PDA

View Full Version : Low-level incorporeal undead?

Analytica
2011-05-17, 07:19 PM
Are there any low-level (low HD, low LA) incorporeal undead? I wonder for purposes of the Undead Leadership feat.

Shadows are ECL 6, Allips ECL 7. Both have drain attacks and spawn creation; are there any weaker versions, or similar creatures, which lack such abilities?

McQ
2011-05-18, 03:58 AM
In the Libris Mortis there is a template for an Umbral Creature.

It adds +2 to base creature (or +3 if Huge or larger)

It has a Create Spawn ability, and a Strength Damage touch attack.

Hope this helps :)

AslanCross
2011-05-18, 04:02 AM
The MM5 template "Phantom" allows creatures to become incorporeal and back. I'm AFB, but I recall that it gives a scaling CR increase (like Fiendish, etc.) that scales with the creature's HD.

ILM
2011-05-18, 06:26 AM
Are there any low-level (low HD, low LA) incorporeal undead? I wonder for purposes of the Undead Leadership feat.

Shadows are ECL 6, Allips ECL 7. Both have drain attacks and spawn creation; are there any weaker versions, or similar creatures, which lack such abilities?
There's always the Ghost template progression on WotC's website. You get etherealness (incorporeality when materializing) and undeath at ECL 1.

Umbral is LA -- and has restrictions on what it can be applied to.

McQ
2011-05-18, 07:06 AM
The MM5 template "Phantom" allows creatures to become incorporeal and back. I'm AFB, but I recall that it gives a scaling CR increase (like Fiendish, etc.) that scales with the creature's HD.

Challenge Rating: If the base creature is CR 4 or lower,
its new CR is the same as the base creature +1. If the base
creature is CR 5 or higher, its new CR is the same as the base
creature +2.
"...When you apply the phantom template to a base creature that
has a CR of 4 or lower, that creature has no Strength score when
it’s moving with its incorporeal movement ability active...
When you apply the template to a base creature that has a CR of
5 or higher, don’t change the creature’s Strength for the purpose
of resolving its attacks, and simply give the creature its Charisma
bonus as a deflection bonus to AC..."
No LA

McQ
2011-05-18, 07:15 AM
There's always the Ghost template progression on WotC's website. You get etherealness (incorporeality when materializing) and undeath at ECL 1.

Umbral is LA -- and has restrictions on what it can be applied to.

The Ghost template looks like a good bet, the Sense Physical Body ability is kewl.

I checked the Umbral template again and essentially anything but a Humanoid can be made into an Umbral; Humanoids are instead turned into Shadows.

Analytica
2011-05-18, 03:01 PM
So presumably I could have my ECL 2 followers be Human Commoner 1's with one level of the Ghost template class? That works.

Any way I can apply this to Commoner 1's that I kill? Say Create Undead? Also, are there any spells that lets me see into the ethereal plane?

Lastgrasp
2011-05-18, 04:48 PM
Ectoplasmic Creature in Pathfinder Adventure Path 43. Has an example creature and how to create them. The template(undead) was design to create ghostly encounters without making them incorporeal. It's a two page spread. Not incorporeal but good low level ghostly type creature.