Carmen walked to her father's side, they also became apprieciative of her natural beauty. A few noticed some small buldges on her back, but her beauty soon drew their eyes farther up. King Mordaci gave a small chuckle, and gave his daughter a small hug as she stood beside him. "Yes, this is my daughter. One among you, who manages to earn both her favor and my own, shall become her husband. Oh, and king of Thalos."
The nobles began to clap. As they do, Ghaden noticed one pull something from his robe. Vhulg, as he floats by, also noticed the man's thoughts turn to violence. But not of his own free will. The man has been controled by magic.
Roll initiative.

cutlex
2011-05-20, 10:26 PM
Ghaden growls and tenses up at the sight.

[roll0]

Blackfish
2011-05-20, 11:05 PM
Vhulg grins under his disguise, his face-tentacles uncoiling from his body and tensing to strike.

Initiative
[roll0]

Hat-Trick
2011-05-20, 11:23 PM
Kourra notices, Ghaden's reaction and follows his gaze to the man pulling something from his robe and her mind gets itself to act.

[roll0] Readied action to Shadow Blink in front of the Princess to defend her

dspeyer
2011-05-21, 12:48 AM
Seeing Vhulg uncurl, Maggie steps forward to meet any danger, her eyes, ears and nose scanning the crowd for trouble. She also tilts her head sideways in a distinctively interrogative way at Vhulg.

Initiative: [roll0]
Search (for whatever spooked Vhulg): [roll1]
If she sees the item pulled from the robe, she attempt to deduce or remember its nature [roll2]

Hemnon
2011-05-21, 04:59 AM
Gabrielle instantly readies herself, as Ghaden starts to growl, searching for whatever caused him to do that.
Initiative: [roll0] Spot: [roll1]

Blackfish
2011-05-21, 11:08 AM
Vhulg floats over to a position ten feet above the man, He focuses on the man.

Move action to get into position

Standard action to manifest decerebrate (XPH, p. 90) for 13 power points, with a DC 39 fortitude save. As a consequence, everyone within 15 ft. of Vhulg as he manifests decerebrate hears a sort of chiming in their head.

And if the save is made against decerebrate, Vhulg will manifest quickened decerebrate as a free action for 19 power points with a DC 39 fortitude save, complete with mind-chiming for all those nearby. Again.

I am still protected by superior invisibility.

Vhulg sends a mental warning to all of his fellow bodyguards, stating I am attempting to neutralize the assassin near the front. If we can take him alive, or at least not quite dead, I will be able to effectively interrogate him.

Moose Man
2011-05-21, 05:03 PM
Initiative: [roll0]Holy Gods. Oh dear, an assassin, what shaaall we do? Carmen says in a bored tone. She eyes the assassin, then sighs, bored.

THEChanger
2011-05-24, 07:59 PM
The man targeted by Vhulg's mental assault crumpled to the ground, laid low by the sudden burst of psycic energy. A woman in the crowd screeched, and a low murmuring goes up from the crowd. All except for the man in black, who very calmly, stood up, produced a knife from his hand and threw it.
Directly into King Mordaci's chest.
There is a hushed silence, as the magnitude of what just happened sunk into the assembled crowd. The man spoke, softly. "Sic semper tyrannis." The phrase was Undercommon, but broken, as though spoken by a foreigner. Turning around and giving a wave of his hand, a towering circle of mirrors formed in the midst of the hall. The man walked through the portal, but before he faded from view, the man turned to Carmen, and gave her a wink. The mirrors smashed together, closing the passage and covering the floor with shards of crystal. King Mordaci crumpled to the ground, bleeding profusly from his chest.

:smalltongue:
Spell can be identified with a DC 29 Spellcraft Check. More can be learned if you manage a 39. King Mordaci is bleeding out. Your move, Ghaden.
Note: None of you should have had an opportunity to stop the knife. On the off chance you did, and I missed something, then the portal effect still would have occured, but without death and a John Wilkes Booth reference.

cutlex
2011-05-25, 11:09 AM
Ghaden leaps to the side of the king and his daughter before attempting to treat the wounded man.

Heal: [roll0]

Regardless of outcome, he stands with weapon drawn, prepared for another strike.

Moose Man
2011-05-25, 07:02 PM
With a murmur and a wave of her hand, the wound (probably) seals up. Carmen then Walks over to Ghaden and climbs up his back.
Heals King through use of the Shades spell, then climbs up Ghaden's back.
Climb (if I have to roll): [roll0]
if I don't make that, my wings (still hidden) give me a boost. She gives Ghaden a hug.

