PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 2e

Silverlich
2011-05-18, 06:58 PM
Is the contagious power modifier way, way, way overpowered or is it just me? Forget using it on damage effects or stuff like Confuse. Use it on possesion for an army. Or, apply the the Continuous feat to 3 point mental transform and use contagious to create mindrape plagues whenever you feel like it. Better yet, use it on transforming something into a rat. If something comes in contact with the rat, they are now a rat.

Then I had an epiphany. Take the type 6 physical transform. use continuous and contagious. Take immunity to alteration for 5 points. Turn some random rock into dust. Drop the dust. You have created this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreyGoo

Did I do anything wrong?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-18, 07:06 PM
The power still requires a saving throw. Contagious is, in a way, just a fancy Area effect. There are dozens of ways to break M&M (the price the system pays for being so versatile), and even without using any of them it's very easy to make a character who can mess with thousands of civilians as he pleases.

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-18, 07:15 PM
There are easier ways to destroy the world. But no, Contagious is not really noticeably overpowered so much as anything is not overpowered in Mutants & Masterminds. That basically means that you are not supposed to use it for anything that might be overpowered. That is the one and only rule for balance in M&M.

For example, there is a simple trick to recreating Blast at 1 point per rank instead of 2. Take Move Object, add Damaging, reduce Duration to Instant. Bam, you can now damage things at range cheaper than the power specifically created for it. Also, you can throw things around as well. You can do that. Doesn't mean you should.

((There is actually a very good use of Contagious in Paragons, where a woman in a coma is slowly integrating people into a hive mind called the Unity. However, it requires extended physical contact to take effect, and can be saved against. If it were instead Perception range, No Saving Throw, it would be broken. But since it is built with a reasonable end point in mind, it is not.))

WildPyre
2011-05-19, 01:39 AM
The trick I've been looking at for the game I'm playing in, is a string of feats for combat... it's not a 100% win the game combo but it seems pretty redonlulis.

First get your Dex up pretty high and put your defense at the max allowed by your PL. You are now as hard to hit as the game will pretty much let you get. (you will get even harder to hit but the PL limits your total basic defense total)

Next crank up your acrobatics as high as the PL limit will allow you, your high Dex will help with this.

Take the following feats. Acrobatic Bluff, Redirect, Improved Defense (x2), Combat Reflexes (Mastermind's Manual), Counter Attack (Mastermind's Manual), and Defensive Strike (Mastermind's Manual)

It's like MC Hammer-Fu. "You can't touch this"

Just go into combat and take the Total Defense action, with your feats you gain another +8 defense above what the max is for the PL (Improved Defense), hopefully causing a lot of people to miss you. When somebody does miss you, you gain a "reaction" action to bluff them, if successful causing them to send that attack at an adjacent ally (redirect), you can make that bluff using your acrobatics skill (Acrobatic Bluff), and you gain an attack of opertunity against them (Counter attack) at a +4. (Defensive Strike) and you can make those opertunity attacks a number of times equal to your Dex bonus. (Combat Reflexes)

Minions are hosed and the BBEG will have fits.

Doorhandle
2011-07-18, 02:47 AM
You guys are much better at this than me. I just thought up the idea of a Pluto-sniper who can hit anything he can see (from Pluto), with an auto-fire disgeneration attack with a really high attack bonus due to all-out attack and accurate attack. I mean, it's not likely they could hit me back...

Also the idea of a mad scientist with a high quickness rank, so he could make an inversion for any occasion as he need them, almost instatiously.