PDA

View Full Version : Tintin

Fax Celestis
2011-05-18, 08:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ptMUR.png

This is a real thing.

Real.

Steven Spielberg producing and directing. Steven Moffat screenplay. Peter Jackson producing. Music by John Williams.

There is only one thing that can be said for this.

ಥ‿ಥ

trailertrailertrailertrailertrailertrailertrailert railertrailertrailertrailertrailer (http://www.tintin.com/en/#/tintinTV/tintinTV.swf?videoid=460)

Icewalker
2011-05-18, 08:27 PM
I love your response to this, and completely agree with it. I've been looking forward to this for a while! :smallbiggrin:

Boooo 3D. But whatever. It's not that bad. And hey, maybe they'll use it well, I think they're up to it.

I believe Andy Serkis is playing Captain Haddock.

Flame of Anor
2011-05-18, 08:33 PM
SOOOOOO EXCCIIIIIIIITTEEEEEEDDDD

thishadDARNWELLbetterbegood

Jahkaivah
2011-05-18, 08:34 PM
I really can't help but feel this is going to have uncanny valley issues.

I need a scene with them just talking.

Fax Celestis
2011-05-18, 08:37 PM
RELEASE DATE DEC 23 2011

Yesssssssssss

Flame of Anor
2011-05-18, 08:37 PM
I really can't help but feel this is going to have uncanny valley issues.

I need a scene with them just talking.

"Crumbs!"
"Thundering typhoons!"
"MY BEAUTY PAST COMPA-A-A-A-RE, THESE JEWELS BRIGHT I WEEE-A-A-A-R"

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-18, 09:07 PM
Oh my god. This had better be good. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2011-05-18, 09:26 PM
I owned every single Tintin book as a child, even the ones that were never released in English, in spite of the fact that I couldn't read them. And you know what?

I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

H Birchgrove
2011-05-18, 09:44 PM
I owned every single Tintin book as a child, even the ones that were never released in English, in spite of the fact that I couldn't read them. And you know what?

I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS!
Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in Congo has come out in (British) English since a few years ago. Just so you know. (I had to wait several years before I could buy Tintin in the Land of the Soviets.)

I AM ALSO VERY MUCH EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

Here's the international trailer if someone has missed it:

http://youtu.be/mmf6IwRnHGk

Fax Celestis
2011-05-18, 09:49 PM
It's based on Secret of the Unicorn. Which of course means sequels too.

H Birchgrove
2011-05-18, 09:51 PM
Another trailer, the US version:

http://youtu.be/ddiKjC_4BOo

DraPrime
2011-05-18, 09:52 PM
Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in Congo has come out in (British) English since a few years ago. Just so you know. (I had to wait several years before I could buy Tintin in the Land of the Soviets.)

*jaw drops*

You have given me the best news I have ever heard in my life. Thank you.

Also, I sincerely hope they keep Captain Haddock's ridiculous profanity intact. This movie won't be satisfying if I don't hear him yell "Blistering barnacles!" or "Thundering typhoons!" at least 10 times.

Icewalker
2011-05-18, 10:23 PM
I'm sure they will. Not like there's any reason to drop it, it's already a wonderful substitute for real expletives.

I don't think they'll hit uncanny valley much. I actually really like the look of the animation.

bluewind95
2011-05-18, 10:37 PM
O.M.G.

I... am... SO looking forward to this... it looks awesome, it WILL be awesome. It's TINTIN how can it not be awesome?

Thanqol
2011-05-18, 10:50 PM

I'm okay with this!

tonberrian
2011-05-18, 11:08 PM
Convince me why I should care about Tintin. Because I've never heard about it before.

Thanqol
2011-05-18, 11:12 PM
Convince me why I should care about Tintin. Because I've never heard about it before.

I'm afraid that, for me at least, an enormously unstoppably large amount is nostalgia.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-18, 11:32 PM
It's based on Secret of the Unicorn. Which of course means sequels too.

No, it's based on The Crab With the Golden Claws (where Tintin and Haddock meet), The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's treasure. The sequels will be based on The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun, and then Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon.