Hemnon
2011-05-25, 07:13 PM
Gabrielle hurries to the kings side and checks for any vital signs, and if any she begins tending his injuries.

Heal check: [roll0]

if no vital signs, Gabrielle runs to Carmen.

THEChanger
2011-05-25, 08:17 PM
The wound left by the knife closed, and King Mordaci began to breathe once more. All the while, the nobles panicked in the background as the normal guards struggled to maintain order and figure out what in the Nine Hells just happened.
Those who are attending to King Mordaci:
You notice that, while his wounds appeared to have healed, his breathing is still very shallow, and there is an odd black discoloration around the spot where the knife entered his body. The wound itself was not very deep, and he didn't loose enough blood to warrant his continued unconsciousness now that he's been magically healed. He does, however, appear to have stabalized.

rouge112233
2011-05-25, 08:27 PM
The kings main bodyguard, Adrain, begins setting up a defensive position around him. 1d20+15 (def.) sorry if i dont know what im doin im new at this:smalleek:.

Blackfish
2011-05-25, 08:35 PM
Vhulg floats over to Mordaci and lands next to him. He takes a moment to resume his Virrid disguise and then dismisses his superior invisibility. He then places his hand on Mordaci's forehead.

Manifesting Empathic Transfer for 3 power points, making any one poison or disease suffered by King Modaci exit him and enter Virrid.

dspeyer
2011-05-26, 07:30 PM
Still in dog form, Maggie runs over to the king, puts her forlegs on the undamaged part of his chest and sniffs the wound thoroughly.

I don't know rules for smelling, but I'm guessing it's wisdom based and dogs get a +4 racial bonus.
[roll0] (if search or spot or anything like that gives synergy, add that)

dspeyer
2011-05-26, 08:51 PM
"Vhulg," Maggie whispers, "did you get the wand that guy was drawing when you took him out? It could be a clue."

Blackfish
2011-05-26, 09:46 PM
Telepathy to Maggie
Watch your tongue. I am Virrid, always Virrid, as far as most of our fellow guards know.

Virrid turns to Maggie, still holding his hand to Mordaci's forehead. "I will retrieve the wand and would-be assassin as soon as I am sure the king is not afflicted with any lasting ailment. The man there should live for a handful of days, in which time I shall be able to extract he knows."

Hat-Trick
2011-05-26, 11:07 PM
"Hells, I feel so STUPID," Kourra mutters to herself as she joins the others. If she wasn't concentrating so much on protecting Carmen, she would have been able to actually figure out the knife's target and stop all this from actually happening. Her position may be to protect the princess, but to the point of forgetting the king? She deserves any prejudice she receives for such a foolish mistake.

Hemnon
2011-05-27, 05:35 PM
seeing that a 'heal' spell has been cast, Gabrielle takes a step back from the king.

(this conversation is only happening if the king still shows sign of poisoning!)
''My lord if you are alright, then need to inform you about something, could you grant me a private audience?'' Gabrielle whispers to the king. and awaits his response.

Blackfish
2011-05-28, 10:13 PM
Virrid snarls and removes his hand from the king's forehead. "I can do nothing for him, make your peace. I will find out what the agent knows."

Virrid then floats to the fallen would-be assassin and makes sure the wand has not been stolen and the man has not mysteriously expired.

Hemnon
2011-05-30, 08:56 AM
''Carmen, shall i take the king to his quarters?'' Gabrielle asks, seeing that the king is still unconcious.
Heal check (to determin HP value and bodily status): [roll0]

Moose Man
2011-05-30, 10:03 AM
Yes, but we also need a powerful spell or power, such as Reality Revision or Wish to save him.

Hemnon
2011-05-30, 10:35 AM
''I will bring his highness to his room now, you can find me there.'' Right after saying this, Gabrielle utter a few draconic words and then she disappears in the blink of an eye with the king.
Casts 'Dimension Door' and takes the king along. she visualizes the space in front of the door to the kings personal quarters.

After arriving at the kings room, Gabrielle knocks on the door (just to make sure if anyone would be in there) and then proceeds inside carrying the king to the best of her ability, over to his bed.

cutlex
2011-05-30, 11:06 AM
Ghaden sighs and looks up.

