PDA

View Full Version : Problem posting.

Areswargod139
2011-05-17, 07:18 PM
I keep getting this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

when I try to post on the Naruto thread at Media Discussions. I thought maybe it was my account but it appears to only be that thread. I thought maybe it was nearing its multi-page death point so I decided to make a new thread. That also got the above message.

So what's going on?:smallfrown:

Douglas
2011-05-17, 07:33 PM
Most likely, your post contains one of the keywords that are blocked by giantitp's security filter to prevent potential hacking exploits - most of which aren't actually applicable to this site anyway, but the hosting company doesn't customize it easily. The one that comes up most often is "lynx " (note the space at the end). It can be circumvented by breaking up the word in question with meaningless bbcode, such as the black color tag I put on the y.

Asthix
2011-05-18, 06:39 AM
Also, you cannot put two spaces after a colon.

Douglas
2011-05-18, 09:00 AM
It's more specific than that. "to: " triggers the filter, ": " does not (there are two spaces in each of those).

Flame of Anor
2011-05-18, 08:30 PM
Isn't outlawing certain character combinations a rather crude defense against exploit strings?

Rawhide
2011-05-18, 08:34 PM
Isn't outlawing certain character combinations a rather crude defense against exploit strings?

Yes. Which is why nothing on the server relies on it. It is simply an extra layer of defence for preventing exploits that haven't been discovered yet.