PDA

View Full Version : Magic Circle - "Arcane" Material Components

Yorae
2011-05-18, 12:15 AM
I noticed on the Magic Circle Against X spell that the material component is listed as explicitly only applying to the arcane version of the spell...

Magic Circle against Evil
Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 3, Good 3, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 3
...If the circle of powdered silver laid down in the process of spellcasting is broken, the effect immediately ends...
Arcane Material Component: A little powdered silver with which you trace a 3-footdiameter circle on the floor (or ground) around the creature to be warded.

But the spell text explicitly mentions (in the "trapping a creature" use of the spell) that if the circle drawn with the silver powder (the material component) is broken that the trapped creature is freed... so, does a cleric casting this spell not run the risk of having the powder circle broken? I'm assuming that the cleric just magically defines the boundaries of the circle? Or would they somehow just conjure the powder as part of the spell and draw it normally?

Confused....

Cog
2011-05-18, 06:36 AM
Or would they somehow just conjure the powder as part of the spell and draw it normally?
I'd say this, since the description notes that there is a circle laid down as part of the casting.