At least you are safe, highness. Your father would have preferred it this way

Blackfish
2011-05-30, 09:05 PM
Vhulg picks up the wand and the would-be assassin and vanishes back to his lair. He picks a strange mesh of wires and metal off a shelf and begins fitting it to his prisoner's head.

"Wait, no, he can't answer." Vhulg sighs and removes the bizarre device. He affixes his tentacles to the would-be assassin's head and burrows through the skull, devouring the man's mind. Perhaps that will provide the answers that his thought extruder cannot.

Dimension Door back to the lair, tried to affix the thought extruder before realizing that the would-be assassin can't actually hear or reply.

Moose Man
2011-05-30, 10:42 PM
You do what you can for me Ghaden, I'm heading off to take a nap. Be sure to have in place some nasty suprizes for the suitors to discourage them for tomorrow. Let only the very cute ones (sorcs, Pallys, others w/high cha) and the mages (wizards/clerics) stay in the castle, let the others sleep outside for the night. Carmen slips off Ghaden's sholders, then skips to her quarters. Assuming she meets a mage of some sort, she will enquire as to his capabilities, and if he is powerful enough to remove the curse on her father, she asks him/her to do so, politely.

Hat-Trick
2011-05-31, 02:45 AM
Hearing Carmen's orders to Ghaden, Kourra falls into stride behind the princess and accompanies her back to her chambers to prepare for sleep and stand guard. She's not going to be off guard just because something already happened that night.

THEChanger
2011-05-31, 02:51 PM
With the main body of guards having been informed of Carmen's wishes, Ghaden was free to return to his ward's quarters, or prepare for the morning. Most of the nobility, in the face of what has occured, have left Thalos. They return to their estates. Most importantly, the delegate from Corthar has returned south, having stated that he would not deal with the obviously supernatural daughter of the late King. He seemed convinced, despite all news coming from the castle, that Mordaci is dead. The delegate from Mesrod has remained, not in any hope to win Carmen's hand, but because he and the King had been good friends, before the fracturing of the empire. The dwarven and orcish delegates have also returned to their countries, no doubt bearing news of the assasination attempt. The gnomes and halflings, along with a smattering of lesser nobles, have remained. Several among them seem to fit Carmen's designation of "cute", stereotypical knights in shinning armor. A few can be seen practicing spell-weaving out in the courtyard. Tomorrow promises to be very interesting.

As Gabrielle placed the king upon his bed, royal healers entered, and quickly set to work. They shoo you out, wishing to work on his Majesty in peace. You, too, are free to return to Carmen's quarters, or go about your own business.

Virrid
There it is again: that same odd magic signature. Not half Arcane and half Divine, exactly. More as though someone took the best bits of both, and squished them together. It's all over this brain. But, shuffling through the sub-conscious, you find that this man was almost certainly hit with two Dominate Person spells. One to implant the suggestion to use the wand on the Princess(Which you also discover is a Wand of Disintegrate), and another to make him forget the suggestion until the time was right. But you can just barely make out the form of the other assasin. He used a wand, it looks like, to cast the Domination. Is there anything else you would like to search for?

Carmen's Room

A knock at the door, soon after Ghaden and Gabrielle join you, if they choose to. A young voice, female, but unknown to you, called out from behind the door. "Lady Carmen, may I enter?"

Moose Man
2011-05-31, 03:49 PM
Carmen looks through the peephole in the door. I'm sorry for the impoliteness of this question, but it must be asked. What do you want?

Hemnon
2011-05-31, 04:08 PM
After being shoo'ed out of the kings room, Gabrielle disappear from the kings side within just a second.
Casts 'Dimension Door' again

Gabrielle reappears near the door to Carmens room.
Does she the person who knocks on carmens door?

THEChanger
2011-05-31, 08:40 PM
A young woman walked into the room, head bowed. Gabrielle recognized her as one of the healers who came to examine King Mordaci. She wore a symbol of Heironeous, and a simple monk's robe. Her face is downtrodden. "Lady Carmen, it is my regret to inform you that no healer currently within Thalos has the magic to cure your father. We have tried everything we know how." As she looked up, Carmen could see the pain in her eyes. Clearly, this woman cared deeply for the king. "He lives, but bearly. We can keep him alive, but only just. Therefore, the other clergy and I have discussed our next course of action." From within the folds of her robe, the priestess removed the crown which had fallen from Mordaci's head. "Princess Carmen, due to the dangerous circumstances of the time, and the recent attack, it has been decreed by the Church of Heironeous, in this time of crisis, that you must take up your father's place. By the power invested in me by the Silver Handed One, I, High Priestess Luna, hereby crown you Queen Carmen the Hidden." Presenting the crown to her new Queen, the High Priestess kneeled in reverence, and motioned for those present to do the same.

