PDA

View Full Version : No armour for scouts?

Eisirt
2011-05-19, 06:13 AM
According to the description of the the Fast Movement the Scout receives at lvl 3, it behaves just like that of the Monk. The Fast Movement of the Monk specifies that it is only available when the character is wearing NO armour.

Is this an oversight or is it supposed to work this way, and is the Scout supposed to compensate with the small boost in AC the Skirmish ability gives?

Seems like the Monk gets the better part of the deal on Movement and AC here.

Is this an oversight or by design... and what is the reasoning behind it?

Naked monks and scouts 4tw?

Dylaer
2011-05-19, 07:07 AM
That does sound a bit odd. I'd've thought light arrmor at most with scout. I mean, sure, the scout is all about movement and mobility, but the bonus to AC from skirmish doesn't offset the loss of armour use.

Cog
2011-05-19, 07:29 AM
The Fast Movement ability's description continues on page 13, and gives a separate restriction (light armor) for the speed boost.

Forged Fury
2011-05-19, 07:31 AM
According to the description of the the Fast Movement the Scout receives at lvl 3, it behaves just like that of the Monk. The Fast Movement of the Monk specifies that it is only available when the character is wearing NO armour.
It actually says "See the monk class feature..." not that it is exactly the same, although there is little reason to see the entry since it does little if anything to add to the explanation.

It then follows that on the next page with: "A scout loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy
load."

Person_Man
2011-05-19, 08:31 AM
The Scout can use light armor and fast movement. It's just lazy writing. They also forgot to explain that Skirmish does not work when mounted, and they left Disable Device off of his Skill list (which they cleaned up in the errata). It's also a fairly weak class - they could have easily bumped up Skirmish damage progression (which is not much easier to trigger the Sneak Attack), given him UMD, given him a real capstone, etc.

Greenish
2011-05-19, 01:23 PM
They also forgot to explain that Skirmish does not work when mountedIf they even intended that in the first place (and if they did, well, shame on them!).

PollyOliver
2011-05-19, 02:08 PM
I and the rest of my RL group have chosen to completely ignore the mounted skirmish errata. Mounted combat is the setting in which skirmish makes the most sense.

JaronK
2011-05-19, 02:15 PM
If they even intended that in the first place (and if they did, well, shame on them!).

That was indeed added later, though I don't remember if it was in errata or FAQ. Not a wise addition I'd say.

JaronK

Forged Fury
2011-05-19, 02:31 PM
Sadly, official errata.

Hmmm... somewhat related. Is there more explanatory language to the spell Floating Disk in the PHB? It seems like the text in the SRD is missing some otherwise necessary information. I thought at one point in time you couldn't put yourself on the disk, but that language seems to be missing. Additionally, the type of action required to "otherwise direct" the disk is not listed.

Cog
2011-05-19, 02:35 PM
It cannot "follow you" except to repeat motions you have taken - if you are sitting on it, you are taking no motions of your own. Redirecting a spell is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#aimingASpell).

Eisirt
2011-05-23, 02:40 AM
Ah, right... now it makes sense.

Isn't the Plains Outrider PrC specifically allowing Skirmish to e triggered while mounted?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-23, 08:18 AM
Isn't the Plains Outrider PrC specifically allowing Skirmish to e triggered while mounted?
You must be thinking of something else. Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer, page 92) makes no mention of skirmish. It's a PrC designed for a Druid, Ranger, Paladin, or other class with an animal companion or special mount; a Scout doesn't qualify.