PDA

View Full Version : Build suggestions for 15 Cleric Contemplative DMM

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 12:09 AM
I am interested in any help you can provide. This is for my very first PbP game, and I would like to just survive.

Here is the character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=298654)

But the gist is this:
32 point buy:
20 wisdom
16 char

Feats:
Extra Turning X3
Quicken Spell
Reach Spell
Divine Metamagic

Domains:
Balance
Luck
Protection
Travel.

Thoughts? Suggestions on magic items?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-18, 12:55 AM
Cleric 9 doesn't qualify for Contemplative, you need to be level ten to get the required 13 skill ranks. You don't gain skill points for leveling up until after you've picked which class to take, so you can't take the final rank at your first Contemplative level.

I would recommend you pay 2,000 gp to say you've visited the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel, to get Skill Focus: Kn: Religion without having to spend a feat on it. Go Cleric 5 or 6/ Divine Oracle 5 or 4/ Contemplative.

The Cloak of Charisma +2 and the Ioun Stone Charisma +2 are both Enhancement bonuses, which do not stack.

You have to take Divine Metamagic once for each metamagic feat to which you want to apply it, which of your metamagic feats did you select it for? As per the Complete Divine Errata (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), you may only pick metamagic feats you already know when taking DMM.

For items, get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed, as per DMG pricing (which overrules SRD pricing for D&D games) it should cost you only 9,000 gp, and it comes with the Beads of Karma and Healing. Also get a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, Full Plate, and a +1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield. Every day activate the Bead of Karma before casting your hour/level and 24 hour buffs. Use the Lesser Rod of Extend to put Magic Vestment on your armor and shield.

Consider getting a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity twice, and cast it on yourself three times with the rod, using the pearl to recover one. Pick a different energy type for each, they'll last 48 hours. On the days in between, prepare Energy Immunity and Superior Resistance each once, cast each and use the pearl to recover and cast Energy Immunity a second time, again using the rod. Pick the two remaining energy types for those, and these too will last 48 hours. This gives you a +6 Enhancement bonus on all saving throws and immunity to all five energy types, for the cost of those two items and two 6th level spell slots each day.

Addi
2011-05-18, 01:07 AM
If it's possible for your campaign, take nightsticks from Libris Mortis.
They grant you extra turn attemps so you're free to take other feats than "Extra Turning".
You might consider Devotion Feats from Complete Champion instead(my favourites are Travel and Knowledge).

Malkav
2011-05-18, 02:40 AM
Take extend and persistent spell instead.
Use divine power and righteous might to start with. Death ward and the spell that lets you go infinitely negative HP(its in Spell comp.) You basically win at life.

Malkav
2011-05-18, 02:43 AM
The Cloak of Charisma +2 and the Ioun Stone Charisma +2 are both Enhancement bonuses, which do not stack.

I hate that they don't stack. Utter Crap.

ILM
2011-05-18, 06:58 AM
Take extend and persistent spell instead.
Use [...] the spell that lets you go infinitely negative HP(its in Spell comp.) You basically win at life.
I don't think you can Persist Delay Death: range is Close.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 10:38 AM
*Snip*

Thank-you this was very helpful and clarified some things. I will drop the extra turning feats for a DMM Quickening and a DMM Reach and lose the charisma magic items in exchange for night sticks. Did I read it right, there is no limit on how many of those you can possess? and each give an additional 4 turning checks per day?

I will have to find divine soul, and read it over. It gives spell levels too?

Hmm, with contemplative requiring 13 ranks, it's impossible to get it prior to level 11, correct?

What are your thoughts on the diehard feat?

dextercorvia
2011-05-18, 11:23 AM
What are your thoughts on the diehard feat?

Shape Soulmeld: Rageclaws is strictly superior, unless you need it for a prereq.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 11:30 AM
Shape Soulmeld: Rageclaws is strictly superior, unless you need it for a prereq.

And where do I find that? And what does it do?
I was kind of hoping for a build under 3 books, to save space on my desk as I try to read them at once, but that may be out of the window now.

dextercorvia
2011-05-18, 11:40 AM
Magic of Incarnum.

If you don't have any essentia, it will be like Diehard, except you aren't limited to one standard or move action each round.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 02:13 PM
All right. I have 2 empty feats, which I suppose I can fill with extra turning, but does anyone have other suggestions?

Why Divine Oracle? For evasion? It doesn't seem to be a good trade off from the better saves and BAB of the cleric, it seems a complete waste of levels

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-18, 11:08 PM

Okay, I've read it , but I don't understand it. It doesn't seem to be a feat at all, but rather a spell that only a specific class can cast.

dextercorvia
2011-05-19, 07:08 AM
The feat is Shape Soulmeld. That lets you choose one of the soulmelds from the part of the book you were looking at. In this case you want to choose Rageclaws. You can "shape" it every day, and it has a duration of 24 hours.