PDA

View Full Version : Feat Selection for a Warblade

Morbis Meh
2011-05-20, 12:04 PM
Hello playgrounders,

In an upcoming campaign I am playing a female raptoran warblade starting at lvl 5 and I just wanted some feedback/suggestions on feat selection. This is what I have so far:

(flaw):Power Attack
(flaw): Combat Relflexes
(Bonus feat for racial sub that DM made): Ironheart Aura
Lvl 1: Improved Bullrush
Lvl 3: Leap Attack (DM allowed this because I am playing a raptoran and since I automatically have a +10 mod for jumping it was OK'ed)
Lvl 5: Martial Study- Revitalizing Strike (The DM also allowed this to be apart of the warblade bonus feat list)
Lvl 6: Shocktrooper (I think this will do nicley here)
Lvl 9: Stormguard Warrior
Bonus: Martial Stance-Thicket of Blades (Again DM approved)
Lvl 12:Robilar's Gambit
Lvl 15:Overwhelming Assault?
Bonus: Blind-Fight?
Lvl 18: ???

My Stats are as follows:
Str-18
Dex- 14
Con- 16
Int- 14
Wis- 12
Cha- 11

and please no build suggestions I want to play a pure Warblade.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-20, 12:12 PM
I think you are pretty set up, this seems to be some kind of AoO warblade, so I don't really see what could be used in that level 18 slot... so you are set for the next 13 levels. Don't sweat it, it looks perfect to me

Jude_H
2011-05-20, 12:47 PM
I'd try to work Shadow Stride in somewhere, either through Martial Study or a set of Shadow Hands. It just makes battlefield control less controlling.

Morbis Meh
2011-05-20, 01:37 PM
I'd try to work Shadow Stride in somewhere, either through Martial Study or a set of Shadow Hands. It just makes battlefield control less controlling.

Yeah but playing as a raptoran I will be able to fly so that makes battle field control easier anyways.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 01:53 PM
Yeah but playing as a raptoran I will be able to fly so that makes battle field control easier anyways.You won't be able to fly until next level, and even then only a few rounds at the time.

Besides, he meant that it allows you to avoid battlefield control better.

[Edit]: Oh yeah, raptorans gain flight a bit faster than dragonborn.

Veyr
2011-05-20, 03:05 PM
Karmic Strike (Player's Handbook II) might be appropriate: gain an AoO if they hit you from Robilar's Gambit, gain two if they miss! Assumes that this is allowed; the general rule that an action cannot provoke twice may prevent it from working, depending on whether or not you take the specific rules of Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit as "trumping" the general rule there.

Martial Study (Defensive Rebuke) could also be good: provoke if you attack me, provoke if you attack my allies!

Sir Enigma
2011-05-20, 04:22 PM
A slight note - Revitalizing Strike requires at least one other Devoted Spirit maneuver, so how are you taking it with Martial Study?

For the last feat, you could take another Martial Study to get a high-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (Greater Divine Surge, for example), or you could even drop Blind-Fight and take Martial Study twice, and qualify for the 9th level Devoted Spirit strike at level 18. Not sure whether this is worth the investment of feats or not, but if you have nothing to do with them anyway...

Greenish
2011-05-20, 04:27 PM
Karmic Strike (Player's Handbook II) might be appropriate: gain an AoO if they hit you from Robilar's Gambit, gain two if they miss! Assumes that this is allowed; the general rule that an action cannot provoke twice may prevent it from working, depending on whether or not you take the specific rules of Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit as "trumping" the general rule there.Robilar's triggers when enemy attacks you (whether said attack hits or not), Karmic when that attack connects.

Veyr
2011-05-20, 04:31 PM
Yes, but it's still the same 'action', I think. Like I said, I think it's dubious, and I haven't double-checked the relevant wording to formulate an opinion on it myself.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 04:36 PM
the general rule that an action cannot provoke twiceWhere is that rule, then? I've heard it a bunch of times, but never have been given an actual reference.

I'm inclined to claim there is no such "general rule", and people are just misremembering how movement provoking Attacks of Opportunity works.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-20, 05:36 PM
Where is that rule, then? I've heard it a bunch of times, but never have been given an actual reference.

I'm inclined to claim there is no such "general rule", and people are just misremembering how movement provoking Attacks of Opportunity works.

I want to say that it was from an FAQ article on how, if, say a creature were to run away from a large+ sized monster and provoke, that monster would only get one AoO from said movement, despite moving through multiple threatened squares. That said, I'm not sure if there's a "RAWer" answer than that to it.