Fax Celestis
2011-05-18, 11:34 PM

Young reporter solves crime, explores ancient ruins, discovers Mayan spaceships, journeyed to the arctic, flies to the moon, trawls sunken ships, and more. Also was part of the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

eyeofsaulot
2011-05-18, 11:53 PM

I've never heard of Tintin either, but I'm most attracted to this because of all the names attached to it: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Peter Jackson, Simon Pegg... the list goes on....

Knaight
2011-05-19, 12:10 AM
Young reporter solves crime, explores ancient ruins, discovers Mayan spaceships, journeyed to the arctic, flies to the moon, trawls sunken ships, and more. Also was part of the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

Moreover, Tintin is pretty much an introduction into all that is good with the pulp genre, without the more "adult" elements that inevitably end up tarnishing pulp stories.

Dienekes
2011-05-19, 12:12 AM
I've never heard of Tintin either, but I'm most attracted to this because of all the names attached to it: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Peter Jackson, Simon Pegg... the list goes on....

With that much star power there's no way it'll fail!

$10 says it's gonna fail.

More seriously, could be cool. I'll definitely look into this.

eyeofsaulot
2011-05-19, 12:23 AM
With that much star power there's no way it'll fail!

$10 says it's gonna fail.

More seriously, could be cool. I'll definitely look into this.

Of course it's not failsafe; Spielberg has been pretty hit-or-miss for the past decade. But I'll be damned if that writing duo isn't a match made in heaven.

bladescape
2011-05-19, 12:28 AM
Tintin? Sign me up as excited!!!

Ha, I've still got a whole lot of those books lying around the house for the casual perusal of any denizens of this building.(Me especially!)

Xondoure
2011-05-19, 12:47 AM
So excited. Looks like it'll be a fantastic romp.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-19, 12:48 AM
SO EPIC!!!

What excites me is all the big names on this project.

Grif
2011-05-19, 12:57 AM
Now I can finally watch Captain Haddock swearing in real audio. SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-19, 12:58 AM
Random question. Is it just me...

Or does this (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2977741056/tt0983193) poster bear a strange resemblance to the Watchmen posters?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-19, 01:12 AM
Now I can finally watch Captain Haddock swearing in real audio. SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

But you could do that before, with the Nelvana series. That music...

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-05-19, 02:47 AM
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshoh mygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh

:smalleek:

*forgets to breathe*

*collapses*

Avilan the Grey
2011-05-19, 02:50 AM
Big. Silly. Smile.

Teutonic Knight
2011-05-19, 02:59 AM
And I just reread Red Rackham's Treasure this afternoon. This has been out for a while, but only the recently have the trailers come out.

The character I can't wait to see as well is Professor Calculus. Mishearing and being oblivious never gets old. Combined with his genius intellect and abysmal wisdom, which explain the failed Listen checks.

Just checked IMDB, no Calculus on record. Yet the keywords at the bottom say Sunken Ship and Shark Attack, so it is combining the too stories. :smallconfused:

They also have another slightly different trailer (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi140942617/).

raitalin
2011-05-19, 03:52 AM
As a life-long comic book reader I could not bring myself to read tintin. Gah, just so visually boring. As a positive, it really makes me respect the work Eisner did with the format.

Grif
2011-05-19, 03:57 AM
But you could do that before, with the Nelvana series. That music...

But but but.... that didn't count. (Never saw the series before, gonna find somewhere to get these in my country.)

dehro
2011-05-19, 04:09 AM
afraid it won't be half as good as it should be not to rape the childhood memories of..well..anybody alive who's had a decent childhood.
I think even my grandad (who's 91 yo) will want to see this.

Eldan
2011-05-19, 05:48 AM
But but but.... that didn't count. (Never saw the series before, gonna find somewhere to get these in my country.)

The cartoon series is really cool, and good, if you can find them. or at least they were some of my favourite movies when I was a kid.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-19, 06:33 AM
Was that trailer choppy for anyone else?

Meh, could be good, could be bad. Wouldn't be the worst comic book film out this year. *cough* X-Men *cough*

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-19, 06:36 AM
Oh my god. This had better be good. :smallbiggrin:

These are m feeling exactly. It could be good, but it has the potential to be absolute crap.

Was that trailer choppy for anyone else?

Meh, could be good, could be bad. Wouldn't be the worst comic book film out this year. *cough* Green Lantern *cough*

FTFY.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-19, 06:40 AM
FTFY.

