PDA

View Full Version : Help Me choose my character!!!!

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 11:01 AM
So, we're playing a sort of waterworldesqye game where we are all part of a band (we're all either evil or chaotic neutral, no good whatsoever) and are sailing from place to place for shows, killing bbeg's, all that jazz. We're all at lvl 3 so far.

Here's the party:
-Cleric
-Fighter
-Wujen Monk
-Warlock
-Bard
-1 variable (might or might not show up, no idea what he's coming as)
-ME

Question is... what should I be?

slaydemons
2011-05-18, 11:13 AM
So, we're playing a sort of waterworldesqye game where we are all part of a band (we're all either evil or chaotic neutral, no good whatsoever) and are sailing from place to place for shows, killing bbeg's, all that jazz. We're all at lvl 3 so far.

Here's the party:
-Cleric
-Fighter
-WuGen Monk
-Warlock
-1 variable
-ME

Some sort of swashbuckler? or bard eventually into dread pirate?

OverdrivePrime
2011-05-18, 11:15 AM
Some sort of swashbuckler? or bard eventually into dread pirate?

Agreed. The party needs a leader.
Bard or... maybe archivist?

Malkav
2011-05-18, 11:15 AM

Ranger/Leviathan Hunter.

Geigan
2011-05-18, 11:17 AM

Here's the party:
-Cleric
-Fighter
-WuGen Monk ------Wujen? or something else?
-Warlock
-1 variable ---------Mix or don't know yet?
-ME

What books are allowed?
Pretty varied party. I see a lack of a dedicated skill monkey. A dedicated utility caster can't go wrong for a more supportive role, and would take some of the cleric's weight. Possibly a bit more melee for frontline support.

If you want to go skill monkey you could go rogue, factotum(dungeonscape), or incarnate(Magic of Incarnum).

Tome of battle might be fun for some more frontline support, though in the same party as a fighter it might make him a little jealous of all the options you'd get.

A wizard battlefield controller would certainly be helpful.

With a party as large as this you could also go bard and buff effectively since you have so many to spread it over.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-18, 11:43 AM
Beguiler would give you a skill monkey and decent arcane caster. But the real question is, what kind of character do you want to play? There's dozens of possible options, and what really matters is what will make the game fun for you.

Morbis Meh
2011-05-18, 11:48 AM
I second factotum because they can do just about anything, or if you want some fun play a wildshape ranger (variant from Unearthed Arcanna I believe) and turn into aquatic animals and om nom nom enemies.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 11:48 AM
Forgot there's a bard, fixed typos, added a member.

slaydemons
2011-05-18, 11:52 AM
Forgot there's a bard, fixed typos, added a member.

let me find the book with dread pirate and see what you need I say find a way to there asap

yeah need a profession skill sailor 8 ranks appraise 8 ranks swim 4 ranks and rope 4 ranks then +4 bab and quick draw feat + weapon finesse its well worth it its in the complete adventurers book

Geigan
2011-05-18, 11:58 AM
Disregarding bard then(unless you want to play a bard too).

I assume that wujen monk is a multiclass? Anyway that seems like an F-load of magic, so utility caster would be a bit redundant then. Skill monkey could still work, but I think you may need some more frontline support, maybe in the form of something from ToB. If you want even more magic go gish to get frontline support, or maybe something from incarnum. Both could fulfill skill monkey or frontliner. Psionics if you want to be the odd man out.

Do you have any ideas on what type of character you'd want to play? a concept, a mechanic, anything? It's easier to flesh out a concept than take shots in the dark until we hit something. I'll still make suggestions regardless of course.

edit: Also still wanting to know books allowed/books you own.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 01:15 PM
Disregarding bard then(unless you want to play a bard too).

I assume that wujen monk is a multiclass? Anyway that seems like an F-load of magic, so utility caster would be a bit redundant then. Skill monkey could still work, but I think you may need some more frontline support, maybe in the form of something from ToB. If you want even more magic go gish to get frontline support, or maybe something from incarnum. Both could fulfill skill monkey or frontliner. Psionics if you want to be the odd man out.

Do you have any ideas on what type of character you'd want to play? a concept, a mechanic, anything? It's easier to flesh out a concept than take shots in the dark until we hit something. I'll still make suggestions regardless of course.

edit: Also still wanting to know books allowed/books you own.

The Wujen is a multiclass.

At this point, I want to be a fighter/tank type. (Are there any builds to give ridiculous regeneration/fast healing and DR?)

Bookwise: everything is available, 3.5 material, no homebrews.

Geigan
2011-05-18, 01:29 PM
The Wujen is a multiclass.

At this point, I want to be a fighter/tank type. (Are there any builds to give ridiculous regeneration/fast healing and DR?)

Bookwise: everything is available, 3.5 material, no homebrews.

