PDA

View Full Version : Need fast Zombie

Das Platyvark
2011-05-18, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know a good creature I can use in a low level zombie type campaign? It needs to be fast and strong, have really good jump, (or some kind of climb speed, and still be weak enough to go up against a 1-3 level party and not crush them. I'm thinking like the fast zombies of half-life 2. Any monsters as would fit the bill?

Halae
2011-05-18, 06:24 PM
This is actually an easy fix. Take a look at the zombies in the monster manual. A good way to make a fast zombie is to take away that slow trait they get and adjust their land speed until it's good. problem solved :smallbiggrin:

This one just seems like an easy fix to me

AslanCross
2011-05-18, 06:27 PM
The ghoul doesn't have the zombie's speed limitations, and has Climb +5 and Jump +5. Its CR is much higher than the human commoner zombie, though. It's contagious, too.

The ghast is even better, with +9 modifiers for both Jump and Climb. However, it might be a bit too strong depending on your party's op level.

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-18, 06:28 PM
Corpse Creature template from... Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin, I think.

Kogak
2011-05-18, 06:32 PM
Corpse Creature template from... Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin, I think.

Book of Vile Darkness, though I believe the LM has a template for a 'fast zombie' in the back.

Das Platyvark
2011-05-18, 06:41 PM
The ghoul doesn't have the zombie's speed limitations, and has Climb +5 and Jump +5. Its CR is much higher than the human commoner zombie, though. It's contagious, too.

I like the ghoul idea. they're just gonna come one at a time, drop in from above to scare the pcs, not like the zombies.
Thanks

Bob the DM
2011-05-18, 07:08 PM
The ghoul is the best movie zombie as they're actually out to eat you.

The dnd zombies are literally jus mindless corpses and they do what the animator says. If they're raised to dig a hole, they won't stop to eat someone walking by. But ghouls will. Although I don't think they dig holes...

Godskook
2011-05-18, 07:24 PM
If you want an 'actual' zombie, try Varag Zombies, possibly with advanced HD.

60' movement speed is solid enough that charging Varag Zombies will be able to keep up with anything that isn't at a dead run.

MrRigger
2011-05-18, 07:46 PM
Yeah, Libris Mortis has a Fast Zombie variant that can move and attack in the same round, and gains +30 ft. land speed. You can also say they were raised by a necromancer with a few Corpsecrafter feats, to stack another +10 ft. land speed and +4 init on top of that, and some bonus strength.

MrRigger

LOTRfan
2011-05-18, 07:50 PM
So a corpsecrafted fast varag zombie would have a base speed of 100 ft? I think I just came up with a plot for this weekend's game. :smallamused:

Ernir
2011-05-18, 08:00 PM
Necrocarnum zombies (Magic of Incarnum) are a bit speedier than normal zombies.