Green Lantern will at least be entertaining in I can mock it with Lord of the Rings references.

The ring chose you.

How can a true sword & sorcery geek not have fun with that?

X-Men: First Class is just gonna be more retcons and mutant cameos rather than full characters. X-Men is the new Star Wars: the first two were good, third had problems, and now they're pumping out horrible prequels.

Selrahc
2011-05-19, 06:40 AM
I thought that trailer was pretty dire.

Fairly excited though. Looks like it's going to be covering the Red Rackham's Treasure adventure, which was a good one. It has a lot of good names attached. And its Tintin, so I've got a lot of nostalgia investment.

rakkoon
2011-05-19, 07:11 AM
Tintin is famous in America? And Switserland?
How did that happen?

DraPrime
2011-05-19, 07:51 AM
Tintin is famous in America? And Switzerland?
How did that happen?

By the sheer power of the quality of those comics. Nothing as good as Tintin can be stopped.

rakkoon
2011-05-19, 07:57 AM
Please, no Tintin vs O-chul vs Chuck Norris Threads. I don't think the world is ready.

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-19, 07:58 AM
How did that happen?

Tintin is famous everywhere. In Turkey, his name is Tenten rather than Tintin, but most of it is otherwise unchanged (though we keep the French names rather than the American ones).

Dr.Epic
2011-05-19, 08:09 AM
How did that happen?

I lived in the States my whole life and caught episodes of the animated show as a child.

Eldan
2011-05-19, 10:11 AM
Switzerland? Heck, kids here have to read something. We don't get American comics. We get truckloads of German Disney comics (barely any connection to the American ones, from what I hear) and French/Belgian comics. So, every kid here knows Asterix, Lucky Luke, Tintin. That's just inherently granted.

So, any idea why there's a desert in the trailer (I watched it without sound). There shouldn't be a desert in the treasure hunt arc. Just a lot of open sea and some islands. Maybe a castle.

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-19, 10:18 AM
How did that happen?

I owned at least 4 of the books when I was young, and I read them over and over again. :smallbiggrin:

Reverent-One
2011-05-19, 10:23 AM
So, any idea why there's a desert in the trailer (I watched it without sound). There shouldn't be a desert in the treasure hunt arc. Just a lot of open sea and some islands. Maybe a castle.

From what I've heard from other forums, they're drawing from a combination of The Crab with the Golden Claws (hence the desert), The Secret of the Unicorn, and Red Rackham's Treasure.

Voidhawk
2011-05-19, 10:56 AM
This has made my day! :smallsmile:

H Birchgrove
2011-05-19, 11:07 AM
Please, no Tintin vs O-chul vs Chuck Norris Threads. I don't think the world is ready.

"Not judo or karate! Savate is a sport FOR MEN!" :smalltongue:

Gaius Marius
2011-05-19, 11:20 AM

Plus, it'd be more appropriate to make him challenge more adventury-type characters.

Spirou vs Tintin vs Arsen Lupin, all on a wild clue chase around the world. Who wins?

Fax Celestis
2011-05-19, 11:46 AM
Asterix

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Asterix

Cespenar
2011-05-20, 02:40 AM
Me, I'm a little skeptical because of the Spielberg factor. Nevertheless, it's promising.

Athaniar
2011-05-20, 04:06 AM
I saw a trailer for it yesterday when I went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean, it looked really good, and the animation didn't bother me. As a fan of the comic series, I am really looking forward to this.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-20, 04:16 AM
Oh man. I am so excited.

valadil
2011-05-20, 08:32 AM
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little hesitant. Tintin was never a household name around here so I don't really expect people to rush out to see it.

As a life-long comic book reader I could not bring myself to read tintin. Gah, just so visually boring. As a positive, it really makes me respect the work Eisner did with the format.

Odd. Tintin was the only comic book I could ever get into. I guess I prefer mundane to over the top.

H Birchgrove
2011-05-20, 09:23 AM
While it was the adventures, the characters and the humour that draw me into Adventures of Tintin as a kid, it was the detailed artwork, the meticulous background research done by Hergé and assistants like Bob de Moor, and the relevance of world events reflected on the adventures that kept me reading the books.