Crusader(ToB) works great for that. Maneuvers that heal, grant DR, and boost yourself and allies. A bit of a gamble with the maneuver recovery but that's half the fun. A bit divine flavored but you could ignore it if that's not your preference. ToB has a lot for Melee and I would advocate it's use. Do beware though that it is generally considered more powerful than core Melee and tends to incite arguments if people playing those classes see it as OP in comparison.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 01:33 PM
Crusader(ToB) works great for that. Maneuvers that heal, grant DR, and boost yourself and allies. A bit of a gamble with the maneuver recovery but that's half the fun. A bit divine flavored but you could ignore it if that's not your preference. ToB has a lot for Melee and I would advocate it's use. Do beware though that it is generally considered more powerful than core Melee and tends to incite arguments if people playing those classes see it as OP in comparison.

This sounds like a job for the Ruby Windicator of Cthulu! (because yes, the cleric and the fighter both worship him. Makes total sense for a metal band!)

Geigan
2011-05-18, 01:41 PM
This sounds like a job for the Ruby Windicator of Cthulu! (because yes, the cleric and the fighter both worship him. Makes total sense for a metal band!)

RKW is awesome, just make sure to get your DMs ruling on divine impetus before using. As is it's horrible, standard action for a swift action woooooo.:smallsigh:

Jude_H
2011-05-18, 01:44 PM
Artificer (or full caster with crafting feats) roadie.
Turn the boat into some sort of floating magical jazz machine of doom.

marcielle
2011-05-18, 02:33 PM
4 magic users for a 5 man party does seem a bit much. An antimagic field would probably result in an instant wipe. If you want to be a caster, I suggest psionics just because all your powers work in an antimagic field.

Gishfish- Monk2/Psywarrior18. Goliath race
Monk and psywarrior, together with tashalatora(SoS) feat creates one of the better gishes out there. Psywar is replaceable with ardent(CP). No bonus feats but you can learn ANY POWER EVER allowing you to be both effective combatant AND utility. Just remember to take expansion and lion's charge ASAP. Goliaths are just plain cool-looking.

We gotta be sneaky- Rouge or ranger
Rouges need no introduction. If you have no dedicated utility casters one would be indispensible to your team. Whisper gnomes.
If you like rangers, remember that you can get a DINOSAUR as your animal companion by trading out your level 2 class feature. Also, aquatic wildshapers sound awesome too.

I just wanna thwack stuff - You already got one but fighters are notoriously inept at anything higher than low levels.
Warblades are awesome but you might risk completely outshining your buddy. Lion totem barbarian. Not as awesome as warblade but at least you're friend wont be completely superfluous. Just remember to let loose a great battlecry when you charge:smallfurious:

Wyrd sisters- Oh man, I got lots of suggestions if you just wanna play somethin wierd or funny.
Necropolitan(LM) taint scholars(HoH) are broken in a funny way. You buff you're own spells through the roof but go crazy every few casts.
Dread necormancers(HoH) for UNDEAD WYVERN AERIAL STRIKE SQUAD.
Mega Construct Psytrap/Psyarmor- Any class that make psionic constructs well, then read this: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10279.0

Divide by Zero
2011-05-18, 02:41 PM
If you want to be a caster, I suggest psionics just because all your powers work in an antimagic field.

Not according to the standard transparency rules. But since they're at level 3, AMF probably isn't going to be a concern for a long time anyway.

grarrrg
2011-05-18, 02:56 PM
Truenamer [/thread]

JOKING

Gullintanni
2011-05-18, 02:58 PM

There is nothing about this post that doesn't scream win. RKW.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 03:04 PM
Ok, here are my ideas so far.

-Crusader, Cleric, Black Abyssal God Horror Knight Windicator

-Frontline Druid (Can't decide on race, was looking at Shifter thinking my lineage could be from a wereshark, but found out you couldn't do that, so I thought Warforged... ...but that's just silly XD)

-Warblade- 'nuff said

-Swordsage- more 'nuff said

-Dread Necromancer, Walker in the Waste- (we do sort of need a crew... but how am I going to deal with the water? Remember, I'm on a boat.)

Gullintanni
2011-05-18, 03:10 PM
You don't have an Arcanist...what about an Uttercold Assault Necromancer? Gives you the crew you need with the sub-par evocation we've all come to know and love :smallwink:

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 03:13 PM
You don't have an Arcanist...what about an Uttercold Assault Necromancer? Gives you the crew you need with the sub-par evocation we've all come to know and love :smallwink:

I'm not familiar enough with either, and I only have one day to make this character, meaning I have to decide this now.

Gullintanni
2011-05-18, 03:15 PM
It's pretty easy. Just two feats. Energy Substitution and Lord of the Uttercold. This allows you to make all of your evocations into Cold/Negative energy hybrids.

Step 1: Animate Dead
Step 2: Cold/Negative Energy substituted Firewall
Step 3: Undead dance around in said firewall whilst fighting enemies
Step 4: Undead healed by negative energy fire.
Step 5: Win!

The best part is that because the fire is made of cold and negative energy, there's no risk of burning up your ship :smallsmile:

Although that doesn't really help if non-familiarity with Wizards is the problem. In which case, my vote goes back to RKV.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 03:26 PM
It's pretty easy. Just two feats. Energy Substitution and Lord of the Uttercold. This allows you to make all of your evocations into Cold/Negative energy hybrids.

