PDA

View Full Version : Improving Rage

Elric VIII
2011-05-19, 07:56 AM
Are there any PrCs that can be entered with only 1-2 levels of Barbarian that increase the power of your Rage ability without a large level investment?

Or, are there any feats that power up rage and only require 1-2 levels of Barbarian?

Cog
2011-05-19, 07:58 AM
I think the answer's going to depend a lot on whether you mean "1-2 levels of Barbarian as part of a build" or "1-2 levels of Barbarian only".

Elric VIII
2011-05-19, 08:08 AM
I think the answer's going to depend a lot on whether you mean "1-2 levels of Barbarian as part of a build" or "1-2 levels of Barbarian only".

Oh, yes, good question. I mean as part of a build.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-19, 08:14 AM
Frenzied Beserker eats up a bunch of feats, but you only need the first level of barbarian to qualify. Beseker (I think that's the name) in either Deities and Demigods, Manual of the Planes, or Planar Handbook also gives something like rage but isn't, and I think can be entered without too many levels of barbarian.

Frost Rager (Frostburn) improves on rage, but eats a feat or two to enter.

Cog
2011-05-19, 08:16 AM
Most of the feats and PrCs that affect or use rage only ask for the ability, not a certain level of it or uses/day, IIRC. Grab a Barb handbook and most of it should apply.

Eldariel
2011-05-19, 08:16 AM
Reckless Rage [CW] improves Rage; +2 Str and Con more, but -2 AC. Rampaging Bull Rush [RoS] also "improves" Rage in that it allows you to knock people prone when bull rushing in Rage. Goes nicely with Dungeoncrasher [Dungeonscape]. Intimidating Rage [CW] allows you to intimidate people within 30' when you rage; goes nicely with Immediate Rage [CW] and Imperious Command [Drow of the Underdark].

Besides that...well, basically all the Rage PrCs do cost some feats. Bear Warrior, Frenzied Berserker, Frostrager & Runescarred Berserker are all quite expensive to enter [CW, Frostburn & Unapproachable East]. You'll just have to put up with it or see if some of the prereqs would align with your normal build (Power Attack, for example, is something you'd take anyways).

Elric VIII
2011-05-19, 08:17 AM
Alright, I'll look into the handbook.

Frenzied Berserker does look good.

Quietus
2011-05-19, 08:54 AM
Eye of Gruumsh increases the strength (and con, maybe?) boost by +4, for +8 total, and makes the AC penalty -4. Requires proficiency and focus with the orc double axe, though, and requires you to be a gruumsh-worshipping orc or half-orc.

Worth noting : It doesn't REQUIRE rage to enter. It stacks with barbarian levels, even if you don't have any, to GIVE you rage.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-19, 09:03 AM
Most barb. PrC's only really require Rage so you only really need one level. All other requirements you can get with basically any class.

Person_Man
2011-05-19, 09:43 AM
Most Barbarian PrC only require "the ability to Rage." So in general a Barbarian build will be Something 4/Barbarian 1/PrC X/Different PrC Y, with the Extra Rage feat. Good examples include Bear Warrior, Totem Rager, Frostrager, and Frenzied Berserker.

Amphetryon
2011-05-19, 09:46 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf gets you stacking Rage, Smite Evil, and spells, as well as CHA to saves. Can cast while raging.

Master_Rahl22
2011-05-19, 09:48 AM
Totem Rager from MoI is a great one. It grants Extra Rage and Extend Rage, as well as extra Essentia when raging. The classic entry for it is Barb 2/Totemist 4.

Darth Stabber
2011-05-19, 04:37 PM
Bear warrior is one of the best "rage enhancers". More strength and constitution, oh and YOU LITERALLY TURN INTO A FREAKING BEAR WHILE RAGING. Also you gain the bear's improved grab and natural weapons. Down side to being a bear, is that you are a bear and therefore can't hold weapons (mouth pick weapons are a valid option though).

Blazing berzerker gives you the fire subtype while raging, which means you are immune to fire damage, but take double from cold. Frozen berzerker gives you the cold subtype while ranging, which means you are immune to cold and weak to fire. Combine the two and the weaknesses go away and you are left immune to cold and fire. Technically you take zero damage from fire or cold which is then doubled, or its doubled then reduced to zero, I don't remember which, but the net effect is the same.

Frost rager builds on frozen berzerker (which is a prerequisite), and makes cold damage heal you. It also gives cold damage to you unarmed strikes, and several other interesting benefits.

A lot of good barbarian build specialize in unarmed combat, since frost rager boosts your fists, and you may make unarmed strikes as a bear. And with this opened up, you can take fist of the forest to gain CON to AC, and bigger damage dice for your fists, and several other nice benefits.

On a seperate note, totemists love barbarian dips, and the totem rager prc is great, but primarily for characters that are primarlily totemists as opposed to primarily barbarians. And totemist allows you to maintain illiteracy, a rare trick.

AslanCross
2011-05-19, 07:01 PM
A (related) aside: Can you use weapons in the bear warrior's bear form? Or you really only get the bear's claws and lose opposable thumbs?

