PDA

View Full Version : Naugla-rux (spider-lizard dark elf mount) (PEACH)

Solaris
2011-05-19, 06:34 PM
This is part of my reworking the dark elves. It's actually a less common mount among them, as the Lolth-worshippers are a minority in my setting. Most ride dire lizards (monitor lizards with the dire animal template) where humans ride warhorses and giant geckos where humans ride light horses. I'm also looking into them doing a lot of grafting and fleshwarping as an elven trait in general.

Naugla-Rux
Large (-1) Aberration (augmented animal)
Hit Dice: 6d8+30 (57 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft. (8 squares), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Dex, +6 natural, -1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: Bite +10 (2d4+6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +10 (2d4+6 plus poison) and 4 claws +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Immunities, light blindness, darkvision 120 ft, scent.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +18, Hide +4, Jump +14, Listen +4, Move Silently +8, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Power Attack
Environment: Warm (any).
Organization: Solitary or domesticated
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-11 HD (Huge), 12-18 HD (Gargantuan)
Challenge Rating: 6

Vicious monsters, naugla-ruxes are creations of the sects of dark elves devoted to Lolth. They were once ordinary dire lizards that the dark elf priests transformed through dark ritual into eight-limbed reptillian-arachnid monsters. A naugla-rux is roughly ten feet long and five hundred pounds, bearing the best features of a tarantula with those of a lizard. Its body is covered in an armored exoskeleton and thick scales, with eight sprawling legs tipped with a sharp point and a segmented tail. The head is shaped something like a lizard's, with a spider's eight eyes and downward-pointing fangs to either side of the jaw. The naugla-rux's tongue is a hollow tube that it uses to drain the liquids from its prey after the venom has softened it.
Dark elves use naugla-ruxes as war mounts. Like their dire lizard mounts, dark elves frequently use their magic to graft new and interesting weapons and armor onto their naugla-ruxes.

Combat
Naugla-ruxes like to attack from ambush, but are bloodthirsty opponents who eagerly attack anything that moves. A naugla-rux fights by rearing up on its four back legs to stab with its four front legs and bite with its jaws.
Immunities: Naugla-ruxes are immune to poison and all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds the naugla-rux for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.Poison (Ex): The naugla-rux's poison deals 1d6 Str primary and secondary damage. Fort DC 18 negates. The poison save DC is Constitution-based.
Skills: A naugla-rux has a +8 racial bonus on any Climb checks. It can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while climbing, provided it climbs in a straight line. Naugla-ruxes gain a racial bonus of +4 on Hide and Move Silently checks and a racial bonus of +6 on Jump and Spot checks.

Training a Naugla-Rux
A naugla-rux requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. To be trained, a naugla-rux must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through successful Handle Animal check). Training a friendly naugla-rux requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a naugla-rux requires an exotic saddle. A naugla-rux can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless they succeed on a Ride check.

Naugla-rux eggs are worth 1000 gp apiece in dark elf markets. Young are worth 3500 gp each. Professional trainers charge 500 gp to train or rear a naugla-rux. All prices are tripled in above-ground markets, as the dark elves do not often export their delightfully vicious spider-lizards.

A light load for a naugla-rux is 600 lbs or less. A naugla-rux can carry 601-1200 lbs as a medium load. A heavy load is 1201-1800 lbs. A naugla-rux can drag up to 9000 lbs.

Debihuman
2011-05-20, 05:31 PM
Creepy in a good way. I like it but I'd want to see it tested for balance against other CR 5 monsters. It seems a little overpowered for just 6 HD and CR 5.

It has 5 natural attacks plus poison plus a bunch of immunities and a HUGE number of racial skill bonuses and it has Darkvision 120 feet. I have a feeling that this is significantly more powerful than a Troll, even with a Troll's Regeneration 5.

You should still state that the poison's DC is Con based. I know it is standard but it appears that way in the SRD.

You need to define light blindness in the section below the stat block. Is it the same as the drow ability?

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds naugla-rux for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Debby

Dralnu
2011-05-20, 05:55 PM
Very cool image. You should add alignment though. I'm assuming it's neutral?

Solaris
2011-05-21, 01:27 AM
Creepy in a good way. I like it but I'd want to see it tested for balance against other CR 5 monsters. It seems a little overpowered for just 6 HD and CR 5.

It has 5 natural attacks plus poison plus a bunch of immunities and a HUGE number of racial skill bonuses and it has Darkvision 120 feet. I have a feeling that this is significantly more powerful than a Troll, even with a Troll's Regeneration 5.

You should still state that the poison's DC is Con based. I know it is standard but it appears that way in the SRD.

You need to define light blindness in the section below the stat block. Is it the same as the drow ability?

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds naugla-rux for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Debby

I used Vorpal Tribble's CR calculator. I don't recall if I incorporated the abundance of attacks into the calculations, (and running it through again I think I misplaced a number somewhere - now it's coming out to CR 6). I dropped the damage dice and the Strength some, which should bring this bad boy down a little bit.

Oops, I'll fix that bit about the poison.

Yes, it's the same as the drow ability. I have a tendency to skip defining abilities that are pretty common, but seeing as how you were nice enough to go and type it up for me I'll insert it right in.

Very cool image. You should add alignment though. I'm assuming it's neutral?

Yes, neutral/unaligned. While surly and irate, it's still just an animal.