PDA

View Full Version : Low level Captain America

Danin
2011-05-18, 02:10 AM
I'm looking for advice to give my character some very Captain America like abilities (Smashing people with a shield, knocking them down, throwing it) at as low a level as possible. I'm currently a level 2 Human Knight (Though I'm allowed to re-train my feats) and just want to be able to do more in combat than hit things really.

Unfortunately no (or very restricted) ToB, and no 3rd party stuff. Power isn't the main goal, more style (The party is a Monk, an evocation based battle Sorcerer, and a highly unoptimized Binder).

Other information: I get feats every even level after the first (So I have 3 to work with at the moment). No flaws (Well, 1, but I already have Natural Bond for my mount).

Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

Greenish
2011-05-18, 02:22 AM
Ranged (MIC) is a +1 enhancement on shield, that allows throwing it (and it'll return too). Agile Shield Fighter (PHBII) works as a TWF with shield and one-handed weapon, but requires no Dexterity, and has lesser penalties even with heavy shield. The prerequisites are Imp. Shield Bash and Shield Specialization.

Oh, I'll just give you a link to Person_Man's Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630).

Malkav
2011-05-18, 02:32 AM
Shield Specialization only requires shield proficiency and it allows you to get a +1 improvement to the Shields AC bonus with one type of shield that you select. Unfortunately, Shield Sling requires +9 BAB, Improved Shield Bash and Shield Proficiency, which is obviously a must.
So;
Improved Shield Bash(shield proficiency)
Shield Specialization(shield proficiency)
Shield Charge (imp. shield bash, BAB+3)
Shield Slam(imp. shield bash, shield charge, BAB+6)
Shield Sling(imp. shield bash, shield special., BAB+9)

That is about all the good shield stuff I can find.

Dralnu
2011-05-18, 01:30 PM
Shield Specialization only requires shield proficiency and it allows you to get a +1 improvement to the Shields AC bonus with one type of shield that you select. Unfortunately, Shield Sling requires +9 BAB, Improved Shield Bash and Shield Proficiency, which is obviously a must.
So;
Improved Shield Bash(shield proficiency)
Shield Specialization(shield proficiency)
Shield Charge (imp. shield bash, BAB+3)
Shield Slam(imp. shield bash, shield charge, BAB+6)
Shield Sling(imp. shield bash, shield special., BAB+9)

That is about all the good shield stuff I can find.

Well, these alone basically makes Captain America. Gotta love 3.5 for that!

The ones that I bolded are the most mechanically powerful. Add Improved Trip to it and Shield Slam becomes incredibly powerful. You'll probably want to dip into Fight2 starting next level for these feats.

If you can pick up +1 Ranged, then that takes care of your shield throwing. If you can't and still want to throw the shield, then go for Shield Sling.

Danin
2011-05-18, 03:31 PM
Thanks all, this is exactly the advice I was looking for. Person man's guide to shields is rather fantastic.