Moose Man
2011-05-31, 08:48 PM
Carmen looks stricken, her pupils dilate, then she faints, onto the stone floor that is characteristic of her past and current bedrooms.

Hemnon
2011-06-01, 05:53 AM
''Lady Carmen!?'' Gabrielle rushes inside Carmens room, the second Carmen faints.

Gabrielle tries to gently shake carmen back to conciousness.
''My lady, can you hear me?''

Hat-Trick
2011-06-01, 11:07 PM
Being beside Carmen as she faints, Kourra eases the princ-Queen, gently to the ground before letting Gabrielle nurse her. She stays knelt close by to wait for Carmen to wake up.

Blackfish
2011-06-01, 11:21 PM
Virrid uses dimension door to teleport into the hallway outside Carmen's room.

Virrid walks quickly into Carmen's room, brandishing the wand taken from the would-be assassin. "Princess, both the assassins were working for the Fae, though one was doing so unwillingly. The one I stopped was going to kill you with thi- Oh dear."

He sniffs, looking around the room. His eyes settle on the high priestess. "Comrades, has this young woman done something to our ward?"

dspeyer
2011-06-02, 09:47 AM
"Just brought a small shock" Maggie explains.

She sets down the knife she had carried from the audience chamber in a safe corner, then gently presses her cold wet nose to Carmen's ear -- the traditional small dog way of waking someone.

Moose Man
2011-06-02, 10:38 AM
HOLY! Maggie! Thank you, but you could have just waited 10-20 minutes and I would have woken without a dog's nose in my ear. Carmen sits up, rubbing her ear clean of snout liquid.

THEChanger
2011-06-02, 05:06 PM
The High Priestess cleared her throat as the wizard enters. She clearly held no love for the King's advisor. "I appologize, your Highness, for my abruptness. But, due to the current situation, we need to move quickly, and show our enemies that we are still strong. Corthar looks for any sign of weakness, that they might take Thalos from under us. The Church believes this to be their work. Corthian forces have been seen mobilizing on the border." She turned and gave a suspicious look to Virrid. "But, of course, the wizard has his own methods of interragation. Might I ask how you managed to cause the prisoner to give up his secrets? And why the forces of the Fair Folk suddenly find themselves interested in the affairs of mortals?"

Blackfish
2011-06-02, 06:53 PM
Virrid holds up the wands taken from the would-be assassin. "As you say, my dear, I am a wizard. This wand was taken from the assassin that I managed to stop. Though he didn't survive, I was able to read the object and find out as much as I did about this assassin. Later when I have more time I shall try again, and hopefully I will learn more about the second assassin." He turns to Carmen. "Additionally, Princess, the other assassin has the assistance of a mage who is capable of blending both my wizardly magic and the magic of the gods in his spells. Such magic was how the second assassin escaped."

Virrid throws the wand underhand to the High Priestess. "Of course, warring with the Corthians is a viable alternative to finding out who was behind the assassination."

Hat-Trick
2011-06-03, 10:38 AM
"Is such a thing possible? Blending magics?" Kourra asks, clearly unable to grasp such an outlandish concept. Magic was Arcane or Divine, not even those who used both could combine them in such a way... Could they? She shakes her head over her useless musings and says, "While the Corthians need to be taught a lesson, we can't just start a war with King... With Mordaci in such a state. Shouldn't we find a cure first? Or at least set a plan in motion to do so?"

dspeyer
2011-06-03, 10:51 AM
"And what exact state is King Mordaci in?"

Hemnon
2011-06-03, 11:02 AM
''I can answer that question'' Gabrielle interupts anyone who are about to answer Maggie's question.

''the king is suffering from a poison created in the realm of mirrors.... where the winter court rules.... this poison can be halted and ONLY halted by using medium level magic.... we would need a wish or miracle spell to cure his highness. i know that you princess carmen have cast a heal spell, which will halt the poison for about a week.... give or take...'' Gabrielle sits on an empty chair after explaining this.

cutlex
2011-06-03, 11:19 AM
Ghaden strokes his chin, having a hard time understanding the significance of two schools of magic. Knowing full well that Carmen's race has a strong proclivity to be meddlesome, he focuses instead towards this issue.

