PDA

View Full Version : Bargains

Cicciograna
2011-05-20, 12:03 PM
Recently I bought a copy of Magic Item Compendium in great shape for just 16,50€ == 23,40$. I deem it one of my best purchases.

Have you got some stories of great bargains to share?

dsmiles
2011-05-20, 12:30 PM
My best bargain: AD&D Deities & Demigods (with Cthulhu and Melnibonean Mythoi) for $90 (USD)! Mint! It's worth so much more than that. Especially to a collector. :smallbiggrin:

Morghen
2011-05-20, 02:18 PM
A friend and I happened across a ton of 1st Ed stuff in a used-book store. I don't even remember what all we got, just that we spent about every penny we had on us.

Combat Reflexes
2011-05-20, 03:01 PM
My all time best bargain was at a jumble sale at Koninginnedag (Queen's Day) last year:

A complete set of almost unused D&D 3.5 core rulebooks (PHB, DMG and MM) for €1 each.
Yep, that's 3 euros (= $4.27) for over one thousand pages, many of them illustrated.

I do love me some jumble sales :smallwink:

Cicciograna
2011-05-20, 03:33 PM
My all time best bargain was at a jumble sale at Koninginnedag (Queen's Day) last year:

A complete set of almost unused D&D 3.5 core rulebooks (PHB, DMG and MM) for €1 each.
Yep, that's 3 euros (= $4.27) for over one thousand pages, many of them illustrated.

You won. Recently I had to buy a PHB in Italian: the best price I could find was 15€. You definitely won.

Knaight
2011-05-20, 05:00 PM
I managed to pick up Legend of the 5 Rings used, for a grand total of $5. It was the best $5 I've ever spent.

Calmar
2011-05-20, 05:16 PM
During the last one, two years before 4E, when the Euro became strong and the Dollar weak, I bought most of my D&D (about ten books) for about 2-8 Euros each. That's the marvel of global economy: You barely can afford to spend a day in the city with your friends, or to get a new pair of trousers, but you can buy lots of stuff from other continents over the internet. :smallbiggrin:
Now the 3.5 stuff has become rather expensive, though.

Cicciograna
2011-05-21, 05:38 AM
During the last one, two years before 4E, when the Euro became strong and the Dollar weak, I bought most of my D&D (about ten books) for about 2-8 Euros each. That's the marvel of global economy: You barely can afford to spend a day in the city with your friends, or to get a new pair of trousers, but you can buy lots of stuff from other continents over the internet. :smallbiggrin:

In my experience it's the shipping fee the real killer: I found books on Amazon costing less than 3$ but with shipping costs of more than 15$...

Tetsubo 57
2011-05-21, 06:28 AM
I found a copy of an Ars Magica magic book recently at Goodwill for $3.

I have found two copies of the classic 1E Deities & Demigods for a $1 at two different yard sales. I sold them for around $140 profit total. I actually stumble upon gaming books fairly frequently at yard sales & flea markets. But I go to a lot of them. I sell or give away what I don't want to keep. I just last week gave away a 1E MM and Fiend Folio and Wilderness Survival Guide to a British gaming friend.

His unboxing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqkhF25o6NA

Gaming portion near the middle bit.

Combat Reflexes
2011-05-24, 04:22 AM

really? You should seek out all the Ebay stuff and such, there are tons of players that sell their 3.5 books and buy 4.0 (the poor souls :smalltongue:)

Stevielash
2011-05-24, 07:48 AM
Two players handbooks and a DMG for 3rd edition plus 2nd edition players handbook and forgotten realms guide for £10 at oxfam (charity shop). Gurps basic set+horror+supers also for £10. I was a happy man on those days :smallsmile:.

Jarawara
2011-05-24, 07:19 PM
I've got a friend who's got us all beat, when it comes to bargains.

He collects miniatures, especially the old Grenadier ones from the late 70's, early 80's. He's got quite a few box sets of them, but some of the sets are missing a few out of them. He and I are always on the look out for a spare stash of them being sold at goodwill or whereever.

So he walks into a gamestore in Lynnwood, sees a bag of miniatures in the glass case - totally unorganized and unlabled, just a grab bag of old miniatures - priced at $15 bucks. He thinks he sees one or two that might go with his set, so he buys the bag and takes it home.

Opens it up to find over a dozen rare and valuable minatures, several of which complete some of his hard-to-find box sets, total value of them could be listed in the hundreds to the right buyer (and I should know, as *I* am that right buyer and have easily spent that kind of money to complete a set).

Then he looks over the rest of the miniatures in the bag, decides he doesn't want the flotsom and jetsom, and takes it up to a gamestore in Everett to see if they would buy it from him. They do.

The price they offer him? $20 bucks. He actually made $5 dollars on the extras, after taking out all the valuable miniatures from the bag.

Gah... lucky bas***d.... :smallmad::smallwink:

*~*~*

(And I won't even admit to how much I paid when I bought the completed sets from him!)

Aidan305
2011-05-24, 07:24 PM
All of the Planescape books (sans adventures unfortunately) and the novels for €70.

some guy
2011-05-25, 10:04 AM

What?! And here I was thinking Koninginnedag sales would yield nothing in the department of D&D. I should go pay more attention to them. Do you have any special techniques, places to look that you can share with us?

Combat Reflexes
2011-05-25, 11:23 AM
What?! And here I was thinking Koninginnedag sales would yield nothing in the department of D&D. I should go pay more attention to them. Do you have any special techniques, places to look that you can share with us?

Snatching a bargain doesn't require skill at all :smallfrown: it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time, AFAIK. Seek, and thou shalt find!

edit: wait, there is a technique. When at a jumble sale, be sure to be one of the first people (if not the first) attending. The cool stuff always goes first.