PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Strange in D&D?

Tokuhara
2011-05-20, 10:44 AM
As a Marvel Comics fanatic, Dr. Stephen Strange (AKA, Sorcerer Supreme Dr. Strange, not owner of Arkham in DC) always seemed like a d&d character at heart. I mean, slinging spells, dimensional hopping, and facing off against a demon? Sounds like a well written solo adventure. So, by analyzing his stats, he almost seems like a High-Level Warlock, not a real caster. Anyone have a (pun is intended) build for this Strange fellow?

For more on him, reference this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange)

Telonius
2011-05-20, 11:48 AM
He is an awesome character. Seems to me that he has at least a few levels in Binder.

Tokuhara
2011-05-20, 12:09 PM
He is an awesome character. Seems to me that he has at least a few levels in Binder.

He may be a Hellfire Warlock/Binder, considering he has to do battle with a "demon," what better to fight evil with than a different kind of evil?

veven
2011-05-20, 01:15 PM
A gestalt warlock//binder would fit perfectly! I just read World War Hulk again and he literally binds a demon to himself to fight the hulk.

To cover the other crazy stuff he does he would probably make use of something similar to the Incantation variant from UA and the SRD

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Allanimal
2011-05-20, 01:58 PM
Whoops! I thought it said Dr. Strangelove, who would be another interesting character...

Zonugal
2011-05-20, 02:14 PM
Another path might be a sorcerer/binder/anima mage?

Tvtyrant
2011-05-20, 02:58 PM
Whoops! I thought it said Dr. Strangelove, who would be another interesting character...

Me too... I suggest a WhisperGnome with an Animated Wheelchair (permanent) who is a Batman Archivist.

Zonugal
2011-05-20, 03:00 PM
Me too... I suggest a WhisperGnome with an Animated Wheelchair (permanent) who is a Batman Archivist.

With Deformity (Madness) as his signature feat.

Person_Man
2011-05-20, 04:00 PM
It's been a while since I've seriously read any books with him in it (I actually collected the Defenders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_%28comics%29), if you can believe it), but it always seemed to me that Dr. Strange's powers would scale up or down based on who he was fighting. He could do ANYTHING HE WANTED, but when fighting somebody like the Juggernaut he would use telekinesis and energy blasts instead of just underreporting him into the Sun or an alternate dimension prison or whatnot.

Has Marvel brought any internal consistency to his abilities in the last decade or so? Or are his powers still controlled entirely by the plot?

Incanur
2011-05-20, 04:41 PM
High-end Strange rivals Pun-Pun and makes epic magic look quaint. Wizard levels model this version well enough in the sense that the class do just about anything. Strange also has impressive unarmed martial arts skills, though these rarely come up.

Selrahc
2011-05-20, 05:11 PM
Has Marvel brought any internal consistency to his abilities in the last decade or so? Or are his powers still controlled entirely by the plot?

He encountered some personal issues, lost a lot of his power and gave up the title of Sorceror Supreme.

I think the presence of Strange did hurt the cosmology of the setting. Threats to the Earth are hard to sell with someone with the raw power of Strange just lounging around, so he was removed from the playing field.

veven
2011-05-20, 06:11 PM
Yeah, He was more of a plot device I suppose...Isn't Brudda Voodoo the current sorcerer supreme or has that changed?

Kylarra
2011-05-20, 06:32 PM
It's been a while since I've seriously read any books with him in it (I actually collected the Defenders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_%28comics%29), if you can believe it), but it always seemed to me that Dr. Strange's powers would scale up or down based on who he was fighting. He could do ANYTHING HE WANTED, but when fighting somebody like the Juggernaut he would use telekinesis and energy blasts instead of just underreporting him into the Sun or an alternate dimension prison or whatnot.

Has Marvel brought any internal consistency to his abilities in the last decade or so? Or are his powers still controlled entirely by the plot?Dr. Strange is still effectively a plot device.

Hecuba
2011-05-21, 12:11 AM
Yeah, He was more of a plot device I suppose...Isn't Brudda Voodoo the current sorcerer supreme or has that changed?

He died killing Agamotto (the first sorcerer supreme, who ascended to live with the Vishanti), who had gone a bit crazy and was trying to repossess the Eye of Agamotto.

It seems the Vishanti are all dead now. Why and how is unclear.

Interestingly, Jullian Drumm killed Vishanti using a retributive strike with the eye. This really doesn't solve things, since apparently the eye was the focus for something akin to Feroz's Ban which prevented direct demonic invasion of the earthly plane.

Oddly, though, nothing has come of this. Also, there is now no Sorcerer Supreme.