PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Grip Pathfinder

Epee Assassin
2011-05-19, 03:30 PM
Does Monkey Grip exist in pathfinder or are there similar things that have similar actions/abilities?

McSmack
2011-05-19, 03:42 PM
Nope, at least not as far a I've seen. Ultimate Combat will be out in a few months, there might be something in there about it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Curious
2011-05-19, 03:46 PM
You can get a close approximation by taking EWP Bastard sword, and then using a large version. You take a -2 to hit for unwieldy weapon, but the damage dice is 2d8. Not bad, and vital strike just makes it sweeter.

McSmack
2011-05-19, 04:05 PM
You can get a close approximation by taking EWP Bastard sword, and then using a large version. You take a -2 to hit for unwieldy weapon, but the damage dice is 2d8. Not bad, and vital strike just makes it sweeter.

You wouldn't be able to use it one handed, but oh man it would be sweet with Vital Strike.

Infernalbargain
2011-05-19, 05:22 PM

Well if you're fine with being munchkinny, you can save yourself the EWP by going with a large scizore from the adventurer's armory, though it doesn't make any sense.

DeMouse
2011-05-19, 08:47 PM
My pathfinder group allows monkey grip.

However it doesn't help with size category. It simply allows you to wield a 2-hander in 1 hand.

You can weild an oversized weapon without taking a feat just by taking a penalty in pathfinder anyway.

Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can't make optimum use of a weapon that isn't properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn't proficient with the weapon, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

from the pathfinder SRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

As I read it actually you wouldn't even need monkey grip since a 2-hander is only 1 size category above a 1-hander.

You would need to take exotic weapon proficiency in oversized bastard sword though

Curious
2011-05-19, 09:15 PM
I think there is also a rule, however, that states that a weapon that is too large goes up a weapon category. So, a dagger becomes one-handed, a bastard sword becomes two-handed, and a greatsword becomes unusable. That's why I recommended using the Bastard.

Kilbourne
2011-05-20, 02:18 AM
I think there is also a rule, however, that states that a weapon that is too large goes up a weapon category. So, a dagger becomes one-handed, a bastard sword becomes two-handed, and a greatsword becomes unusable. That's why I recommended using the Bastard.

Yes, that is true.

Eldariel
2011-05-20, 02:50 AM
You wouldn't be able to use it one handed, but oh man it would be sweet with Vital Strike.

Sorta. Vital Strike still doesn't hold a candle to full attacks though, which would make it kinda waste of the effort :smallsigh:

CTrees
2011-05-20, 06:20 AM

There is. It's the immediate next paragraph after the part DeMouse quoted, trying to show you could do it.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.

You need monkey grip or similar. Maybe Ultimate Combat will have it, but otherwise you need your DM to let you port it from 3.5 or houserule away the bit I bolded.

MeeposFire
2011-05-20, 03:57 PM
Sorta. Vital Strike still doesn't hold a candle to full attacks though, which would make it kinda waste of the effort :smallsigh:

Biggest problem with vital strike is the cost. 3 feats is too much for the relatively small benefit.

Curious
2011-05-20, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it would be much better if it went something like:

At +11 BAB, the extra weapon dice increase to x3.
At +16 BAB, the extra weapon dice increase to x4.

There, one feat for good standard actions. Definitely worth it.
Also, it should work on charge attacks.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 04:03 PM
My pathfinder group allows monkey grip.

However it doesn't help with size category. It simply allows you to wield a 2-hander in 1 hand.You mean you've houseruled it to work like that?

You can weild an oversized weapon without taking a feat just by taking a penalty in pathfinder anyway.Yes, but you can't wield a Large two-hander if you're medium, PF didn't change those limitations.

As I read it actually you wouldn't even need monkey grip since a 2-hander is only 1 size category above a 1-hander.Well, you'd need Monkey Grip (the 3.5 one, not your house-ruled one) to wield a size larger two-hander, or a size larger one-hander one handed.

Eldariel
2011-05-20, 05:00 PM
Biggest problem with vital strike is the cost. 3 feats is too much for the relatively small benefit.

I still wouldn't take it if it was exactly one feat; I rather work for my full attacks than try to half-ass it for one-fifth of the damage I could do in a full attack with Vital Strike. At least that way I'm doing something.

MeeposFire
2011-05-20, 06:50 PM
I still wouldn't take it if it was exactly one feat; I rather work for my full attacks than try to half-ass it for one-fifth of the damage I could do in a full attack with Vital Strike. At least that way I'm doing something.

Hey I agree I advocate giving it for free and I would probably still want it buffed even if it is free.