It begins as early in the first book, Tintin in the Land of the Soviets. Sure, Tintin is here a bit like a bully (in a way, similar to the early Mickey Mouse), but he takes on the frigging Soviet Union. The Evil Empire. Despite the limited research (he had only one, very biased, non-fiction book to read), he got most of if it right. The Soviet Union did sell grain despite people starved (although, maybe more because Stalin wanted money to buy machines for the industries rather than "propaganda reasons"). People were forced to vote for the Bolsheviks despite that there alternatives (for some time, anyway). Maybe it's because I'm a hero-worshipper, but I can't help thinking that for all his faults, the early Tintin (and Hergé) had his heart in the proverbial right place.

But yeah, I know what some will say: Tintin in Congo is crapola. I like to read that particular crapola, and I get furious when some people talk about banning it, but the book is wrong on so many levels.

Tintin in America. Not without racial stereotypes (especially in the original B/W version which like Tintin in the Land of the Soviets had some nasty caricatures of the Chinese that are not far from Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu pulp novels), but at least Tintin and Hergé sided with the Native Americans on a moral level (Hergé had read about them before doing the story-arc), fought gangsters, and pointed out the flaws in the Volstead Act and misery caused by the depression. It even has a cameo of Al Capone!

Cigars of the Pharaoh. This is here we find the traits of the "classic" narrative of Tintin, which would get more complex as time would go by. Also, Tintin fights opium smugglers. Not quite like Traffic, but still. (We get to read how opium traders force Indian farmers to grow poppy, buy the crops cheaply and then sell rice and wheat expensively to the poor farmers. I dunno if that is how it was done, but it seems believable.) This adventure would continue with...

The Blue Lotus. The book that made me a Tintin fanatic. The first one with really good research, thanks to Hergé's friendship with Chinese art student Zhang Chongren who helped Hergé to make a fair portrayal of the Chinese and their culture, and become the basis for the fictional Chang Chong-Chen in the book. Highly critical against The International Settlement in Shanghai and the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, it was controversial and made Japanese diplomats protest against it.

I could write more, about each book, but I think I got my point through. :smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2011-05-20, 12:56 PM
No, it's based on The Crab With the Golden Claws (where Tintin and Haddock meet), The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's treasure. The sequels will be based on The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun, and then Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon.

I'm literally forcing myself to be coherent because of how awesome that is.

kpenguin
2011-05-20, 01:03 PM
I wonder why they haven't announced Professor Calculus's appearance... or absence. I mean, if they were going to take him out, I'd think they'd at least say so and explain their reasoning. The odd silence over the matter makes me wonder what they plan...

Trazoi
2011-05-20, 07:25 PM
How did that happen?
Tintin and Asterix were the comics in my local library when I was growing up, so I read them all. They're popular everywhere.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-21, 04:44 AM
Love TinTin, must admit I got really excited due to the poster and then the trailer came out and I was underwhelmed. A lot of the characters seem to have no weight to them. For example, when TinTin throws that punch - something isn't quite natural about the movement. But I'm sure they are still working on the graphics. Later trailers will perhaps be better.

FTFY.

Really? Don't see how you can say that. Check out the latest GL trailer: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167353-new-green-lantern-trailer.

Wardog
2011-05-21, 05:37 AM
I read a lot of Tintin as a child (as did my mother when she was young).

I'll have to re-read them again some time. A lot of the deeper aspects went over my head at a time (for example the arms dealer selling weapons to both sides of the conflict in The Broken Ear - I just thought it was an example of "lol - he's playing them both for fools!" rather than "this is an indictment of the arms industry encouraging and profiteering from conflict" - let alone that he was based on a real (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broken_Ear#Politics) person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Zaharoff)).

Also:

Also, I sincerely hope they keep Captain Haddock's ridiculous profanity intact. This movie won't be satisfying if I don't hear him yell "Blistering barnacles!" or "Thundering typhoons!" at least 10 times.

Billions of blue blistering barnacles and a thousand thundering typhoons! What sort of bashibazouk would even consider leaving that out? Pirate! Swab! Paltroon!

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-21, 07:19 AM
Billions of blue blistering barnacles and a thousand thundering typhoons! What sort of bashibazouk would even consider leaving that out? Pirate! Swab! Paltroon!