Perhaps we should pay this winter court a visit? Is such a thing possible? Engaging Corthir would be both costly and cumbersome; we should only consider it as a final alternative.

Hemnon
2011-06-03, 12:20 PM
''Ghaden, must we remind you that a certain... person from the winter court is after the princess?''

Gabrielle turns to Carmen.
''M'lady maybe we could visit the summer court... the contacted me through my mother, and last time i visited her i was informed that both the winter and summer court would like to get you over on thier side.... i really don't know who to trust so i haven't given any infomation about you to either of them.''

Moose Man
2011-06-03, 02:23 PM
I am NOT, I repeat, NOT going to the Winter Court under any circumstances. Never. No, not even then. Carmen seems enraged by the mention of the Winter Fae, and waves of hate start rolling off her, not that her intensity wasn't scary enough.

Hemnon
2011-06-05, 01:57 PM
''Please calm down M'lady, we are not gonna go there...... but what are we gonna do for the king? maybe the summer court could help us. if you wish, i could contact my mother and ask if she know of any means to save your father.''

Gabrielle mostly proposes this to try calm carmen down.

Moose Man
2011-06-05, 07:03 PM
Carmen takes a deep breath, then nods to signal her agreement with Gabby's plan.

THEChanger
2011-06-05, 08:52 PM
The High Priestess sighed, and shook her head. "Your Majesty, if you truly wish to proceed to the Fae, then I can not stop you. But please. The Corthians grow ever closer. At least give someone authority to organize the defense of our nation in your name while you journey to the Summer Court." Luna fingered her holy symbol as her eyes flicked from one member of the assembled group to the other. As she was standing in the middle of the door, she would have to be moved one way or another. Although, Vhulg could simply float through her...

Blackfish
2011-06-05, 10:37 PM
"If necessary, I can both accompany the Princess and organize a defense. Or I could take a quick detour on the way to the Fae realm and give the Corthians a scare." Virrid floats up off the ground and does a lazy spin in the air. "I doubt they have defenses prepared for a ghost, and all the more fun if they do!"

Using one of my Detect Thoughts SLAs on the High Priestess. I'll keep it focused as long as she's around.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 06:41 AM
I can simply stride in, and I doubt that they'll be able to capture me. They've got no idea what power I have access to. I'll scare the living daylights out of them. Carmen smiles wickedly, then touches the high priestess. (If successful) Carmen lays the sleeping high priest, Luna, on Carmen's bed to rest. (If not) Carmen offers the priestess a seat, as she seems nervous and stressed. She then uses touch of slumber next round.

THEChanger
2011-06-06, 09:12 PM
I'm assuming you used a Touch of Slumber on Luna the first time too. If that's so, it worked.
The High Priestess slowly felt the darkness fill her head, and fell into her Queen's arms. The door is now open. She'll be asleep for twenty minutes. Best get moving. She's not going to be too happy when she wakes up.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 09:16 PM
She's in the softest bed she's felt in all her life. She won't be happy with me either way, but she'll be slightly less mad. To Corthair!

Hat-Trick
2011-06-07, 09:50 AM
Kourra sighs audibly, but retrieves her things and rejoins the rest. The Queen wants to go to Corthar, she isn't going to stop her, no matter how bad an idea she thinks it is.

dspeyer
2011-06-08, 01:15 AM
"If the intent is to intimidate the Cortharians, perhaps a warning from a gold dragon would be effective? They won't suspect it's a bluff, because everyone knows gold dragons are honest." Maggie delivers this suggestion with as much of a smirk as a small dog is capable of. "So long as none of their diviners can see through a shapeshift."

Hemnon
2011-06-08, 03:42 AM
''aren't shapeshifting is a physical transformation? its not something you can spot with magic.... atleast i haven't been recognized in my shapeshifted stage before.''

Moose Man
2011-06-15, 11:18 PM
I can't tell the difference. After some deliberation, Carmen goes to her bed, then touches the priestess. The priestess's form ripples, then shines bright, nearly blinding all but the queen. When the light fades, what is left is a sleeping cat. Carmen picks up the cat, takes her keys, then heads towards the hangar. She puts the cat in one of the portable holes, but doesn't close it, just leaves it open on the wall. You guys coming?