It is my opinion that all characters should have a viable option for their standard actions. Heck it could be variation of +1d6 damage on an attack action per point of BAB above 5.

In fact this is one of largest pet peeves about PF is that they did not fix this for all the classes as by and large all warrior type classes still suck on a standard action and after the later 3.5 stuff was finally getting around that problem I find that unconscionable.

Grommen
2011-05-20, 08:42 PM
No Monkey Grip. Funny now that I think about it. Their Iconic Barbarian uses a Frost Giant's sword. You would think that they would have added a feat to help her overcome the penalties.

You can just add it in from the 3.5 books. Pathfinder is compatible in most regards.

Grommen
2011-05-20, 08:43 PM
No Monkey Grip. Funny now that I think about it. Their Iconic Barbarian uses a Frost Giant's sword. You would think that they would have added a feat to help her overcome the penalties.

You can just add it in from the 3.5 books. Pathfinder is compatible in most regards.

Curious
2011-05-20, 08:46 PM

They did it in exactly the way I described; EWP Bastard sword, large size.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-20, 09:14 PM
Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giant for some truly animesque not-compinsating-for-anything (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) Big Fracking Sword action.
You still won't get reach though.

Curious
2011-05-20, 09:16 PM
Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giant for some truly animesque not-compinsating-for-anything (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) Big Fracking Sword action.
You still won't get reach though.

That's what Lunge is for. :smallwink:

Greenish
2011-05-20, 09:16 PM
Just stick some Stongarm Bracers (MIC) on your half giantPowerful Build and Strongarm Bracers don't stack.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-20, 09:25 PM
Powerful Build and Strongarm Bracers don't stack.
They don't? Dang. Still, Strongarm Bracers are what Monkey Grip should have been.

Yeah, but everyone bigger than Tiny gets 10-ft reach with Lunge.

Eldariel
2011-05-21, 03:41 AM

Meh. I wish it was usable with AoOs; that's what you want reach for. :smallsigh:

Epee Assassin
2011-05-25, 02:15 PM
I am beginning to see that there is not yet a way that I can do this until Ultimate Combat comes out (anyone know the date?), so I am making a somewhat broken character that lets me use two attacks of 2d8 per turn with EWP double crossbow, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, crossbow mastery. It is pretty cool. I don't know if this is good for a broken character because this is only my second.

Eldariel
2011-05-25, 03:17 PM
I am beginning to see that there is not yet a way that I can do this until Ultimate Combat comes out (anyone know the date?), so I am making a somewhat broken character that lets me use two attacks of 2d8 per turn with EWP double crossbow, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, crossbow mastery. It is pretty cool. I don't know if this is good for a broken character because this is only my second.

What part of that is broken? If you could draw upon 3.5, you could get quite a bit out of adding Crossbow Sniper [PHBII], by the way.

McSmack
2011-05-25, 03:41 PM
Yeah my next PF character is going to be a dwarf with a large sized dwarven waraxe as a 2hander.

Monkey Grip would be nice, and I hope they have something similar in Ultimate Combat.

Vital Strike isn't that bad, yeah it could use a buff (double all modifiers in addition to damage dice), but so could a lot of things. I find it useful in the (many) situations where I wasn't going to get a full attack anyway. Vital Stike gives me a little something extra. It's nice if you're a fighter, since you're getting a feat every level anyway. And with the changes to Powerattack and no Shocktrooper/Leap Attack, charging isn't the end-all-be-all of a melee build anymore.

Soemd
2016-05-19, 09:30 PM
...Monkey Grip would be nice, and I hope they have something similar in Ultimate Combat...

There's a 3rd party feat if your DM allows called lighten weapon "Choose one type of weapon. When using a weapon of that type you may reduce the effort required to wield it by one step but suffer a −2 penalty to hit with that weapon. This allows you to wield a weapon 1 size category larger as if it were your own size, use a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a one-handed as a light weapons."
Pretty much exactly monkey grip, and then there's the improved feat that removes the penalty.

Urpriest
2016-05-20, 12:07 PM
Why is everybody forgetting about Titan Maulers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/titan-mauler)?

Hamste
2016-05-20, 12:11 PM
Why is everybody forgetting about Titan Maulers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/titan-mauler)?

Because this thread was started in the 5th month of 2011 and Titan Mauler wasn't released till the 8th month of 2011?

Urpriest
2016-05-20, 12:19 PM
Because this thread was started in the 5th month of 2011 and Titan Mauler wasn't released till the 8th month of 2011?

Curses, necromancy strikes again! :smalltongue: