PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace: Burning Wheel

Totally Guy
2011-05-18, 04:42 PM
Looks like the current edition is out of print (http://www.burningwheel.org/) for good.

But I think this is just a way to get people looking and thinking about it for when they announce a new edition. Of course I'm right, you see they tagged the post "SSS11", and last year the Adventure Burner was the Summer Secret Surprise 2010.

So I'm guessing that after summer there'll be a whole new edition out.:smallsmile: Exciting times!

I hope it'll be a little simpler... maybe it'll have taken a leaf or two out of Mouse Guard's book.

Hey, we could even have an edition war and everything.:smallbiggrin:

Kaun
2011-05-18, 06:35 PM
Yay edition wars!

Hope so tho!

Good system, would be a shame to see it fall by the wayside.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-18, 07:03 PM
Why do we have to wait?

Clearly, the new version of Burning Wheel will be dumbed down and simplified, basically World of Burning Wheelcraft: The RPG. The current version of Burning Wheel will be overly complicated and only played by old grognards who can't get with the times and move on.

Knaight
2011-05-18, 09:38 PM
And they still refuse to release a .pdf, despite the fact that it has been scanned and easily avaliable online for a while (at least, according to Luke Crane). Urgh.

mint
2011-05-19, 06:31 AM
I hope it is dumbed down and simplified.

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-19, 06:56 AM
I, for one, am hoping that they finally wise up and release a .pdf. I have never played Burning Wheel, and I will never be able to until they do so or until I move to another country, so it would be a good move to expand their customer base to people like us. That is, of course, assuming they don't hate making money.

FelixG
2011-05-19, 08:54 AM
Dear The Glyphstone,

You have received an infraction at Giant in the Playground Forums.

Reason: Major - Flaming/Trolling

Original Post:

Why do we have to wait?

Clearly, the new version of Burning Wheel will be dumbed down and simplified, basically World of Burning Wheelcraft: The RPG. The current version of Burning Wheel will be overly complicated and only played by old grognards who can't get with the times and move on.

Please feel free to assign yourself those 100 infraction points at your leisure :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-05-19, 09:30 AM
*goes to check if Impersonating a Moderator is an Infraction offense*

darn, you have to use red text before I can whack you for it.:smallwink:

Knaight
2011-05-19, 10:09 AM

Clearly the proper procedure is to change the text red, wait a few days, then come around and issue infractions. :smalltongue:

FelixG
2011-05-19, 10:55 AM

-snickers-

The Glyphstone
2011-05-19, 11:37 AM
Clearly the proper procedure is to change the text red, wait a few days, then come around and issue infractions. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, I've used up all my abuse-of-power credits for the month by editing new posters to be WoW gold spam and then banning them for it. It'llh have to wait until June.Do I need a 'kidding' disclaimer?

FelixG
2011-05-19, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately, I've used up all my abuse-of-power credits for the month by editing new posters to be WoW gold spam and then banning them for it. It'llh have to wait until June.Do I need a 'kidding' disclaimer?

Want me to give you another fake infraction in June as well so you can spend one of those abuse-of-power credits to smite me as I properly deserve? :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2011-05-19, 01:07 PM
Nah, let's start talking about Burning Wheel instead. This has gone too far off-topic.

Great Modthulhu: So sayeth me.

Shut up.

Great Modthulhu: No u.

Doc Roc
2011-05-19, 01:16 PM
Why do we have to wait?

Are you kidding? I'd play a MMO based on Burning Wheel in a heartbeat.

erikun
2011-05-19, 01:58 PM
So what book are available for the Burning Wheel 1st edition, anyways? I have the base rules, along with the Character Burner, the Monster Burner, and the Magic Burner. I've apparently missed an Adventure Burner somewhere along the line, and have passed on the campaign settings for the system.

Anything else I'm not aware of?

Totally Guy
2011-05-19, 02:06 PM
There are five books in the series: Burning Wheel Roleplaying System, Character Burner, Monster Burner, Magic Burner and Adventure Burner.

There were also 2 setting books: Burning Sands: Jihad (a Dune style setting) and The Blossoms are Falling (Heian era Japan).

So I think you're pretty much there Erikun.

The adventure Burner is pretty neat. It's got commentary, scenarios and pregenerated characters. I really dig the commentary. It's even got four pages with rules on them.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-20, 12:08 AM
Are you kidding? I'd play a MMO based on Burning Wheel in a heartbeat.
Ooooh, that could be really cool if done right.

Knaight
2011-05-20, 02:20 AM
Concerning Burning Wheel, there are rumors on other forums that in Summer 2011 (that is to say, soon) a hard back book with both the character burner and core rules will be released. This would explain the removal of those items as individual products.

Unfortunately, I've used up all my abuse-of-power credits for the month by editing new posters to be WoW gold spam and then banning them for it. It'llh have to wait until June.
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Aron Times
2011-05-21, 10:17 AM
The popcorn shall be passed when the Edition War of the Burning Wheel comes...

So sayeth the Wise Yosef Kesef.

Tiki Snakes
2011-05-23, 09:46 AM
I'm really not sure how to feel about a possible new edition. I only just bought the current one to try and learn! A simplified version would be nice though, and a hardback would be more durable if nothing else...

Doc Roc
2011-05-23, 09:44 PM
I'm really not sure how to feel about a possible new edition. I only just bought the current one to try and learn! A simplified version would be nice though, and a hardback would be more durable if nothing else...

Liu Kang and his Burning Wheel are not wrong. Embrace the Wheel. Understand its turning.

Dan2
2011-05-23, 11:43 PM
My only regret is that I haven't convinced more people to play Burning Wheel.

Britter
2011-05-24, 06:15 PM
I don't think I would mind a new edition, since I think that the work BWHQ did with Burning Empires was pretty much superior in terms of clarity and composition when compared to BW Revised. I am looking forward to whatever Luke decides to turn his hand towards next. He has yet to let me down.

Xefas
2011-05-24, 07:36 PM
The only problem I can see with a new edition, which is the same reason I don't think there will be any edition wars, is because I fully expect the new edition to just be the same, only objectively better in absolutely every way with no downsides. Which means I have to buy a new set of books.

C'mon, Luke Crane, there's no interesting decision here. My only option is to give you more money and like it D=.