Hirax
2011-05-20, 05:40 PM
Push combat reflexes to the level 5 bonus feat, and take battle jump (Unapproachable East) at level 1 if you want to up your damage more. Alternatively you could simply replace leap attack with battle jump. Leap attack only doubles your power attack damage, battle jump double everything.

Greenish
2011-05-20, 05:45 PM
I want to say that it was from an FAQ article on how, if, say a creature were to run away from a large+ sized monster and provoke, that monster would only get one AoO from said movement, despite moving through multiple threatened squares.Well, yes, movement only provokes once per turn per enemy, no matter how many threatened squares you move through or how many actions you use for that, that's as per the standard rules.

I fail to see how that applies to anything else, but maybe the FAQ said something about that.

FMArthur
2011-05-20, 07:39 PM
Robilar's and Karmic create separate provocations; there is no conflict or overlap. The only limitations are: 1) you cannot take multiple AoOs per provocation, and 2) movement specifically only provokes once even when they move out of multiple spaces you threaten.

If you like you can houserule that one action can only provoke once, but it's just not in the rules, at all.

Hirax
2011-05-20, 07:45 PM
There are a few ways to make multiple attacks per AoO. The Mini Handbook has a feat that lets you hit with both weapons per AoO. Dragon #340 has improved and greater CR, which allow you to make 2 and 3 attacks per provocation. The second attack is at -5, and the third at -10, and each attack you take counts against the total numbers of AoOs per round.

AslanCross
2011-05-20, 08:17 PM
I think Defensive Sweep is much more useful than Overwhelming Assault in the "Requires BAB +15" department. It's much easier to trigger and with Rapid Counter, it's fantastic. Overwhelming Assault's bonus is, ironically, underwhelming.

Veyr
2011-05-20, 11:06 PM
Where is that rule, then? I've heard it a bunch of times, but never have been given an actual reference.

I want to say that it was from an FAQ article on how, if, say a creature were to run away from a large+ sized monster and provoke, that monster would only get one AoO from said movement, despite moving through multiple threatened squares. That said, I'm not sure if there's a "RAWer" answer than that to it.
Well, yes, movement only provokes once per turn per enemy, no matter how many threatened squares you move through or how many actions you use for that, that's as per the standard rules.

I fail to see how that applies to anything else, but maybe the FAQ said something about that.
Robilar's and Karmic create separate provocations; there is no conflict or overlap. The only limitations are: 1) you cannot take multiple AoOs per provocation, and 2) movement specifically only provokes once even when they move out of multiple spaces you threaten.

If you like you can houserule that one action can only provoke once, but it's just not in the rules, at all.
Aha; somehow I'd come to the conclusion that the rule was actually written somewhere, but as I said:

I haven't double-checked the relevant wordingThat would be one of the things I hadn't double-checked. :smallsmile:

Morbis Meh
2011-05-21, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=Sir Enigma;11033060]A slight note - Revitalizing Strike requires at least one other Devoted Spirit maneuver, so how are you taking it with Martial Study?

My DM house ruled that all manuevers/stances no longer had any requirements other than the level, to him it's like a wizard is unable to learn a new spell since them do not have enough spells of a certain school.

Morbis Meh
2011-05-21, 02:29 AM
As for the suggestions for battle jump, I really like it and i will keep Leap attack because why wouldn't they stack??? One doubles all damage and the other increases the multiplier for power attack. As for karmic strike I do not want to burn a feat on mobility.

Hirax
2011-05-21, 02:35 AM
You might also look into the valorous property for weapons, also in Unapproachable East. Another way to boost charge damage.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-21, 02:35 AM
They do stack: the issue is that Battle Jump has the issue of being a "first level only" regional feat.:smallwink:

AslanCross
2011-05-21, 05:37 AM
As for karmic strike I do not want to burn a feat on mobility.

The weapon property "Mobility" gives you the feat. You can take Karmic Strike, although it "turns off" when you take off the armor due to not meeting the prerequisites. Get a restful crystal so you never have to take it off. Ask the wizard for Prestidigitation to deal with any undesirable odors.

Morbis Meh
2011-05-21, 12:43 PM
The weapon property "Mobility" gives you the feat. You can take Karmic Strike, although it "turns off" when you take off the armor due to not meeting the prerequisites. Get a restful crystal so you never have to take it off. Ask the wizard for Prestidigitation to deal with any undesirable odors.

No worries about the armor, my DM is requiring me to have mithril armor if I use anything above light armor so as it stands I do not need a restful crystal (he has also nerfed any type of heavy armor as a raptoran due to the restriction on the wings. My bad the requirements for karmic strike are dodge and combat expertise both useless feats, so it is really undesirable at the moment. I will talk to my dm about the other feat maybe he will be generous, though I doubt it since he has already allowed stuff for me...