Bashibazouk? That sounds surprisingly like "başı bozuk", which means "wrong in the head". Is that actually something used in the English or French versions?

Selrahc
2011-05-21, 08:10 AM
Bashibazouk? That sounds surprisingly like "başı bozuk", which means "wrong in the head". Is that actually something used in the English or French versions?

Yes.

It means incompetent brigand, based on the western perception of the Ottoman Empires troops. It was a fairly well known insult in the 1800s, but fell out of favour over time. When Herge used it it was an intentionally obscure insult meant to give the impression of cursing, without actually being rude.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-21, 08:17 AM
Tintin is actually popular in America, per se, the Playground is just filled with interesting and exceptional people, that's all.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-21, 04:46 PM
I often felt that swearing is defined by intention rather then by the words used. Which logicically means Captain Haddock has a very, very, foul mouth.:smallamused:

Morph Bark
2011-05-21, 06:39 PM
Having seen the cartoon a lot here on the European television as a child, I must say I am looking forward to this. Not really a fan of this style of movie though, a little too uncanny valley, and I liked Beowulf significantly less once I realized that it was all CG. (Though it is of course understandable they'd have to make the dog - whatever his name is in English - CG.)

I'm hoping so bad it'll get translated into Dutch. He's got more colourful and changing ones there. :smallamused:

Eldan
2011-05-21, 07:01 PM
"Einhundertausend jaulende und heulende Höllenhunde!"

Is the only one I remember off the top of my head in the German version. It's one he used often, but he often got quite creative and always had a few unique ones.

Kiranvonstrom
2011-05-21, 07:02 PM
About. [insert captainesque rant here]. Time.

Oh, and sequels! Joy of joys! I loved the seven crystal balls!

On the other hand, if Spielberg screws this one up...

DraPrime
2011-05-21, 07:40 PM
I'm hoping so bad it'll get translated into Dutch. He's got more colourful and changing ones there. :smallamused:

Hmmm, I'd like to see how those play out in English. Either way, I love his English profanity because it's so tame, and yet so incredibly full of wrath. It's hard to pull that off.

Flame of Anor
2011-05-21, 07:44 PM
It just wouldn't be Tintin (in English) without "Blue blistering barnacles!", "Thundering typhoons!", and, for Tintin, "Crumbs!"

Grif
2011-05-23, 05:15 AM
It just wouldn't be Tintin (in English) without "Blue blistering barnacles!", "Thundering typhoons!", and, for Tintin, "Crumbs!"

Yes indeed.

I would imagine Haddock's reaction to the film.
THUNDERING TYPHOONS, THEY ARE REMAKING OUR SHOW!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-27, 04:34 PM
Directed by Stephen Spielberg AND produced by Peter Jackson AND written by Stephen Moffat!? Yes please! This is going to be so awesome. I love all those people.

TheArsenal
2011-05-28, 04:37 PM
"Alright crew Since I decided to call to the more adult audience I decided to move Tintin to modern times. Snowy is now a Prostitute, not a dog"

"Ooh! And lets make Captian Haddock a Rapper!"

"Blistering Mucker****ing barnacles? Sounds like a great new update!"

Just a random LOL.

H Birchgrove
2011-05-28, 06:49 PM
Funny enough, even Haddock's expletives have a (semi-)serious origin: Origin of Haddock's expletives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Haddock#Expletives) and Four-Power Pact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-Power_Pact)

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-29, 02:22 PM
I grew up with Tintin and Asterix and Obelix as my main comic-based fare. =3 I am both eager and nervous about this movie. Nervous because it could be done badly so easily, but eager because the people working on it are very good. I mean...Moffat's in on it! He's done a wonderful job with season 5 and 6 of Doctor Who.

t209
2011-05-29, 08:06 PM
The animation looks like the one from Polar Express.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-29, 10:00 PM
Oh man, I hope not.:smallannoyed: Polar Express and Christmas Carol both fell way too solidly into the Uncanny Valley.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-29, 10:41 PM
Well, I liked the The Adventures of Tintin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin_%28TV_series%29) Has everyone forgotten about 2D animation? I seriously do not see Herges designs translating well into 3D.

t209
2011-05-29, 11:28 PM
Well, I liked the The Adventures of Tintin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin_%28TV_series%29) Has everyone forgotten about 2D animation? I seriously do not see Herges designs translating well into 3D.

