PDA

View Full Version : Druid variant.

Pigkappa
2011-05-19, 04:11 PM
In the campaign I'm DMing, a player asked me to play the Druid variant of the PHBII (the one which allows you to shapeshift as a swift action).

I've been quite constraining with players options up to now, in particular for spellcasting classes, but this variant doesn't sound better than the regular druid to me. The player is the most informed one and has already asked me about characters definitely more optimized than the rest of the party.

Could that variant Druid be dangerous for some reason I'm missing?

Kylarra
2011-05-19, 04:13 PM
Shapeshifter druid is a straight up nerf to the druid class. You should encounter less problems with it than a standard druid.

Lateral
2011-05-19, 04:13 PM
Actually, it's far, far less powerful than ordinary Wild Shape. Druid is a very powerful class, so your player may actually be trying to tone it down a bit.

FMArthur
2011-05-19, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the Shapeshift Druid is widely regarded as a fix for the otherwise absurdly powerful Wild Shape. He's probably aware of its nerf-status and just wants something cool - or is even trying to improve game balance himself - but if your player does believe otherwise and has that look in his eye like he's discovered some new way to be super powerful... let him believe that. There's no harm done there and he's satisfied his power-hunger if he continues to hold the illusion. :smallbiggrin:

Pigkappa
2011-05-19, 05:09 PM
Ok, I guess he wants to use that variant to be different from the other Druid of the party. I'll let him use that, then. Thanksalot!

Laendri
2011-05-24, 07:18 PM
Or maybe he just want the early shapeshifter ability for some powerful prestige class prerrequesite. (Complete warrior has a couple of examples)

Leon
2011-05-24, 10:52 PM
Shapeshift is a nice balanced Variant of a class that all to frequently is taken out of control due to feat and a class feature.

He is powerful - Full caster with combat Forms, just not over powered

Mr. Zolrane
2011-05-24, 11:03 PM
What, might I ask, is the difference between the two?

Tavar
2011-05-24, 11:06 PM
Shapshift, you have limited number forms, available at certain levels. They give bonuses, some of which scale with level. You cannot cast spells with Verbal or Somatic components in this form, and natural spell can't change this.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-05-24, 11:07 PM
Shapshift, you have limited number forms, available at certain levels. They give bonuses, some of which scale with level. You cannot cast spells with Verbal or Somatic components in this form, and natural spell can't change this.

I see. Yeah, that sounds much better. I may use that, as I'm planning on running a campaign in the fall, which, at least in the beginning will have a very Rangers and Druids foresty feel to it.

Coidzor
2011-05-24, 11:08 PM
What, might I ask, is the difference between the two?

Natural Spell doesn't work, IIRC, and it doesn't even give stat boosts in exchange for no longer being able to dump physical ability scores like with wild shape.

Tavar
2011-05-24, 11:12 PM
Um...no. It does give enhancement bonuses to physical stats(not Con, I believe). It's also usable at will.