Amphetryon
2011-05-19, 08:33 PM
A (related) aside: Can you use weapons in the bear warrior's bear form? Or you really only get the bear's claws and lose opposable thumbs?

Wilding Clasps should solve the thumbs issue.

Darth Stabber
2011-05-19, 09:34 PM

As stated in my previous post, you can't use weapons in bear form, baring weird shenanigans, ie wilding clasps or mouth pick weapons, which do not allow you to use the corresponding natural weapons. You can however used unarmed strikes and natural weapons, which leads to the ever popular kung fu bear barbarian builds.

As written bear warrior turns you into a bear, ridding you of opposable thumbs.

Allanimal
2011-05-19, 11:53 PM
As stated in my previous post, you can't use weapons in bear form, baring weird shenanigans, ie wilding clasps

The MiC states that a wilding clasp must be used with a worn item, and that worn item must be able to be worn by the new form.

I, as DM, would not consider most weapons to be worn. Armor Spikes (clasp on the armor) or a spiked gauntlet probably work. But no thumbs = no greatsword.

Enchant those armor spikes...

Edit: the wilding clasp also specifically states that it is used with the wild shape ability, so it is up to the DM anyway whether the Bear Warrior's bear form qualifies...

Coidzor
2011-05-20, 12:46 AM
Edit: the wilding clasp also specifically states that it is used with the wild shape ability, so it is up to the DM anyway whether the Bear Warrior's bear form qualifies...

Indeed, but there's this thing called the "Don't be _______" rule most groups have.

Allanimal
2011-05-20, 12:59 AM
Indeed, but there's this thing called the "Don't be _______" rule most groups have.

Just going by experience - one of the DMs in my group didn't allow it...

Darth Stabber
2011-05-20, 02:17 AM
The MiC states that a wilding clasp must be used with a worn item, and that worn item must be able to be worn by the new form.

I, as DM, would not consider most weapons to be worn. Armor Spikes (clasp on the armor) or a spiked gauntlet probably work. But no thumbs = no greatsword.

Enchant those armor spikes...

This is where mouthpick weapons come into play. I don't remember which book they were printed in, but if memory serves you got strength and half with them, just like a twohander.

Coidzor
2011-05-20, 02:19 AM
This is where mouthpick weapons come into play. I don't remember which book they were printed in, but if memory serves you got strength and half with them, just like a twohander.

Lords of Madness, Beholder section, but explicitly states that they've become popular with non-beholder druids for reasons of utility. Basically treat them as if you were wielding them in the normal manner and got proficiency with the weapon in exchange for one's bite attack.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-20, 02:22 AM
You could wilding clasp some Gloves of the Man (Savage Species, turns claws, tentacles, etc. into usable hands).

Darth Stabber
2011-05-20, 02:26 AM
You could wilding clasp some Gloves of the Man (Savage Species, turns claws, tentacles, etc. into usable hands).

Or you could take improved unarmed strike and profit.

mabriss lethe
2011-05-20, 03:21 PM
there are other options than barbarian. half-orc Paragon, for one.

Qwertystop
2011-05-20, 03:27 PM

That sounds kinda redundant at first galnce. You use an item that allows you to use items meant for humans (wilding clasp) in order to use an item that turns your claws into human hands.

Why would the gloves not be wearable by non-human appendages such as bear claws? If you can only use the make-your-grasping-appendages-human item on your human hands, what's the point?

Cog
2011-05-20, 03:52 PM
Why would the gloves not be wearable by non-human appendages such as bear claws? If you can only use the make-your-grasping-appendages-human item on your human hands, what's the point?
You could. The advantage is to not have to stop after each time you wild shape to re-equip all your gear.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-20, 04:32 PM
That sounds kinda redundant at first galnce. You use an item that allows you to use items meant for humans (wilding clasp) in order to use an item that turns your claws into human hands.

You could. The advantage is to not have to stop after each time you wild shape to re-equip all your gear.

Cog's got the idea! A druid could get by with the gloves, sans clasps, assuming a druid actually has a reason to use them due to how long wildshape lasts, but a bear warrior lacks that pleasure due to how short rages are.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 04:39 PM
Cog's got the idea! A druid could get by with the gloves, sans clasps, assuming a druid actually has a reason to use them due to how long wildshape lasts, but a bear warrior lacks that pleasure due to how short rages are.Well, isn't bear warrior's "bearing up" based on different mechanics, where you keep all the equipment your new form could use, and drop the rest? I seem to recall that mentioned before.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-20, 05:33 PM
Well, isn't bear warrior's "bearing up" based on different mechanics, where you keep all the equipment your new form could use, and drop the rest? I seem to recall that mentioned before.

I don't believe so, since its language has you look to the Polymorph spell to determine what changes.

Cog
2011-05-20, 05:49 PM
I don't believe so, since its language has you look to the Polymorph spell to determine what changes.
That matches, since Polymorph lets you keep any gear that's compatible with your new form.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 06:04 PM
I don't believe so, since its language has you look to the Polymorph spell to determine what changes.But if Bear Warrior's is based on Polymorph the spell, while Wildshape is based on Alternative Form the special ability, wouldn't that mean that they're based on different mechanics? :smallconfused: