PDA

View Full Version : Hyperconscious

Lastgrasp
2011-05-18, 06:33 PM
Was wondering what's everyone opinion on Hyperconscious by Malhavoc Press? Does the material use 3.5 psionic ruleset and does work well with EPH and/or Dreamscarred Press Psionic Unleashed?

Kilbourne
2011-05-18, 07:06 PM
It's fine, I like it, you have to do a quick change to PF if you want to play it that way. Best part IMO are the prestige classes in that book.

sreservoir
2011-05-18, 07:33 PM
it's 3.5, yes, and it is possibly the best book on 3.5 psionics after the xph -- not that that's saying much, but.

psionics unleashed is basically 3.5 psionics altered to work with PF systems and with some buffs to the worse classes, no?

Lastgrasp
2011-05-18, 07:52 PM
I think Hyperconscious is written by the same author as EPH. While we on the subject on psionics. Any good suggestions on Aberration material besides Lords of Madness? I think I'm falling in love with the idea of Old Ones/Far Realm type creature with weird psionic powers.

Optimator
2011-05-19, 01:37 AM
I think it's a fairly good book. Worth getting for my group since we like psionics a fair amount.

Prime32
2011-05-19, 07:09 AM
Definitely better than Complete Psionic, which IIRC the creator of the psionics system was not involved in.

Some of the Psionics Unleashed stuff already existed in Dreamscarred Press material (which assumes you have Hyperconscious). For instance, the soulknife and wilder, minus PF's talents.

Jude_H
2011-05-19, 01:54 PM
Hyperconscious is a fantastic book.

It and DSP's Untapped Potential are definitely the two best supplements 3e psionics ever saw. Both have much more interesting content, better-designed crunch and just more material to play with than most WotC products. Hyperconscious has the occasional piece of odd balance (Ghostbreaker is to psionics what Abj Champ is to arcane magic), but nothing that's just fundamentally broken or poorly-conceived.

My only quibble is its inclusion of psionic combat, which really slows the game down. It's not a huge problem: Few of the external rules fiddle with mindscapes, so it's not hard to cut it from the game if you're not interested in them, and still use Hyperconscious's other material. It just cuts out one of the best steps I think the EPH made (turning psionic combat into in-combat powers like Tower of Intellect and Ego Whip).

Hyperconscious could probably work with Psionics Unleashed, but it could probably handle a bit of tweaking (adding HD boosts and round/day limits, tweaking skill lists, and maybe shipping in some class ability tracks).

Fantasy Flight's Twisted Lore has a bunch of Abberations. Most of the monsters are pretty cool, but the fluff is nowhere near as expansive as LoM's.