I remember the 2d version! They were great.

Eldan
2011-05-30, 02:38 AM
Absolutely. Loved them. I had several boxed sets of video tapes of them. Three sets at six casettes, or something.

I don't think I'll ever forget that music either.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-30, 03:30 AM
They were great! =D I remember when Nickelodeon used to show them. I wonder if they ever released them on dvd...

Flame of Anor
2011-05-30, 03:52 AM
Has anyone else played the Tintin in Tibet video game? I got stuck early and abandoned it.

Grif
2011-05-30, 03:57 AM
Now I remember. The Adventures of Tintin had a short run back in my country before it was taken off. I only managed to watch a few episodes though.

No wonder the theme song was familiar. Now I got the theme stuck in my head for the rest of the day. :smalleek:

Nerzi
2011-05-30, 04:02 AM
They were great! =D I remember when Nickelodeon used to show them. I wonder if they ever released them on dvd...

They did (http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=185347) (in the UK anyway). Got my big sister the boxed DVD set for her birthday a few years ago.

Pretty excited about the film here, am hoping the animation will grow on me though.

Iruka
2011-05-30, 05:01 AM
I hope the soundtrackwill be as good as in the animated series (and the musical)

Wardog
2011-05-30, 09:05 AM

Pff. You young whippersnappers don't know how good you had it.

I had to make do with Hergé's Adventures of Tintin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herg%C3%A9%27s_Adventures_of_Tintin), with it's five-minute episodes (a substantial proportion of which seemed to consist of telling us what happened last time, and what would happen next time).

H Birchgrove
2011-05-30, 09:24 AM

I had to make do with Hergé's Adventures of Tintin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herg%C3%A9%27s_Adventures_of_Tintin), with it's five-minute episodes (a substantial proportion of which seemed to consist of telling us what happened last time, and what would happen next time).

I actually loved the old Belvision cartoons as a kid, and would buy DVD's of them. (They did make a DVD of The Calculus Affair, which understandably was edited into a film.) In particular I loved the music for The Secret of the Unicorn in the intros and after the cliff-hangers: dun dun dun dun DUN! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Seth
2011-05-30, 01:04 PM
They were great! =D I remember when Nickelodeon used to show them. I wonder if they ever released them on dvd...Shout! Factory is going to release it on DVD. At the moment, though, they don't have a release date yet (or even much information, I don't know if it'll be one complete set or several volumes), but I'm guessing it'll be sometime this year.

It has been released in some other countries already, however.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-30, 05:34 PM
The Belvision is different from the nelvana series, and I have the latter on DVD.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-30, 11:05 PM

Sounds disturbingly like Naruto.:smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2011-05-30, 11:13 PM
Sounds disturbingly like Naruto.:smallwink:

I'M NARUTO AND I CAN'T STOP SMOKING

yay littlekuriboh

Amiel
2011-06-08, 04:18 AM

Young reporter also so distinguished himself with his conduct that the Yeti was loathe to frighten him overly much.

I, too, am so looking forward to this.

Eldan
2011-06-08, 05:05 AM
Young reporter also blows up Rhinoceros with dynamite.

The first few books were really silly compared to the rest.

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-08, 11:04 PM
Tintin in the Land of the Soviets is so silly it's laugable.

Like when Tintin carves the proplellor or a plane from a tree.
With a pocket knife.

Then he realises he's made it backwards and has to do it again.

And then, there's the ending...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-12, 03:22 PM
Was talking with my parents, and we were saying that they basically had to cherrypick which stories they based the movie off of, because almost every time Tintin went abroad, the comics had a certain racism of the time that seems way off nowadays, but was perfectly acceptable then.

Mr White
2011-06-12, 03:35 PM
I'm always amazed by how universal known Tintin is. I used to have a poster of the Tintin moon rocket in my room. It's an amazing comic series.

Jahkaivah
2011-06-12, 03:59 PM
Was talking with my parents, and we were saying that they basically had to cherrypick which stories they based the movie off of, because almost every time Tintin went abroad, the comics had a certain racism of the time that seems way off nowadays, but was perfectly acceptable then.

Given it's adapted from the first three episodes, I imagine the animated series has been a bit of help for them there.