PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wield Gestalt Build?

Alkapwn21
2011-05-19, 06:32 PM
So I'm about to make a character for an Oriental Adventures campaign. I'm not entirely sure what books are available, but let's assume the completes for now. It will be gestalt, and each of us needs to be one archtype (tank, healer, stealth, and arcane caster). I've chosen stealth, so I was thinking rogue/ranger. This will give me full bab and an animal companion, so I can flank with my companion for sneak attacks, and I'm thinking two weapon fighting combat style. So, in my mind, this build works very well (full bab, flanking with companion, sneak attack with every weapon hit and dual wielding so I should have more hits.)

So any suggestions on feats/variants/other classes/PrC/etc? Also, other than the natural bond feat, is there any way to improve my animal companion?

Seerow
2011-05-19, 06:34 PM
Best way to improve the animal companion would be go Druid instead. Seriously, you'd probably be better in every way going druid, wild shaping into something with tons of attacks, and having a field day. Do some multiclassing on the rogue side to pick up extra sneak attack and BAB if you're so inclined.

Alkapwn21
2011-05-19, 06:35 PM
Best way to improve the animal companion would be go Druid instead. Seriously, you'd probably be better in every way going druid, wild shaping into something with tons of attacks, and having a field day. Do some multiclassing on the rogue side to pick up extra sneak attack and BAB if you're so inclined.

Druids don't exist in this campaign =/

Seerow
2011-05-19, 06:37 PM
Druids don't exist in this campaign =/

It would be best to start by telling us what does and does not exist then, rather than going back and forth about what would be a good option followed by "Sorry can't do that"

*.*.*.*
2011-05-19, 06:49 PM
Rogue//Duskblade

Full BaB
Sneak Attack+ Arcane channeling=PAIN
Perfect Saves
8+ int skills
Int casting

I'd prefer factotum//Duskblade, but that's cool.

Alkapwn21
2011-05-19, 06:50 PM
It would be best to start by telling us what does and does not exist then, rather than going back and forth about what would be a good option followed by "Sorry can't do that"

Well like I said, it uses the Oriental Adventure campaign setting, which has more specific classes than a regular setting. Bards, Clerics, Paladins, Druids, and Wizards do not exist. Instead, there are classes made for this setting, such as Shaman (Cleric alternative, has an animal companion as Druid, partial bab, undead turning, full Divine casting, and can always see ethereal creatures), Samurai (has certain bonus feats according to which clan they belong to, starts with masterwork katan and wakizashi that they can enchant themselves) Shujenga (elemental divine spellcasters, I don't enjoy it) Sohei (flavor as paladin, has "rage" and can flurry of blows while "raging", partial bab, paladin spellcasting, DR as barbarian) and Wu Jen (elemental arcane spellcaster)

Seerow
2011-05-19, 06:53 PM
Well like I said, it uses the Oriental Adventure campaign setting, which has more specific classes than a regular setting. Bards, Clerics, Paladins, Druids, and Paladins do not exist. Instead, there are classes made for this setting, such as Shaman (Cleric alternative, has an animal companion as Druid, partial bab, undead turning, full Divine casting, and can always see ethereal creatures), Samurai (has certain bonus feats according to which clan they belong to, starts with masterwork katan and wakizashi that they can enchant themselves) Shujenga (elemental divine spellcasters, I don't enjoy it) Sohei (flavor as paladin, has "rage" and can flurry of blows while "raging", partial bab, paladin spellcasting, DR as barbarian) and Wu Jen (elemental arcane spellcaster)

Okay, given that, I'd go with the Shaman over the Ranger.

It gives you the Animal companion you wanted. You said it gets full divine casting, so I assume that you get all the cleric staples, including Divine Power which will get you your full BAB, letting you pick up prestige classes on either side without having to worry about what your BAB looks like. Undead turning gets you access to all sorts of fun stuff, even if you don't want to go for the cheesy DMM Persist (though in a gestalt game, I'd assume stuff like that is Kosher).

Of course this leaves you pretty light on feats, which TWFing likes a lot. If Shaman gets domains, you can grab the Magic Domain for Anyspell, and use that to get Heroism (or is it heroics? I forget), for more feats. Alternatively look for multiclasses on the Rogue side that will get you bonus feats you want, preferably without losing much sneak attack, but I can't think of many offhand.

Meleemancer
2011-05-19, 07:06 PM
I'm personally a fan of using Feat Rogue from Unearthed Arcana in conjunction with a full BAB class and wounding on both weapons. Could work well with Hexblade, Swashbuckler, or Ranger. You would need a way to beef up your will saves though. Hexblades get mettle, which is basically evasion for fortitude and will saves. Swash gets Int to damage at lvl 3. Ranger gets favored enemy which could be very useful if you DM uses the same kinds of monsters over and over again.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-19, 07:07 PM
You can get Wild Cohort (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) and have a stronger pet than a Ranger's Animal Companion would be.

Use Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue), and maybe combine it with Duskblade (PH2). Compared with Ranger//Rogue, that would get you the same HD, BAB, and skills, but all good saving throws, Int-based spellcasting with a better progression, and at level 13 with a double weapon (quarterstaff) you can deliver a touch spell with every attack you make.

Another great option would be Wilderness Rogue//Warblade, and use mostly Tiger Claw, Iron Heart, and Diamond Mind maneuvers. You'll qualify for Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, and even Weapon Supremacy, and it gets d12 HD and some nice Int-based abilities. I'd go something like Warblade 2/ Bloodline 1/ Warblade 17// Wilderness Rogue 11/ Bloodline 1/ Rogue 8, with an intermediate bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) using air or fire elemental, djinni, or fey. That first bloodline level gives you +1 initiator level, so you'll be able to get a 3rd level stance at Warblade 4, and the second one is on the Rogue side because Rogue 20 is just pointless.

theForce017
2011-05-20, 10:10 PM
Bard & Healer for a great party buff or a Fighter & Rogue Halfling Knife Thrower!