PDA

View Full Version : Can a Psionic Tattoo hold and augmented power

veven
2011-05-18, 07:05 PM
Try as I might, I just keep finding arguments from a few years back about this. Can a psionic character augment a power in a tattoo? Could you have a tattoo of Augmented Expansion for huge size? Would the ML be considered 7 so it would also last for 7 rounds? Can you use overchannel to while creating psionic items?

RndmNumGen
2011-05-18, 07:48 PM
...yes? Why wouldn't you be able to? The increased ML needed would make it more expensive, obviously, but it's really no different from higher CL potions or scrolls.

Cog
2011-05-18, 10:53 PM
The manifester level for a standard psionic tattoo is the minimum manifester level needed to manifest the power (unless otherwise specified).
I don't see anything about you being able to specify otherwise personally, so that part is up to DM arbitration, and you're otherwise stuck with the lowest ML available.

...but it's really no different from higher CL potions or scrolls.
Augmented powers are generally much stronger than an equivalent spell at an equivalent CL.

Psychonix
2011-05-18, 11:29 PM
I had the same question a while back when I was playing a psionic rogue, I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure it out...

Short answer to your question? Yes, you can.

Long answer? Yes, however, the equivalent level of the power after augmentation CANNOT be higher than the limit of the tattoo. That's a level 3 power if I recall.

Somewhere in the expanded psionic handbook it gives the means of working out the effective Power Level of an augmented power based on the power points spent on it.

If the amount of power points that you are spending on the augmented power is more than the amount of power points it takes to manifest a 3rd level power, then it cannot go in a tattoo.

veven
2011-05-19, 01:13 AM
I had the same question a while back when I was playing a psionic rogue, I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure it out...

Short answer to your question? Yes, you can.

Long answer? Yes, however, the equivalent level of the power after augmentation CANNOT be higher than the limit of the tattoo. That's a level 3 power if I recall.

Somewhere in the expanded psionic handbook it gives the means of working out the effective Power Level of an augmented power based on the power points spent on it.

If the amount of power points that you are spending on the augmented power is more than the amount of power points it takes to manifest a 3rd level power, then it cannot go in a tattoo.

So it wouldn't actually work? Since augmenting to huge costs 6 extra for a total of 7.

Cog
2011-05-19, 06:50 AM
Long answer? Yes, however, the equivalent level of the power after augmentation CANNOT be higher than the limit of the tattoo. That's a level 3 power if I recall...

I'd like to see the citation for this, given the vagueness of what I posted earlier. It's entirely reasonable, and works well; a 1st level power augmented to 5pp is very similar to a 3rd level power. I just don't see such a limit anywhere in the text.

(2*power level)-1. Alternatively, it's the CL that a Wizard, Cleric, or Druid would gain access to spells of that level.

Psychonix
2011-05-19, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see the citation for this, given the vagueness of what I posted earlier. It's entirely reasonable, and works well; a 1st level power augmented to 5pp is very similar to a 3rd level power. I just don't see such a limit anywhere in the text.
Reading through the book again it seems you are right, it does not outright say it.
I would suggest house ruling it in regardless, as you can otherwise have some quite horrific tattoos.