PDA

View Full Version : Remote Spellcasting?

BluesEclipse
2011-05-19, 06:33 PM
Is there any way to create an object which you can both see through and cast your own spells through remotely?

Aspenor
2011-05-19, 06:35 PM
Ring Gates

Or the Gate spell.

Prime32
2011-05-19, 06:35 PM
Psions can do it with their psicrystal at high levels.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-19, 06:49 PM
Hmm. Those would work for what was stated, but not for the purpose I actually need it for. I suppose I was too vague, though... I'll be more specific:

I have the resources of a level 20 wizard. I want to create a weapon or other piece of equipment that can be given to someone unknowingly, to appear as an intelligent item, that will, in fact, simply allow me to guide them to a specific purpose and provide whatever spellcasting aid is necessary to ensure that they fulfill that purpose for me. Discretion is essential to this - they cannot, under any circumstances, know that the item is simply a link for me to manipulatecommunicate with them, rather than an intelligent item they've found which is trying to help them.

Any way to do this?

ericgrau
2011-05-19, 06:52 PM
The cantrip message functions reliably through a greater scrying spell. As do numerous detection spells. The target would only hear a voice or a whisper; he wouldn't know where it's coming from. If you get a "Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, etc." from your victim he gets a -10 on his will save. People who fail a save don't know that they failed a save. They do know if they pass a save, but need a high DC spellcraft check to figure out what it was. Otherwise he only knows it's some malicious force.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-19, 06:56 PM
The cantrip message functions reliably through a greater scrying spell. As do numerous detection spells. If you get a "Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, etc." from your victim he gets a -10 on his will save. People who fail a save don't know that they failed a save. They do know if they pass a save, but need a high DC spellcraft check to figure out what it was.

Hmm... that could work, for the communication aspect... but it doesn't help with the remote casting part.

ericgrau
2011-05-19, 06:58 PM
I think worldwide spell sniping is bordering on epic territory. Best to find a list of things you can do remotely. For example teleport object, poof the victim has an object you want him to have. This would be an awesome way to screw with a paladin or cleric btw.

Aspenor
2011-05-19, 06:59 PM
Astrally project yourself, haunt shift your projection into some random item, then have one of your simulacra give the item to the noob. You'd need some way of casting without verbal, somatic, or material components, though.

There's probably a better way to do it, that's just the first that comes to mind.

edit: hmmm, never noticed the 9 HD cap on Haunt Shift before, interesting.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-19, 07:07 PM
Hmm... it sounds like it'll be easier to create an intelligent item with a specific purpose than to make something like this work. Item creation will be easier than creating entirely new spells... especially if it has to be epic effects.

Etrivar
2011-05-19, 07:17 PM
You could just use eye of power. Does the same thing as an arcane eye, but you can cast spells of 3rd level or lower through it. It's a 9th level spell. I found it in the spell compendium, but I don't know where it appeared originally.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the item post. This could still be used as the base spell involved in creating the item you're looking for.

Geigan
2011-05-19, 07:21 PM
You could just use eye of power. Does the same thing as an arcane eye, but you can cast spells of 3rd level or lower through it. It's a 9th level spell. I found it in the spell compendium, but I don't know where it appeared originally.
Player's guide to Faerun. Used to be 7th level spells cast through it, got updated.

Aspenor
2011-05-19, 07:28 PM
Ah, I forgot the important part of reducing your HD. Pick up a bunch of unholy arrows, or whatever, and get some negative levels to reduce your HD to 8, then cast Haunt Shift.

I'd have the item you choose to haunt shift into have some "arms" and a mouth. How about a special compartment for spell components?

There you go, remote control with spells.

holywhippet
2011-05-19, 07:31 PM
Convince the DM to let you create a miniature mansion inside of the sword's hilt. Shrink yourself to fit inside. Presto - you are now able to monitor the situation directly.

faceroll
2011-05-20, 01:18 AM
Oh man, there was a thread about casting spells through the world serpent at any creature you wanted to. Can't remember the specifics. It was hilarious. There was even a crudely drawn picture.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-20, 01:42 AM
There's a conjuration spell that let's you prepare another spell in case something happens - Contingency casting or something like that, I think

could just spam that on the item with enough different things to work.

or just create something new. you're a 20th level wizard, craft wonderous item and droop a level:smalltongue:

ericgrau
2011-05-20, 12:07 PM
Hey they haven't moved everything over to conjuration yet. That's evocation. But you can only have one active and it must target you.

Cyrion
2011-05-20, 02:38 PM
What about enchanting the item to contact you under certain circumstances, allowing you to astrally project to its location and cast spells using the transdimensional spell feat?