Step 1: Animate Dead
Step 2: Cold/Negative Energy substituted Firewall
Step 3: Undead dance around in said firewall whilst fighting enemies
Step 4: Undead healed by negative energy fire.
Step 5: Win!

The best part is that because the fire is made of cold and negative energy, there's no risk of burning up your ship :smallsmile:

Although that doesn't really help if non-familiarity with Wizards is the problem. In which case, my vote goes back to RKV.

I understand how they work, but I've never played as one... -__-

Hirax
2011-05-18, 03:29 PM
Skill monkey+assassin?

Gullintanni
2011-05-18, 03:32 PM
I understand how they work, but I've never played as one... -__-

Sorry. Over-explaining is usually better than under-explaining. I come with a default setting. :smallamused:

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-18, 03:39 PM
Factotum/Warblade sounds nice. Int-based skill monkey that can hit stuff really hard and then hit it again really hard.

Luckmann
2011-05-18, 06:19 PM
I'd go with some kind of water-themed druid, I think. Take a big step as possible away from the dirt-groveling mud-peddlers dressed in green that we are used to and get into the vengeful dark blue sea.

The Great Father Sea takes what he wills, he gives us the bounty of life and it is to he we return upon our deaths. We eat from the watery cabin of his mercy just as the ones we consume shall one day consume us without fail. Such is the circle of birth, death and rebirth. May he forever guard us against the great burning satan in the sky.

:smallbiggrin:

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 06:30 PM
I'd go with some kind of water-themed druid, I think. Take a big step as possible away from the dirt-groveling mud-peddlers dressed in green that we are used to and get into the vengeful dark blue sea.

The Great Father Sea takes what he wills, he gives us the bounty of life and it is to he we return upon our deaths. We eat from the watery cabin of his mercy just as the ones we consume shall one day consume us without fail. Such is the circle of birth, death and rebirth. May he forever guard us against the great burning satan in the sky.

:smallbiggrin:

Ooooh it's what you'll do to mee.. oh.. and all humanity.. oh..

Ooooh you'll rise up from the seea.. oh..kill everyone slowlyy.., except the ones like mee... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA)

Luckmann
2011-05-18, 07:38 PM
Hahaha, that's not at all what I had in mind, but by all means, go right ahead. Thanks a lot for the song. For some reason, I had never heard that before. :smallbiggrin:

The idea for the water-druid came from the back of my head thinking about a custom setting where all elves live on the sea in a Waterworld-esque state, worshipping the sea with all the treehuggery usually reserved for the forests. Obviously, they'd have to, like, hug fish or something. :smalltongue:

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 07:53 PM
Bit of an off tangent, but I had an idea for a campaign which is basically the matrix, except swap out the machines for Illithids who are using humanity/every race for an energy source and the more intelligent ones in the pods for food.

Luckmann
2011-05-18, 08:30 PM
Could explain the insane persons in this world.

Illithids have been eating their brains straight out of the pods.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 08:39 PM
Mm... tasty...

Hirax
2011-05-18, 08:41 PM
Have you looked into the voidmind template?

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 08:58 PM
Have you looked into the voidmind template?

No, but that sounds interesting. What is it?

Hirax
2011-05-18, 09:02 PM
Monster Manual 3, page 187. Mind flayers will, rather than entirely eating someone's brain, will eat most of it, fill the victim's skull back up with psionic green goo, plug the holes, and BAM!, you've got yourself a new thrall. The mind flayers that made the voidmind can use dominate on the victim at will, with no opportunity for a save. This is actually a very powerful template, if it weren't LA+3, more people would probably use it.

TechnOkami
2011-05-18, 09:14 PM
I was wondering how they got Thralls...

Luckmann
2011-05-19, 01:52 AM
I was wondering how they got Thralls...

When dealing with Illithids, the answer is always "suck more brains".

riddles
2011-05-19, 02:15 AM
Am I the only person who thought ”wereshark” when he said he wanted dr and fast healing?

Luckmann
2011-05-19, 06:53 AM
Am I the only person who thought ”wereshark” when he said he wanted dr and fast healing?

Wereshark... druid?

Quietus
2011-05-19, 07:12 AM
RKW is awesome, just make sure to get your DMs ruling on divine impetus before using. As is it's horrible, standard action for a swift action woooooo.:smallsigh:

Hah, yeah. If only it had full base attack, advanced casting, and gave new maneuvers and stances, then its one broken mechanic wouldn't be so bad... oh wait...

Geigan
2011-05-19, 07:28 AM
Hah, yeah. If only it had full base attack, advanced casting, and gave new maneuvers and stances, then its one broken mechanic wouldn't be so bad... oh wait...

Well I wasn't saying it was a bad class. Divine Impetus should still be fixed if he wants to use the ability though.

TechnOkami
2011-05-19, 09:34 AM
Wereshark... druid?

Where be this madness???

~still waiting~